• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat The Official TCSS Thread

jw5

Loyal
By Raphael Honigstein

from espnfc.com

Bayern Munich star David Alaba confident leading Austria at Euro 2016

How does the pressure of playing for Bayern Munich, a club that has to win every trophy every season, compare with that of being the star man for Austria at the Euros? David Alaba pondered the question.

"It's not easy to answer that," the 23-year-old told ESPN FC. "At Bayern, the bar is set very high, and we all know how to deal with it. We live with that amount of pressure every day, otherwise we wouldn't be able to maintain our level of performances. Playing for the national team, you are aware that a whole country wants you to succeed, but you mustn't get side-tracked.

"This set of players has qualified for their first tournament. We don't have to downplay our qualities. But making it to France was only the beginning. I'm sure we can handle the expectations."

Whether there will be similar cool-headedness at home -- in a land that played a pivotal role in shaping the game on the continent before the Second World War but has been completely starved of international football success of late -- is another matter.

"Everybody will go completely nuts if we won our first game against Hungary," Alaba said with a smile. "And so they should! We want to see the country getting euphoric. But we can only make that happen by keeping our focus on the first match and thinking small. The aim is to start on a positive note and then keep on going."

The five-time Austrian Player of the Year and most popular sports personality in the alpine nation doesn't come across as someone who might be overburdened by the responsibility of being the team's playmaker and chief goal-scoring threat (four goals in qualifying) from midfield. In fact, he seems to relish it. If it were up to him, he would play centrally at club level too.

"I've said it a few times over the years that I'm very happy in midfield," he said confidently. "My club knows that."

i

Ever since Louis van Gaal gave him his Bundesliga debut at Bayern as a full-back in March 2010 at the age of 17, a succession of coaches at the Allianz Arena have predominantly used the incredibly versatile player in a wide defensive position. (He moonlighted as a centre-back under Pep Guardiola in the season past also played a de facto midfield whenever the Catalan coach asked his full-backs to move high up the pitch, narrowly). There were whispers that more time in the middle of the park was one of the conditions he set for renewing his contract until 2021.

Not true, Alaba said.

"We did talk about that, but this one was really about other things," he said. "I'm 23 now. First of all, I thought very carefully about where I saw myself play over the next few years. Then I made a clear decision that it would be at FC Bayern. I'm grateful to be here. They're one of the best clubs in the world."

Munich has become like "a second home" to him, he added -- "a small version" of his home town, Vienna, only a few hours from the Austrian capital and quite similar in terms of lifestyle.

"They understand my dialect here, Bavarian is not too different," he said. "As for playing in midfield, we'll see what happens over the next few years."

He hasn't had a chance to inquire about incoming Bayern coach Carlo Ancelotti's thoughts on the matter.

The German champions weren't able to win the Champions League under Guardiola -- "Football isn't always fair, especially at this level ... you can be the better team and still lose," Alaba said of the team's semifinal exit against Atletico -- but the son of a Nigerian father and mother from the Philippines has no doubt that the Pep years have seen significant collective and individual improvement.

"He has developed us further," Alaba said. "He taught us many news things, made us better."

The Austrian was one of main beneficiaries of Guardiola's tactical flexibility, as he changed effortlessly between roles during matches. "I've yet to understand what position Alaba played tonight," a puzzled Paolo Rossi said in an Italian TV studio after Bayern's 7-1 destruction of AS Roma in the Italian capital in 2014.

For Austria, Alaba is needed at the very heart of proceedings. For all the considerable talent in the squad, there isn't anyone as complete as him, no peer able to combine strong athleticism with defensive know-how and creativity. He takes very good free kicks, too, and spends hours every week fine-tuning a technique inspired by David Beckham, Juninho and Didier Drogba. Alaba started practising free kicks when he was a 15-year-old at (the Vienna-based club) Austria and was an admirer of Patrick Vieira.

"There are days when I think I don't have it," he admitted. But he does have it. So much so, in fact, that his importance for Austria might well go beyond the game.

His father, George, is a DJ and served in the Austrian army, and Alaba Jr, who could have played for Germany but told kicker magazine that "was never an option for me," represents a successful immigration story in a country that sometimes struggles to embrace diversity.

Last month, Austria nearly voted in a presidential candidate from the anti-immigration Freedom Party (FPO). Two years ago, an FPO politician resigned after a magazine he published called Alaba "raven-black."

The player is wary of commenting directly on politics ("It's not really my thing") but talks movingly about a visit to a refugee camp that left little doubt about his feelings.

"I'm aware that I'm a role model as a footballer, so I went to the camp and brought them some shoes," he said. "I had fun with some of the kids. I'm trying my best."

His best on the pitch could be enough to help Austria to their best tournament since a third-place finish at the 1954 World Cup. It might promote more tolerance as a result, even if Alaba refuses to think in those terms.

"I just want the Euros to start," he said. "We all can't wait."

VanGaal

Alfrescian
Loyal
After 0-2 upset by Italy, we see Hungary with the same scoreline.

Bookies day. Huat Ah!

Last edited:

jw5

Loyal
By Gabriele Marcotti

from espnfc.com

Troubled times for Leonid Slutsky as he leads Russia at Euro 2016

PARIS -- If Russia coach Leonid Slutsky wears the hangdog expression of a man with the weight of the world on his shoulders, that's because, right now, it's how he must feel.

