• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Southeast Asia's Belt and Road rail hopes beset by delays

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The towns that highway bypasses in peninsular malaysia are slowly shrinking.
I reckon it will be the same with high speed rail. Besides high speed rail tracks cannot be used for cargo trains.
Fastest locomotive can go at 240km/ hr. I think for kl-sinkie, that is fast enough. A two hour ride, cheaper, plus tracks can be used for cargo trains.

Those towns were once important due to their location near plantations, mines or highways. With HSR, new towns will rise while others shrink. It's the cycle of economic life in larger countries. But the overall effect on the HSR for countries has been positive. It's worth subsidizing the railway. It's the same with our MRT lines in Singapore. MRT being profitable is an added bonus for us.

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
The towns that highway bypasses in peninsular malaysia are slowly shrinking.
I reckon it will be the same with high speed rail. Besides high speed rail tracks cannot be used for cargo trains.
Fastest locomotive can go at 240km/ hr. I think for kl-sinkie, that is fast enough. A two hour ride, cheaper, plus tracks can be used for cargo trains.
Yes 240km/hr is good enough. N should be dual use for cargo n passenger trains. That will be more economically viable.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes 240km/hr is good enough. N should be dual use for cargo n passenger trains. That will be more economically viable.
I think the issue right now is funding and returns.
KL builds 85% of track, 8 stations and half a bridge.
Sinkie builds half a bridge, one station plus a short track of maybe 15km.
How do you fund such a lopsided infrastructure.if it fails, KL gets the brunt of losses.
Plus this train does not pass through JB sentral. A major urban centre,
Plus after KL forking out 85% of cost, sinkie still gets 50% of say on operations.

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think the issue right now is funding and returns.
KL builds 85% of track, 8 stations and half a bridge.
Sinkie builds half a bridge, one station plus a short track of maybe 15km.
How do you fund such a lopsided infrastructure.if it fails, KL gets the brunt of losses.
Plus this train does not pass through JB sentral. A major urban centre,
Plus after KL forking out 85% of cost, sinkie still gets 50% of say on operations.
That is cos singkieland will account for 80% of the customer base. N if buy the ticket from singkieland.. confirm will be in singh dollars... N it will benefit mudland more than singkieland. Imagine m&ds using the HSR for your between towns..n a more efficient logistics network. So singkieland pay 50% is way too much. Internal usage all in ringgit hor