• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Temasek=Dubai World

RealSingaporean

Alfrescian
Loyal
i belive the same fate for SG, hope i am wrong......
1-Dubai sell bonds, temasek..........

2-Home price fall in Dubai, Singapore............

3-Dubai job drying up, all foreigner retreat from the emirate costing more troble, Singapore PR and FT..........

Please advice, thanks.

coolguy

Alfrescian
Loyal
ho-ching-2009-7-29-3-10-3.jpg

Why you very eager to see that happen?
I can tell you with me around, that will never happen.
I will bleed the sinkies until dry dry to ensure the survival of my temasick.:biggrin:

tiulehloumoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
i belive the same fate for SG, hope i am wrong......
1-Dubai sell bonds, temasek..........

2-Home price fall in Dubai, Singapore............

3-Dubai job drying up, all foreigner retreat from the emirate costing more troble, Singapore PR and FT..........

Please advice, thanks.

Hey born loser, you are fucking wrong. See the reply from coolguy:rolleyes:

phouse3

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore may face excess capacity when all the mega projects are completed.

# mega gambling dens (aka integrated resorts)
# mega shopping malls (ION Orchard, Orchard Central, etc.)
# mega condo and landed projects (Sentosa, Keppel Bay, Marina)
# mega BFC (Business Financial Centre, offices, hotels, etc.)
# mega others

I can see the parallels: Bangkok 1997 that sets off the Asian Financial Crisis; Dubai 2009 that is happening now.

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal
There are many similarities between dubai and singapore expecially how the media prostitutes itself to the ruling political party.

...and you are waiting and salivating by the roadside hoping that Singapore will suffer a fate like Argentina, Thailand and now UAE, in which Dubai is just a part.

If you bother to look deeper into the issue - you will know that Dubai is world apart from Singapore. For example, Dubai has a foreign debt of US$100 billion - whereas Singapore government has practically none. Singapore has a large broad-based high-technology industry, while Dubai has practically none. And you know Singapore does not any-o-how build mega-pojects like tallest buildings, largest buildings, crooked bridge, most beautiful mosques, etc.

The government is so prudent it is willing even to delay building the Sports Stadium until time are better. Even public housing projects are delayed to ensure that people want them and are in a position to pay for them - then the government will build them. All other big projects like Marina Sands and Resort World currently under constructions are undertaken by private companies - not GLCs - which secure their own loans from overseas.

Please go to the temple and praise the Gods that you have such a good government.

Or may be you are salivating and wishing that your government could be like the Singapore government???

Z

Zhuge Liang

...and you are waiting and salivating by the roadside hoping that Singapore will suffer a fate like Argentina, Thailand and now UAE, in which Dubai is just a part.

If you bother to look deeper into the issue - you will know that Dubai is world apart from Singapore. For example, Dubai has a foreign debt of US$100 billion - whereas Singapore government has practically none. Singapore has a large broad-based high-technology industry, while Dubai has practically none. And you know Singapore does not any-o-how build mega-pojects like tallest buildings, largest buildings, crooked bridge, most beautiful mosques, etc.

The government is so prudent it is willing even to delay building the Sports Stadium until time are better. Even public housing projects are delayed to ensure that people want them and are in a position to pay for them - then the government will build them. All other big projects like Marina Sands and Resort World currently under constructions are undertaken by private companies - not GLCs - which secure their own loans from overseas.

Please go to the temple and praise the Gods that you have such a good government.

Or may be you are salivating and wishing that your government could be like the Singapore government???

Suck on it bitch. Suck it harder. :p

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
ho-ching-2009-7-29-3-10-3.jpg

Why you very eager to see that happen?
I can tell you with me around, that will never happen.
I will bleed the sinkies until dry dry to ensure the survival of my temasick.:biggrin:
... n wil get dat done wifout regrets ... :mad:

Y

Yoda.

Hmmm......

bitch how is it may i ask?

tasty does it seem to u?

harder u must suck.

temple u must go.

to the gods u must pray.

train u to be a jedi, i will not.

