• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Smoking

jw5

Loyal
Any smokers here?
My apologies and I have no intention of offending anyone, but I can't understand the obsession with smoking, especially among china nationals.
I was in china recently, and some people even smoked in the lifts.
They would light up after a meal, after a meeting, sometimes during a meeting, during a coffee break, in the queue, at the mall, while surfing the internet, while scratching their balls, etc etc.

What's the purpose of smoking anyway? Is it just an addiction that cannot be stopped? Or is it a social gesture?
Do the smokers realize that they are causing a lot of discomfort to the non smokers who find cigarette smoke very irritating? Or do they simply not care?

Can any smokers please explain or any non smokers care to comment?

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Me neither?, my own mother smoke, my uncle smoke....there are smokers in the family. I even roll cigarettes for my mum, before she discovered Rothman of Pall Mall & Benson & Hedges..even fill up pipes with tobacco for my uncle..empty his pipe..fill hid tobacco pouch...

I have never, ever, touch a cigarette or tobacco in my life..and have always wonders, why people smoke?

liketogossip

Alfrescian
Loyal
Any smokers here?
My apologies and I have no intention of offending anyone, but I can't understand the obsession with smoking, especially among china nationals.
They would light up after a meal, after a meeting, sometimes during a meeting, during a coffee break, in the queue, at the mall, while surfing the internet, while scratching their balls, etc etc.

What's the purpose of smoking anyway? Is it just an addiction that cannot be stopped? Or is it a social gesture?
Do the smokers realize that they are causing a lot of discomfort to the non smokers who find cigarette smoke very irritating? Or do they simply not care?

it depends on situation but i believe u have to try one out urself to actually understand the reason.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... They would light up after a meal ...
饭后一支烟,赛过活神仙 ...

womansmoking_sm.jpg

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sigh, try google next time if you can. There are many effects of tobacco smoking, the good and the bad. What most non-smoker complain about are the bad-effects. Most people have no idea that Nicotine, which is the main component in smoking that causes the addiction has other "benefits" as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotine

Psychoactive effects

Nicotine's mood-altering effects are different by report: in particular it is both a stimulant and a relaxant.[26] First causing a release of glucose from the liver and epinephrine (adrenaline) from the adrenal medulla, it causes stimulation. Users report feelings of relaxation, sharpness, calmness, and alertness.[27] By reducing the appetite and raising the metabolism, some smokers may lose weight as a consequence.[28][29]
When a cigarette is smoked, nicotine-rich blood passes from the lungs to the brain within seven seconds and immediately stimulates the release of many chemical messengers including acetylcholine, norepinephrine, epinephrine, vasopressin, arginine, dopamine, autocrine agents, and beta-endorphin.[30] This release of neurotransmitters and hormones is responsible for most of nicotine's effects. Nicotine appears to enhance concentration[31] and memory due to the increase of acetylcholine. It also appears to enhance alertness due to the increases of acetylcholine and norepinephrine. Arousal is increased by the increase of norepinephrine. Pain is reduced by the increases of acetylcholine and beta-endorphin. Anxiety is reduced by the increase of beta-endorphin. Nicotine also extends the duration of positive effects of dopamine[32] and increases sensitivity in brain reward systems.[33] Most cigarettes (in the smoke inhaled) contain 1 to 3 milligrams of nicotine.[34]
Research suggests that, when smokers wish to achieve a stimulating effect, they take short quick puffs, which produce a low level of blood nicotine.[35] This stimulates nerve transmission. When they wish to relax, they take deep puffs, which produce a high level of blood nicotine, which depresses the passage of nerve impulses, producing a mild sedative effect. At low doses, nicotine potently enhances the actions of norepinephrine and dopamine in the brain, causing a drug effect typical of those of psychostimulants. At higher doses, nicotine enhances the effect of serotonin and opiate activity, producing a calming, pain-killing effect. Nicotine is unique in comparison to most drugs, as its profile changes from stimulant to sedative/pain killer in increasing dosages and use. (Another drug that behaves similarly is ethanol.)
Technically, nicotine is not significantly addictive, as nicotine administered alone does not produce significant reinforcing properties.[36] However, only after coadministration with an MAOI, such as those found in tobacco, nicotine produces significant behavioral sensitization, a measure of addiction potential. This is similar in effect to amphetamine.[37]

A 21 mg patch applied to the left arm
Nicotine gum, usually in 2-mg or 4-mg doses, and nicotine patches are available, as well as smokeless tobacco which do not have all the other ingredients in smoked tobacco.

The released of many other chemicals from the brain due to nicotine could be some of the reasons why smokers smoke. beta-endorphines are related to creativity, concentration and as a painkiller as well. On the subject of painkillers, all painkillers, including panadol has long-term side effects. Smoking just makes it look cool and easily available in all convenience store 24/7. If parents knew about this, they would have encouraged their child to smoke during exams. :biggrin: Dopamine, is also a feel good chemical, that is released during sex, that is also why you see people having a smoke after sex as well. your blood sugar level also increases after a smoke, this abate hunger and can be used as weight lost program. Example, in Korea, the mei meis there actually just smoke and eat kim chi to reduce their weight. However, having a higher blood sugar level can contribute to high blood pressure and its associated diseases. Its a double edge sword so to speak. Smoke or no smoke, it up to you, I just wish more people are more informed then the negative image it portrays. There is also the social aspects of it as well. But I suppose that would be another post if you are interested.

