• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

SMRT CEO Saw Phaik Hwa resigns

captainxerox

Alfrescian
Loyal
old news, and lamb for the slaughter for today's parliament sitting. she said she didn't want to go, but made to go anyway. the next guy heading it is also worried as he cannot solve mrt problems - infrastructure built for 80s population and expected to handle 6 mill people fast, safe and comfortable today.

SINGAPORE: SMRT CEO Saw Phaik Hwa has resigned.

Ms Saw, 57, stepped down as president and CEO of SMRT with immediate effect "to pursue personal interests", said the transport operator in a filing with the Singapore Exchange (SGX) after the market has closed trading for the day.

SMRT, which is listed on the SGX, has appointed 63-year-old Tan Ek Kia, a board director, as interim CEO.

Ms Saw's resignation came amid public anger over two major breakdowns in train services that happened in succession last month that stranded tens of thousands of commuters.

Many of the commuters were trapped in trains stalled underground during the disruption that hit the SMRT network's North-South Line during the evening rush hour. In one of the breakdowns, service was disrupted for seven hours.

Last month's breakdowns were the worst since Singapore's Mass Rapid Transit system was launched in 1987.

SMRT's board of directors, in accepting Ms Saw's offer of resignation, said: "Ms Saw will remain with the Group to assist the relevant investigation teams and the Committee of Inquiry (COI) reviewing the causes of, and responses to, the disruptions to train operations in December, and with the transition to new executive leadership."

Ms Saw said the time was right for the board to look at a new leadership for the organisation and that she will help with the transition.

She said: "I have had the privilege of leading a group of very committed and loyal staff over the last nine years. I feel it is now time for SMRT to bring in new leadership and take the organisation to the next level.

"This is the culmination of a discussion I began with the chairman in early December. I also feel it is important for me to stay on and support the relevant inquiries, and the transition to new leadership. I will also be supporting Ek Kia as he leads the organisation through its transition to a new CEO."

Mr Tan has been a board director of SMRT since July 2009. He is a former managing director of Shell Malaysia Exploration and Production and chairman of Shell North East Asia.

He has diverse experience in engineering and construction, safety, operations and business management. Mr Tan said he would work quickly to ensure the leadership team of SMRT has whatever support they need to ensure the delivery of reliable public transport services to commuters.

Ms Saw has a direct interest of over a million ordinary shares in the transport company valuing at over S$1.9 million.

SMRT share price closed 20 cents higher at S$1.785 on Friday.