• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Soon Heng Restaurant closes, no S'porean wanted job

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Guessed Soon Heng have priced themseLves out of the market, especiaLLy with their side dishes; which was damned ex.UnLess you are entertaining your cLients on company's account; how many office co-workers can afford to have their Lunches there ..:cool:

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
must be cheapskates slave driver employers..........never heard of this place before also........must be some act famous place close due to no business........good riddance.

Bro, I makaned there about 2 years ago. Very expensive compared to other similar restaurants. Never went back until quite recently when a friend wanted to blanjah me.

Extremist

Alfrescian
Loyal
1618.jpg

One of S'pore's oldest curry fish head places closed last week as it can't get enough Singaporean workers to fill MOM quota.

Singapore, November 5, 2012

The last curry fish head had been served and the last customer had paid and left.

At 1.45pm on Wednesday, Soon Heng Restaurant at Kinta Road - one of the oldest curry fish head restaurants in Singapore - pulled down its shutters for good, after 36 years.

Its owners, Mr Hoong Khai Chew, 49, and his wife, Madam Ong, said they can no longer find the manpower to serve their trademark curry fish head.

Madam Ong told The New Paper that the restaurant had a problem finding enough Singaporeans to fill the required Singaporean-to-foreigner quota: "Singaporeans tend to stay away from the F&B industry.

They don't like to work on Sundays and public holidays, and do not like to be put on probation.

"We have placed advertisements as well as contacted job fairs, and the Yellow Ribbon Project, but few would approach us directly."

Their three children, aged 17, 18 and 19, would help out as much as they could but none of them has expressed interest in taking over the business.

In June, the couple closed their Prinsep Street branch, Soon Heng @ Hyde Park Cafe.

When The New Paper visited the Kinta Road outlet at lunch-time yesterday, the place was abuzz with customers, mostly office workers.

Mr W P Lee, an accounts department clerk, had been a customer of Soon Heng for more than 10 years, and likes it for a practical reason - it is near his workplace.

"After today, no more. No more curry fish head. Nowhere else to go," he jokingly said. He dined there about once a week with his colleagues.

Soon Heng was set up at Kinta Road by Mr Hoong's father, Mr Hoong Ah Kong, in the 1970s.

Starting out at the bottom under his father's guidance, Mr Hoong then learnt the trade and took over the business in 1986.

13-hour shifts

As the main cook, he would be the first to arrive at his shop and usually the last one to leave, pulling 13-hour shifts.

Mr Hoong would also usually leave home by 6am to get ingredients from a market in Bedok.

Following his father's instructions, he insisted on using only fresh fish heads daily.

For now, Mr Hoong and his wife Madam Ong plan to take a break.

But they may consider re-opening their restaurant as a partnership in the future, if there are interested parties.

If someone or company can provide a solution to the issue of manpower, Mr Hoong and his wife said they are willing to chip in with the recipe.

The couple is also open to the idea of publishing a Soon Heng cookbook.

Mr Prem Sharma, a manager at a printing company, said that he had known Mr Hoong for about 36 years, since 1976, when the senior Mr Hoong's first stall was still operating at Selegie Road.

"The unique thing about Soon Heng is that they have items that cannot be found in Indian curry fish head restaurants, such as the chap chye (mixed vegetables)and the sambal prawns."

His daughter Anita, who was dining with him at the restaurant on Wednesday, said her father had told her of the impending closure. She then decided to visit it one last time as she had just returned from a overseas trip.

She said: "As a manager at a company, I can understand the problems they are facing, as it is hard to get a hold of dedicated and good workers."

As The New Paper chatted with Mr Hoong and Madam Ong yesterday afternoon, workers went in and out, removing various kitchen equipment such as the storage cooler used for the drinks, as those were rented.

They had an early end to the day, as Mr Hoong had cooked all the fish heads that he had at the shop. Some customers went away disappointed.

Mr KF Seetoh of Makansutra said the closure was regrettable.

