• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Tampines Brothers & Parental Responsibility

jubilee1919

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Road safety??? while riding pillion???? :eek: The parents are either idiots or liars.

When we were kids, we used to crash while riding pillion all by ourselves. We didn't need cars to run us over. It's one of the most dangerous things you can do on a bike even if you had the road all to yourself.

To ride pillion on a heavily congested street is pretty much a death wish. If they were doing it on a regular basis, I'm surprised they lasted this long.

No matter what reasons or excuses anyone can think off. this fucking island is so congested that accidents and whatnot will happen and the situation will worsen with the increase in population. More people = more accidents, this is a no-brainer.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Society is responsible for this tragedy..it is not the absence of parental responsibility in this case.

I agree with you. And I take the parents at their words. Because the car is more likely to kill than the pedestrians, cyclist and motorcyclist, the driver should exercise more caution while driving and be prepared to spend a long time in jail or even face death if he messes up and kills someone. Until we have stern sentencing for errant drivers, drivers will continue to take driving lightly, posing dangers to other road users.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
.............Another thing is not everyone lives right before a big park like bishan park. There is a need to get from home to the park connector, and crossing roads is inevitable for most people.

I see plenty of cyclist with pillion riders all my life, but have not heard of any major accident due to riding pillion. So it may not be necessary to regulate this. Not heard any country with such a law, in fact European cyclists often carry their young kids on pillion. I don't think this case has anything to do with pillion riding, it is merely a coincidence.

Yes. The situation is different for different people. When I rode my bicycle many years ago, me and my friends were road fiends. We were reckless youth who never thought twice about safety (some of us deliberately removed our brakes and slowed down using out thick rubber slippers, daring each other with stunts, etc.) - that's the reason I don't allow my kids on the roads these days - they may behave like I did - and it is a lot more dangerous now. I know we can never completely eradicate danger on the streets, but lessening the risk seems like a rational reaction to reduce risk. I believe that most road users are aware of the dangers, and nobody wants to be involved in a collsion, and for cyclist and motorcyclists, the danger is always greater. I agree that most pillion riders get carried aways safely, but when an accident happens (as in this case), look at the results.

Cheers!

denzuko1

Alfrescian
Loyal
I know this will be politically incorrect and insensitive to some but I have issues where children are not accorded the proper protection and guidance.

The reality is that the victims are the 2 brothers. Also understand that it is an accident and possibly negligence on the part of the driver but the level of traffic at the location is a red flag at the best of times. I know many parents will not allow their kids to ride a bike let alone carry a pillion in such an environment.

We might not have helped with this situation but we can help further avoid such accidents or reduce it if we are prepared to see it for what it is.

I have no doubt that authorities could have and should have played a path. 1st World countries limit speed at school zones. Special cycles path ways including traffic signals for bicycles have been done. Its worth every penny to invest in our our young and our future. It will be a boon for those who can't afford maids and bus fares.

Lets be considerate, lets be sensitive but lets also recognise that the 2 kids are the actual victims. Peer and society pressure will force parents and guardians to re-look and assess the situation when it comes to looking after their wards.

Some people have made similar comments but have been marginalised. I just felt that adults should realise that they have a responsibility for whoever they bring into this world.

If you read the article from yahoo.com, you will realize that the mother rushed to the scene in her fast food uniform. I can see that the parents are of lower income group and already trying hard to make ends meet for them and their children. I think it is not responsible to label the parents as not responsible.

If you also look at Tampines situation, it is Irene Ng's pet project to promote the use of bicycle for transportation and yet ill prepare in facilities for this mode of transport. You are seeing that bicycle users are cramped together with pedestrians, not only that, they also ride across the zebra crossings without realizing that drivers may not be able to react in time. while there were attempts to prevent riders for doing so, the authority lacks the will power to making sure the message is sent out.

This is an accident waiting to happen because our MP failed to consider all angles before implementing the policy.

denzuko1

Alfrescian
Loyal
I agree with you. And I take the parents at their words. Because the car is more likely to kill than the pedestrians, cyclist and motorcyclist, the driver should exercise more caution while driving and be prepared to spend a long time in jail or even face death if he messes up and kills someone. Until we have stern sentencing for errant drivers, drivers will continue to take driving lightly, posing dangers to other road users.

