• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

SMU Eugene Tan's professorial thesis published. Getting his full professorship soon.

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: SMU Eugene Tan's professorial thesis published. Getting his full professorship s

It best that Chee uses a media or political adviser to guide him thru this. In asian and particularly in Chinese dominated societies and this includes, China, Hk Taiwan families are off limits and only the wife makes a cursory appearance for photo shoots. Sometimes the family including the kids are interviewed to establish the family background at the start of the campaign. Chee has a good and well grounded family and thus a tremendous assets to his political capital. However they should not be part of the politics or the political hustings This is where he crossed the line. It is also not done in Western Society.

When he evoked his children's names during the rally and overexposed the family in the media, it would have gone down as a lead balloon. It strikes as an attempt to gain sympathy votes or desperate. It was made worse by his supporters creating graphics with the kids names. Again I don't think he is politically astute or savvy. He needs guidance. To anyone in politics it basically 101 when it comes to families in politics.

Seriously,I can't think of anything original that he had said. I have always thought of him as a lightweight academic; playing it safe and to the gallery! He states the obvious; so much so it is painfully embarrassing and unbecoming of a then assistant professor. He never strikes one as having a strong, independent and creative intellect! His latest put-down of Dr.Chee who lost in the by-election is wholly unremarkable and opportunistic. I bet you he would be singing a different tune of praise if Dr.Chee was elected.

Agree. Very wishy washy neither here or there kind of person!

Blazars

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: SMU Eugene Tan's professorial thesis published. Getting his full professorship s

CNA always invite either Eugene Tan or Gillian Koh as pro-miw political commentator.
Every time see them regurgitating on TV,will switch channel.Really sickening .

Last saturday was on tv watching the BB BE result. And this eugene was giving his views. Its really difficult to carry on watching. His views are so bais! I think Dawn Tan ask better questions than this eugene. I hope CNA do not invite him again.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

I agree especially the point on he changing his tune if Chee was elected.

Seriously,I can't think of anything original that he had said. I have always thought of him as a lightweight academic; playing it safe and to the gallery! He states the obvious; so much so it is painfully embarrassing and unbecoming of a then assistant professor. He never strikes one as having a strong, independent and creative intellect! His latest put-down of Dr.Chee who lost in the by-election is wholly unremarkable and opportunistic. I bet you he would be singing a different tune of praise if Dr.Chee was elected.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Its actually worse than that. We only see what we get thru local media. He has been regularly giving interviews to Al-Jazeera, the Financial Times, The New York Times, the Voice of America and even the BBC. Can you imagine the damage he does. We locals after a while can tell how good or bad he is but the foreigners have no clue.

CNA always invite either Eugene Tan or Gillian Koh as pro-miw political commentator.

swissbank

Alfrescian
Loyal

and also this retarded brainless Derek Cunha

swissbank

Alfrescian
Loyal

sama sama

brainless and retarded

Attachments

• 400yahoo_SMUseminar.jpg
    400yahoo_SMUseminar.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 322

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Derek is very well regarded and his independence when he was working for the Govt think thank was well known. He will not bend for his bosses.He is also fabulously wealthy but you would not know that as he is very humble and approachable. He runs his own consultancy and has provided research papers and advice to the US congress and the UK and multinationals. We are lucky that he has keen interest in local politics.

The matter with Chaim was self-inflicted. All he did was relate what happened. Read his books.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

https://guanyinmiao.wordpress.com/2014/09/12/eugene-tan-captain-not-obvious/
Eugene Tan: Captain Not-Obvious
POSTED BY GUANYINMIAO ⋅ SEPTEMBER 12, 2014 ⋅ 3 COMMENTS
FILED UNDER EDUCATION, EUGENE TAN, INDRANEE RAJAH, LEE HSIEN LOONG, NATIONAL DAY RALLY, NMP, NTU, NUS, PARLIAMENT, POLITICS, SINGAPORE, SMU, SUTD
We were at the end of my hour-long interview with Associate Professor of Law Mr. Eugene Tan at the Singapore Management University (SMU), and I had one last question. “This might be a little … whimsical”, I pre-empted. He had taken time to meet a random blogger, had been frank throughout our conversation, and offending him was the last thing I wanted.

“One of your online nicknames is ‘Captain Obvious’. How would you respond to that?”

For a moment he seemed perplexed. Jialat liao. For years writers on the Internet have lampooned the former Nominated Member of Parliament (NMP) for having too many articles in the mainstream media, for providing too many quotes on Singapore government and politics. Since the general elections in 2006 he has been the go-to authority for political commentaries. Some figured Mr. Tan was echoing perspectives of the establishment, while others thought he was being unfair to the government. “Captain Obvious” could not please everyone.

Yet with a wry smile he quickly replied: “I get quoted fairly frequently by the international media, and if you are not able to make a useful contribution the likes of ‘Al-Jazeera’, the ‘Financial Times’, ‘The New York Times’, the ‘Voice of America’, as well as the ‘British Broadcasting Corporation’ will not come back to you”. And through these experiences he sees many parallels between his role as an academic and as an NMP. “In both cases I strive to be objective, to be independent, and to speak without fear and favour”, he said. When one takes a very pro-government line, the opinion is read as a repetition of what has been mentioned.

“My philosophy is very simple”, he followed up. Credit and criticisms should be delivered when they are due. “If Singaporeans looked up my parliamentary record in Hansard, they would see that I pulled no punches too”.

Moreover in Singapore, where autonomous universities are funded by the government and taxpayers, he believes that academia should not remain in the ivory tower. “If we can use our training and knowledge to contribute to the public discourse, why not?” Mr. Tan hopes more economists, political scientists, and sociologists will enter the fray. Academics like him might not get credit from their universities for political commentaries, and these undertakings could be career-limiting if the opinions are not well-received by the powers to be. Over the years few have done so, and “[I hope] the fact that I have been able to comment openly and robustly would encourage others to do the same now”.