Sperminator

Alfrescian
Loyal
Any smokers here?

In China there are at least 400 Million active smokers, meaning smoking 1 packet of cigarettes a day.

Cigarettes can be as cheap as RMB 3 to 5 (super low quality, like smoking grass)

Better ones, from RMB 7 and above to RMB 18

Premium ones from RMB 20 to RMB 200 or more (most expensive Xiao Xiong Mao, for Deng Xiao Ping)

Smoking is a social status symbol in China... for the bosses, they usually smoke ZHONG HUA, which cost about RMB 40 to RMB 55 per pack... and usually given out as gifts...

If you smoke the cheap skate range, the people will KNOW that you are a poor man.

When you smoke Marlboro, they will instantly know that you're either from HK, SGP, or Taiwan... because not too many Chinese smoke Marlboro.

In China, you can SMOKE ANYWHERE!!!, except for KFC, MacDonalds, Pizza Hut, and some places which states that it's non-smoking... but even so, I remembered that I was having by Brother's Wedding Dinner at Shanghai, and there was a non-SMOKING sign right in front of me, but when I light it out, my mother pointed at the sign, but I told her, Mom, it's CHINA!

So... to answer your above question;

The government is making at least RMB 200 Million of tax money DAILY!!!!

There are no regulations on curbing smoking!!!

You CAN SMOKE ANYWHERE in CHINA!!!

So, for Smokers, its a Smokers Haven...

Too Bad for non-smokers.

So, I just want to tell jw5 that, Welcome to China, This is CHINA! or WTC, TIC! :cool:

commoner

Alfrescian
Loyal
i used to smoke,,,,,

why?

it started in NS, many started smoking then, i was one of them. smoke to chase away mosquitoes, smoke to feel a little warmer after river crossing, smoke because we are comrades in arms or smoke when we were up in the mountains of tai-nan, smoke because don't know whatelse to do.

it became a habit, smoke to think, smoke to relax, smoke to entertain, smoke because i can.....

until heart attack,,, doctor says better stop smoking,,, and i stopped

jimmyfallon

Alfrescian
Loyal
Any smokers here?

They are feeble minded and need to rely on a mind altering foreign substance

RK85

Alfrescian
Loyal
Try it to find out. U will feel sick the 1st few sticks. But after few sticks, it starts to feel like heaven.
Smoke after lunch, after sex, during work breaks. It relaxes you, relieves your stress.
I used to smoke 10 a day for more than 10 yrs but now stopped. Now only smoke when ppl offer me one which is seldom or during drinking sessions with my army buddies which is about once every few months. U can stop anytime u want if u got the willpower. I got no problem with the addiction. I smoke when I feel like it & stop anytime I want.

SneeringTree

Alfrescian
Loyal
Try it to find out. U will feel sick the 1st few sticks. But after few sticks, it starts to feel like heaven.
Smoke after lunch, after sex, during work breaks. It relaxes you, relieves your stress.
I used to smoke 10 a day for more than 10 yrs but now stopped. Now only smoke when ppl offer me one which is seldom or during drinking sessions with my army buddies which is about once every few months. U can stop anytime u want if u got the willpower. I got no problem with the addiction. I smoke when I feel like it & stop anytime I want.

Not many smokers can be like you. I'd imagine even for you, if there comes a point in your life when you are extremely stressed, you will pick up smoking again on a regular (and addictive) basis.

RK85

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dun think I will start again on a regular basis. The reason I stopped is bcoz of the ridiculous prices & high tax in SGP. I have stopped for 3 yrs now & so far did not feel the urge to smoke even when under extreme stress a few occasions during course of work sometimes.

Kid278

Alfrescian
Loyal
Any smokers here?

I am a smoker and a chained one too. It's not an obsession, it's just a habit and with it an addiction to nicotine. The addiction can be stopped but habits die-hard.

Honestly I dont know how irritating tobacco smoke is to non smokers. But just because smokers are already a minority and with banning here and there we are already pushed to a corner, isnt that enough. It's a free world, I believe smokers do deserves the rights to that freedom too.

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I used to smoke too until I got some teeth problems ( could be unrelated to smoking but found an excuse to stop it )

for last few years really seldom smoke, actually no cig for almost a year already.

anyway I used to smoke marlboro menthol only. marlboro red taste awful. the other brands, I just don't like.

SneeringTree

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dun think I will start again on a regular basis. The reason I stopped is bcoz of the ridiculous prices & high tax in SGP. I have stopped for 3 yrs now & so far did not feel the urge to smoke even when under extreme stress a few occasions during course of work sometimes.

Good for you then! You are truly the exception to the rule.

Baimi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
During school days many of my childhood friends trying smoking,
Smoking makes us feel 'sacrh qi' in front of friends.
Many of them get hooked but not me, don't feel any thing smoking
and i kept spitting after smoking, never tried after just few sticks,
never a smoker all my life.
I hate cigarettes, it took my father's life.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/x31POsdGGMY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/x31POsdGGMY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Ah Hai

Alfrescian
Loyal
A video higlighting how the revolutionary Gamucci Electronic Cigarette / E-cigarette / E-Cig works. Available in the UK and througout Europe.

<param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/E18jmMNUBdM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/E18jmMNUBdM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="625" height="344"></embed></object>