• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Sinkies too focused on PMET jobs says economics professor

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I agree on this..most PMET only know how to e.g. do presentations, use MS office, chit chat msn, do bit of proj mgt, bring laptop here n there machiam damn happening. But in actual fact carpenters, electrician, plumbers are of higher value and skillset then PMET

there are some pmet roles that cannot be readily substituted by skilled labor. for example, the plumbing role that dr. yoni shakyalingam performs on my rectum can never be replaced by the jaw-dropping skills of my neighborhood plumber, ms. kwa kar chng. :o

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
if it pays SGD$3,000.00 per month for dishwashers (8hrs per day job) like some arsehole proclaimed, you'd thought there would be no takers?

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
there are some pmet roles that cannot be readily substituted by skilled labor. for example, the plumbing role that dr. yoni shakyalingam performs on my rectum can never be replaced by the jaw-dropping skills of my neighborhood plumber, ms. kwa kar chng. :o

OK, I meant to say most pmet, those doing dry office work kind. As for your kar chng dr skill I am really not sure how hard or easy it is to do plumping work on your rectum. Have to ojt with dr yoni then know. :smile:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
OK, I meant to say most pmet, those doing dry office work kind. As for your kar chng dr skill I am really not sure how hard or easy it is to do plumping work on your rectum. Have to ojt with dr yoni then know. :smile:

unfortunately, cannot share field report. very sensitive and cheem. dr. shakyalingam uses expensive colonoscope while ms. kwa kar chng uses pvc pipes. :eek:

yes, agree with you on those white collar office jobs in sg. a lot of chobolan. in fact, it should be classified as a new category of the pmet class: chobolanal, only in sg. the pmet acronym should also be re-ordered to "temp", starting with technicians and ending with prostitutes. in sg, the "temp" role is only a temp role....very soon to be replaced with cheaper alternatives from neighboring cuntries. :biggrin:

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think she has got a point. The PAP doesnt only have no foresight, it cannot change its paradigm. The populace too has to change its paradigm and perception of blue collar jobs. This perception had to do with being ingrained in our grandparents/parents generation, the early immigrants who came over from China. In China in those days, being a mandarin scholar - a zhuang yuan - after passing the Imperial Exams was the highest order and achievement, hence today's parents still push their children very hard to pass all kinds of exams. The govt can change this, and should have embarked upon it. The tertiary education system for example can be changed to give more weight to practicum, hands-on lessons, field exercises, for courses like engineering esp civil,electrical, and mechanical. How many engineers e.g. knows the electrical code, home wiring and installation, or basic joinery/carpentry/masonry work? Most wld not know unless it is some form of hobby. I recall that the early Engineering degree courses started from U of Singapore had only very short and disorganised workshop classes in welding, lathework, and even basic hand filing a piece of quality work. More shld be done to merge the boundaries betw ITE/Poly/Degree courses for a field like Engineering. Another suggestion is to award professional qualifications to ITE/Poly grads after two or so years in practice.

Last edited:

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think she has got a point. .
If all of LKY servants go on leave for 1 day, he will die and his son would not be too far off. These cheebyes are silvesrspooners. The Japanese see bey dulan they did not cut this kuay bye called LKY into small pieces during WWII.

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal
If peesai does a 40 hours a week and good survival pay for blue collar type jobs, there will be takers. How does one manage a family if his or her working hours takes up most of their lives and can't pay the basic bills.

Last edited:

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Chobolan like pappies. Their dogs n civil serpants?

unfortunately, cannot share field report. very sensitive and cheem. dr. shakyalingam uses expensive colonoscope while ms. kwa kar chng uses pvc pipes. :eek:

yes, agree with you on those white collar office jobs in sg. a lot of chobolan. in fact, it should be classified as a new category of the pmet class: chobolanal, only in sg. the pmet acronym should also be re-ordered to "temp", starting with technicians and ending with prostitutes. in sg, the "temp" role is only a temp role....very soon to be replaced with cheaper alternatives from neighboring cuntries. :biggrin:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Indeed, in Aussieland, the garbage collector don't even have to touch the bins at all. He just comes along in his truck and there is an automated rubbish collector that lift the bins straight into the truck! Plus, they are paid more then most "professional" I'm told, one of them even became the state premier a while back.

Yes, my observations too. In the 1st world countries, no need for FT to drive buses, clear rubbish, construction workers etc. Decent salaries is the panacea.

