• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Still have job?

cityhope

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi All,

I am fired today!!! :(
have been expecting this since middle dec 08. now dont know what to do. :(

any bro same fate as me? expecting to be fired?

Angelo

Alfrescian
Loyal
hi.

how much savings u have. can consider selling ur skills or something, online

cheers.

Last edited:

rainnix

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi All,

Don't lose hope. You still have your life. Hope you kept some savings...

peterlth

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sorry to hear that. Stay strong bro! Go for a drink or a short break, then start looking for a new job.

popdod

Alfrescian
Loyal
Stages that you will go through...

1. Accept the Reality.
No point blaming ur boss/company for giving you the golden handshake.
Despite your years of contribution & hardwork....boss have only 1 thing in mind....which is PROFIT.

No profit, no relationship.
You die is better than i die.

2. Calculate your Finances.
How much cashflow can last you? 6 mths or a year?
Cut down ur spendings tremendously...no more Ya Kun Kopi...no more Breadtalk. Reserve some $$$ for medical purposes <--- really cannot save on this.

3. Gather your thoughts and work on the next Plan.
List down your experiences, strengths..and your cons.
Is age a hindrance in finding a job?? Especially in singapore, where employers practice ageism and see you useless after 35.

So whatz next? Carry on to find a lower pay work? Find jobs overseas?
or gather a few frds to do a business...gonna think very hard on this.

4. Get the Right Attitude.
Alright, you lost ur job, downgrade ur house, wife desert you, friends act blur...so how? Life is gone??...Once you have your plan in place...focus on it.
Bad things happen to us everyday, everywhere...accept it and focus on the next plan.

Like what Rocky Balboa said...
"Let me tell you something you already know.
The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows.
It is a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are,
it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it.

You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life.
But it ain't about how hard you hit;
it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward.
How much you can take, and keep moving forward.
That's how winning is done."

We can blame the elites, blame PAP, blame the company, blame uncaring boss....but at the end of the day....no one can help you except yourself.

Cheers mate!

:biggrin: :wink: :biggrin:

R4g3

Alfrescian
Loyal
how's your financial status? cash on hand? any housing loan? car loan? credit card outstanding? maid? children? family medical burden?

If you dont have the above which majority of the people are having, then you should be able to survive very long until you get a job.

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
FTrash: I just brought in my kaki today and my kiddo was awarded a free scholarship by your generous govt. Gimme a high 5! *oh yeah!*

cowbellc

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lower your standard and change your mindset.
Take a temp job and ride it out.

You're juz one of the thousands.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
then start looking for a new job.

I would have thought that getting fired would put most people off ever getting another JOB!

JOBS are crap. You're never in control of your own destiny when you have one. Ask the threadstarter. He's experienced the downside of a job firsthand.

kuntakinte

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear City of Hope,

I hope your nick is not a pun to Singapore?

Besides all the points below mentioned by fellow forumer, ONE BIG important thing - POSITIVE !! Stay positive, think positive, and act positive. Easy to say, easy to understand, but not easy to practise. Because, you are about to experience the worst side of your fellow mankind !! Especially if you are given severance packages, your so call "friends" will have designs on your compensation and would try to con you to buy every fucking products (including services; such as, MLM motivation courses) that these scums are representing. So, spent your money wisely, fuck these motherfucking "friends".

Stages that you will go through...

1. Accept the Reality.
No point blaming ur boss/company for giving you the golden handshake.
Despite your years of contribution & hardwork....boss have only 1 thing in mind....which is PROFIT.

No profit, no relationship.
You die is better than i die.

2. Calculate your Finances.
How much cashflow can last you? 6 mths or a year?
Cut down ur spendings tremendously...no more Ya Kun Kopi...no more Breadtalk. Reserve some $$$ for medical purposes <--- really cannot save on this.

3. Gather your thoughts and work on the next Plan.
List down your experiences, strengths..and your cons.
Is age a hindrance in finding a job?? Especially in singapore, where employers practice ageism and see you useless after 35.

So whatz next? Carry on to find a lower pay work? Find jobs overseas?
or gather a few frds to do a business...gonna think very hard on this.

4. Get the Right Attitude.
Alright, you lost ur job, downgrade ur house, wife desert you, friends act blur...so how? Life is gone??...Once you have your plan in place...focus on it.
Bad things happen to us everyday, everywhere...accept it and focus on the next plan.

Like what Rocky Balboa said...
"Let me tell you something you already know.
The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows.
It is a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are,
it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it.

You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life.
But it ain't about how hard you hit;
it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward.
How much you can take, and keep moving forward.
That's how winning is done."

We can blame the elites, blame PAP, blame the company, blame uncaring boss....but at the end of the day....no one can help you except yourself.

Cheers mate!

:biggrin: :wink: :biggrin:

Hi All,

klongtoeytalk

Alfrescian
Loyal
i got fired too, but that was 2 years ago when times were still good. Keep telling myself 13 years of loyal service doesn't mean anything now. Kept my self-confidence and never-say-die attitiude, got myself a better job and 1 year later, was head-hunted for another job, and now I'm happily relocated in China with a great job.

Like they say, it's chicken-feet to say than do, which is cruelly true, but only if you allow it to happen. Stay rationale and positive minded always.

cityhope

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for all the encouragments.

i think i can survie few months with the cash on hand. Yes need to think hard about next steps. Will be looking for a job but i would like to start a business on renewable energy but that is only a dream as i know the ROI is unacceptable.:o

klongtoeytalk

Alfrescian
Loyal
good to hear that you have got some plans in-place, and keep motivating yourself to work towards your goal. Whether it happens now or 3 years later is not important, as what is important is to think positive, and stay away from self-pity and rubbish thoughts. Talk and share openly with your family and friends, cuz you will find good strength and energy from then sometimes.

Good luck!

hemunkeong

Alfrescian
Loyal
i got fired too, but that was 2 years ago when times were still good. Keep telling myself 13 years of loyal service doesn't mean anything now. Kept my self-confidence and never-say-die attitiude, got myself a better job and 1 year later, was head-hunted for another job, and now I'm happily relocated in China with a great job.

Like they say, it's chicken-feet to say than do, which is cruelly true, but only if you allow it to happen. Stay rationale and positive minded always.

Thats right, keep a positive mind. Its not the end of the world.
I was working for this foreign firm that paid their directors / FT tons of money and loads of benefits but the locals peanuts. They make us work like slave.:oIo:
I fired myself and presently doing rather well, I was offered a posting to Shanghai but turn it down as wife refuse to go.

1sickpuppy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nope 2 of my fellow workers at my section just quit and I am left to do 3 mens work :( I don't think I will be seeing my retrenchment benefit anytime soon :(