Are you a car owner or driver? If you are not, let me highlight this to you. Do you know that Singaporeans do not look left and right and continue to be vigilence while crossing the road? They are complacent and totally ignorance that the street is still a dangerous place. You will even find that many are thrilled when they managed to dodge the on coming traffic, ingoring that it might lead to them regreting for the rest of their life.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes. The situation is different for different people. When I rode my bicycle many years ago, me and my friends were road fiends. We were reckless youth who never thought twice about safety (some of us deliberately removed our brakes and slowed down using out thick rubber slippers, daring each other with stunts, etc.) - that's the reason I don't allow my kids on the roads these days - they may behave like I did - and it is a lot more dangerous now. I know we can never completely eradicate danger on the streets, but lessening the risk seems like a rational reaction to reduce risk. I believe that most road users are aware of the dangers, and nobody wants to be involved in a collsion, and for cyclist and motorcyclists, the danger is always greater. I agree that most pillion riders get carried aways safely, but when an accident happens (as in this case), look at the results.

Cheers!

When we are young, life is carefree & reckless, I have rode up & down a steep incline slope, where I used to live...and sped down the incline slope of a road that have a 20 degree turn at the bottom of the slope & leads to a blind corner. I have done that many times, for the thrill, the exhilaration of speed & never care if vehicles are coming round that bend. We were taught safety on the roads, especially riding bicycle.

I learn my lesson, around that age of riding & up & that slope, had an accident not with that slope, but racing with the bicycle with my peers through some narrow road & met with an accident with a slow moving car. Had the car being faster, I would not be here telling this tale, the cycle was total, I miraculously was unhurt. The car from was dented, I blamed the driver a woman, who paid for the cycle ha ha ha, even though i was the culprit, no camera back then.

What I am saying is, we all know & taught to be safe, we need to be careful & we hope that, we do not need a painful & dangerous lesson to be taught to learn, like me.

We need to remind ourselves wether we are driving or riding or walking, to be careful...we now live in a very hurried world & getting more congested each day.

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
Are you a car owner or driver? If you are not, let me highlight this to you. Do you know that Singaporeans do not look left and right and continue to be vigilence while crossing the road? They are complacent and totally ignorance that the street is still a dangerous place. You will even find that many are thrilled when they managed to dodge the on coming traffic, ingoring that it might lead to them regreting for the rest of their life.
Because you saw a few people are reckless, you conclude that all are the same.

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal

Cheers!
Haha, I was like you too. Reckless when young. But even at that age, when it comes to cycling on the roads, my friends and me never took it lightly. We can monkey about in the playground, but it was all serious business crossing the roads. And we were merely ten years old then. I'm surprise that you made it out alive.

Troll

Alfrescian
Loyal
I know this will be politically incorrect and insensitive to some but I have issues where children are not accorded the proper protection and guidance.

The reality is that the victims are the 2 brothers. Also understand that it is an accident and possibly negligence on the part of the driver but the level of traffic at the location is a red flag at the best of times. I know many parents will not allow their kids to ride a bike let alone carry a pillion in such an environment.

We might not have helped with this situation but we can help further avoid such accidents or reduce it if we are prepared to see it for what it is.

I have no doubt that authorities could have and should have played a path. 1st World countries limit speed at school zones. Special cycles path ways including traffic signals for bicycles have been done. Its worth every penny to invest in our our young and our future. It will be a boon for those who can't afford maids and bus fares.

Lets be considerate, lets be sensitive but lets also recognise that the 2 kids are the actual victims. Peer and society pressure will force parents and guardians to re-look and assess the situation when it comes to looking after their wards.

Some people have made similar comments but have been marginalised. I just felt that adults should realise that they have a responsibility for whoever they bring into this world.

Are you even a parent yourself, before you rattle on about parental responsibility? What do you know about parenting?

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Haha, I was like you too. Reckless when young. But even at that age, when it comes to cycling on the roads, my friends and me never took it lightly. We can monkey about in the playground, but it was all serious business crossing the roads. And we were merely ten years old then. I'm surprise that you made it out alive.

Nobody wants to be involved in a collision. That's why they're called accidents. When I was fourteen, I was racing back home with some friends on bikes. I shot out in front of them (from a minor, kampong lane, to a main road). I didn't stop or slow down - I do not know what happened and conclude that I could have blacked out before my bike reached the main road. I was hit by an oncoming scooter (I don't remember a thing, it was what my friends later told me). The scooterist flew off the vehical and slammed into my head with his face first - he lost his front teeth and I had stiches to the right side of my head. He clasped a gauze over his bloodied mouth whilst cursing me all the way to the hospital inside the ambulance. Looks like he was on his way to a date - was dressed up all fancy.

It was an accident. Although I was wrong - I didn't remember a thing, just rode my bike, and then woke up on the side of the road with onlookers staring at me and the ambulance crew hoisting me away - I likely fainted whilst riding the bike just before impact. My fault? Things happen without us in control. Just don't want to be on the losing end.

Cheers!

