• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Super typhoon hits Philippines, rice crop at risk

C

Cao Pi

Super typhoon hits Philippines, rice crop at risk

By Manny Mogato MANILA | Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:04am BST

MANILA (Reuters) - Super typhoon Megi slammed into the northern Philippines shortly before noon on Monday, cutting off power, forcing airlines to cancel flights and putting the region's rice crop at risk. Megi, the 10th and strongest typhoon to hit the Philippines this year, hit Isabela province at 4:25 a.m. British time and was heading west southwest across the north of the main island of Luzon with winds of 225 kph near the centre, forecasters said. "We expect it to weaken and slow down after slamming into the mountains," Mario Palafox, a senior forecaster told reporters, saying the typhoon's eye had shrank to about 50 km but is expected to bring more rain and stronger winds.

Tropical Storm Risk (www.tropicalstormrisk.com) said Megi, known locally as Juan, was a category 5 super typhoon, the highest rating, with winds of more than 250 kph. Andrew Villacorta, regional executive director in the agriculture department, said Luzon's Cagayan valley accounted for 12 percent of national rice output, or about 1 million tonnes of unmilled rice, lower than earlier estimates from local officials. "Isabela and Cagayan are expected to be hit hard," Villacorta said. "Our estimates showed about 159,000 metric tonnes will be lost from Isabela. About 88,000 hectares will be affected. In Cagayan province, about 43,000 hectares will be affected. The estimated loss will be around 63,000 metric tonnes."

He said just over one third of the crop had been harvested, while about 90 percent of the corn crop had been harvested. Last year, the country lost 1.3 million tonnes of paddy rice following three strong typhoons in September and October, prompting it to go to the market early to boost its rice stocks. "This could bring destruction to our crops," Val Perdido, a regional farm official, told reporters. "It's the peak of harvest season now. More than 230,000 hectares of rice fields are still in their reproductive and maturing stages," Agricultural production makes up a fifth of the Southeast Asian country's GDP.

EVACUATIONS

Benito Ramos, head of the national disaster agency, said in a radio interview more than 3,000 people had been evacuated in Cagayan. Officials have warned of rough seas, and the risk of flash flooding, storm surges and landslides. A change in direction of the typhoon saw the capital, Manila, placed on storm signal 1, the lowest level on the local typhoon alert scale, with the weather department saying there were risks of winds of up to 60 kph. Billboards in the city have been taken down as a precaution.

President Benigno Aquino's cabinet held a meeting at an army base in Manila to review disaster preparations, although Aquino did not attend. Landslides blocked roads in Apayao province in Luzon while police said a farmer drowned in a swollen river in Cagayan province while pulling a water buffalo to safety. On Monday, Economic Planning Secretary Cayetano Paderanga said the economy likely grew at a slower pace year-on-year in the third quarter from the previous three months, but growth over the course of 2010 could be above 5-6 percent.

(Editing by John Mair and Sugita Katyal)

S

Sauron

Floods in Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam as super typhoon Megi (also known as Juan) hits Asia

roof-amazing_1741671i.jpg

The Philippines declared a state of calamity in a northern province after super typhoon Megi hit on Monday, cutting off power and communications, forcing flight cancellations and putting the region's rice crop at risk. Megi hit Isabela province at 11:25 a.m. (0325 GMT) and by early evening was heading west-southwest across the north of the main island of Luzon with winds of 180 kph (110 mph) near the centre, forecasters said. Tropical Storm Risk (http://www.tropicalstormrisk.com) said Megi, known locally as Juan, was a category 5 super typhoon, the highest rating, with winds of more than 250 kph (155 mph)

The roof flies off a house as super typhoon Megi, known locally as Juan, hits Ilagan City, Isabela province, northern Philippines

satellite-typhoon_1741572i.jpg

Forecasters said Megi was probably the most powerful storm in the world this year and the strongest to hit the Philippines since Typhoon Durian unleashed mudslides that buried entire towns and killed more than 1,000 people in 2006

This NASA satellite image, taken on October 17, shows Typhoon Megi, locally known as Juan, approaching the Philippines

vietnam-woman-in-r_1741564i.jpg

Megi could later hit Vietnam, where flooding has caused 30 deaths in recent days. In central Vietnam, officials said 20 people on a bus were swept away by strong currents from a river flooded by recent rains unrelated to Megi, while another 18 survived by swimming or clinging to trees or power poles

A woman breaks into tears as a rescuer arrives to evacuate her from her flooded home in Ha Tinh province, Vietnam

S

Sauron

thai-floded-street_1741580i.jpg

Thailand also reported flooding that submerged thousands of homes and vehicles and halted train services. No casualties were reported, and nearly 100 elephants were evacuated from a popular tourist attraction north of the capital

Cars are seen on a flooded street in north-eastern province of Nakhon Ratchasima, Thailand

philippines-pourin_1741563i.jpg

Villagers make their way through Typhoon Megi's strong winds and rain in Isabela province, northern Philippines.

philippines-tree_1741560i.jpg

Vehicles try to pass through a fallen tree at Cauayan, Isabela province in northeastern Philippines.

Gundam

Alfrescian
Loyal

philippines-man-on_1741672i.jpg

A man slides down the roof of a damaged building as super typhoon Megi hits Ilagan City, Isabela province, northern Philippine.

philippines-petrol_1741584i.jpg

Motorists drive past a filling station which was toppled by typhoon Megi (local name "Juan") in Cauayan, Isabela province in northeastern Philippines.

philippines-rain_1741582i.jpg

People walk through Typhoon Megi's strong winds and rain in Isabela province, northern Philippines.

Gundam

Alfrescian
Loyal

philippines-waitin_1741583i.jpg

Passengers sit at North Habour in Manila after a shipping official announced their trip had been cancelled due to Typhoon Megi.

philippines-advert_1741585i.jpg

Workers take down large advertising tarpaulins in preparation for the arrival of Typhoon Megi, known locally as Juan, in Manila.

philippines-rescue_1741557i.jpg

Troops prepare rubber boats to be used for disaster response and rescue missions,
during an inspection assembly at military headquarters in Quezon City, east of Manila.

Gundam

Alfrescian
Loyal

philippines-rescue_1741558i.jpg

Military rescuers stand beside life-saving equipment as Typhoon Megi approaches during an inspection at Camp Aguinaldo in Quezon City.

vietnam-elderly_1741568i.jpg

Rescuers help an elderly woman from her flooded home in Ha Tinh province, Vietnam.

vietnam-tvs_1741575i.jpg

A man tries to salvage TV sets from his flooded repair shop in Quang Binh province, Vietnam.

Gundam

Alfrescian
Loyal

vietnam-motorbikes_1741577i.jpg

People walk their motorcycles on a flooded section of the national highway Number One in Cam Xuyen district, Ha Tinh province, Vietnam.

vietnam-boat_1741845i.jpg

A man paddles a boat while transporting relief supplies at an isolated village during a flood in Huong Khe district, in Vietnam's central province of Ha Tinh.

vietnam-kid-on-bik_1741554i.jpg

A child take shelter under a plastic sheet on a motorcycle in heavy traffic during rain in Hanoi, Vietnam.

Gundam

Alfrescian
Loyal

thailand-flooded_1741848i.jpg

An aerial view of a flooded area in Nakhon Ratchasima province, northeastern Thailand.

thai-truck_1741565i.jpg

A pickup truck is abandoned on a flooded street in Nakhon Ratchasima province, northeastern Thailand.

thai-people-on-dig_1741561i.jpg

Residents ride on a digger as it makes its way down a flooded road in Nakhon Ratchasima province, Thailand.

Gundam

Alfrescian
Loyal

thai-pm_1741581i.jpg

Thai Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva (C) greets in Thai traditional to villagers during a visit to a flooded area in north-eastern province of Nakhon Ratchasima.

thai-floats_1741570i.jpg

Residents wade through flood water by holding a pole with floats attached to it as they evacuate their homes in Nakhon Ratchasima province, Thailand.

thai-truck_1741679i.jpg

A truck is abandoned at a flooded road in Nakhon Ratchasima province, northeast of Bangkok.