• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Tay Kheng Soon: I left NUS because they were told that I am a racist

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The Independent SG
The Independent SG

Tay Kheng Soon: I left NUS because they were told that I am a racist​

Story by Veronica Lee •

SINGAPORE — Tay Kheng Soon, a well-known architect and an adjunct professor at the National University of Singapore (NUS), has departed from the university. He shared on Facebook, “I left NUS because they were told that I am a racist.” The 82-year-old outspoken public intellectual added: “I and my friends are totally puzzled. Me a racist?”

Prof Tay thinks that the accusations may have risen from his Facebook post, where he shared a report by an American journalist who claimed that all the tech companies are now headed by Indians. Prof Tay wondered how that made him a racist.

In 2018, the Police questioned Prof Tay regarding a Facebook post he had put up. At that time, Prof Tay had posted a picture of the Genocide Memorial in Armenia, which he visited and wrote that he saw and learnt of the 1.5 million Armenian Christians exterminated by the Ottoman Turks in 1911.

This resulted in a person named Azhari Ali objecting to his characterisation of the event, claiming Tay had “unfairly singled out Islam”, even though that was not the post’s intention.

Prof Tay, behind several iconic structures in Singapore, including the People’s Park Complex and KK Women’s and Children’s Hospital, is a strong critic of American imperialism on social media. He has also spoken favourably about China’s local and foreign policies.

On the Russian-Ukrainian war, Prof Tay took the position that Russia was provoked to go to war by Ukraine. He griped about the characterisation of Russia’s actions as “unprovoked”.

Prof Tay shared one of his student’s comments who learnt that he had departed from NUS: “those who want to learn from you will still be able to in other forums I guess because you still give talks, but it truly is a loss for NUS students, but that is the university’s problem if they are not going to adopt a more robust strategy for managing students.”

Jack Sim, the founder of the Restroom Association of Singapore, also fondly referred to as Mr Toilet, spoke up for Prof Tay on Facebook. He said: “(Prof Tay) taught in NUS long enough for NUS to know him well. If he was a racist, his students would have complained about him decades ago.”

https://www.msn.com/en-sg/news/singapore/tay-kheng-soon-i-left-nus-because-they-were-told-that-i-am-a-racist/ar-AA16NeBu?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=cb05feba44fb4fbb8f2abf090c094def

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
But K Shanmugam made a racist remark too..

"...where we can see the light, after being in a place surrounded by darkness."

Indian community can finally see light after darkness: Shanmugam​

20221018721223987fa14d04-7582-4bba-963d-b1d0d27bf4fc_6.jpg

Law and Home Affairs Minister K. Shanmugam lighting up the rangoli during the launch of a video by the PAP at its Chong Pang branch. ST PHOTO: DESMOND WEE
Aqil Hamzah and Shabana Begum

OCT 18, 2022

SINGAPORE - Amid the darkness of the Covid-19 pandemic and the challenges that arose, many in the Indian community stepped up to support those in need.
On Tuesday, Law and Home Affairs Minister K. Shanmugam paid tribute to the community’s efforts with the launch of a video by the People’s Action Party (PAP) at its Chong Pang branch.
Titled Light Of Hope, the video was helmed by filmmaker K. Rajagopal, who wanted to showcase the community’s tenacity through the use of real-life stories, accompanied by an original song that made use of the imagery of a burning flame as a metaphor for kindness.
The song was penned by lyricist Jaya Rathakrishnan and performed by Carnatic vocalist Sushma Soma. Carnatic music has its roots in South India.
The video, Mr Shanmugam said, was meant to convey the essence of Deepavali, which lies in showing kindness to others.

“When we show others kindness, that will take us from darkness to the light, and that kindness will promote a more united community in such difficult times,” he added.
The last two years saw muted Deepavali celebrations as the Government put in place safe management measures to curb the spread of Covid-19.

Despite having to adapt to these restrictions, organisations like the Indian Heritage Centre, Little India Shopkeepers and Heritage Association (Lisha) and the Hindu Endowment Board continued to hold cultural and religious events to ensure the festival of lights was celebrated, he said.
While this year’s festivities promise to be a return to form, he cautioned community members to safeguard their health, given rising Covid-19 cases and mask requirements having largely been done away with.
As a whole, the Indian community has emerged from the pandemic strong and united, with Mr Shamugam noting how the community continually banded together in support.
He cited how the Singapore Indian Development Association (Sinda) helped more students and underprivileged families than ever before, with the support of many in the Indian community.
Community groups had also contributed to the community’s sense of unity, including Lighting Hearts Lighting Homes, which has been distributing goodie bags to Indian families and migrant workers.
“We are now truly coming to a place where we can see the light, after being in a place surrounded by darkness.
“This makes this year’s Deepavali very meaningful,” said Mr Shanmugam.