Tuayapeh

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
It was an accident. Although I was wrong - I didn't remember a thing, just rode my bike, and then woke up on the side of the road with onlookers staring at me and the ambulance crew hoisting me away - I likely fainted whilst riding the bike just before impact. My fault? Things happen without us in control. Just don't want to be on the losing end.

Cheers!

Too bad or else tuayapeh and you would have met a long time ago liao hor? :biggrin:

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That is why you need a different driving license for trucks. Having a blind spot is not an excuse for causing an accident. If you are not comfortable driving your company van you should not touch it. You are reckless if you turn without knowing exactly what is beside you.

if u never drove a commercial vehicle before, then u better diam diam. there will always be blindspot that the mirror fail to reflect. it not the driver dont want to turn his head to check the blindspot but it the body of the vehicle that block his/her view. the driver can put all sort of blindspot mirrors at the side mirror but that is not foolproof. unlike a sbs bus where there are glass panels for the passengers to see scenery which bus driver can use to check blindspot, most van and lorries dont have. instead of assuming the truck drivers can see, other roadusers SHOULD assume the truck driver CANNOT see. IF I AM TURNING LEFT AND THE MOTORCYCLIST WANT TO OVERTAKE FROM THE LEFT, THEN WHO IS RECKLESS???????

Last edited:

peppertail

Alfrescian
Loyal
if u never drove a commercial vehicle before, then u better diam diam. there will always be blindspot that the mirror fail to reflect. it not the driver dont want to turn his head to check the blindspot but it the body of the vehicle that block his/her view. the driver can put all sort of blindspot mirrors at the side mirror but that is not foolproof. unlike a sbs bus where there are glass panels for the passengers to see scenery which bus driver can use to check blindspot, most van and lorries dont have. instead of assuming the truck drivers can see, other roadusers SHOULD assume the truck driver CANNOT see. IF I AM TURNING LEFT AND THE MOTORCYCLIST WANT TO OVERTAKE FROM THE LEFT, THEN WHO IS RECKLESS???????

That is why you have to check the mirrors all the time, not only when you are about to turn.

mollusk

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

im a rider. I would not squeeze beside a heavy vehicle when they are turning right or left cause they will not be able to see even if the driver check their blindspot.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wzL0Kyk4m-8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

peppertail

Alfrescian
Loyal
yo, u fail english huh? BLINDSPOT lah deh. BLINDSPOT check mirror also cannot see.

go see mollusk post.

Sigh, look into the mirror frequently so you can see the person/bicycle/car/truck/airplane/elephant BEFORE entering the blind spot. As for Mollusk video, it is explaining blindspots very well HOWEVER only stupids adjust the mirror they way its shown. Does the driver try to see his truck or the area beside it? 80% of the mirror show the truck only, how to see the cyclists? You need to adjust it properly.

Last edited:

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sigh, look into the mirror frequently so you can see the person/bicycle/car/truck/airplane/elephant BEFORE entering the blind spot. As for Mollusk video, it is explaining blindspots very well HOWEVER only stupids adjust the mirror they way its shown. Does the driver try to see his truck or the area beside it? 80% of the mirror show the truck only, how to see the cyclists? You need to adjust it properly.

if you move into the blindspot while driver looking to the front (surely the driver have to look in front) and then he check the mirror again and see nothing and he crushed you, then you deserved it lor. the driver maybe charged in court but you lose your life. Worth it to try?

i just stating the problems face by heavy vehicle drivers, it all road user responsiblities for their own safety. if you have a death wish, carry on overtaking on the left.

peppertail

Alfrescian
Loyal
if you move into the blindspot while driver looking to the front (surely the driver have to look in front) and then he check the mirror again and see nothing and he crushed you, then you deserved it lor. the driver maybe charged in court but you lose your life. Worth it to try?

i just stating the problems face by heavy vehicle drivers, it all road user responsiblities for their own safety. if you have a death wish, carry on overtaking on the left.

True, everybody has a part to play. Road safety is mostly about trust and courtesy.

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Driver was safety instructor designated. You don't just rely on mirrors when you drive. Your responsibity as a driver is to look out for other vehicles and objects(that includes people) that you may collide into. Unless the kids were beamed into the immediate area by Scotty, the driver failed to keep a proper lookout.

As a driver, when I can't see my blindspots(a bit oxymoronic here), I slow and creep. I do that every time I have to back out of a parking lot or making 3, 4 or 5 point turns.

The fucking fact is that PAP had nurtured a society of citizens that mock and challenge you to fuck with their rights to do whatever the fuck they want by walking right into your blindspots.

You have an issue with that? You can always knock them down.