• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Speak Dialects, you feel tribal ! Speak mandarin, it will break unity!

lancheowman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just use one's common sense.

launcheowman is stating that chinese learning Mandarin would not connect one's to chinese root. Does it make any sense to any of u guys here???

it doesn't make any sense to me.

fail comprehension jiu si fail comprehension, pls dun try your dirty stance, uncle say learning mandarin bring you in touch with 300 years of heritage...learning dialects give you 3000 years. you want to xia suay you further by reproducing that part of my post which you read but fail to comprehend....it is very easy when you are telling the truth and have no hidden agenda, that why uncle is trouncing you....

HakkaThaileen

Alfrescian
Loyal
oh you are not hokkien and yet you are saying all hokkien are low class, brutish and of a gangstaer background? why are you making such racist comments? do you know it is a crime to speard ill feelings among races on the internet....last time this fella kena go jail because of some dog remarks to muslims....:confused:

anyway, i have no idea that there are hokkien peng platoons around. i never encountered any when i serve my ns. are you saying they are such platoons who only speak hokkien? are yuou sure it is soemthing everybody know? who told you that? has anyone seen a hokkien platoon around? anyone from a hokkien peng platoon here?:biggrin:

Hokkien Platoon was introduced in the early 70s to cater to those who spoke neither English nor Chinese (Mandarin).

Soldiers were differentiated by the colours of the name tags (green, yellow & red) worn by them.

It has since ceased to exist.

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
And also, those clips, using so call middle chinese to recite, does it sound clear to u as compare to using mandarin to recite?? It sound worse off than using mandarin.

lancheowman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hokkien Platoon was introduced in the early 70s to cater to those who spoke neither English nor Chinese (Mandarin).

Soldiers were differentiated by the colours of the name tags (green, yellow & red) worn by them.

It has since ceased to exist.

then the ah neh neh go where? how come got no ah neh neh platoon for ah neh neh who dun speak english and mandarin too?

there should be a black for ah neh neh too

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
fail comprehension jiu si fail comprehension, pls dun try your dirty stance, uncle say learning mandarin bring you in touch with 300 years of heritage...learning dialects give you 3000 years. you want to xia suay you further by reproducing that part of my post which you read but fail to comprehend....it is very easy when you are telling the truth and have no hidden agenda, that why uncle is trouncing you....

BS means BS.

It doesn't helps to paint bullshit in red. Its still bullshit.

lancheowman

Alfrescian
Loyal
And also, those clips, using so call middle chinese to recite, does it sound clear to u as compare to using mandarin to recite?? It sound worse off than using mandarin.

it sounds better than in mandarin because that was what it was written in. if not clear, maybe because your comp no good or youtube no good.....whats your surname anyway? aisin gioro or wanyan?

snrcitizen

Alfrescian
Loyal
Even amongst teochews, there are some variations (shades of intra dialects?). Reflects diff districts from swatow I'm told.

For all the merits to push mandarin, why forsake or sacrifice mother tongue ('dialectly' speaking)??

Having different dialects is a challenge for me in itself, then having different versions within the same dialect group really complicates the already complex diversity.

I agree on your point of mother tongue is dialect instead of Mandarin. This was (and still is) my contention since mother tongue was sold to us as just being Mandarin and dialects banned from official media.

During the early days of the intro of Mandarin as the mother tongue, I could not speak a word of it. I was told off by people who were proficient in Mandarin for being a Chinese but unable to speak Chinese. Then I asked them if I speak my dialect, would that not count as being a Chinese language? I then realise that these people are just being emotional without objectivity.

Since then I resolved to learn Mandarin but mainly for my businesses in China, but only as a general tool. Instead, I found out that in different provinces and counties in China you are treated much as an outsider if you speak Mandarin to them. Their attitudes towards me is significantly warmer if I could speak their local dialect and their doors open much wider.

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
it sounds better than in mandarin because that was what it was written in. if not clear, maybe because your comp no good or youtube no good.....whats your surname anyway? aisin gioro or wanyan?

You agree it sounds better using Mandarin to recite those Li Bai's poems.

So why do u claim that using Cantonese, or other dialect to recite tang's poem sounds better??

Didn't u contradict yourself here??

lancheowman

Alfrescian
Loyal

eh.....are you saying ppl from tang dynasty are not clear in their speech and they should have spoke mandarin instead?

lancheowman

Alfrescian
Loyal
You agree it sounds better using Mandarin to recite those Li Bai's poems.

So why do u claim that using Cantonese, or other dialect to recite tang's poem sounds better??

