• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Sinktel Sell Phone Nos. Illeegally?

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR>Stop companies from getting access to unlisted phone numbers
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->I WAS taken back when I received a call from a real estate agent recently at my residential phone number (which is an unlisted number from SingTel). The agent was scouting around for a unit to sell.
When I asked how she managed to get my unlisted number, she said her company had a software with which they were able to retrieve the number. I have not provided my home numbers to any external parties except my children's school. A software to extract telco customers' details? This is something really new.
I believe this may not be the first instance of an unlisted number being retrieved by a private organisation for soliciting purposes.
If there is really such a software, then what security measures are there to protect the interest of owners whose details are registered with the telco?
Lynn Lee (Ms)

angie II

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

There is such a software & even private companies are selling them. Doesn't come cheap, pple in real estate & sales need them.

ahleebabasingaporethief

Alfrescian
Loyal
So all private numbers, landlines or handphones, are now rendered useless?

So whats the point of paying telcos $5 a month for number to be private?

What's the name of this software and where can I download it for free?

Big Brother

Alfrescian
Loyal
There are a range of possibilities how the unlisted tel # (and even listed tel # ) can be obtained.

Some of the possible avenues where you supply your personal details, including phone # are:
> contest forms which you fill up for at supermarkets/point of sales
> employment data with job placement companies
> insurance
> rental or sale of your home/flats

And 3rd party database companies buy all these info and sell these secret database info to their marketing companies' clients. My friend works for one of these marketing companies, and with any mobile phone/land phone # he is able to search his database for address, names etc...

So next time do be careful becos any info that you unknowingly provide could be use as a marketing tool.