• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The future of Singapore's Opposition

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
From the voters’ perspective, their willingness to use their votes conscientiously must be coupled with good choices provided to them.

For a first consideration, let us assess the capability of the leaders to stir the imagination of the voters.

NSP: do not know much of them to comment

SDA: Chiam appears to be not too well

RP: the strength of RP is derived from JBJ

WP: LTK is a cautious leader and plays a tight game. Thus he will be able to protect his party. But will he be able to inspire the neutral voters to vote for him?

SDP: CSJ is by far the most visible leader today. However he choose to work outside of the system and is painted in ugly dark tones by his opponents. Can his direction change and he use his strength and passion to bring about a future for the opposition?
Would you all like to peer into the crystal ball and share your insights?

Let me start:

(1) the emergence of a new outwardly neutral political party may well neutralized the current opposition. Then the opposition has no future.

(2) there are some talented people within the opposition, young and vibrant. If they have the vision, why not encourage them to form strong bonds with members of different parties, so that a common identity will grow.
Ok, over to you. What do you think will be the future of singapore's opposition?

guavatree

Alfrescian
Loyal
From the voters’ perspective, their willingness to use their votes conscientiously must be coupled with good choices provided to them.

soon PAP dog leetahbar the diabetic ugly fat slob chao ah kwa with kidney

disease will make his presence felt in the defense of his PAP masters.

when he's done sucking several of the bangalas' cocks he'll make his

way in here.

LOL

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
That is interesting guavatree.

The PAP does have a very good future in Singapore.

But do you think the opposition will have an equally good future?

If so, what will be that future like?

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
I thought it over last night and conclude that the present WP, RP, NSP, SDA do not have any imagination and strength to craft a future for Singaporeans.

SDP have. But they choose a different path and that path has a smaller proportion of voters wanting it.

That leaves only the PAP.

Three options arise:

(1) The rise of a ruling-party-sponsored opposition party that voters feel are better than the current crop. One guess is that the TOC may suit this role for these reasons:
(a) there is one article by Choo Zheng Xi in the net where he gave a specific disclaimer that he is not related to any political party. Yet those who know him had written in to say that he is. And Locke, you did lay bets that he can be a PAP MP in 4 years' time;

(b) there are other reasons but cannot recall them at this moment
(2) A power split within the PAP. And as to how likely this is, you need to factor in the power of money. If you are a Minister, you will choose to remain with your master. Because a Minister is an appointee by the person-in-charge.

There is only one reason why a power split will be initiated. Someone else wanted to be Prime Minister. That can be a dangerous situation for Singapore.

(3) An agreed split within the PAP. The PAP has moved to the right within the past two years, leaving some portions exposed. An internal split that is strategic will ensure the continuity of the PAP for years to come.

Because such a split is targetted at the dissatisfied voters.

However, ruling party sponsored checks-and-balances provide an independent layer of protection to the ruling party, not voters.

Looking at the situation realistically, yes, the odds favour the emergence from the ranks of the PAP.

guavatree

Alfrescian
Loyal
That is interesting guavatree. The PAP does have a very good future in Singapore.But do you think the opposition will have an equally good future?If so, what will be that future like?

isn't the PAP marderfarkers were the opposition once upon a time?

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
That is correct.

Do you therefore feel that the present opposition can become the ruling party? If so, why? If no, why?

guavatree

Alfrescian
Loyal
That is correct.Do you therefore feel that the present opposition can become the ruling party? If so, why? If no, why?

they can't ..... not in the immediate future ...... bcos the LEEgime's laws make doubly sure they will not make it to bcum the ruling party!

jw5

Loyal

For a first consideration, let us assess the capability of the leaders to stir the imagination of the voters.

WP: LTK is a cautious leader and plays a tight game. Thus he will be able to protect his party. But will he be able to inspire the neutral voters to vote for him?

SDP: CSJ is by far the most visible leader today. However he choose to work outside of the system and is painted in ugly dark tones by his opponents. Can his direction change and he use his strength and passion to bring about a future for the opposition?

Let me start:

(1) the emergence of a new outwardly neutral political party may well neutralized the current opposition. Then the opposition has no future.