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
i hope sincerely with all my weak heart singapore will not be mowed over by the dubai debacle...anyone confidient that singapore can ride one more storm?

pray hard friends...singapore sinks we all die standing,sitting or even sleeping...pray pray pray hard very hard.

phouse3

Alfrescian
Loyal

The collapse of one Pan-El resulted in stock exchanges on both sides of the causeway to shut down. When the economy faces excess capacity, the impact of a crisis of confidence is far more damaging. Everything will fall like dominoes.

When there is a capital flight. Our currency will collapse. Our reserves are peanuts. That why's Singapore need to establish swaps lines with many countries. Even during good times, the MAS has to constantly wrong-foot the currency traders and speak in very opaque manner about the widening and shifting of trading bands.

Moreover, our reserves are meant for imports as we don't have any natural resources. Singapore is also a financial centre with plenty of hot money sloshing around. On top of that, there are many speculators who have invested in properties. Now, we are also a human capital centre, with a potential 2 million human flight or exodus.

You have noticed my careful choice of words - "Singapore" , "Bangkok" and my parallel reference to "Dubai" rather than "Temasek", "Thailand" or "UAE". Unfortunately, the nuances are lost on you.

Athens and Sparta have collapsed but Greece survived. When Bangkok collapsed, Thais went up-country to farm. If Dubai collapsed, the UAE still has oil. We can't say the same about Singapore, a tiny barren city which is also the state. Notice also I talked about Singapore rather than Temasek.

Try harder next time.

kojakbt

Alfrescian
Loyal
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=wintiny noWrap align=right>25077.1 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=8></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgtxt>This is a very good article provided by one of the bros in another thread. In fact, some of the stuff written about Dubai reflects what's happening in Singapore also....

A very good reading... highly recommended!
(the author who wrote this article is an award winning journalist)

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/johann-hari/the-dark-side-of-dubai-1664368.html
There are three different Dubais, all swirling around each other. There are the expats, like Karen; there are the Emiratis, headed by Sheikh Mohammed; and then there is the foreign underclass who built the city, and are trapped here. They are hidden in plain view. You see them everywhere, in dirt-caked blue uniforms, being shouted at by their superiors, like a chain gang – but you are trained not to look. It is like a mantra: the Sheikh built the city. The Sheikh built the city. Workers? What workers?

Every evening, the hundreds of thousands of young men who build Dubai are bussed from their sites to a vast concrete wasteland an hour out of town, where they are quarantined away. Until a few years ago they were shuttled back and forth on cattle trucks, but the expats complained this was unsightly, so now they are shunted on small metal buses that function like greenhouses in the desert heat. They sweat like sponges being slowly wrung out.

Sonapur is a rubble-strewn patchwork of miles and miles of identical concrete buildings. Some 300,000 men live piled up here, in a place whose name in Hindi means "City of Gold". In the first camp I stop at – riven with the smell of sewage and sweat – the men huddle around, eager to tell someone, anyone, what is happening to them.

Sahinal Monir, a slim 24-year-old from the deltas of Bangladesh. "To get you here, they tell you Dubai is heaven. Then you get here and realise it is hell," he says. Four years ago, an employment agent arrived in Sahinal's village in Southern Bangladesh. He told the men of the village that there was a place where they could earn 40,000 takka a month (£400) just for working nine-to-five on construction projects. It was a place where they would be given great accommodation, great food, and treated well. All they had to do was pay an up-front fee of 220,000 takka (£2,300) for the work visa – a fee they'd pay off in the first six months, easy. So Sahinal sold his family land, and took out a loan from the local lender, to head to this paradise.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

kojakbt

Alfrescian
Loyal
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=wintiny noWrap align=right>25077.2 in reply to 25077.1 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=8></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgtxt>According to the article:

"And today? Sheikh Mohammed turned Dubai into Creditopolis, a city built entirely on debt. Dubai owes 107 percent of its entire GDP."

