• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Taxi company looking at ways to address drivers' complaints

Ganesha

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sunday, Oct 07, 2012
The Star/Asia News Network

20121007.103256_star_taxi.jpg

PETALING JAYA, MALAYSIA - Taxi drivers end up cheating passengers or being rude to them due to frustration and desperation, according to Sunlight Radio Taxi Services executive director Choi Wei Yee.

She said the root cause of the problem was that cabbies do not earn enough money. Choi said her company was looking at ways to address this by increasing the number of passengers for drivers.

Choi, who took over the business from her father Choi Teo Men, the founder of the company, said there were now 4,000 drivers compared to 2,000 in 2002 when it started.

“We have upgraded to a GPS despatching and booking system to allow us to detect the taxi nearest to the location of the customer and they are immediately despatched.

“Through this, our taxi drivers can get up to 15 jobs per day, compared to less than 10 under the previous trunk radio system,” she said.

However, she said upgrading the system was costly and other operators might not be able to adopt it.

Choi said the firm also increased the number of advertisements on the taxis.

“A big slice of the revenue from advertising is given back to the drivers. It may not be much, but it will be able to help increase their income,” she said.

As for improving attitude, Choi said the company had started training drivers on good customer service, self-grooming and appearance besides lessons on how to maintain the vehicles.

She said intense competition among the many taxi drivers, especially in the city, added to the problems of taxi drivers.

“Give the industry some time. The authorities as well as taxi operators are working on improving services,” added Choi.

Ganesha

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Our road ahead is tough and rough too, say Malaysian taxi drivers

Sunday, Oct 07, 2012

20120625.174525_taxi.jpg

GEORGE TOWN, MALAYSIA - Taxi drivers here are still refusing to use the meters, giving the excuse that they would not be able to earn a decent income on existing rates. They resort to using “standard fare” instead.

A reporter, who went undercover as a passenger, was charged RM40 (S$16) from Queensbay Mall to Jalan Patani for a brief stop before proceeding to Komtar yesterday.

The driver claimed he had to impose the amount to cover his petrol, maintenance of his vehicle and expenses such as inspections at Puspakom which cost RM55 for the first and RM25 for subsequent ones if the vehicle failed to pass the first test.

“In Kuala Lumpur, more people use taxis,” he said. “People there wait for taxis, but here, cabbies wait for people,” he pointed out. “It's tough on us because we cannot really pick up passengers at any area we want such as at the airport and hotels unless customers call for us.”

On the Government's RM520 tyre vouchers under the 1Malaysia People's Taxi (TRIMA) assistance scheme, he said taxi drivers still had to top-up more money as the amount given was not enough for four new tyres and service charge.

At Komtar, the same reporter was told that taxi drivers there do not use the meter either.

She settled for a taxi driver who charged RM30 for a trip from Komtar to Bukit Jambul.

Consumers Association of Penang president S.M. Mohamed Idris said taxi drivers were also facing rising costs of living like the others.

“The Land Public Transport Commission (SPAD) should look into their issue,” he said. “Companies, with taxi permits make money by renting out the vehicles to taxi drivers daily.

“There are companies which hold numerous permits,” he added. “This system should be abolished.”

Ganesha

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Time Malaysian cabbies play by the rules

By Wong Chun Wai
Sunday, Oct 07, 2012

20121005.095044_malaysiataxi.jpg

MALAYSIA - Taxi drivers in Kuala Lumpur have to accept the reality that competition from the free Go-KL bus service is good and timely. Don't expect full support from the majority of us in the Klang Valley. In fact, many city folk strongly believe that taxi drivers have fleeced them for far too long.

From refusing to go to certain destinations or use the meter to taking circuitous routes to get from one point to another, these are horror stories of taxi drivers shared by many regular commuters.

Admittedly, there are good and decent cabbies doing their work honestly but, unfortunately, there are many others who take every opportunity to rip off their passengers. And when their targets are tourists, you can be sure that their notoriety will gain worldwide attention.

Which is why, in a recent ranking of the worst taxi drivers worldwide by LondonCabs.co.uk, the cabbies of Kuala Lumpur made it right at the top of the list.

Often, taxi drivers are the first to meet up with tourists, but some have badly tarnished the tourism image of Malaysia because of their attitude and cheating ways. One only has to surf the many travel websites to have an idea of what foreigners who have visited KL think of them.

Last week, an official from a taxi drivers' association called the news desk of this newspaper to voice his unhappiness over how the issue of the free Go-KL bus service in the Bukit Bintang area has been reported.

