• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Temasek Holdings wants Temasek Review website to change its name

longbow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Then there is issue of the business related to the name.

TR is a political blog

Temasek Holdings and or its publications are non political businesses and publications.

You can open McDonalds plumbing svcs and the burger joint will not sue. But if you have McDonald's hot dogs and sandwiches - that might be a problem.

Finally where to sue? Can Singapore courts have juridiction over business based in overseas?

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
How about Temasek Polytechnic, Secondary school, Junior College , club, Hall (NUS)??

>In the 14th century, Singapore became known to the world by the name of "Temasek" meaning "Sea Town" and was an integral part of the empire called the Shri Vijayan Empire.>

Maybe the descendants or the people of the Shri Vjayan Empire should sue one & all for the use of the word TEMASEK...I forgot, members ok! lah!

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
TR should never give in. Only an idiot can confuse between the two. I like to see Temasek sue someone it cannot find. Interestingly, the letter went to Joe Ong.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
TR should never give in. Only an idiot can confuse between the two. I like to see Temasek sue someone it cannot find. Interestingly, the letter went to Joe Ong.

Temasek Holdings can find anyone it wants to find. Just threaten to sue the web host and all will be revealed. There's no problem threatening to sue whether US-based or PRC-based or wherever-based web host with their government on TH side. Temasek Holdings is owned by Ministry of Finance, a government department. Temasek Review is talking about politics. Enough said. Enough reason to establish a case anywhere in the world with rule of law.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The best they can do it is block the site .What Local jurisdiction ruling have little meaning outside. This has nothing to do with confusing the 2 entities. Its an attempt to flush out the principal behind the website or to send a message to behave.

Anyway, as we speak, the current editorial team, its board of directors and their counterpart from the previous management are probably talking to each other on resolving this issue together with Alice in Wonderland.

Here are the possible outcome
1) The name is changed
2) Name is not changed
3) Name is not changed and the site is blocked

There will certainly be no court case.

Temasek Holdings can find anyone it wants to find. Just threaten to sue the web host and all will be revealed. There's no problem threatening to sue whether US-based or PRC-based or wherever-based web host with their government on TH side. Temasek Holdings is owned by Ministry of Finance, a government department. Temasek Review is talking about politics. Enough said. Enough reason to establish a case anywhere in the world.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I agree there'd be no court case whatever muscle flexing. The objective is to flush out the principal(s) and whip them into line.

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
It is reported in "Weekend Today" that Temasek Holding registered "Temasek Review" as a trademark in November last year.

And if "Wayang Party" has it's name changed earlier then the registered date. So how is Temasek Holding going to bulldoze that down?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Joe is basically stuck. He has no choice but to make representation which now puts him in a position where he will need to make a false statement.

This is no longer a war of word on the web.

He will be agonising over on how to play this hand. He has been making payment using his card in the past and there is a trail. These can be easily traced to him.

Maybe he will take a punt and categorically deny any knowledge and take his chances.

I agree there'd be no court case whatever muscle flexing. The objective is to flush out the principal(s) and whip them into line.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, nothing to do with the trademark. Even can idiot can tell the difference between the two entities.

They are just trying to flush out TR. Its an arm of the Govt.

Here is a suggestion to get out of this mess without digging a hole for himself.

1) Refuse to answer the letter and state orally that he has nothing to do with TR.
2) Change the name to Singapore Enquirer which was previously associated with him.

Temasek Holdings will look like a dork, if they continue to pursue the matter.

It is reported in "Weekend Today" that Temasek Holding registered "Temasek Review" as a trademark in November last year.

And if "Wayang Party" has it's name changed earlier then the registered date. So how is Temasek Holding going to bulldoze that down?

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
If there is no case.

TR, can simply ignore the report, keep his mouth shut and doing nothing.

Here is a suggestion to get out of this mess without digging a hole for himself.

1) Refuse to answer the letter and state orally that he has nothing to do with TR.
2) Change the name to Singapore Enquirer which was previously associated with him.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, nothing to do with the trademark. Even can idiot can tell the difference between the two entities.

I don't know whether TR was named after Temasek Holdings' Temasek Review but I'm not surprised if it wasn't. Who knew TH used "TR" anyway? Not me, until finding TOC's link. "Temasek" means Singapore and "Review" is just like "Post" or "Times" - common names given to newspapers.

I don't know why but I'm seeing an increase of PAP logos all around. "Power" detergent and some small company called AC Electronics or something and others.

Kid278

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well, international trademark? It will be first of its kind on a website/blog...

Goh Meng Seng

Indeed and it shows how desperate these people can be when they cant take the heat.

They move in its machinery to destroy a DR and without mercy. But the hidden agenda therein is still to bring down TR.

TR should never give in, it's cyberspace and it's international, they cant have things their way all the time.

ChaoPappyPoodle

Alfrescian
Loyal
The people behind TR are not stupid. They will milk all the additional mainstream media coverage they can get from this debacle, own goal by the PAPies and their dogs. Don't forget that the PAPies are only good at increasing prices to solve problems and how to provide ridiculous points of views to substantiate their stance. When given a real problem, 8 out of 10 times they will fail miserably.