In less than two years, his country will host the World Cup. He may, or may not, be there. Either way, his job is to lay the foundations for 2018 so Russia aren't embarrassed on home soil, at least not by their football. And, because of the severe cutbacks that have hit the Russian FA, he's basically donating his time. He's the only one of the 24 coaches at Euro 2016 who is not earning a salary but is instead compensated strictly through bonuses. Since his appointment less than a year ago, he's been doing double duty, coaching both Russia and CSKA Moscow, whom he led to the Russian title this season.

As if that weren't enough, even if he gets the job done on the pitch, it may all be out of his hands anyway if the GoPro-toting, cheeseball shorts sporting, gum-shield wearing, MMA-wannabe hoodlums who shamed his country in Marseille stir up trouble again.

That's right, there's a twin axe hanging over Russia. UEFA's Disciplinary Committee announced Tuesday that they had slapped his country with a "suspended disqualification" following the trouble at the Stade Velodrome. That means that if similar incidents occur inside Lille's Stade Pierre-Mauroy on Wednesday against Slovakia or inside any other Euro 2016 venue, Russia will be thrown out of the competition.

Then there's the threat from UEFA's Executive Committee, which covers events outside the stadium, like the running street battles in Marseille. On Sunday, they voted 15-0 to issue Russia (and England) with a clear warning: any more violence away from the grounds and they will be punished with any measure up to, and potentially including, expulsion.

i

Unsurprisingly, Slutsky has had to answer questions about the hooliganism. In Marseille, when information was still sparse, he understandably ducked them. Ahead of the Slovakia match, he sounded as if he was reading off a prepared statement, urging Russian fans to support the team while remaining "within the legal framework."

Either way, his discomfort in talking about it is evident. He looks like somebody who would rather be sitting in a dentist's chair getting a root canal than having to be the footballing face of a nation and explaining the inexplicable.

His side are the second oldest in the tournament but, for his part, he has tried to bring change to a group which, over the years, appeared ossified if not downright coddled and spoiled according to critics back home. Five of his starters against England had fewer than 15 caps when they stepped on the pitch. Oleg Shatov was the fourth most capped player with 24.

The problem is that, if the England game is anything to go by, the new-look Russia appears an awful lot like the old Russia, minus the odd unpredictable genius à la Andrei Arshavin. That's because the two virtuosos he was counting on, Alan Dzagoev and Igor Denisov, both got hurt before the tournament.

On top of that, the one area where he hasn't brought in new faces is central defence, where the old sequoia partnership of Sergei Ignashevich and Vasili Berezutski -- 215 caps and, come next month, 71 years between them -- still patrol the area ahead of Igor Akinfeev.

Like many national team coaches, he's caught between picking loyalty and experience or youth and growth. He chose the former at the back and, to be fair, he was rewarded as it was Berezutski's looping header that earned Russia an improbable point against England.

Slovakia will be a different proposition. Not because they are necessarily more gifted than England -- they're probably not -- but because they're likely to be more circumspect and pick their spots. They're also more compact, tactically solid and likely happy to leave the initiative to Slutsky's men. That will require a different game plan than simply looking for the plus-sized battering ram that is Artem Dzyuba at centre-forward.

At the end of the month, Slutsky's contract with the Russian FA will expire and he'll either be asked to stay on, in which case he either has more double duty to look forward to or he'll have to resign his CSKA gig. Either that, or his contract won't be renewed and he'll go back to exclusively club football.

Until then, he'll need to figure out how to hit his targets, so that at least he can get paid, while at the same time dealing with pressure from every corner: the world's media, UEFA, his own government and minister of sport Vitaly Mutko.

Maybe you can excuse Slutsky for looking absolutely miserable and brow-beaten. He'll smile -- maybe - if and when he gets Russia to the knockout round. If they go even further, maybe he'll laugh, too.

VanGaal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't understand why Ukraine are hot favorites to beat Northern Ireland when it should have been the other way. Was expecting 0-1.

VanGaal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ukraine knocked out of Euro 2016

Oli Platt

TTnylDa.jpg

Mykhaylo Fomenko's side are the first team to be eliminated from the tournament following Germany's draw with Poland, which leaves them stranded at the bottom of Group C

Ukraine have become the first team to be eliminated from Euro 2016.

Germany's 0-0 draw with Poland on Thursday evening leaves Mykhaylo Fomenko's side stranded at the bottom of Group C following their 2-0 defeat to Northern Ireland.

Ukraine are three points behind the Green and White Army with one group match - against Poland - remaining and the first tiebreaker used to separate teams is their head-to-head record.

That means the eastern European nation cannot overtake Northern Ireland regardless of their results on matchday three.

Germany lead Group C on goal difference, with Poland level with the world champions on four points and Northern Ireland, on three, also still in with a chance of topping the table.

Baimi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
7 BPL players start for Belgium, 4 on the bench.
Players in action:
Thibaut Courtois
Thomas Vermaelen
Toby Alderweireld
Jan Vertonghen
Thomas Meunier
Kevin De Bruyne
Mousa Dembélé
Axel Witsel
Romelu Lukaku
Eden Hazard
Yannick Ferreira-Carrasco

Subs:

Jean-Francois Gillet
Divock Origi
Laurent Ciman
Dries Mertens
Marouane Fellaini
Christian Benteke
Michy Batshuayi
Simon Mignolet
Christian Kabasele
Jordan Lukaku
Jason Denayer
Radja Nainggolan

jw5

Loyal
7 BPL players start for Belgium, 4 on the bench.
Players in action:
Thibaut Courtois
Thomas Vermaelen
Toby Alderweireld
Jan Vertonghen
Thomas Meunier
Kevin De Bruyne
Mousa Dembélé
Axel Witsel
Romelu Lukaku
Eden Hazard
Yannick Ferreira-Carrasco