My colleague who took the call politely told the official that he should perhaps try getting a ride on a taxi himself and see if he can find anyone who is prepared to use the meter for travel within the busiest part of Kuala Lumpur.

To prove our point, the news desk decided to ask our reporter, Natalie Heng, who is of English-Malaysian Chinese parentage, to pose as a tourist from London.

Heng speaks and writes Bahasa Malaysia, Chinese and English but is also able to speak like a BBC newscaster if she wants to.

She was asked to try out the taxis around Bukit Bintang where hundreds of taxi drivers staged a protest last week, bringing the city to a standstill for hours, over the free Go-KL City Bus service.

When Heng came back from the assignment, she had nothing positive to report as she related her experience to us. She was practically a victim of “daylight robbery” as almost all the drivers believed she was a foreigner with her Caucasian look and British accent.

In the Go-KL protest, some 200 cabbies gathered outside the Fahrenheit shopping complex during the evening rush hour. They parked their vehicles right in the middle of the road as they staged their noisy protest. They told reporters that their livelihood was being affected because the Go-KL bus service passed through the most popular destinations. They also complained about alleged harassment by the Land Public Transport Commission (SPAD).

However, they did not say or, rather, acknowledge that the authority was finally enforcing the rules on those who break them as a matter of course. Certainly, they were surprised that in the court of public opinion, they had no supporters whatsoever.

Ganesha

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Time Malaysian cabbies play by the rules

Badge of dishonour
The KL taxi drivers may even want to dispute their ranking as the worst taxi drivers in the world, but those of us who travel far and wide know that this is a badge of dishonour which they must discard for their own good, and also for the good of our country's image.

Visitors to our country, when they share their experiences, are generally pleased with our good food, nice people, and the fact that most Malaysians can speak English. They may complain now and again about how dirty KL has become, the uneven kerbs around Bukit Bintang, dirty eateries around Jalan Alor, and not enough policemen on the beat. But they always have lots to say about our horrible taxi drivers.

There are free bus services available in the city circuits of Manchester, Auckland, Melbourne and Sydney, for example. These services are used by city folk, which helps to reduce their financial burden, and also by tourists.

In the case of the Go-KL buses, all the 15 vehicles are disabled-friendly, WiFi-enabled, and are equipped with security cameras to ensure the safety of passengers. They also have GPS on board and enforcement officers often travel incognito with the passengers.

That's not all. The bus service is also reportedly eco-friendly as, according to a report, a sapling will be planted for every cumulative 1,000km travelled to offset the estimated carbon emission of 0.11 metric tonnes. Thinking ahead, the worn-out tyres will be used to create artificial reefs to help restore damaged coral reefs.

Our KL taxi drivers simply have to accept the reality that competition is good.

They also need to get their act together if they want to continue sharing the tourism pie. They will have passengers if they are honest and act as friendly ambassadors of the country.

Those of us who travel overseas always appreciate the fact that taxi drivers are practically like tourist guides. Our taxi drivers prefer to talk about politics, regular passengers tell me.

Our KL taxi drivers can learn from their Japanese counterparts. Although fares in Japan are reputed to be the most expensive in the world, taxi drivers there are well-groomed right down to their gloved hands, and they do not accept tips. They issue receipts without being asked, and even if communication problems arise, a passenger will never feel that he could have been ripped off.

The Prime Minister deserves our applause for pushing ahead with the inner city free bus shuttle service and also the hefty discount on KTM commuter rides for the distressed middle-class, senior citizens and students.

The taxi drivers must not see such measures as taking away their livelihood but as a challenge of the changing times.

Let's not be cowed by the possibility of these disgruntled taxi drivers getting opportunistic politicians to take up their cause because of the impending general election.

Let them whine as much as they want: Go-KL deserves our support. The silent majority must speak up for what is good for them.

Ganesha

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
KL cabbies living up to 'worst taxi drivers in the world' reputation

20121004.093430_nor-hasnah-adam_kltaxi_bg.jpg

By Natalie Heng
Sunday, Oct 07, 2012

KUALA LUMPUR, MALAYSIA It didn't take much a backpack slung over my shoulders, an empty camera bag around the neck, some baggy trousers and voila, I looked every bit the Mat Salleh tourist.

Thanks to my British-Malaysian Chinese parentage, I was assigned to go “undercover” to check out how a typical tourist would fare with our KL cabbies, who had earned the city the reputation of having the worst taxi drivers in the world, according to LondonCabs.co.uk.

Popular website Tripadvisor also warns travellers about KL's errant taxi drivers who “refuse to use the meter, quoting a fare often with the view of ripping you off”.

“This quoted' fare is generally akin to daylight robbery, and sometimes when haggling takes place, it is reciprocated with rude gestures or abusive language ...” adds Tripadvisor.

On Virtualtourist.com, a visitor posted: “I have travelled the world and from Bombay to Boston I can tell you the taxi drivers in KL are the biggest pack of thieving lying dirtbags you will ever come across.”

Another responded: “Agreed! They are notorious and globally infamous for fleecing customers!”

So masquerading as a tourist, I quickly learnt that when you look lost and Caucasian, you're never short of a “friend” in Jalan Bukit Bintang.

“Hello, how are you?”

“Where you want to go, Miss?”

“Taxi ma'am?”

My first test case was a bespectacled man who leapt out from a line of cabs with the words “Metered Taxi” plastered across each side.

“Puduraya?” I asked cluelessly.

“No problem,” he said.

The cab was fairly well kept, and we joined in the line of moving traffic in front of Lot 10 along Jalan Sultan Ismail in downtown Kuala Lumpur.

The driver was polite and friendly.

Ganesha

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: KL cabbies living up to 'worst taxi drivers in the world' reputation

He set on getting to know me where I was from, what I was doing here and then offering several exciting trips for me to take: to Genting Highlands and back? RM250. National Zoo? RM100 (S$40).

“In England, people have a lot of money, uh?”

“There's a recession,” I replied.

“When you in Malaysia, your money very big!”

We drove for a bit longer and after a minute, I asked innocently: “What's this sign on your window aren't you supposed to use the meter?”

Only the cabs at a taxi stand use the meter, he explained patiently, “but you walk very far one”.

We covered approximately 2km in about five minutes. The fee was RM25.

A quick check on the Malaysia Taxi Auto Fare website tells me the trip should have cost RM8.

I asked for a receipt, and he tore out a slip from his pink receipt book, handing it to me blank, with a knowing smile.

In all, I took five cabs, and surveyed six more, trying to get a fare comparison.

Not a single one used the meter, and all had an ingenious excuse: Friday prayers, very bad traffic jam, hard to find customers, the machine is broken.

Fares for the same location varied; another cabbie who took me back to where I started, for example, charged RM15.

Out of five cabbies I asked to take me to Muzium Negara, about 4.5km away, one wanted RM15, another RM20, still another RM25 and the other two RM30.

If this is how they treat a supposed backpacker, how much would they charge me if I was staying at a five-star hotel?

“How much to Le Meridien?” I asked one driver parked outside Pavilion shopping mall. “RM45” came the prompt answer.

Malaysia Taxi Auto Fare has that journey down to RM10, for a 10-minute, 4.5km drive.

The cab interiors varied most were well kept, and the drivers were friendly or indifferent.

Ganesha

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: KL cabbies living up to 'worst taxi drivers in the world' reputation

There was only one driver who lived up to the number one ranking of “Worst Drivers” List, and I found him 100m to the left of Suria KLCC shopping mall's main entrance.

He was surrounded by a group of burly friends.

“Where you want to go miss?” he asked, more bullying than friendly. Central Market, I said, as he opened the door to a blue executive cab.

I wanted to go in one of the six red taxis parked around us.

“All the same price!” he said to the agreement of other taxi drivers who had crowded around him.

So I got in and the first thing we did was an illegal U-turn right across the pavement of a pedestrian crossing after the “walk” light had turned green.

Then we drove down a bus lane, went through a red light, and arrived at the far end of Lebuh Ampang, 1km away from Central Market.

“Is this Central Market?” I asked.

“Yes, there!” he said, pointing to the end of the road.

I handed him a RM50 note for my RM40, 10-minute journey. What he said next really took the biscuit.

“No change, you go to that shop and get change.”

Of all the taxi drivers I met that day, the only taxi driver who did not overcharge was a man in his early 60s.

He didn't use the meter when he took me from Jalan Tun H.S. Lee to Pavilion in Bukit Bintang and his asking price was RM10, the only fare to almost match Malaysia Taxi Auto Fare's calculations.

That's one in 11. The cabbies I encountered may not have been as nasty and rude as they have been made out to be. But when it comes to refusing to use the meter and fleecing the passenger, it seems all too sadly true.