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have worked in Oz and Canada, blue collar jobs and those deemed dirty and tough are very respected. You can live next door to a rubbish collector and be good friends. people have mutual respect for one another regardless of their jobs. In fact i find these workers have more better attitude that those office type workers.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have worked in Oz and Canada, blue collar jobs and those deemed dirty and tough are very respected. You can live next door to a rubbish collector and be good friends. people have mutual respect for one another regardless of their jobs. In fact i find these workers have more better attitude that those office type workers.

they mechanize and automate collection, recycling and waste disposal. some cities even require residents to participate in pre-sorting of recyclables and refuse into correct bins. for those with yards, an extra yard bin is added for leaves, yard waste and wood. the recycling plant in the area where i live is fully automated with minimal headcount to ensure conveyor belts and sorters are working, and to look out for strange anomalies. and their uniforms are smart and respectful.

nirvarq

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
its not about foresight or backside its a small country so when we do well, majority are well educated esp younger gen. Ask the Original writer to go wash dishes she want ? TCSS only......

Its all about pay, Swiss cleaner gets like 3~4k a month. Who needs FT. Humans are greedy if Government cater to only the needs of MNC & GLC the rest are fcuked !

Yes all the rich becomes richer, properties soars ! But the poor becomes poorer.

But ! They forgot the majority of the voters are the common civilians.

And... it's to late to U-Turn last 2 BE shows...
BUT.. they still think that SG won't dare to try it in GE 2016...

blissquek

Alfrescian
Loyal
What to do? During CNY, relatives ask what do u work as. If you work in 7 Eleven, there will be an air of awkward silence. :biggrin:

BUt, But..during chinese new year, he gives me a bigger ang-pow....some 50% of his month pay..in contrast to the other son...a professional ...with a snoobish wife gave us what..??? A cold shoulder and hurriedly leave after a short and terse greetings...

I love the youngest son, the 7-Eleven son ..eleven times more...

Simbian

Alfrescian
Loyal
I find it amusing that this professor has not gone on to do the natural thing and comment on the stagnant and low wages of our Singaporean blue collar workers which provides a huge incentive for parents and their kids to work hard to avoid that trap.

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
he is absolutely correct, sporeans all want to be execs.

its very weird and scary even.
Its tied to salary. If one day all secretaries pay as low as dish washers, their social status will drop to that level too.

I'm beginning to sense a slight change in society's perception to white collar jobs. More Young people now know that many white collar workers can be retrenched and be jobless for a long time.

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal
I find it amusing that this professor has not gone on to do the natural thing and comment on the stagnant and low wages of our Singaporean blue collar workers which provides a huge incentive for parents and their kids to work hard to avoid that trap.

The "trap" in peesai is manufactured by the pappies. If you work hard and study hard and get a PHD, yes in peesai you are up there. But these same people will be in for a rude shock overseas in Canada,NZ or OZ. Supply and demand is practiced in these cuntries. Once things get worst in peesai, you'll see more PHD taxi drivers.
Even if 50 percent of sinkees get Masters or PHds, will there be jobs for them that suit thir education in peesai? Someone still needs to take out the trash and drive taxis. But the downgrade in salary from a degree holder to a cook or garbage collector is drastic in peesai and will probably see more suicides in the future. Not so much in western cuntries as blue collar jobs are on par with white collar ones in terms of wages or even higher. A cook in OZ can earn as much as 70k a year, even after taxes it's still comparable to office worker type jobs. Office worker in peesai gets retrenched will die working as a cook in peesai.

Troll

Alfrescian
Loyal
The economy place different price tag on differing kind of skill set. In Singapore, most blue collar jobs can been so easily imported, the practically infinite supply of cheap foreign works in the past meant that most blue collar jobs will not pay well.

People aspire to take up jobs which pay well, doesn't matter whether it is white or blue collar. With our high cost of living, who would take a blue collar job if the pay is low? If they pay 5k per month for a garbage truck driver tomorrow, I tell you hordes of people will apply for the job.

It's a demand and supply thing, and just so happen that white collar jobs pays better relative to the efforts expended.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In other developed Anglo-Saxon countries, low skilled workers like rubbish collectors can earn a fairly decent wage. There is no shame at all in doing those jobs.

In Singapore, if you take these jobs, your wages will be so low that you won't be able to afford a house, much less provide for your family's needs.

That's the difference between Singapore and other developed Anglo-Saxon countries.

Rather than decrying the fact that Singaporeans shun certain jobs, we should focus on raising lower income wages.

I have been in Toronto for about 30 years, and the following examples will support your comments:

1. First class police constables in Toronto earn about Cdn $80,000 a year, excluding overtime pay

2. Toronto Transit Commission bus drivers and subway operators start at about Cdn $23 an hour, and within 2 years they will earn about $26 to $29 an hour, with a very good pension and benefits package

3. Garbage truck drivers / collectors earn about Cdn $60,000 a year

4. School teachers earn about Cdn $80,000 a year, with one of the best pension plan in the country

5. Plumbers and other skilled tradesmen earn between $35 to $60 an hour, before overtime pay

6. Nurses earn between $30 to $42 an hour