• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

THE GREAT SHAME: Excuses given why WP cannot cycle, but PAP can

NgEjay

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The following ST forum letter was published today:
DSP Paul Tay, 09 Sept. ST link

I REFER to last Thursday’s letter by Mr Tan Ghee Gay, ‘Why ‘no’ and ‘yes’?', regarding police decisions with respect to the Workers’ Party’s (WP) proposed mass cycling event last year, and the carnival on Aug 31.

Police do not issue permits for outdoor political events in public places due to the potential for disorder and unruly behaviour. This applies to events organised by all political parties. For this reason, police rejected WP’s application to hold a mass cycling activity in East Coast Park, to commemorate its 50th anniversary in September last year.

The event on Aug 31 was very different. The permit was issued after taking into account the organiser and the nature of the event. It was organised by the PAP Community Foundation, which is a registered charity and not a political party. The event was not assessed to have the potential for disorder and unruly behaviour. It was a carnival that involved children and families from various kindergartens and educational institutions. The Prime Minister, as guest of honour, and a few other guests, made their entrance by cycling a short distance. During the event, a sum of $664,000 (which had been raised earlier) was distributed to 17 charities, including Beyond Social Services, Children’s Aid Society and Chung Hwa Medical Institution.

DSP Paul Tay
Assistant Director (Media Relations)
Singapore Police Force

It is a great, great shame that the authorities have chosen to whitewash the matter with lame excuses.

First and foremost, why is there the outrageous and totally unjustified ASSUMPTION that events organized by political parties have a greater tendency for “disorder and unruly behaviour”?

Secondly, to say a permit can be granted in this case because it is organized by PAP Community Foundation, which is not a political party, is taking the general public for FOOLS.

Thirdly, is there a need to state that the PM cycled a “short distance“, just to assuage readers that the event was no big deal?

This ST forum letter is a load of hogwash. Enough said.

zack123

Alfrescian
Loyal
In this case would the oppo take up the challenge to form a charity foundation to overcome the problem?

BlueCat

Alfrescian
Loyal
WP should have apply and put WP's Family Day as a reason.
then maybe sure can approve.

hunter

Alfrescian
Loyal
I know bro Zack mentioned this, but for clarity:

Can the WP come out with a WP Community Foundation?

or

Can the SDP come out with a SDP Community Foundation?

There are other benefits too by setting up the Community Foundation, the community will benefit from the foundation and as such will win votes for the party.

If WP or SDP are not interested, next time don't complain cannot cycle while the PAP can.

ps. bro Zack, hope it's ok. don't break my skull :biggrin: :biggrin:

zack123

Alfrescian
Loyal
I know bro Zack mentioned this, but for clarity:

Can the WP come out with a WP Community Foundation?

or

Can the SDP come out with a SDP Community Foundation?

There are other benefits too by setting up the Community Foundation, the community will benefit from the foundation and as such will win votes for the party.

If WP or SDP are not interested, next time don't complain cannot cycle while the PAP can.

ps. bro Zack, hope it's ok. don't break my skull :biggrin: :biggrin:

Eh U Russianneh?:biggrin:

I agree with you that setting up those foundations would provide the oppo with more exposure to the community at large. Political parties shouldn't be focussed on politics but also spare some time to promote community work which will act to provide them with more credibility with the people at large.

Instead of spending too much money on Court cases, SDP can refocus their limited funds to set up such foundations. I believe their account are now bigger after the completion of their Annual Dinner.

denzuko1

Alfrescian
Loyal
The following ST forum letter was published today:
DSP Paul Tay, 09 Sept. ST link

I REFER to last Thursday’s letter by Mr Tan Ghee Gay, ‘Why ‘no’ and ‘yes’?', regarding police decisions with respect to the Workers’ Party’s (WP) proposed mass cycling event last year, and the carnival on Aug 31.

Police do not issue permits for outdoor political events in public places due to the potential for disorder and unruly behaviour. This applies to events organised by all political parties. For this reason, police rejected WP’s application to hold a mass cycling activity in East Coast Park, to commemorate its 50th anniversary in September last year.

The event on Aug 31 was very different. The permit was issued after taking into account the organiser and the nature of the event. It was organised by the PAP Community Foundation, which is a registered charity and not a political party. The event was not assessed to have the potential for disorder and unruly behaviour. It was a carnival that involved children and families from various kindergartens and educational institutions. The Prime Minister, as guest of honour, and a few other guests, made their entrance by cycling a short distance. During the event, a sum of $664,000 (which had been raised earlier) was distributed to 17 charities, including Beyond Social Services, Children’s Aid Society and Chung Hwa Medical Institution.

DSP Paul Tay
Assistant Director (Media Relations)
Singapore Police Force

It is a great, great shame that the authorities have chosen to whitewash the matter with lame excuses.

First and foremost, why is there the outrageous and totally unjustified ASSUMPTION that events organized by political parties have a greater tendency for “disorder and unruly behaviour”?

Secondly, to say a permit can be granted in this case because it is organized by PAP Community Foundation, which is not a political party, is taking the general public for FOOLS.

Thirdly, is there a need to state that the PM cycled a “short distance“, just to assuage readers that the event was no big deal?

This ST forum letter is a load of hogwash. Enough said.

Yes, WP found that they would rather go out in a bang, so they choose to celebrate their aniversary by creating havok and risk getting arrested.

To be honest, most Singaporeans are more intelligent than to believe in this crap. I mean isn't it more possible that our beloved PM Lee be the one courting more trouble? He is becoming the joke of the country and many would want to stop this. There are higher tendency of him getting a surprise attack than any other people. The DSP should ban that activity instead.

kiwibird7

Alfrescian
Loyal
Same idiotic reasons for having PAP contigents only in National Day parades, PAP Kindergartens in HDB estates.

Does it now mean that opposition parties can start and register opposition charitable organisations to have similar events?

Previously the Police deemed it impossible to ensure public safety, law and order issues over protest demonstrations. Even at the WTO meetings, demonstrations had to be confined to indoor areas.

Suddenly, protests demonstrations at HongLim park are allowed without all the 'dangers' associated with such large scale gatherings without the need to consult the police, just the National Parks online registrations will suffice?

PAP, govt agencies & Police Logic are difficult to comprehend?

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have never even seen a "reason" why PAP is allowed to have a contingent during NDP.

Dear Porifio

Alas the PAP rules are in favor of "big parties" and since there is only one big party by default QED, the rules favor them.

1. N Day Contingent. You need a min representation of ten seats or 15 seats. Problem one of rules or the opposition ?

2. PAP Community Foundation. You need a min of two million dollars SGD to set up something subject to normal charity commissioner rules. Unfortunately Opposition supporters who can afford two million dollars have to often in the past been more interested in donating to Charity via the good offices of the PAP. I can't for the life of me can't see why they can't learn to shut up and just donate directly.

3. Rally Sites- first come first serve, PAP have man power so again BKL all the good sites go to them

Locke

A

Alu862

Surprisingly the WP can have its national day activities by going around the estate but cycling is dangerous to the common good.

Maybe the govt should ban all political party members from owning bicycles? HAHA

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hey I never knew this, thanks. Typical bloody LKY's "Rule of Law":mad:

Dear Porifio

Alas the PAP rules are in favor of "big parties" and since there is only one big party by default QED, the rules favor them.

1. N Day Contingent. You need a min representation of ten seats or 15 seats. Problem one of rules or the opposition ?

Locke