Didn't u contradict yourself here??

errh....tell me what did you get for your PSLE english? :biggrin:

let uncle teach you comprehension ...can you tell us the difference between these two sentences?

"it sounds better THAN in mandarin..."
"it sounds better in mandarin":p

you want multiple choices?:biggrin:

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
if you think it is bs, you shld tell us why it is so. if you cannot tell us why, then it is not bs and it oso imply you are the bs

Let me show an example. There's some American, they claim that Shakespare's work, is one of the canon of Western Civilization.

Now, does it mean that the American or British, have to speak like Shakespare in order to connect to their cultural roots??

Its just against common sense to say that the American or British, has gotta speak and sounds like the Ancient Brit, in order to get connect to their roots.

Same with the logic of using spoken language which sounds like Ancient Chinese in order to connect to Chinese roots.

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
errh....tell me what did you get for your PSLE english? :biggrin:

let uncle teach you comprehension ...can you tell us the difference between these two sentences?

"it sounds better THAN in mandarin..."
"it sounds better in mandarin":p

you want multiple choices?:biggrin:

You are saying that those clips, it sounds better than reciting in Mandarin??

I disagree. It sounds muddled. Unclear. As compare to using Mandarin to recite those Li Ba's Poems.

lancheowman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Let me show an example. There's some American, they claim that Shakespare's work, is one of the canon of Western Civilization.

Now, does it mean that the American or British, have to speak like Shakespare in order to connect to their cultural roots??

Its just against common sense to say that the American or British, has gotta speak and sounds like the Ancient Brit, in order to get connect to their roots.

Same with the logic of using spoken language which sounds like Ancient Chinese in order to connect to Chinese roots.

haizzzz..... my little housefly, logic is not like magic, if you dun hv it, dun try to use it...

shakespear lived in 1600s not in ancient history... he spoke and wrote in modern english or an early version of it. shakespearean english is very similar to modern english.... so americans and englishmen are all speaking like him and thats why they all can connect to him...

a better example would be chaucer's canterbury tales in the 1400s which was actually written in middle english and sound a little like french... have you ever wondered why no amercian is saying that the canterbury tales is part of their roots?

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
haizzzz..... my little housefly, logic is not like magic, if you dun hv it, dun try to use it...

shakespear lived in 1600s not in ancient history... he spoke and wrote in modern english or an early version of it. shakespearean english is very similar to modern english.... so americans and englishmen are all speaking like him and thats why they all can connect to him...

a better example would be chaucer's canterbury tales in the 1400s which was actually written in middle english and sound a little like french... have you ever wondered why no amercian is saying that the canterbury tales is part of their roots?

whatever. you said that speaking mandarin would not connect one to Chinese root, i just don't find it a fair statement.

lancheowman

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are saying that those clips, it sounds better than reciting in Mandarin??

I disagree. It sounds muddled. Unclear. As compare to using Mandarin to recite those Li Ba's Poems.

if you actually pay more attention and listen and read carefully, then it might help. whether you think it is muddled or not, the fact is that is middle chinese and that was the language they used in those days and that was how it was supposed to sound like.

your sound card quality is not a good reason to disparage middle chinese.

you want to try old chinese, read the first poem in confucius's book of songs in mandarin....there is no rhyme , does it sound right to you in mandarin?

關關雎鳩
在河之洲
窈窕淑女
君子好逑
參差荇菜
左右流之
窈窕淑女
寤寐求之
求之不得
寤寐思服
悠哉悠哉
輾轉反側
參差荇菜
左右采之
窈窕淑女
琴瑟友之
參差荇菜
左右芼之
窈窕淑女
鐘鼓樂之

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal

lets be frank. don't tell me, you find those youtube clip, reciting Li Bai's poems in Middle Chinese, don't tell me, u find them clear? Don't tell me u think it sounds better than using Mandarin to recite???

lancheowman

Alfrescian
Loyal
whatever. you said that speaking mandarin would not connect one to Chinese root, i just don't find it a fair statement.

you are just denying for the sake of denial....and twisiting my words as usual....i said mandarin connect you to 300 years while dialects brings you further

lancheowman

Alfrescian
Loyal
lets be frank. don't tell me, you find those youtube clip, reciting Li Bai's poems in Middle Chinese, don't tell me, u find them clear? Don't tell me u think it sounds better than using Mandarin to recite???

haizzzz....the point is those poems were not written in mandarin...but in middle chinese.... are you trying to tell me li bai and all tandg dynasty people were a linguistic joke?