"They are one of the few decently respectable Chinese curry fish head places around. It's too bad there's no instituted continuity in this field (referring to the news that Mr Hoong's children had no interest in inheriting the business)."

Well-known food blogger Dr Leslie Tay, 43, of ieatishootipost.sg, expressed surprise when told about the closure.

"I called them a couple of months ago, when they closed their Prinsep street outlet. They said everything was fine."

HISTORY

Founder Hoong Ah Kong was born in a Fujian village in 1927. He emigrated to Singapore in 1936.
Became an assistant at a coffee shop in Selegie Road, run by a Hainanese man selling chapati and curry.
Took over the coffee shop in 1951 when the man retired. Named the coffee shop Chin Wah Heng.
Decided to start experimenting how to cook fish head curry in 1962.
1970s: Gained popularity.
1975: Mr Hoong's son, Khai Chew, began learning the skills from his father.
1975: Kinta Road's Soon Heng Restaurant set up.
1980s: Soon Heng Cafe at Prinsep Street opened.
Khai Chew officially takes over the running of the business at Kinta Road in 1986. His father stayed on to keep an eye on things.
June 2012: Prinsep Street outlet closed.
Oct 31, 2012: Soon Heng outlet at Kinta Road closed.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't worry. I will support you. excellent post. Agreed. We shld target the PMET sectors, limit foreigners there and relax in the F&B sectors.

Dear Frens,

my 2 cents input with regards to the Foreign Workers in Singapore. I sure kenna flame by the left wing bleeding heart liberals, and the right wing extremist.,.but I will write it anyway.

Firstly, I had a chat last night with a Pinay chick in pinoyland who worked in spore before. She worked as a manager in a fast food place for a year than went back. Now she want to return to singkieland but cant get job as MOM is not issuing work permits etc etc. Also many fast food outlets really short of workers....not just this unheard off fish head curry stall.

I feel that for F & B industry, we as educated singkies should not worry about Foreigners doing the jobs as we wont do it right? We should be like Mudland where by low level jobs etc are done by cheap foreign labour and supervisors and managers etc be done by locals.

That way locals can get higher pay, move up the value chain and foreigners handle the low end crap. Look lets be serious,,who wants to be waiter in this day and age??

Ok another point, back in the 80s and 90s. Most waiters etc were all local,,people even went into SHATEC to get jobs in F & B..but thanks to the PAP all these got disrupted and cheap FTs just took over the whole thing.

We need to restore the 'balance'. Whereby Foreign workers are there to compliment local labour and not overtake it.

MOM did the right thing in cutting the foreign labour but they are doing it in the wrong industry. They should be cutting labour on the PMET category, that is where most singkies are employed and they are the middle class and the ones which generate the most economic activity and generates the most stability. If PAP wants votes,,look after singkies,,and not whine that PAP will lose votes etc,,,when it comes up with shit policies.

In addition for the F&B industry,,all supervisors and managers must be locals,,only wait staff etc than are foreigners,,,this way by undercutting the wages of the foreigners will locals have higher pay,..also have to eliminate PAP rent seeking behaviour and monitor rent increases and its high time rents get cut..

Kinana

Alfrescian
Loyal
We need a massive import of foreign workers or food prices will go up and the poor will suffer.

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
We need a massive import of foreign workers or food prices will go up and the poor will suffer.

..and your Foreign workers wiLL end up cooking their own version of strangeLy acquired tasting dishes ?..
:eek::cool:

nycheong

Alfrescian
Loyal
..and your Foreign workers wiLL end up cooking their own version of strangeLy acquired tasting dishes ?..
:eek::cool:

The restriction AFFECTED S pass applicants, WP PRC as well as Malaysian in the service sector most. More SME will follow soon to scale down or close as renewal is also a big issue. Good luck more sporean will drive taxi while waiting for high wage cleaning job.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
MOM did the right thing in cutting the foreign labour but they are doing it in the wrong industry. They should be cutting labour on the PMET category, that is where most singkies are employed and they are the middle class and the ones which generate the most economic activity and generates the most stability. If PAP wants votes,,look after singkies,,and not whine that PAP will lose votes etc,,,when it comes up with shit policies.

