• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The New Paper: Local workers choosy yet foreign workers suffer

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,204654,00.html?

No driving licence, no work
June 11, 2009

WITH HIS licence taken away, Mr Rengasamy Murali and his colleagues are at a loss about what to do next.

Said Mr Murali: 'I don't know the law and system. Boss says want to get Singapore driving licence, I take. Boss says drive, I drive.'

He has been driving his fellow workers to and from worksites for four years since he converted his Indian driving licence into a Class 3 Singapore driving licence in 2005.

Mr Murali's S-pass application was approved just a week before his work permit was cancelled.

Said his boss, Mr Fong: 'He (Mr Murali) is a good worker, serious about his duties and responsible. Over the 10 years, I have seen his capability and initiative.

'To make him eligible for S-pass application, I was prepared to pay him $1,800 a month, up from his previous pay of $1,200.'

Another driver, Mr Murthi, told The New Paper when we visited the dormitory last Monday: 'I have always driven carefully and never had any problems. Now, I cannot work, I have no money and cannot work more even though I want to.'

Both Mr Murali and Mr Murthi have kept their families updated of what has happened to them in Singapore.

Said Mr Murali: 'I told my wife and she said, 'Never mind, just come home.' But I told her I don't even have my passport.'

Another driver, Mr Muthusaravanaan, said: 'If I can't drive, I can work at the construction site. it doesn't matter.

'I can do anything. I just want to work here.'

The Ministry of Manpower has offered the men caught on 22May temporary passes to work in the construction sector, but only two out of the 11 men took up the offer.

Even then, they insisted on working as drivers and did not consider the other jobs on offer, said a ministry spokesman.

The Indian National gets a 33.3% pay increase, while the locals get paid $1,800 less 20% CPF cut, and yet the local employers complain local workers are fussy.

They have to pay for driving licence in S$, and gets demerit points if they do not drive carefully, and looses the licence. Once lost, they would have to spend money, lost of income etc., to sit for a new licence all over again.

While the Indian National gets almost scott free with their driving antics, and cheap conversion of INDIA DRIVING licence to Singapore driving licence.

That is why all SINGAPOREANS are farked...and FARKED even more, having to serve National Service & spend years toiling over Reservist, with IPPT, in-camp etc..

Better off being a third world citizen, whose heaven is in a so-called first world country likd SINgapore...

Singapore workers....:eek: gets farked every day, and LOVING IT!:mad:

DingDong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Traitor? I do NS too and proudly. I serve willingly and don't complain

I agree with bringing in foreigners because they are good for business and society.

Locals are too pampered and cannot work

You are an employee

i am an employer. From an employer's point of view, foreigners are much better value for money. They are also more focused on work, unlike locals who are more focused on complaining

Also plse be relevant in your discussion. what the fuck has minister salaries got to do with my topic. Must politicise everything. you love the ministers so much cannot stop thinking of them. oh yeah you need them to nanny you because you are a useless weakling who demands government protection.

You should sack those lazy locals and employ more FT. Then you will see your profits double.

SamuelStalin

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is that keling shit banova888?

So the goal is to hope that you die younger and die before me right?

That thread will NEVER be 5 stars don't worry. I won't allow freak accidents (including you) to pervert justice by overrating an extremely boring and senseless article even after you're dead.

So much for worthless failures and apparent social rubbish like you ~ :smile::smile::smile:

littlefish

Alfrescian
Loyal
Uniquely Singapore. First world country with third world working conditions and mentality. I suppose this is what many Singaporeans want. Get highly paid but pay others as low as possible. Soon, they will find that their highly-paid jobs (except for those with iron rice bowls) will also disappear if they have not realised that yet.

khunking

Alfrescian
Loyal
Excuses and more excuses. I'm sure there are takers out there since someone wrote in about being rejected for a $500 newspaper delivery job.

Page 4 today in The New Paper:

Construction companies want to hire local drivers at $1,800
but local drivers don't want to wake up early and don't want to work overtime

They are forced to use foreign drivers but MOM says cannot use foreign worker to drive, discriminate

Why? If the local doesn't want the job at $1,800, why can't foreign worker do at $1,200.

Why?

If local want, then let them take but if local don't want and are choosy, why blame the employer or the foreign worker

If there is a shortage, we should import those who are willing to fill the space that locals DONT WANT

Please have a logical rational discussion, not emotional and irresponsible one

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
come on lah. You really believe 1800 to drive a car, Singaporeans dun want? They would rather go and be a waiter.

Why pple so naive? The real pay of a driver is around $1200, please lah. Dun challenge me hor. My father in law earns ard 1k a month as a driver and a friend's father sama sama.

FuckSamLeong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hey SAFGU guard dog Besotted or whatever nic, bogus restaurant owner, fuck you lah! You are a fucking PAP IB and I offer my best wishes that you and your family members get knocked down by FT drivers and end up wheel chair bound of the rest of your fucking lives. By the way, has your Sichuan slut died of VD yet!...lol...lol

SamuelStalin

Alfrescian
Loyal
Uniquely Singapore. First world country with third world working conditions and mentality. I suppose this is what many Singaporeans want. Get highly paid but pay others as low as possible. Soon, they will find that their highly-paid jobs (except for those with iron rice bowls) will also disappear if they have not realised that yet.

Are there any real iron rice bowl jobs in Singapore? We heard even Army personnel gets reevaluated every now and then to determine if they are worth keeping on their job.