• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Switching to motorbikes in Singapore ?

jw5

Loyal
Instead of switching your mode of transport, why don't you switch countries and keep the car?
He is already switching between Taiwan and Thailand and now SG.
Which other country do you want him to switch to?

jw5

Loyal
It's for my occasional visit to Singapore, since my relatives are all in Singapore. But even for a month or so, I dread squeezing with PRCs and IIs in public transport.

I have not been back for years, and I have really lost touch with the traffic conditions in Singapore.
If you are just in SG for occasional visits, you can take public transport at certain times, when you won't need to squeeze with others. It may still be quite crowded, but it won't be a squeeze. At least you won't be squashed up against unwashed armpits and unbrushed teeth.

Regarding your point abut SG roads being more orderly than Taiwan, that may be arguable. Even if it's true, it's very common and normal to use scooters as transportation in Taiwan for many years. Drivers on the road have come to see this as a common everyday occurrence and they make some allowance for these scooterists and motorcyclists. There will be still be accidents because of impatience, carelessness and human errors, but the thought is there for these other road users. In SG, cars, lorries and buses dominate the road. There is less consideration for the smaller vehicles.

Last edited:

pocoyo

Alfrescian
Loyal
I remember in SSDC, they have this skilled biker riding course where you can play around with the bikes. For instance, they will teach you how to react when you skid and i think you are really supposed to skid and react accordingly during the course.:cool:

They also teach you how to bring up a bike when it falls to the ground. The very first in practical lesson..

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are one lucky #$W%$W%. If you don't mind. The 305 Dream is the bike that the authr of Zen and the Art of.... rode isn't it? Eh, how come you have access to all these historic rides? What's your line? Yes, I am curious. And you got a Bully to guard them too eh? Few years ago I was at a friend of a friend's farm place and they had an old banged up Yammy TT500. I still works and I got a chance to throttle it a little. That was the first time I had that much torque between my legs for a long time and I don't have the confidence anymore.

I rode two-stroke twins in my youth and owned an RD400 whilst a student in the States. As much as I like them, I can't imagine firing one (2 strokes) up these days with the neighbours looking on. The smoke they emit is a mortal sin. But I loved them then. I came across a well kept RD350 at a bike shop in Siglap earlier this year and casually asked the attendant there the price - 7K !!! I bought that 400 back in '84 for 300 bucks! Imagined if I had kept that machine? J-pass visa lah!

CB450 is really really vintage. Earlier than my time, but a few were around still.

My favs: T250 Hustler, CB750/500 actually, all the early CBs, Z-1, KZ650, KH250/350, RD250/350 (but not LC, once you stick a radiator on a cycle, it looks like shit!)

Cheers!

i have 1968 CA77 Dream 305cc and 1961 CA 100T Trail 50 (Trail Cub) :smile:

my friend got a 1970 CT70 Scrambler ...( i ask him to sell me but he dont want )

japan classic vintage bike market for collector is huge ...many model you cant find in singapore japan have it ...even some doctor also riding vintage bike to work instead of BMW ..singaporean doctor only know expensive cars ...

these are the bike i like :

honda 1967 CB450ko ....1968 bridgestone GTR 350 ....1966 HONDA CA160.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I fully understand the risk of riding a bike compared to a car.

Just curious. How many of you who have spoken against riding a bike actually possess a Class 2 licence ?

The option of riding a bike strikes me after my stay in Taiwan. Everybody seems to be riding a bike. And if you compare Taiwan's traffic to Singapore, I tell you Singapore is so orderly.

I kena suspend even before I got a licence. Back then, you got PDL, just hang L plate and can ride any c.c. A lot of crazy things happened, inexperienced blokes next day after get provisional go bike dealer put a hundred and fifty bucks as "downpayment" for a high powered bike, and don't bother thinking how they are going to carry on with monthlies. just respray bike and claim stolen. In the true bikler tradition :smile: Lot's of insurance problems, finance companies big headache! Ahhh, the good ole daze.....

The laws are better these days. And the change is for the better.

If you are going the two-wheel avenue, best is get into it seriously, not just commute. Read bike magazines, get to know enthuisiasts, I believe there are bona-fide organizsations these days for enthusiasts. The tips and mindset of enthusiasts bikers will be useful and believe it or not, they are a bunch of blokes more concerned with road safety than your average "commuter."

Take care guy.

Cheers!

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Those were Honda's ComStar wheels weren't they? They were first used on Honda's 750F2 (with the blackened engine.) Is yours a 750 or a 900? Honda kept to a SOHC config for the longest time for their inline fours until your model appeared - I think.

Very nice. Don't you wish you still own this beast?

Cheers!

I used to ride this when I was in army. Then, I sold to a jap who was working in Batam oil ind. I had it slightly modified with Ohlins suspension adn yoshimura pipe. Quite a head turneer then....:rolleyes:

2002_06_05_bikepics-27736-320.jpg

hotbot

Alfrescian
Loyal
mine is a 750,
no so sure abt the SOHC or DOHC?
ROV inspection quite troublesome as need to change exhaust pipe.

