• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

the Haze in Singapore - blame the palm oil companies?

ionzu

Alfrescian
Loyal
i've been doing some research on the haze that envelopes singapore every 3rd quarter...

it seems the haze first begun in 1997: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997_Southeast_Asian_haze

initially the haze was blamed on small local farms in indonesia engaging in slash and burn. this has since been disproved.

so what happened in 1997? why weren't we subject to the haze in earlier years? (especially since the small indo farms have been slashing and burning for decades, if not centuries)

here's what i found:
Founded in 1996, GAR is listed on the Singapore Exchange since 1999 with a market capitalisation of US$7.6 billion as at 31 July 2012. Golden Agri-Resources Ltd ("GAR") is the world's second largest palm oil plantation company with a total planted area of 457,000 hectares (including smallholders) as at 30 June 2012, located in Indonesia. It has integrated operations focused on the production of palm-based edible oil and fat.

is this just a coincidence?

If indeed GAR and other palm oil companies are the root cause of the haze, the government via SGX should take action against them.

Last edited:

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal
How large a land can a local farmer burn. If that farmer could cause such a haze burning his land then I must say that farmer must be a tycoon.
I have seen land being razed by corporation in Indonesia. It is huge tracks of land that streches for miles.

oppoibchief

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
dont blame the palm oil company.
blame the MNCs in the FMCG industry. P&G, Colgate, Unilever, Kraft, Reckitt, Nestle and all are cuplrits.
They create the demand for palm oil in their products.

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have just zapped that monk fo stupidity.
Don't be such a fucktard. If Golden Agri is the main culprit, the company is run by the Widjaja family who is highly connected with the corrupt Indo officials. What's new! Stop blaming other country! :oIo:

oppoibchief

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
ALL these MNC have their regional offices in Singapore and most are given TAX BREAKS by Singapore government EDB.

You should ask why PAP is not challenging these western MNCs and instead giving them tax breaks to pollute the environment.

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
ALL these MNC have their regional offices in Singapore and most are given TAX BREAKS by Singapore government EDB. You should ask why PAP is not challenging these western MNCs and instead giving them tax breaks to pollute the environment.

Yes, that is true, but a separate issue altogether. Sinkie govt indeed can screw these companies but you have to get into proving their guilt and all that and that is going to take years. So don't be an idiot to be fooled by these fucking Indos absolving themselves of responsibilities.

The primary responsibility lies in the hand of the fucking Indo govt.
The Indo fucktards have to stop blaming others for their atrocities and get their act together. It is in their own fucking territory, for goodness sake.
:oIo::oIo::oIo::oIo::oIo::oIo::oIo::oIo:

oppoibchief

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
its the demands for palm oil that creates the cycle.
go see how much palm oil prices have gone up.

so if these western mnc producing goods have high demand for palm oil to produce their products, more forests will be burnt to satify these demands.

oppoibchief

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
By the way, EDB IS ALSO A CHIEF CULPRIT IN THE FT ISSUE IN SINGAPORE.
When EDB grant sthese MNCs tax breaks, they also make these MNCs commit to a minimum number of foregners to bring in. It goes into 1000s.

I know this is not related to palm oil. I am just sayingbthat EDB activities has to be checked!

PAPIBCHIEF

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
By the way, EDB IS ALSO A CHIEF CULPRIT IN THE FT ISSUE IN SINGAPORE.
When EDB grant sthese MNCs tax breaks, they also make these MNCs commit to a minimum number of foregners to bring in. It goes into 1000s.

I know this is not related to palm oil. I am just sayingbthat EDB activities has to be checked!

But if PAP's EDB does not ensure a min commitment for these MNCs FTs to be brought into Singapore, the property market would collapse. HDB prices will collapse too!

oppoibchief

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
But if PAP's EDB does not ensure a min commitment for these MNCs FTs to be brought into Singapore, the property market would collapse. HDB prices will collapse too!

U twit! it is because of these damn FTs that EDB have brought in that cause inflation and cost of living and COEprices to rocket sky high. Meanwhile, salaries for locals have not increased. Only PAP MINISTERS have theri salries increased but not the normal folks!

ionzu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, that is true, but a separate issue altogether. Sinkie govt indeed can screw these companies but you have to get into proving their guilt and all that and that is going to take years. So don't be an idiot to be fooled by these fucking Indos absolving themselves of responsibilities.

The primary responsibility lies in the hand of the fucking Indo govt.
The Indo fucktards have to stop blaming others for their atrocities and get their act together. It is in their own fucking territory, for goodness sake.
:oIo::oIo::oIo::oIo::oIo::oIo::oIo::oIo:

thank you for zapping me. i had trouble finding this thread until i checked settings and found the link via your zap.

you are right, part of the responsibility lies in the hands of the indonesian government. in this case, issues of international law arises from the effects of trans-boundary pollution. i do not know enough to comment further.

i do not expect the sg government to escalate matters with the indos over this, that is just bad diplomacy.

however the various palm oil companies do have vested interests in singapore. and if we went the route of international law to get at these companies (fines to hurt their pockets, and the monies from fines to be used to alleviate the slashin and burning, then there is lesser risk of them relocating their operations to another jurisdiction because the 'long arm of the law' wil get them.

this is a matter that affects the air quality of many citizens of south east asia, not just singapore. young babies born during the haze period would be especially vulnerable. if the haze lasts for 3 months a year, about 8000 new borns will be affected each year. the long term health costs would be magnified if this occurred for the next 20 years. let alone the effects of haze to other vulnerable demographic groups.

"...Maybe in babies. In the sense that they are not completely developed yet,
so when they get exposed to particulate matter our or irritation, that may
cause scarring of the lungs. It may cause irritation that leads on to infection
like pneumonia. And pneumonia can cause damage to the lungs so it won‘t
stunt the growth of the lungs but it may cause permanent damage to the
lungs. If these babies get infection." - pg 57, attributed to "dr H" http://library.thinkquest.org/06aug/02304/final/lowbandwidthver/printable.pdf

this paper was written by a couple of secondary school kids and makes for an easy read for those who need an intro to the haze problem.

ionzu

Alfrescian
Loyal
so if these western mnc producing goods have high demand for palm oil to produce their products, more forests will be burnt to satify these demands.

the western MNCs are underpaying for the palm oil products. externalities are born by the people of SEA who have to put up with the cheaper technique of slash and burn. if the consumers in the west got their asses together and demanded the oil companies not use slash and burn (driving prices up, but they will sleep better at night knowing they are not killing babies in the far east) then we will have real respite from the haze.

eErotica69

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I am really amused with those Dr Chee Bye's doggies in this forum, simi lanjiao also can put the blame on PAP.

Good job!!

ionzu

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am really amused with those Dr Chee Bye's doggies in this forum, simi lanjiao also can put the blame on PAP.

Good job!!

you clearly do not realize the severity of the issue. perhaps you are no longer addicted to breathing?

ionzu

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have just zapped that monk fo stupidity.
Don't be such a fucktard. If Golden Agri is the main culprit, the company is run by the Widjaja family who is highly connected with the corrupt Indo officials. What's new! Stop blaming other country! :oIo:

LEEMANs2011

i hope you are choking to death now.

your stupidity has been revealed.

ionzu

Alfrescian
Loyal
companies like unilever, were forced by Greenpeace to stop buying from irresponsible firms like goldenagri. its only now that vivian is catching up on the game plan.

Einfield

Alfrescian
Loyal
Very interesting discovery, I was just asking that question why only late 90s we see this shit and not before that.
It is interesting to know that GAR is founded in 1996 and listed here in 1999.