• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat The Enigma that is Nathan

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
I hazard a guess - he was owed probably a debt of life during the Jap occupation.

Don't forget till now it's not quite clear how LKY got a job w the Japanese army during the occupation. You don't think the IJN are daft n take in all sundries given the hatred they have for the Chinese.

This part was never said and recorded. And we can safely say Indians at that time fare better and if he knows Japanese, getting a role is not difficult.

Also bear in mind the nationalism then is to China or India not to Singapore. Chinese swear loyalty to China not Singapore.

Suppose one saved the life of the other ?

Old Fart already said that he taught himself japanese and that is how he got hired. He has a gift for langauges. the fact that he was a chinese who did not speak chinese probably clinched the deal for them.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
they wre novice no doubt. JRA are teh most useless left wingers then. they use dynamites and set it off at the oil depot. they fired at the fishermen and missed completely!!! the fishing boats are so slow taht to miss means these are goondus with zero experience with firearms. in fact alot of countries reject them as they are unknown with no real backup, probably attention seekerss. took old man to negotiate with kuwait for them to land there and disappear in the middle east . they were all 20 year olds novices. that why prata dare to go. if they were real hard core i doubt he would dare and the mortality would be higher. A joke given that explosives were set off and shots were fired and no body died or suffer any injuries at all.
just like the SIA hijack in 1980s, the so called "terrorrists" were armed with knives and fork!!!! the commandos stormed and shoot all dead. the mistake of these paki goondus was they kick one of the steward off the plane and he went and tell the commandos that these idiots were armed only with cutlery!!!! real joker . and dthe press brag it so much as if they are dealing with real terrors like plo or baeder meinhf.

Yeah, but two of the terrorists were palestinians. and they have a good record for hijacking planes, killing hostages, etc. they are usually well equiped and well trained.

Brightkid

Alfrescian
Loyal
My guess is, if he go reporting from now, the news will be suppressed till after NDP.

Cannot waste the opportunity and spoil the mood to blow trumpet on their achievement, if any, and glorify his daddy again now that he just booked out for the month and want watch the wayangs in stadium. Can't have all these in a funeral mood, even if just wayang-ing.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Old Fart already said that he taught himself japanese and that is how he got hired. He has a gift for langauges. the fact that he was a chinese who did not speak chinese probably clinched the deal for them.

he self taught Japanese yet he struggled with learning Chinese (like he said in his memoirs, tutors n such). Amazing.

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The enigma of Nathan is no different from the enigma of scroobal. Join the dots and see so many connections to the inner circle. This place is run like a rotten onion to the core, with the core the most rotten. Outer layers think further outer layers as rubbish but they are gold but the inner core which is rotten thinks everyone else is rotten and the inner core mutually thinks each other as rotten. This is the history of Singapore. Nationhood is a scam for the onion to suck up the riches of the island's trade of goods, services and information.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If not for LKY, Nathan would have retired as a senior manager (max) in an insignificant ministry or stat board.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
he self taught Japanese yet he struggled with learning Chinese (like he said in his memoirs, tutors n such). Amazing.

Bro,
wait till you see his calligraphy work in this duck shop called Quan Ju De in Beijing. NB... he can write better than me in Chinese!

soikee

Alfrescian
Loyal
If not for LKY, Nathan would have retired as a senior manager (max) in an insignificant ministry or stat board.

I would say if they both did not become traitors by joining the Kempeitei, prata man would have retired as a senior clerk or a storekeeper.

blissquek

Alfrescian
Loyal
i find your comment insulting to jamban by comparing nathan to it, somethings are worse than jamban - i.e. Nathan

It would be a grave injustice to him if we do not name Ceylon road after him...as Nathan Road...

He has spent much of his lifetime to acquire many units along this road...Who pay for all this...??

The Tax payer....... They willingly pay him $4,267,500 per annum to keep him happy....

blissquek

Alfrescian
Loyal
It would be a grave injustice to him if we do not name Ceylon road after him...as Nathan Road...

He has spent much of his lifetime to acquire many units along this road...Who pay for all this...??

The Tax payer....... They willingly pay him $4,267,500 per annum to keep him happy....

He said." That"s the rate for the job. If you don't like it, I can't help it. "

Why then..is his rate way way above that of President Obama and President Xin Jinping .???
Oh!..He cuts more ribbion and grace more dinners than the two combined.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
I would say if they both did not become traitors by joining the Kempeitei, prata man would have retired as a senior clerk or a storekeeper.

Not really, devan Nair and Raja were both his godfather. he would be fine, and rise to at least perm sec level.

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Bro,
wait till you see his calligraphy work in this duck shop called Quan Ju De in Beijing. NB... he can write better than me in Chinese!

I bet he can compose poetry better than us in mandarin, here is one of his best poem:

床前明月光
衣服脱光光
我在上面摇
她在下面叫

What a literary genius!

bigboss

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am not sure how best to put this out but this one senior civil servant and public figure that I can never figure out. I don't think anyone understood the man except maybe the old man. He never did strike me as someone that was intelligent or smart, yet he headed SID, became a Perm Sec and went on to be diplomat holding key appointments.

Those who knew him better, please chip in.

No need to know him to understand his life simple philosophy ... "gong gong chiak dee kong" as the Hokkiens like to say.

CoffeeAhSoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Zainul went too... Teehee...

3.jpg