Those were Honda's ComStar wheels weren't they? They were first used on Honda's 750F2 (with the blackened engine.) Is yours a 750 or a 900? Honda kept to a SOHC config for the longest time for their inline fours until your model appeared - I think.

Very nice. Don't you wish you still own this beast?

Cheers!

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Before some of you get too carried away and turn this thread into your nostalgic bike thread, I'm only looking for a simple bike like this:

piaggio-mp3-scooter.jpg

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
If car too expensive and don't like public transport. Then bike is a choice.
There pros and con.
Pro
1. Cheaper to buy and maintain
2. Easy to find parking.
3. Cheaper parking rate and fuel cost( usage cost)

Con
1. Rain very dangerous ( best find shelter at road side if heavy rain)
2. More dangerous than car and public transport

Wish to add:

PRO:

4. Easier to steal.

CON:

3. Easier to get stolen.

:smile:

Depends on your age group.

Cheers!

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
mine is a 750,
no so sure abt the SOHC or DOHC?
ROV inspection quite troublesome as need to change exhaust pipe.

It's changed so much.

Y'shmuras were not in Sg yet. The only afterrmarkets were Dunstalls on Honda Fours and the only blokes who had these were the Kiwi soldiers and ROV officers (who else could afford them, and not get into shit).

Some really serious blokes who participated in the (then) Batu Tiga GP for series production motorbikes imported Kerkers from the US, but us local boys tweaked our carbs on our R5s, DS7s Yamahas and T20s Suzies. Acceleration and cornering were better than the Honda Big Fours on Sg streets (there was no PIE or ECP then) but the track was a different story.

Stock bike pipes look like shit; they should be changed.

Cheers!

hotbot

Alfrescian
Loyal
talking abt bikes, for spare parts, I often visit Ah boy's shop at Jln Besar. Another notable one if you want to get bikes, Lois motor,owned by a friend's father. But the last time I went to visit,it has shifted out of it's premises at Yishun Ind. Not sure if it's still ard.

hotbot

Alfrescian
Loyal
btw, if you notice or listen carefully to 4 stroke engines, the sound of Honda bikes are smoother than Suzukis.

It's changed so much.

Y'shmuras were not in Sg yet. The only afterrmarkets were Dunstalls on Honda Fours and the only blokes who had these were the Kiwi soldiers and ROV officers (who else could afford them, and not get into shit).

Some really serious blokes who participated in the (then) Batu Tiga GP for series production motorbikes imported Kerkers from the US, but us local boys tweaked our carbs on our R5s, DS7s Yamahas and T20s Suzies. Acceleration and cornering were better than the Honda Big Fours on Sg streets (there was no PIE or ECP then) but the track was a different story.

Stock bike pipes look like shit; they should be changed.

Cheers!

Kuailan

Alfrescian
Loyal
yes unless you want to die or be cripple in an accident.

did you see all the PRC bus driver, singapore taxi driver, PRC cyclist on the road. Better to be late than dead.

Come on don't curse motorcyclist, motorist too will die of accident,
pedestrian walking innocently will get knock down too...walking under HBD flat can get killed by killer litter...so where is safe place?

Seating at home the safest place, sometime you've got ceiling light can drop on your head kill you.

scoopdreams

Alfrescian
Loyal
I personally ride a bike for daily commute, and only have one wise phrase for you:

"you will surely die riding a bike, your job as a rider is to delay the inevitable so it doesn't come before your natural death."

i am strongly for riding a bike if you know your temperament to be suitable - alert, safety first, and good risk-evaluation. you save tons of money and time, i barely hit more than $100/mth for petrol, and bike is fully paid for - compare this to my friends who have an estimated outlay of $1500/mth at least for an avg car, every month for 10 years... and they still get home from work later than the public tpt folks.

i would have gone for public tpt, but i *absolutely* hate waiting - causes me much grief.

lastly, if you know you will suck as a rider, please join the other cagers - not for you, but for the rest of us riders who now have to contend with your madness on an already mad road.

Last edited:

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
btw, if you notice or listen carefully to 4 stroke engines, the sound of Honda bikes are smoother than Suzukis.

Over the years, and every year since the fours came into the scene, the ante was upped. It's been 40 decades since the first four banger shocked the world. First it was the CB K and it was like that nothing could beat that, then the Z-1 appeared (that was The King - to me, still is), then Suzuki went four stroke and came out with the GS series, these were the first "civilized" monster bikes, then Yamaha junked their four stroke twins and put out the XS1100, shaft driven! Sg's Traffic Cops got these too and TP riders became si pei laolan. Then came the Suzuki Katanas, then I got too scared. I watched from the side as the Interceptors (these weren't inline 4s, theywere V4), Fazers, Ninjas, Fireblades and Hayabusas came one after another. But I still like the old kick-start two-strokes because these were the bikes me and my friends rode together.

As for the sounds, I don't know - can't really tell. But one thing for sure, I like them all.

Cheers!