I suspect the PMET deluge has to do with the recession in 2008. Part of the labour force stopped contributing CPF, another portion is making withdrawal. Particularly foreigners such as PRs increasingly adds pressure to the pension system in meeting unplanned withdrawal obligations. Hence the deluge we observe post crisis.

CPF contributions for PRs is a demon of our own design. CPF Board is addicted to PRs as much as corporations are addicted to E-pass, S-pass holders.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
THat is y the gahmen is fucking stupid,,for PRs,,make them pay taxes and not CPF,,,ask them to put money in CPF for fuck?? take it as tax lah,,gahmen so want money and yet dont know how to take,,,stupid

I suspect the PMET deluge has to do with the recession in 2008. Part of the labour force stopped contributing CPF, another portion is making withdrawal. Particularly foreigners such as PRs increasingly adds pressure to the pension system in meeting unplanned withdrawal obligations. Hence the deluge we observe post crisis.

CPF contributions for PRs is a demon of our own design. CPF Board is addicted to PRs as much as corporations are addicted to E-pass, S-pass holders.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
THat is y the gahmen is fucking stupid,,for PRs,,make them pay taxes and not CPF,,,ask them to put money in CPF for fuck?? take it as tax lah,,gahmen so want money and yet dont know how to take,,,stupid

Should confiscate all CPF contribution upon decision to leave our shores. More new citizen conversions and no more gaming the system. i.e. one spouse citizen the other PR.

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thank you motherfucking whining losers. Make another Singaporean go bust.

Soon Heng Restaurant closes, no S'porean wanted job One of S'pore's oldest curry fish head places closed last week as it can't get enough Singaporean workers to fill MOM quota.
Singapore, November 5, 2012

MBSSLOTS

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
they deserve to close down after abusing cheap foreign labour for their pockets for umpteen years.

it is because of these capitalists that salaries of locals are depressed.

the solotion is to pay his workers better and in turn raise prices.

instead these stupid daft nutcase close the business!

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
yeah but like for the pinoys and ah tiongs,,they can always re aquire their lost citizenship...how to deal with it? confiscate their assets?

Should confiscate all CPF contribution upon decision to leave our shores. More new citizen conversions and no more gaming the system. i.e. one spouse citizen the other PR.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
yeah but like for the pinoys and ah tiongs,,they can always re aquire their lost citizenship...how to deal with it? confiscate their assets?

Solly that thread I never read. CPF always keep with gobblemen mah. Same for evyone. Up to 65 then can see a trickle. Same if pinoys or tiongs conbert to SG sillizenship. Must stay on then can receive pension. Otherwise wasted, many years CPF contribution bo liao. I answer your question bo?

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
but bro,,they give up their citizenship and leave,,gahmen must give the money back to them,,,that is why if tax them and they fuck off,,no need to give them money right?

Solly that thread I never read. CPF always keep with gobblemen mah. Same for evyone. Up to 65 then can see a trickle. Same if pinoys or tiongs conbert to SG sillizenship. Must stay on then can receive pension. Otherwise wasted, many years CPF contribution bo liao. I answer your question bo?

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What is so special about Soon Heng curry fish head. I find them everywhere in Singapore. If one closes, two others open, so I see no big deal about closing down SH CFH because no one suffer and no job loss since nobody want to take up the shitty job. Besides, I only eat my mom's home cook curry fish head and it is better than anywhere I have tasted. Even if my mom didn't want to cook on certain day, we can easily get the delicious Asam curry fishhead at our neighbourhood coffee shop for a mere $20 to feed 5 persons.

I also noticed a new curry fishead restaurant has opened near Sin Ming area...Singaporeans are spoilt for choice. SH boss should consider working as employee for some of these restaurants and tell us what he think working for someone else.