For Singapore, according to CIA factbook, our public debt is:
99.2% of GDP (2008 est.)

kojakbt

Alfrescian
Loyal
The author interviewed a Dubai's guy:

He looks around at the shiny floors and Western tourists and says: "What we see now didn't occur in our wildest dreams. We never thought we could be such a success, a trendsetter, a model for other Arab countries. The people of Dubai are mighty proud of their city, and rightly so. And yet..." He shakes his head. "In our hearts, we fear we have built a modern city but we are losing it to all these expats."

kojakbt

Alfrescian
Loyal
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD height=8></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgtxt>The author interviewed some Brit in Dubai:

They have been in Dubai for 20 years, and they are happy to explain how the city works. "You've got a hierarchy, haven't you?" Ann says. "It's the Emiratis at the top, then I'd say the British and other Westerners. Then I suppose it's the Filipinos, because they've got a bit more brains than the Indians. Then at the bottom you've got the Indians and all them lot."

They admit, however, they have "never" spoken to an Emirati. Never? "No. They keep themselves to themselves." Yet Dubai has disappointed them. Jules Taylor tells me: "If you have an accident here it's a nightmare. There was a British woman we knew who ran over an Indian guy, and she was locked up for four days! If you have a tiny bit of alcohol on your breath they're all over you. These Indians throw themselves in front of cars, because then their family has to be given blood money – you know, compensation. But the police just blame us. That poor woman."

kojakbt

Alfrescian
Loyal
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=wintiny noWrap align=right>25077.5 in reply to 25077.4 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=8></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgtxt>Even an American FT in Dubai admitted that FTs in Dubai are 2nd-rated and incompetent:

Later, in a hotel bar, I start chatting to a dyspeptic expat American who works in the cosmetics industry and is desperate to get away from these people. She says: "All the people who couldn't succeed in their own countries end up here, and suddenly they're rich and promoted way above their abilities and bragging about how great they are. I've never met so many incompetent people in such senior positions anywhere in the world." She adds: "It's absolutely racist. I had Filipino girls working for me doing the same job as a European girl, and she's paid a quarter of the wages. The people who do the real work are paid next to nothing, while these incompetent managers pay themselves £40,000 a month."

kojakbt

Alfrescian
Loyal
For example, Dubai has a foreign debt of US$100 billion - whereas Singapore government has practically none.

According to the CIA World Factbook, Singapore is ranked 7th in terms of public dept: ie, records the cumulative total of all government borrowings less repayments that are denominated in a country's home currency.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=590 align=left bgColor=#ffffff border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2 width=598 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=center bgColor=#f8f8e7 height=25><TH style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px" scope=col align=middle width=50>Rank
</TH><TH class=smalltext style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px" scope=col align=middle width=215>country</TH><TH class=smalltext scope=col align=middle width=160 height=25>(% of GDP) </TH><TH class=smalltext scope=col align=middle width=155 height=25>Date of Information</TH></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD><TABLE id=zi cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=590 align=center bgColor=#ffffff border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=4></TD></TR><TR><TD class=currentRow width=60>1</TD><TD class=region style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 8px; TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; PADDING-TOP: 8px" align=left width=215>Zimbabwe</TD><TD class=category_data style="PADDING-RIGHT: 5px" align=middle width=160>
265.60​
</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 8px" align=right width=155>
2008 est.​
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE id=ja cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=590 align=center bgColor=#eeeeee border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=4></TD></TR><TR><TD class=currentRow width=60>2</TD><TD class=region style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 8px; TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; PADDING-TOP: 8px" align=left width=215>Japan</TD><TD class=category_data style="PADDING-RIGHT: 5px" align=middle width=160>
172.10​
2008 est.​
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE id=le cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=590 align=center bgColor=#ffffff border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=4></TD></TR><TR><TD class=currentRow width=60>3</TD><TD class=region style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 8px; TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; PADDING-TOP: 8px" align=left width=215>Lebanon</TD><TD class=category_data style="PADDING-RIGHT: 5px" align=middle width=160>
160.30​
2008 est.​
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE id=jm cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=590 align=center bgColor=#eeeeee border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=4></TD></TR><TR><TD class=currentRow width=60>4</TD><TD class=region style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 8px; TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; PADDING-TOP: 8px" align=left width=215>Jamaica</TD><TD class=category_data style="PADDING-RIGHT: 5px" align=middle width=160>
116.30​
2008 est.​
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE id=it cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=590 align=center bgColor=#ffffff border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=4></TD></TR><TR><TD class=currentRow width=60>5</TD><TD class=region style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 8px; TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; PADDING-TOP: 8px" align=left width=215>Italy</TD><TD class=category_data style="PADDING-RIGHT: 5px" align=middle width=160>
105.80​
2008 est.​
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE id=su cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=590 align=center bgColor=#eeeeee border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=4></TD></TR><TR><TD class=currentRow width=60>6</TD><TD class=region style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 8px; TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; PADDING-TOP: 8px" align=left width=215>Sudan</TD><TD class=category_data style="PADDING-RIGHT: 5px" align=middle width=160>
100.00​
2008 est.​
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=selected id=sn cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=590 align=center bgColor=#ffffff border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=4></TD></TR><TR><TD class=currentRow width=60>7</TD><TD class=region style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 8px; TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; PADDING-TOP: 8px" align=left width=215>Singapore</TD><TD class=category_data style="PADDING-RIGHT: 5px" align=middle width=160>
99.20​
2008 est.​
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE id=gr cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=590 align=center bgColor=#eeeeee border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=4></TD></TR><TR><TD class=currentRow width=60>8</TD><TD class=region style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 8px; TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; PADDING-TOP: 8px" align=left width=215>Greece</TD><TD class=category_data style="PADDING-RIGHT: 5px" align=middle width=160>
97.40​
2008 est.​
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE id=be cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=590 align=center bgColor=#ffffff border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=4></TD></TR><TR><TD class=currentRow width=60>9</TD><TD class=region style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 8px; TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; PADDING-TOP: 8px" align=left width=215>Belgium</TD><TD class=category_data style="PADDING-RIGHT: 5px" align=middle width=160>
89.60​
2008 est.​
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE id=eg cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=590 align=center bgColor=#eeeeee border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=4></TD></TR><TR><TD class=currentRow width=60>10</TD><TD class=region style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 8px; TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; PADDING-TOP: 8px" align=left width=215>Egypt</TD><TD class=category_data style="PADDING-RIGHT: 5px" align=middle width=160>
86.50​
2008 est.​
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

