• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The Guardian UK: Broadcasting: Survey Blow To BBC

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
In a recent article, just published on the website of the Guardian UK newspaper..the survey by Ipsos Mori said that there's less and less support by the British people for the BBC license.

Please note that Sky News, ITV and Channel 4 there don't charge license fees; they sell ads to support their services

Read below and salivate.

The Guardian

Broadcasting: Survey blow to BBC as public question case for licence fee

* Owen Gibson, media correspondent
* The Guardian,
* Monday August 18 2008
* Article history

The BBC is facing an uphill battle to maintain support for the licence fee, according to a new survey that shows almost half the population do not find it value for money.

A new Ipsos Mori poll for MediaGuardian also shows that the further north you live, the less likely you are to feel that the licence fee is an appropriate way of funding the BBC. The same is true of those in lower socioeconomic groups.

As media regulator Ofcom prepares to unveil the next phase of its wide-ranging public service broadcasting review, the results will prove troubling for BBC executives who have previously argued that the licence fee retains widespread support.

The poll suggests that while viewers enjoy the corporation's programmes - BBC1 is by some distance the most popular channel - a large proportion do not feel the licence fee is good value for money or an appropriate way of funding the BBC.

According to the figures, 41% agree that the licence fee is an "appropriate" funding mechanism and 37% disagree. But asked whether the licence fee is "good value for money", 47% disagree, with more than half of those disagreeing strongly.

Nor do the majority of people believe the licence fee ensures the provision of distinctive programming not available elsewhere - long one of the key arguments for its existence. Forty-one per cent of the population disagreed, with 30% agreeing.

The BBC Trust chairman, Sir Michael Lyons, last year commissioned research that showed viewers wanted the BBC to be more innovative.

The devil is in the detail for the BBC, with the survey confirming it is losing the support of swaths of the population and revealing a growing north-south divide. In Scotland, 35% of people believe the licence fee is an appropriate funding mechanism but 47% disagree. In the north of England, 37% agree and 44% disagree. But in London, 41% agree and 28% disagree.

While 56% of those classified in the higher-earning AB socioeconomic group believe the licence fee is an appropriate way of funding the BBC, that falls to 32% among those classified as DE. And while 61% of broadsheet readers agree, the figures fall to 36% among tabloid readers.

It has long been argued by its opponents that the case for the licence fee, which costs £139.50 a year and brings in £3.37bn annually, will be difficult to sustain in a fragmented digital age as the amount of time people spend consuming BBC programmes declines.

Conversely, the BBC argues it has a more important role than ever in bringing high-quality public service content to a wide audience. Director general Mark Thompson has also sought to broaden the justification for the universal licence fee, pointing to the BBC's impact on the economy, its global reputation and its role in British cultural life.

* guardian.co.uk © Guardian News and Media Limited 2008

DonJuanDemarco

Alfrescian
Loyal
Shouldn't they do a survey for the Radio n' TV licence in Singapore???

Personally, i don't watch CH5, CH8, CNA or ChU....

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I thinks gov. should waive TV licience for all singaporean citizen household. The amount is less than $100 million which they can save by reduce budget in SAF, Every years few Billion spent on SAF.

DonJuanDemarco

Alfrescian
Loyal
I thinks gov. should waive TV licience for all singaporean citizen household. The amount is less than $100 million which they can save by reduce budget in SAF, Every years few Billion spent on SAF.

Yah, i still like my faded looking No.4, if change to the new pixel uniform, i'll look like a chao recruit when going back for reservist liao!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
Shouldn't they do a survey for the Radio n' TV licence in Singapore???

Personally, i don't watch CH5, CH8, CNA or ChU....

They won't do it because they know that people do not support the license fee.

I mean, who wants to pay for the fee when people are already buying the products thru the ads from big corporations that are being shown on TV during prime time?

When Mediacorp is already earning big bucks through ads, and considering that they are also a monopoly, and therefore can charge high prices for ads, and won't suffer(because of price inelasticity), then there's no need to pay even more for the fee. And because of that, their profits are actually enough to fund those useless serial dramas and "comedies". And all of those National Education stuff on the telly as well.

So why the license? Do they actually need the extra money, when they are already earning our money through ads during prime time, and using that money for their NE stuff? No.

Simply to sum it up: its political.

And to hammer the point through: I did mention that other cable and network TV channels don't charge the fee in the UK. Make sure to file this report up and use it whenever the government argues that its necessary to maintain the fee. If you know economics thoroughly, you can argue strongly against such a fee.

DonJuanDemarco

Alfrescian
Loyal
Errr, i'm not that good with filing reports le bro The_Latest_H. I only know how to KPKB on the forum hehe, hope PAP is reading this lor :(