• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Tale of Terengganu’s lonely non-Muslim gymnast

gsbslut

Stupidman
Loyal
Tale of Terengganu’s lonely non-Muslim gymnast

N Faizal Ghazali
Published: Oct 11, 2023 9:00 AM

Updated: 9:08 AM

Tok Exin participated in Sukan Malaysia (Sukma) 2022. But unlike her previous experience four years earlier, she was the sole contestant from her state.

This is because the PAS-led state government had barred Muslim female gymnasts from representing Terengganu because their attire is not syariah-compliant.

In an interview with Malaysiakini, Tok (above) said having teammates to provide moral support is crucial for an athlete and she was crestfallen to learn that her friends would not be competing.

“During competitions, I won’t have teammates to provide me with moral support, unlike other teams. A positive team spirit is important.

“It was such a pity because I knew my teammates had practised hard (hoping that the policy would be reversed) to face Sukma 2022 but were unable to do so.

“Although we were no longer training together, we were still in communication,” the 17-year-old student added, revealing that she was based in Kuala Lumpur during that period.

The state government’s decision and an injury to her ankle in March have led Tok, who ventured into gymnastics at the age of eight, to retire from the sport.

Speaking about her injury, she said the incident has also left her with a mental scar.

“I had to rest for a long time. I was not confident about training with an injured foot and was worried that it could lead to problems in the future,” she added.

Full support

Meanwhile, Tok’s mother, who wished to be known only as Li, said although she and her husband supported their daughter’s involvement in sports, education is still prioritised.

Therefore, she said another reason Tok decided to quit was to focus on the coming SPM examination.

“So, she has stopped (gymnastics), but I am not sure if this would be for good because she is still interested (in the sport),” she added.

On the same note, Li also expressed her gratitude to the Terengganu Sports Council for supporting her daughter when she represented the state.

Previously, Malaysiakini reported that some of the Muslim female gymnasts have been absorbed into the state’s wushu martial arts team.

In an interview published yesterday, two of them, Aimy Idzlin Mohd Fauzi and Farhana Arissa Mohd Fajri, both 18, spoke about their disappointment and transition to a different sport.

The state government’s stand has also drawn flak from various quarters, including PKR MP Lee Chean Chung and DAP MP Syerleena Abdul Rashid. - Mkini