• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The Mainland Chinese and Chinese overseas..why the differences.

Batok Seri

Alfrescian
Loyal
Manners, hygiene, graciousness.
I came across very same complaints from locals about mainland Chinese newcomers.

But I read these in books written during colonial times.

Last edited:

sukhoi-30

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, i agreed that in terms of mannerism, graciousness,public spiritness,hygiene, there were none on the minds of the PRC chinese at least in the area where i was. Cutting queues is one example. Fights and petty quarrels always happened when everyone try to cut the queue...even pushing down elderly or young children..They just don't care..

Another aspect is the lack of public spirtness.A chinese friend confide in me that if a person fainted on a public road, passerbys will likely ignore him. In public places like buses, trains, many were just chop their place on the seat and refuse to let other sit even if the seat is for two or three people. Quarrels always happened when another person forcibly tried to take the seat. The people seems to always be ready for some petty quarrels....it is a daily happening in China, i was told.

The worst part is that these lack of mannerism and graciousness towards others happened in all spectrum, from young children, middle age to the elderly. It is a sort of national culture which is quite embarrasing esp in the sight of westerners and Japanese people.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A friend who has just returned from Hongkong had a shock at the degree of intense dislike by Hongkongers of PRC Chinese that anyone who spoke Mandarin were either ignored or shooed away. Unless you tell them you are Taiwanese or S'porean,the language of Mandarin really turned them off.

I personally visit HK not too long ago and I can tell you that HK people are learning Mandarin and treating China people with respect.
Shops are also accepting RMB directly.

Just watch HK tour guide apologising to Chinese tourists by making them buy things.

True, Chinese people buying up all baby milk in HK but China is calling the shots, what can HK people do?

sukhoi-30

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes..Chinese tourism to HK and other destination is increasing by the day. HK tourist guides have learn Mandarin to cater to them.However you can see that the chinese tourists were not genuinely respected compare from those who came from US,Europe,Australia or Japan.The sight of them and Mandarin is increasingly turning the majority of Hongkongers,Taiwanese or even S'poreans off.

I think the actions of some mainlanders played a part in this negative perception of people towards them. A friend who works in HK disneyland was utterly disguished when she witnessed mainlanders spitting inside the park while another made her son pee on the pavement. I personally experienced pushing and shoving in the theme park which later developed into a large shrieking shouting match between the mainlander tourists themselves until security has to be called in. Those reports of maninlanders coming to HK maternity hospitals and then refusing to pay for the services, hoarding of stuffs,their rude and somewhat funny behavior in tourist sites made them unwelcomed even if they are willingly to spent.

It's the same thing in Taiwan and other destination. A mainlander friend jokingly told me that these explain why mainland police are so famous for their brutality. The police in China he said are in no hesitation to beat up people who cut queues, pushes or fights and who dirtied tourist sites esp in Beijing Forbidden city.

I'm not sure whether their actions stems from their recent mismatched economic sucess and personal norms.Maybe it is a part of the larger negative trait of the chinese people? But hopefully, as the chinese government started to educate and bring back traditional chinese values and instilled the Chinese people with Confucianist,Taoist and Buddhist values to create a harmonious society, we hope to see less and less of these negative traits from them in the future.

It's better to be late then never.

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
In their quest to become rich, i have no doubt that they will kill or plunder. If i have a gun and six bullets, and i am stuck in a lift with an ah neh and a PRChinese, it might be a tough choice! Must really whack all 6 on one of them. lol