kojakbt

Alfrescian
Loyal
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=msgleft width="1%" rowSpan=4></TD><TD class=wintiny noWrap align=right>25077.6 in reply to 25077.5 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=8></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgtxt><TABLE class=mhc id=mm cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=fhr><TD class=msr><TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD class=au>
available_white1.gif
BT Kojak
<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-TOP: 0px" width="100%"><TABLE class=rc cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD id=_mr_125395cffc4fc743>to johann
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 4px" align=right>show details
<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD align=right> 1:56 pm (4 hours ago) </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=cbln>Hi Johann,

I enjoyed reading your article on Dubai, "The dark side of Dubai", tremendously:

[URL="http://www.independent.co.uk/"][URL="http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/johann-hari/the-dark-side-of-dubai-1664368.html"]http://www.independent.co.uk/<!--<WBR />-->opinion/commentators/johann-<!--<WBR />-->hari/the-dark-side-of-dubai-<!--<WBR />-->1664368.html[/URL]
[/URL]
As I was reading your article, I couldn't help but to think of my own country, Singapore. Granted that the situation is Singapore is not as dire as Dubai's, I would say there are some similarities. Singapore is one of the top few countries in the world which has imported a large proportion of foreign expats and workers into its population (36%). However, unlike the people in Dubai, most Singaporeans feel that they have been overwhelmed by foreigners. Only the Singapore Govt thinks that the situation is fine. And like what one of your interviewees said, we also feel that many of the expats here in Singapore are just second rated (does Nick Leeson sound familiar?).

I'm not too sure if this population importing induced growth in Singapore is sustainable. Already, productivity has gone down in the last few years. UAE at least has oil. We have none. I thought that it might be a good idea for you to take a look at Singapore's situation and do a similar article on Singapore too... :smile:

Kojakbt
[URL="http://www.3in1kopitiam.com"]www.3in1kopitiam.com
[/URL]
p.s. Just a word of caution - if you want to write something bad about the Singapore Govt, be careful not to give them enough ammunition to sue you or your newspapers for defamation. They have done so for WSJ, FEER etc in the past... :smile: