• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

steve jobs no more, apple also no more...

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
I'd say more like 3 years... probably less.

When a technology company starts going backwards, it usually goes down like a lead weight.

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
it will be quite a dramatic collapse for apple to crumble down like nokia. pretty unlikely.

Last edited:
M

Mdm Tang

Apple gets crushed, politicians walk towards cliff
In a remarkable day, the world’s largest company, Apple Computer (NASDAQ:AAPL) got crushed, taking the Nasdaq Composite (NYSEARCA:QQQ) down as the nation’s politicians took another step closer to the fiscal cliff.
Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL) was the big news maker for the day as the company’s stock fell 6.4% and shed more than $30 billion in market cap in a single day.* This action also bodes ill for the broader market as Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL) is the 900 pound gorilla in the U.S. stock market and, as goes Apple, so goes the market.* The stock is now close to forming a “death cross” sell signal which means the “Apple Indicator” is now flashing bright yellow.
Catalysts are critical to discovering winning stocks. Check out our newest CHEAT SHEET stock picks now.
In the fiscal cliff debate, the wrangling continues as both sides apparently continue to dig into their respective positions.* Now just 26 days remain until the U.S. economy goes over the cliff, however, even more urgently, Congress is scheduled to be in session only seven more days before the Christmas break.
In economic reports, the ISM* Non Manufacturing report beat expectations, factory orders were up but the ADP Employment report was down sharply from last month’s reading.
Europe was mostly higher as the Markit Composite PMI rose to beat expectations but still remained in contraction territory.
And almost unnoticed, Standard & Poors lowered Greece’s rating to selective default in response to the bond buyback program that the country is currently undertaking to get its next round of bailout money.* The agency cut Greece’s credit rating to SD which means selective default from its previous reading of CCC. * This comes on top of a previous reduction in the credit ratings of the European Stability Mechanism and European Financial Stability Facility by Moody’s a few days ago after the earlier downgrade of France which cost the country its AAA rating.

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
Such companies do well when they are in a near monopoly position as they can sell their gadgets at high prices. When others muscle in, not only is their market share squeezed but, to compete, they are forced to lower prices as well. Apple may well have passed its heyday.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
how can a die hard apple fanboy like you say such things?

I'm not an Apple fanboy. Apart from Mac OS X which is by far the best operating system by a country mile, the rest of Apple stuff is absolute crap. IOS is a nightmare for me. So is iTunes which I've always found very confusing and hardly intuitive.

My support for Apple was for its OS vs Microshit. When Steve started making gimmicky consumer products, he lost me. Instead of keeping Apple as a niche player, he turned Apple into a Microsoft.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Such companies do well when they are in a near monopoly position as they can sell their gadgets at high prices. When others muscle in, not only is their market share squeezed but, to compete, they are forced to lower prices as well. Apple may well have passed its heyday.

People forget that when Apple 1st entered the smartphone market they were the underdogs. There were already many companies dominating the industry like Nokia, Blackberry, ....

Before one writes off Apple & the iPhone just look at the prediction of a famous IT guru when the iPhone was 1st introduced :biggrin:

[video=youtube;eywi0h_Y5_U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eywi0h_Y5_U[/video]

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
niche provider cannot earn as much money as mass appeal. all about dollars and cents.

I'm not an Apple fanboy. Apart from Mac OS X which is by far the best operating system by a country mile, the rest of Apple stuff is absolute crap. IOS is a nightmare for me. So is iTunes which I've always found very confusing and hardly intuitive.

My support for Apple was for its OS vs Microshit. When Steve started making gimmicky consumer products, he lost me. Instead of keeping Apple as a niche player, he turned Apple into a Microsoft.

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
People forget that when Apple 1st entered the smartphone market they were the underdogs. There were already many companies dominating the industry like Nokia, Blackberry, ....

Before one writes off Apple & the iPhone just look at the prediction of a famous IT guru when the iPhone was 1st introduced :biggrin:

[video=youtube;eywi0h_Y5_U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eywi0h_Y5_U[/video]

I am not writing it off. I am saying its heyday may be past. The novelty effect of something new where the company can charge high prices may be over. You can only make so many derivatives of the same product before people start to move on. There has to be a completely new product to capture the imagination to maintain relevance, otherwise the price of derivatives will just keep on falling as similar devices would be mass produced by others at even lower prices.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am not writing it off. I am saying its heyday may be past. The novelty effect of something new where the company can charge high prices may be over. You can only make so many derivatives of the same product before people start to move on. There has to be a completely new product to capture the imagination to maintain relevance, otherwise the price of derivatives will just keep on falling as similar devices would be mass produced by others at even lower prices.

The only other company having success in the phone market is Samsung & they are just making cheaper versions of the iPhone.

There will always be people willing to pay a premium for a better quality & user experience. This is the market that Apple is in. Apple is the only company able to design the software & hardware. This integration allows them to squeeze more performance from a phone & provide faster updates.

Add that to the iTune store to improve the "user experience". Many developers support the iPhone because it brings the $$. A smartphone is useless without the apps. That's why some say that the real threat to Apple can only come from a company like Amazon

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
The only other company having success in the phone market is Samsung & they are just making cheaper versions of the iPhone.

There will always be people willing to pay a premium for a better quality & user experience. This is the market that Apple is in. Apple is the only company able to design the software & hardware. This integration allows them to squeeze more performance from a phone & provide faster updates.

Add that to the iTune store to improve the "user experience". Many developers support the iPhone because it brings the $$. A smartphone is useless without the apps. That's why some say that the real threat to Apple can only come from a company like Amazon
Take a closer look at blackberry 10. Think this company will eat apple for lunch from next year.

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When cult leader dies, the cult will dissolve eventually.

Anyone noticed the iPad-mini did not create any great hoo-hah anywhere ?

Last edited:

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
When cult leader dies, the cult will dissolve eventually.

Anyone noticed the iPad-mini did not create any great hoo-hah anywhere ?

Yes, this happens when someone is synonymous with an organisation.
If Jobs had a son in the biz who was heir apparent then the lustre attached to the biz and the name might still be as strong as ever.