(2) there are some talented people within the opposition, young and vibrant. If they have the vision, why not encourage them to form strong bonds with members of different parties, so that a common identity will grow.
Ok, over to you. What do you think will be the future of singapore's opposition?
Not bright. Capable men who are sensible, not merely anti pap but can see their faults and who have the country and citizens at heart, need to step forward.
But:
Where are these people?
Do they even exist?

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
That is a valid point JW5. And largely out of the control of the opposition parties.

Thus the question becomes "what can the opposition parties do that make them attractive to people to say "that's the party for me!""

There must be something they can do right?

Let's say that I am unimaginative. You are talented. If I ask you for help and you help me, does that not make me talented too?

jw5

Loyal
That is a valid point JW5. And largely out of the control of the opposition parties.

Thus the question becomes "what can the opposition parties do that make them attractive to people to say "that's the party for me!""

There must be something they can do right?

Let's say that I am unimaginative. You are talented. If I ask you for help and you help me, does that not make me talented too?
The world is made up of many instances where people of different talents get together to create something useful. I may have certain technical skills but you may have the talent for spotting people with technical skills, and skills of recruitment and persuasion.
That's why I hope that people with different talents will step forward and serve the nation. Unfortunately, most people are content with serving themselves and their families.

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
they can't ..... not in the immediate future ...... bcos the LEEgime's laws make doubly sure they will not make it to bcum the ruling party!

But the opposition are human beings too. Humans can think.

Guavatree, what will be your answers to these two questions:
(1) If you cannot become the ruling party, can you be a significant minority party?

(2) What can you do to get voters to vote for you?

ericgo32

Alfrescian
Loyal
My stand hasnt change after the last election. BOYCOTT until i sees and deem that our election process in Singapore is conduct in a free and fair manner.

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal

very good answer! why then do people still need to hide in SDP? people like yourself?

they endorsed themselves as "supporters" instead of "members". why is there this differentiation?

supporters do not need to pay membership fee and can mutinise if anything goes wrong is it? they are after all free spirit. if one could jump from pap to wp then to SDP...maybe the next stop would be RP which is now without jb jeya to lead.

to kawoki:

[Originally Posted by kakowi
From the voters’ perspective, their willingness to use their votes conscientiously must be coupled with good choices provided to them.]

the good choices u are referring to are very difficult to come by. singapore now is overtaken by personal gain than the more self-serving and bigger gain of nation.

take the late jbj for example. he spent his entire life fighting against paps and the leegime instead of using that energy to convince and buy over peasants' support to a more credulous cause, i.e, to improve, educate and enlighten peasants to real democracy.

it had become too personal. SDP sadly is doing the same that leaves many confused what really is their intention. is it to destroy the gabramen or to act as an alternative voice to the peasants?

until the appearance of a rational wise and sincere opp party that makes things clear and concise, peoples' support is very difficult to achieve. unless the incumbent can prove that he got a better plan than the paps and that it's really meant for the nation, paps will still rule.

this is the reality. nobody wanna risk the peace and well-being of their livelihood.

SDP's frequent intention is like trying to create uprising and havocs. they appear to be more motivated to exploit people to "rebel" and bring the gabramen down....the messier the better. does anyone benefit if such phenomena is achieved?

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal

Let me start:

no one needs to paint SDP in "ugly dark tones". everyone already can see how they smeared themselves. SDP is clueless to all the problems. they only good at complaining. anyone here can complain better. we need solutions or alternatives not more complaints.

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
My stand hasnt change after the last election. BOYCOTT until i sees and deem that our election process in Singapore is conduct in a free and fair manner.

the main problem here is good, honest and reliable candidates are lacking in opp parties.

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
....singapore now is overtaken by personal gain than the more self-serving and bigger gain of nation....

if the opposition can appeal to the personal gain of the voters, do you think they can get into Parliament?

what is that one thing an opposition can do which the PAP can never do? Answer: their presence, their independent presence

how can their independent presence increase the personal gain of the voters: for rich voters; for poor voters; for middle-class voters; for foreign migrants;
Answer: can you suggest?

if you really think about it, and if you believe that you cannot replace the PAP as ruling party, then this is your only value-add: your independent presence in Parliament
“my purpose in entering politics was to try and bring about a democratic system of government. The job has not been done yet, and I feel that as long as God gives me the health and the strength, then I will carry on the fight to bring about responsible opposition in Parliament.” JB Jeyaretnam​

Last edited: