• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Tan Kin Lian - An Opportunist? Let see the Facts

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
This guy from day one was with the PAP. He was appointed as the CEO of NTUC INcome the captive Insurance organisation for all NTUC and Govt associated organisation in 1977. He stepped down from NTUC Income in 2007, 30 years. This was the period where NTUC Income started muscling in and got unprecedented access to army camps and work places that others Insurers did not have. So who provided the access. The govt gave this guy a career and a lifestyle on a silver platter.

Tan was also one of the first cadre members of the PAP and was also the long reigning Branch Secretary of Marine Parade PAP. Those who are not familiar, the position is the highest political ranking for the PAP in a constituency. The only higher is the MP. It was also this reason why all new MP automatically become a PAP cadre member in order to control the Branch secretary. Get this he was elected in 1977 when Chia Thye Poh, Dr Lim Hock Siew and a whole host of people were rotting in prison.

Tan is no ordinary PAP member. He was part of the main machinary. He was already a branch secretary when PAP abuses were growing unabated.

In course of 30 over years, while drawing easy income in view of its captive market, this guy never uttered a single word, never even farted in a wayward way. Even more interesting is that his circle of friends were all establishment figures. An believe me it is common knowledge.

It is also common knowledge when he became disgruntled when it was made known to him that he would not become an MP. He was told this more 15 years ago yet carried on dutifully.

Here is the part where I think we are dealing with a dishonest individual. His campaign on the mini-bonds. His colleagues and those who knew him were surprised as he happily enjoyed the fruit of a regime and did not cast a doubt in accepting them.

Larry Havercamp, a Wharton MBA, and economist and with SMU revealed how NTUC and others in Singapore abused their position in creating many of the instruments including the way they treated unclaimed monies.

Imagine, he retires and suddenly we are looking at Mother Theresa. The fact that he has managed to bring NSP, SDP and WP together and used their names to declare his candidacy shows what an opportunist and manipulator that this guy is. WP which has been cautious unlike SDP and NSP, finally fell into his trap by asking one of the WP senior chaps to collect the nomination forms. Imagine a retiree is too busy to collect nomination forms.

In comparison, Tan Cheng Bock from his first day in office, was screwed by GKS and old man and continued to be screwed during his tenure in office.

Tell me what did he exactly do that Tan Kin Lian before his retirement and after he could no longer milk the establishment office that one thinks as anything close to dissension or even a sensible suggestion to improve the lot of Singaporeans.

Even when he was meeting political activists, he could not help himself and even tried selling torchlights etc.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's interesting that both Tan Kin Lian and Tan Jee Say (both Tans) used to work under GCT and later became dissidents.

You are rather sharp. Huat ah was asked by TKL to meet for lunch around the area and before arriving called him to pick up the forms first. Timed so that he arrived later than Huat. Unfortunately Huat ah went for this. I don't see any problem for Huat to collect forms for a friend but TKL did it so unglam and shady.

Last edited:

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
To put it simply, TKL was running with the pack and condone the injustices plus contributed some of them himself. Unlike TCB who was running with the same pack, higher up with the leader but has shown he tried to divert the path of the leader. He has shown that he has his own mind where they should be going. TKL is a dog who will bite his master's hand despite being fed well.

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hYIC0eZYEtI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's interesting that both Tan Kin Lian and Tan Jee Say (both Tans) used to work under GCT and later became dissidents.
This was exactly how people remember him in NTUC - manipulative. How cheap and poor this reflects on him. I felt sorry for GMS who has been close to him and quite naive. I was wondering how he was going to drag WP into his circle as he had already got NSP and SDP.

Notice also what he has been saying about the office of Presidency. Quite a dishonest chap.
You are rather sharp. Huat ah was asked by TKL to meet for lunch around the area and before arriving called him to pick up the forms first. Timed so that he arrived later than Huat. Unfortunately Huat ah went for this. I don't see any problem for Huat to collect forms for a friend but TKL did it so unglam and shady.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
This guy is truly a manipulative prick. Its sad that people think he is some hero. And your point is absolutely right - he will bite the hand that feeds him.

To put it simply, TKL was running with the pack and condone the injustices plus contributed some of them himself. Unlike TCB who was running with the same pack, higher up with the leader but has shown he tried to divert the path of the leader. He has shown that he has his own mind where they should be going. TKL is a dog who will bite his master's hand despite being fed well.

Varuna

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for the insightful info about TKL! :smile: Never knew much about the background of this fella but I find his looks a complete turn off.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
This why when you get close to people it hard to become independent in your views. Notice how all the Political Parties, TOC etc have been very quiet. Imagine a cadre and a branch secretary and he also did not resign from PAP until he saw the mini-bond opportunity and realised that GMS would be a good person to use in getting campaign help.

Tang was in the PAP, also at cadre but he had issues and left. Tang like Tan Cheng Bock had their legal and medical practices respectively and did not put his snout in the PAP trough.

Thanks for the insightful info about TKL! :smile: Never knew much about the background of this fella but I find his looks a complete turn off.

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is one thread I won't scroo. Pity most people can't read individuals at face value. This Tan Kin Lian is one bastard of a motherfucker. Even threatened those who posted negative comments about his behaviour in NTUC Income as CEO during the days when he was a "very much respected" member in TOC.

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
As a fan of Lucky Tan's Blog, I was deeply disappointed to see him write good stuff about this guy. Lucky is also endorsing his bid for EP, and this I disagree vehemently as I view TKL opportunistic, manipulative and also calculative. There is always a reason for things he does, a hidden agenda. In the past there had been indications that he was interested in the EP, and we see that now as he thinks he has a chance of taking a shot at it.

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I don't trust this chap Tan Kin Lian... he's an opportunist..

If he really wants to speak up for Sporeans, then why didn't he stands for election on an Opposition ticket last month?

Somethin fishy about his real motives to stand for the Presidential Elections..

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't trust this chap Tan Kin Lian... he's an opportunist..

If he really wants to speak up for Sporeans, then why didn't he stands for election on an Opposition ticket last month?

Somethin fishy about his real motives to stand for the Presidential Elections..

Hit the nail right on the head! PAP won't allow a potential EP to rock their boat!

Tan Cheng Bock if he promise to keep his word on what he'll do when he becomes EP will not be allowed to board the boat.

That's is why Tony Tan, George Yeo will be asked to throw their hat into the ring.

Tan Kin Lian will ask for a kiss his feet deal with the PAP when he gets elected.

And he'll even sit tighter than Prata Nathan when another 1 million Pinoy Catholics enter by the Budget Terminal!

This Tan Kin Lian motherfucker will want to be the richest man through the political route after the Lee family!

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Here is another gullible Singaporean writing in Tan Kin Lian's Blog and has no clue about the man or the office of President. And he is a Professor in a 1st world University.

Beyond guarding the reserves
Dear Mr Tan,

I live away from Singapore but have been following recent events especially the Elections and also now the Presidential Elections. I have read your statement and see much to be heartened by it. In particular, I entirely agree that there is a need to recover the sense of public service that has been lost in the kind of 'unbridled' meritocracy that has led to frankly quite obscene ministerial salaries especially when the ordinary working citizen is struggling and trying to cope with the cost of housing and generally the cost of living.

I go back to Singapore for about two months every year and cannot fail to notice that in the last 5 years in particular even hawker centre food prices have risen very noticeably and on the low income of those at the bottom strata of society this is a real struggle as I gather from the taxi drivers who often hold two jobs to keep their families going. For a country that seems so economically successful it is quite shameful that the elderly, the less fortunate and the socially-burdened should have to live the way they do.

I know that you have been active in championing the cause of ordinary people (like those who have lost money in the recent financial scandal) and it certainly appears as if you genuinely do care for the people. I share your principles of honesty and integrity and public service (indeed i think the idea of a 'vocation' or 'calling' is not amiss when thinking about being an MP or being the president of a country; they are 'elected' to REPRESENT the people.

In this regard I would urge you to consider carefully what the 'reserves' of the country is really all about. Whilst I do not disagree about the need to very conservatively 'guard' these reserves I also think that a small proportion of it should be deployed to enhance the wellbeing of the most needy in society and especially the elderly. After all, was it not they who with their thrift, sacrifice and hard work in the 60s, 70s,and 80s especially that has made possible the success that Singapore now is? Should society not now repay them in some small measure for their contribution to its success?

In Britain where I live, people who retire have a small 'state pension' and various allowances (like heating allowance for winter, free healthcare etc.) to help them cope with the cost of living so they can live a modest but dignified life. After all, even those who are not considered 'talent' have still a right to live a dignified and fulfilling life.

So, Mr Tan, should you be elected to the role of President, and I wish you well in this endeavour, would you please consider how to not just safeguard our national reserves but also to wisely deploy it to meaningful use. After all, the accumulation of wealth is not a goal in its own right but a means to fulfilling the average Singaporean dream of living a sufficient, meaningful and fulfilling life in an economically vibrant, gracious, self-confident, well-balanced, and caring society.

In closing I would like to share with you a quote which has inspired me all these years since living away from home. It reminds us that being successful alone is not enough.
‘The motive of success is not enough. It produces a short-sighted world which destroys the sources of its
own prosperity…A great society is a society in which its men of business think greatly about its function. Low thoughts mean low behaviour, and after a brief orgy of exploitation, low behaviour means a descending standard of life’ (Alfred North Whitehead, Adventures of Ideas,1933)

Very best regards

Robert Chia
Professor Robert Chia, PhD FRSA

Professor of Management
Strathclyde Business School
University of Strathclyde
SCOTLAND

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lucky started life in this forum as money123 and was struggling with satire. He found his mark by doing deep analysis on a number of issues of keen interest and he has developed very well and the analysis is really quality. His main issue is that he is not cluely about political identities and not good a good judge of character.

Part of the problem is that due to the state controlled press there is little information to base one's judgement on.

As a fan of Lucky Tan's Blog, I was deeply disappointed to see him write good stuff about this guy. Lucky is also endorsing his bid for EP, and this I disagree vehemently as I view TKL opportunistic, manipulative and also calculative. There is always a reason for things he does, a hidden agenda. In the past there had been indications that he was interested in the EP, and we see that now as he thinks he has a chance of taking a shot at it.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tks for all the revelations, Scro! I have always thought he has skeletons in his closet. When he was CEO NTUC Income, he would hog every limelight and soundbite with the media. His corp comm people never had a chance.

Imagine, a $4 mil salary in his retirement years! Which idiot wont want it? Bring back a sense of public service, my foot!

Last edited:

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
When you really think about it, each one of us is an opportunist. Thats human nature. You see something that can potentially benefit us or further our goals, you'll make a beeline for it. The only difference is the goal we seek and the agenda we harbour. So, I don't fault TKL for wanting to take a shot at the EP. TCB too. These are men with an axe to grind with the pap. But as we know, the Presidency has very limited power, so I am not hopeful any effective change will occur at all if either of them gets elected.

karmabear

Alfrescian
Loyal
Do you not find that when it serves PAP purposes, the EP have a lot of power. Can serve as a check to the government. But when it might not turn out to be a PAP man, it becomes a whole new story. EP has very limited power.

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I've said it before and I'll say again, I'll vote for the person that hates PAP most.

Even if the President is a toothless tiger, the more he crosses swords with PAP, the more he erodes their self-deluded facade of morality.

TKL is a by-product of the PAP who is beginning not to be able to keep up with the returning of favours to the dogs who helped maintain their iron grip on Singaporeans.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
You are talking as if your Huat ah is so naive! Well, did your Huat ah know that he and Tan Kin Lian are going to Elections Department to collect the forms together?

Goh Meng Seng

MightyMouse

Alfrescian
Loyal
Do you not find that when it serves PAP purposes, the EP have a lot of power. Can serve as a check to the government. But when it might not turn out to be a PAP man, it becomes a whole new story. EP has very limited power.

The government must plan for all contingencies. In this instance, I see that they are laying the ground for any future clashes with the elected President. Given the current ground sentiments, there is a good chance that the next President will not be the government's choice. Therefore, better to start the process of weakening the legitimacy of the President's role in commenting on the government of the day.