• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

ST Ed worries SG’s scholar model under threat

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Imo, the scholar practice is a mistake right from the start.

Agree. It was started for selfish reasons. To have his three children as scholars.

The fatal assumption, imo, is that all scholars, given their brains, can handle and adapt anywhere in the real world, can make valuable contributions to society etc.
From my experience in the SPF, having had these scholars as bosses, subordinates and colleagues, I think many are not suited for the SPF. They are better off teaching in the universities. They just don't have the X factor in the real world.

bigboss

Alfrescian
Loyal
Pappies are now really desperate for new faces and talents to be their candidates in coming GE

There is a report of a lawyer with criminal record and tattoos being considered as pappies' new candidate. Scholars are now heading for WP. What is happening to the pappies?

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Singapore is a failure of a country,we are a country of academics and perfect exam scorers managers bureaucrats and wannabes.

We cannot do engineering like the german,japanese,americans and russians,cannot innovate like americans,cannot entrepreneurial and do business like the hongkies and americans,cannot make music like the british,cannot write like the brits,americans and french.cannot play soccer,cannot ride bikes,cannot act,cannot build like the chinese.what exactly can sinkies do?make money and shop at h&m and eat at ding tai feng?

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I want my kids and grandkids to be scholars too. And then cut their teeth in the real world. Start companies, invent products and services. Not to be sucked into cronyism of a political party. If you ask me, I have more respect for those paper generals if they had stayed in their profession. Retire as a soldier and not get seduced by easy money and power. These are not honourable men, they can be bought.

The generals that join PAP do so towards the end of their military careers. If PAP doesn't recruit them fast enough, the private sector may! The demand for talent is always greater than supply!

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The generals that join PAP do so towards the end of their military careers. If PAP doesn't recruit them fast enough, the private sector may! The demand for talent is always greater than supply!

Private sector bosses are no fools. If they do take these soldier scholars, it is not because of their brains but their crony connections.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Private sector bosses are no fools. If they do take these soldier scholars, it is not because of their brains but their crony connections.

If these Fortune 500 bosses hire them base on their real ability, i think these fortune 500 company might as well close shop. They are not too suited to run real profit and innovation company.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Surely there must be a private enterprise out there willing to pay top dollars for these talents.ibm,microsoft,google or goldman sachs.why havent they rush forward to hand these generals a job offer.why content with running a tiny red dot when u can conquer the world?

Last edited:

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Surely there must be a private enterprise out there willing to pay top dollars for these talents.ibm,microsoft,google or goldman sachs.why havent they rush forward to hand these generals a job offer.why content with running a tiny red dot when u can conquer the world?
our

The result speaks or rather the take up rate for these scholars speak for itself. By far, the best result goes to George Yeo. Sugar King Snap him up. But this company is no Goldman Sachs.