• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Stomp - donations can - students behave like ruffians

nextinfidel

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/singaporeseen/viewContent.jsp?id=60426

10pages of replies....

STOMPer C says that the students who were collecting donations were behaving inappropriately and did not take their task seriously.

This was in response to a post dated Feb 24, where a student claimed that he had been scolded for not bringing back a full donation tin.

In an email to STOMP today (Mar 4), STOMPer C says:

“I refer to the article ‘Student scolded for not bringing back a full donation tin’.

“I chanced upon this student’s complaints on STOMP and I must say that I am quite disgusted. I myself was present at the collection booth that the student describes; however, the scene which transpired was altogether a different one from what he has so woefully painted.

“From the very start of the day, the attitude that most of the students I saw displayed towards the event was nothing short of abominable. They were contemptuous and arrogant, many arriving much later than they had been instructed to come, filling the air with expletives and in a couple of cases, cigarette smoke.

“A good number of them had not even bothered to attire themselves in their school uniforms, and more than once we heard plans being made loudly to head to the nearest cinema for the day.

“Clearly, these students were intending to carry on with their weekend of fun in town. One of them had even brought his skateboard with him. Naturally, when they started trickling back to the collection point, their tins had not been filled. In fact, most of the tins that were handed to us were barely a fifth full. Tin after tin was turned in rattling a pitiful two or three coins inside. It was quite apparent that their handlers had simply emptied their own pockets.

“Our contributor claims that he spent five hours of ‘begging' that day. Perhaps he did. But some of the ‘begging’ that we witnessed consisted of students heading a few metres around the corner, out of sight from the collection booth. There those students spent their community service hours leaning against the walls, sharing cigarettes, pausing their conversations on their mobile phones only when people walked past to shout, ‘Donate money lah!’

“The contributor suggests that we seriously reflect on the lack of appreciation which was shown to these students. Well, I have done so and this is what I have to say about it. Are we to let these smug youths walk away with the CIP hours that they did not earn?

“It costs 60 cents to manufacture a tin. This does not include the cost of providing insurance and stickers – which were used as an artistic tool for students who took the liberty of creatively crafting them into permutations of varying shapes. Granted, the person who reprimanded the students may have been exaggerating somewhat that the money they turned in did not exceed 60 cents.

“But how much good will 65 or 70 cents do to an organisation whose survival depends on the goodwill and charity of the public? Certainly not when the public has not even been given the opportunity to do so while donation tins are accompanying cigarettes being smoked in an isolated corner. We even found a tin by the roadside, abandoned by a negligent student.

“These examples only brush the surface of the appalling behavior we witnessed that day. I can think of a plethora of reasons why CIP hours should be denied to these students, but I cannot list them all here.

“There were of course students who did take the task seriously and returned with reasonably filled tins. On some instances they were even filled to the brim, and I might add that they accomplished this in the drizzle that has been bemoaned by the friends of the contributing STOMPer.

“I am sure that the organisation is more than happy to express gratitude to these conscientious and genuinely altruistic students.

“That aside, I feel that it is my duty to defend the organisation’s side of the story, as the account that has been produced by the contributor is plainly one-sided. It reeks of malice and self pity, the intention to milk the sympathy elicited for all it is worth, with pretty words that have but have but a grain of truth in them.

“He has inflated, martyred himself, to dishonestly shame an organization that has been formed to help people less privileged than himself, hiding behind the shield of protection that his school is obliged to provide, rallying others to support the deceitful story he has spun.

“Is this what we have raised our children to become? Whining, whinging, dishonest and spiteful?

“If this is the ‘feeling of contribution to the society’ that the youth today adopt, I fear for us all.”

Last edited:

nextinfidel

Alfrescian
Loyal
one of the replies:
From the public response, some do not look at the bigger picture at all. Well, aside about the money issue, there are two kinds of students out there, students who really work to earn for their CIP hours and students who are there for the sake of being there.

really reminds you of SAF isn't it? some who really serve their national service to defend the country and some who just fuck the SAF System upside down and inside out.

another reply:
From the public response, some do not look at the bigger picture at all. Well, aside about the money issue, there are two kinds of students out there, students who really work to earn for their CIP hours and students who are there for the sake of being there.

we need more ppl like this... definitely.

Alfrescian
Loyal
Asking students to become beggars. Fuck them dead lah, you know what, even lunches were not provided.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
problem is they were force to do something they do not understand or care

who are these charity organisation, what do they do, who do they help, how they help them.

gov tax the sinkies so much, yet, need more money from the peasants???

of course, the students are not interested.

no one will be.

except a few.

they should do it right in the first place, instead of stuffing a tin can at the nose of sinkies.

they should first, educate and explain where the fxxk the money is going to. motivate the students and then much later. send them out.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Are the student being force to do that or do they do that willingly.

That is a lot of difference.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Since govt so rich that they can lose billion worth of our reserve, then they can jolly well afford to fund these "charities" through their own coffer. No longer will i put any money into any "tin", i will adopted govt policy of " u die your business". :oIo:

miosux

Alfrescian
Loyal
Are the student being force to do that or do they do that willingly.

That is a lot of difference.

i'd argue there shouldn't be a difference whether they were forced to or not.

we all have to do crap we don't like, and how well we do the crap we dislike is a mark of a person's maturity.

many of the students displayed a very immature state of mind. they may have 6" cocks, but they behaved like 6 yr olds... granted not all were like that, but sadly the good ones were in the minority.

shelltox

Alfrescian
Loyal
Since during our schools days in the 60's have student volunteered for flag days or donation drive. The students were all willing "volunteers" by the school. Remembered during my days in mission schools, we had fun-fair every year and we had to sell fun fair tickets. That's the way how the catholic schools raised funds. During our days, the students would behave as such watching movies or just hang around the bus interchange. After all boys will be boys.

shelltox

Alfrescian
Loyal
When someone is doing the wrong thing, you have the choice to follow or not. Instead of donating to organisations(You may not know what they do to your money), you may prefer to buy a packet of rice to feed the poor beggars or give a poor neigbourhood auntie a free coffee/tea. You dont have to donate your money. Afterall, compassion must be from you heart.

DerekLeung

Alfrescian
Loyal
WTF are schools forcing students to be beggars ?

Do they take a cut like in the real world !

If not schools are a waste of time feeding and giving jobs to teachers !

Alfrescian
Loyal
Every Saturday, you will see these students around shopping malls and markets, hanging around and asking for donations. Do yourself a favour, buy a drink for them than to donate money. There is one group who ask you to sign something like for a few dollars for charities and in turn they get commision. I encountered this at Orchard Road. Buy drinks for this group too.

jw5

Loyal
Life is hard.
First lesson for them, probably the first of many.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
i'd argue there shouldn't be a difference whether they were forced to or not.

we all have to do crap we don't like, and how well we do the crap we dislike is a mark of a person's maturity.

many of the students displayed a very immature state of mind. they may have 6" cocks, but they behaved like 6 yr olds... granted not all were like that, but sadly the good ones were in the minority.

I disagree. The students should have the right to have the say what they think of this donation drive and can choose if they want to do it or not.

That should be the mark of a person's maturity. The kind of education make the child a sinkie coward.

Nobody will do a good job when they are forced to do it. This kind of activities are just extra.

miosux

Alfrescian
Loyal
I disagree. The students should have the right to have the say what they think of this donation drive and can choose if they want to do it or not.

That should be the mark of a person's maturity. The kind of education make the child a sinkie coward.

Nobody will do a good job when they are forced to do it. This kind of activities are just extra.

you pre-suppose there is always a choice... NS strips choice away.

nonetheless, i do agree its a huge waste of time. there must be better ways of fund raising. eg school carnivals etc