• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Speaker as CHAMPION OF BACKBENCHERS in holding Govt to Account

Rumpole

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is a video of John Bercow’s re-election as Speaker on 18th May 2010.

Something for Madam Halimah Yacob to chew upon – the importance of impartiality and her role as “champion of the backbenchers”. I don’t believe any of the Speakers during the Deaf-Mute PAP-dominated Parliaments have ever taken the role of “champion of the backbenchers” seriously.

@ 0:49 to 1:22 – John Bercow: “I would discharge my duties IMPARTIALY, not just between parties but between individual members. Above all, I would defend the rights of backbenchers to hold the government to account and to champion the causes dear to their hearts.”

@ 5:44 to 8:30 – The Right Honourable Member for Kensington, who has been in the House long enough to see six different Speakers summaries what in his view are the 3 essential requirements for a Speaker to have:

1) Be absolutely fair as between individual members;

2) Use his/her great power and authority in the House with flexibility and on occasion with humour to control the temperature; and

3) Act as the Champion of the Backbenchers against not just the Government front bench (i.e. Ministers) but also the Opposition front bench (i.e. Shadow Cabinet) as well.

Well, the Opposition in Singapore does not as yet have the numbers to form a Shadow Cabinet. It’s high time we elect more Opposition MPs to make that possible.

[video=youtube;Gi1mQyYsMis]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gi1mQyYsMis[/video]

Last edited:

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sorry, Singapore hates the British. Look at our SAF, hardly any exercises with the British armed forces at all.

Rumpole

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sorry, Singapore hates the British. Look at our SAF, hardly any exercises with the British armed forces at all.

Wow, cocky PAP IB purports to speak on behalf of all Singaporeans!

You should have said PAP Leegime hates the British, for showing the world how a real Westminster democracy should work and uploading it on Youtube!

Armies are for war and Parliaments are for debating national issues. Like your master said, don't compare apples with oranges. :p

Last edited: