• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Temasek is going to kill Tiger into extinction

zeebjii

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mission accomplished. IPO made many lackeys rich. Never mind the wasted billions. Now can close shop. Same as SMRT.

sammymugabe

Alfrescian
Loyal
GLC model won't succeed. LKY's communist state-owned corporation model...non competitive and bound to fail as witnessed by recent spate of failures from SMRT, SPH to NOL. It's especially highlighted when the entity has to compete internationally in the case of SIA. that's why the ones that don't like SMRT SPH are where all the deadwoods PAP cronies are parked.

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
I often use budget carriers to visit places like Thailand. Have even used Tiger when they 1st started operations. I remember back then they would even give you a complimentary orange juice before the flight.

The reason I stopped using Tiger was because of the mistakes made by the management. In my case I was using a Mac to book my tix & they made some changes that made it impossible to continue using a Mac to book a ticket. I gave them feedback about the problem but they never fixed the problem for at least a year, after which I gave up on them & started taking Airasia & later Jetstar.

Have taken a look at Scoot but the problem is with the odd schedule of their flights. Don't want to reach BKK at night.

Doubt Temasek will be successful in budget carrier business because they are out of touch & don't understand what a "budget" means :wink:

Scoot fly to Donmeung, which means to Airport Link for you. Queue up for the tax and pay at least 300 baht to get to city. But Scoot having absorbed Tiger, now you can fly Scoot to Suvarnabhumi too.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Scoot fly to Donmeung, which means to Airport Link for you. Queue up for the tax and pay at least 300 baht to get to city. But Scoot having absorbed Tiger, now you can fly Scoot to Suvarnabhumi too.

When I took a look at Scoot 2 or 3 years ago they already had flights to Suvarnabhumi. The problem is that their flights are later in the day & I would reach BKK at night. I prefer to reach BKK around 11 to 12 pm so that I can check in to the hotel & start my holiday in BKK ASAP.

Don't know what their schedule is now but I'm happy with Jetstar so I'm unlikely to switch. May consider flying with them if they fly to places like Hatayai. Been years since I visited that city & want to do a re-visit. I used to take the flight by Thai airlines from Spore but they stopped flying that route years ago

Now that Suvarnabhumi is connected by rail to BKK, it is easier to get into the city even with the mid day traffic jam. Using Suvarnabhumi is also more convenient if one plans to go to Pattaya. You can catch a Bell bus at the basement.

Justmythots

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nuthin to see in Hatyai. It's backwards and generally a dump as it's populated by Thai moslems. It looks like any dumpy moslem town in Indo something that Aceh. Even the food there sucks. Nothing like the Chinese Thai flavors of BKK.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Hi Johnny,

I think Temasek has realised that they should not have too much of a hands on approach and have left the running to others who are more in tune with this concept.... and now the profits are starting to materialise ..... ultimately though, unless the annual loss is too great and for too many years in a row, Scoot/Tiger must continue to fly. If you lose market presence ultimately you lose everything.

There are no profits to be had not now and not for the foreseeable future. Scoot has not made money since the day it was formed and now parent company has been forced to fold the loser Tiger into its wings and absorb their accumulated losses too. Long haul LCCs have come and go and its very hard to make a profit at it. AirAsia X still has not established its long haul routes completely. Westjet is losing money on its Toronto - London flight in part thru inexperience with used 767s its flying. many Long haul LCCs have failed and the most recent example is HKG based Oasis airlines.

I think Scoot is making a big mistake by going 787 for all its long haul fleet. How do you recover your costs when you are right off the bat paying USD$200 million per 787? And you claim to be a LCC? They claim that the 787 offers better fuel savings. This is true, but aviation fuel price is dropping along with the rest of the world's fuel prices. And its projected to be depressed for a long time. When you are in a cheaper fuel environment, there is no need to splurge USD$200 million on new planes. That is plain stupid. The market for A380 is falling like crazy. No one wants those giants anymore. Why don't they take a chance on them and use them for the LCC. They can cram double the capacity of the 787 into those planes, and fly them long haul to Europe if they so choose. Definitely can offer much lower tickets, when you squeeze them like cattle into the plane. Its a LCC, so people expect that anyway. SQ was leasing its A380s for USD $1.7 million per month. Scoot can definitely get a leasing price of under $1 million per A380. That is dirt cheap for a 550 pax capacity plane. If they want to buy them outright, I think for sure under $100 million each, maybe around USD$80 million if they buy a few and get a discount. Or else go older used 777s, or even if they want to be brave, try A340, which they can get for USD$20 million per plane. Hard to make money when your fixed and capital costs are so high. Even the best LCC in the world, Southwest airlines, uses a combination of new and used 737 in its fleet. They order new 737, but opportunistically buy used 737 from bankrupt airlines and such.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
The pilots with their cheap MPL licence die.Cannot work anywhere else.

And those self-sponsored at 200k Ab Initio cadets poor things.

What do you mean? I thought the MPL was so that they could work every where, once the ICAO adopts the MPL standard worldwide. Currently, all MPL holders or those undergoing the course are already type certified for whatever they were flying before. That means even if they fail the MPL course they should still be able to work anywhere in the world that has an airline that flies the type of plane they are certified on. Or am I mistaken?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nuthin to see in Hatyai. It's backwards and generally a dump as it's populated by Thai moslems. It looks like any dumpy moslem town in Indo something that Aceh. Even the food there sucks. Nothing like the Chinese Thai flavors of BKK.

Hatyai was the 1st place I visited in Thailand. This was many years ago. Back then it was dominated by thai chinese & you would see shops selling birds nest, chinese food like tim sum, sea food & plenty of KTVs. Heard that some of the KTVs had chinese staff. You would find many visitors from Malaysia.

The only muslims I saw were at night when they would set up shop in front of Lee Garden Plaza selling food.

It's been a long time since I visited & I'm curious if there have been any changes .

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
When I took a look at Scoot 2 or 3 years ago they already had flights to Suvarnabhumi. The problem is that their flights are later in the day & I would reach BKK at night. I prefer to reach BKK around 11 to 12 pm so that I can check in to the hotel & start my holiday in BKK ASAP.

Don't know what their schedule is now but I'm happy with Jetstar so I'm unlikely to switch. May consider flying with them if they fly to places like Hatayai. Been years since I visited that city & want to do a re-visit. I used to take the flight by Thai airlines from Spore but they stopped flying that route years ago

Now that Suvarnabhumi is connected by rail to BKK, it is easier to get into the city even with the mid day traffic jam. Using Suvarnabhumi is also more convenient if one plans to go to Pattaya. You can catch a Bell bus at the basement.

Scoot started with Suvarnabhumi but later switched to Donmeung. Scoot to Taipei is good. Big aircraft.