A Robust Generalist in Parliament

I first met Mr. Tan in November 2010. We were both panellists on the Channel NewsAsia talkshow BlogTV.SG, where we discussed the influence of socio-political websites and whether online users should remain anonymous. I was damn nervous. When we exchanged pleasantries he also mentioned that I had – earlier than year – responded to his TODAY commentary on the growing mobility of Singaporeans. I do not remember much from the 20-odd minutes on air, yet one thing that stuck was Mr. Tan’s remark on echo-chambers. Besides a few credible websites he thought most were filled with unconstructive diatribes and tropes, and the users in these echo-chambers were just feeding off one another’s vitriol.

Four years later this phenomenon persists, and with the polarisation of views and political affiliation on cyberspace echo-chambers are even more ubiquitous.

Likewise, even though he was selected as an NMP in 2012, supported by the tertiary education institutions functional group, Mr. Tan has spoken on a broad range of issues in Parliament. When asked about his favourite speeches, he listed the one against the Population White Paper last year (he expressed “deep reservations”, and eventually abstained from voting), the speech during the debate on the President’s Address this year (he noted rhetorically that his alma mater, Raffles Institution, was “less of a beacon of hope” because of the lack of representativeness), his opposition to the Public Order (Additional Temporary Measures) Bill earlier this year (for it “opens up a range of possible interpretations of the conduct of migrant workers in Singapore”), and the one last year on amendments to the Criminal Law (Temporary Provisions) Act, which allows suspects to be held in custody without trial.

“My own perception … is that elected MPs are more focused on constituency work, because voters are likely to assess them based on difference they have made to the estate, on the ground [vis-à-vis] their positions or performance in Parliament”. Consequently, Mr. Tan said, this is where the NMP – with their singular parliamentary function – comes in, to focus on preparing parliamentary questions and participating actively in debates on Bills and motions. As the highest policymaking platform there will be engagement on a wide variety of issues in Parliament, and because he saw himself as a “generalist” he had to research broadly and adequately so as to ask good questions.

Craftsman-Like Approaches

In response last year, Senior Minister of State for Education Miss Indranee Rajah revealed that one in four faculty members on the tenure track in the National University of Singapore (NUS) and the Nanyang Technological University (NTU) is Singaporean. The figure is one in six in SMU, and one in three in the Singapore University of Technology and Design (SUTD). While SUTD does not have any non-tenure tack faculty members, one in two faculty members in NUS, NTU, as well as SMU is Singaporean.

“Without marginalising or discriminating against the foreign academics”, Mr. Tan continued, this Singaporean core is necessary for greater representation, and to build a critical mass of scholastic expertise. “The universities should be conscious about nurturing local talent … ensuring that there is a Singaporean perspective in different areas of study, especially in areas that are vital to Singapore”, he shared. In that vein the role of the university remains unchanged: to provide a safe space for contrarian ideas, a platform to push research, and a training ground to mould attitudes and skills.

He has also filed parliamentary questions on the salaries of top management in the autonomous universities, asking whether annual compensation packages – which could be in the region of a million dollars a year – “[could be] disproportionate to or outstrips similar peer institutions in North America and Europe”.

And with this attention on the tertiary institutions, he remarked that the changes announced by Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong at the 2014 National Day Rally – to diversify pathways and strengthen applied education in the Institute of Technical Education and the polytechnics – were “long overdue”. The speech will not change attitudes about a degree, in a society which has a “greater love for degrees than a love for learning”. “The presence of a glass ceiling, at least in the public sector, is quite clear for the non-graduates, which undercuts severely at our system of meritocracy … and I hope the public sector will really be serious about this going forward”, he argued.

What Mr. Tan also hopes is for Singaporeans to develop a craftsman-like approach to learning, a commitment to lifelong learning which involves the honing of skills and expertise on a day-to-day basis. Productivity could consequently grow, because “when people apply themselves, knowing that what they do at their job matters, and that how far they will go is determined by their job performance and not their prior qualification, they will not rest on their laurels”, he said. This desire to improve – regardless of your station in life – is important. Society must value and give recognition for that.

Beyond the NMP Stint

“It is probably too soon to reflect on the two-and-a-half-year stint since my term ended on August 8”, Mr. Tan mentioned when I asked if there was a specific issue or cause which he wished he could have spoken more about. Having covered so much ground in Parliament, reflecting on his time as NMP will unsurprisingly take some time.

Reform to the electoral system was nonetheless at the top of his head, and he wished he could have raised more parliamentary questions or even filed an adjournment motion on reducing the marginalising effect of the first-past-the-post voting system on the Opposition. He substantiates: “Notwithstanding our ‘first-past-the-post’ electoral system, it is somewhat incongruent for a party which wins 60 per cent of the popular vote to occupy 93 per cent of the elected seats. The electoral process and outcome clearly can be more representative, and that would enhance the authority, appeal, and legitimacy of our political institutions. Electoral integrity and public confidence, ultimately, matter”.

Seeking approval from anyone, it would appear, has never been a priority for the law professor. “I look back at my time in Parliament without any regrets”. The “Captain Obvious” label hardly bothers him, and it has not changed the way he contributes to socio-political discourse in Singapore rigorously. One might not always agree with Mr. Tan’s perspectives, but he will continue to do more – with his academic training and knowledge – beyond the two-and-a-half years.

And I believe we are all the better for it.

dr.wailing

Alfrescian
Loyal

Has anyone bothered to read Eugene Tan's thesis? What's the quality like?