• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singapore's old order ready for fall, says candidate Tan Jee Say

Cosmos10

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
(24 Mar) – Encouraged by recent electoral gains, opposition candidate Tan Jee Say believes the ruling party’s long-held grip on government could come to an end in Singapore’s next general election.

The former senior civil servant, who ran unsuccessfully in the election two years ago, intends to take part in the poll expected to be held in 2016, and believes the opposition is ready to run the city state.

“I will be contesting in the general election. It is a possibility for the opposition to take over the government in 2016,” he said on a recent visit to Hong Kong.

Very much a product of the ruling People’s Action Party’s (PAP), which has been Singapore’s ruling party since 1959, Tan appears an unlikely opposition candidate.

From 1985 to 1990, he was the principal private secretary to then Singapore Deputy Prime Minister Goh Chok Tong, who was prime minister from November 1990 to August 2004. From 1979 to 1985, Tan was a civil servant in Singapore’s Ministry of Trade and Industry. From 1973 to 1976, he studied politics, philosophy and economics at Oxford University on a Singaporean government scholarship.

“I am grateful to the government for giving me a scholarship and career, but gratitude is not servitude. It doesn’t mean blind loyalty,” said Tan, who worked for financial institutions like Standard Chartered Bank after leaving public service.

For the upcoming general election in 2016, Tan said: “I will probably join a broad-based political party that will cater to the interests of the widest section of people.”

The Workers’ Party is the biggest opposition party in Singapore’s Parliament, with nine seats out of 99, while the PAP holds 80 seats. Tan declined to say if he would join the Workers’ Party or return to the Singapore Democratic Party (SDP), where he unsuccessfully ran as a candidate in the general election in May 2011. Two months later, Tan left the SDP to contest unsuccessfully in the country’s presidential election in August 2011.

If the PAP failed to win a parliamentary majority in the next election, one possible scenario was a coalition of opposition parties forming a new government, he said. “The opposition today is more ready than the PAP in 1959 to form a government.”

Although a civil servant for many years, Tan said he had disagreed with some of the government’s policies.

More in: http://www.scmp.com/news/asia/artic...d-order-ready-fall-says-candidate-tan-jee-say

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The timing is right to take down the Leegime with all available means. Are not sick of seeing LBW or Khaw on TV talking crap in your face? Eliminate the fake scholars of Leegime and reinstate Merdeka in Singapore.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Judging by the negative sentiments stirred up by his participation in the PE2011 and demonised as a votes splitter, I think his following and support will be greatly reduced. Although I initially was impressed with his background and credentials, later I began to think that he has too big a mouth, letting his ego and his boasts precede his performance and results. His negative image probably acquired due to his self-conceit and not stepping aside to avoid splitting the PE vote to TCB who was regarded as the greater good.

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
TJS can either become an asset to the opposition or another Desmond Lim with less than 0.2 percent. If he tries to split votes, we will split him. Desmond Lim is finished and if TJS wants to be finished, he is welcomed.

Last edited:

Hawkeye1819

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
TJS must be extremely deluded if he thinks that the general population wants a change in government. Making ego-filled declarations with nothing to show for it is his trademark.

Sooner or later voters will come to realize that he is full of hot air but no substance.

andyfisher

Alfrescian
Loyal
And you know this how?

I feel we shld let jee say have his say.

I take heart that at least one gahment flunky wake up his idea and walk away from the dark side.
we shld encourage this.

TJS must be extremely deluded if he thinks that the general population wants a change in government. Making ego-filled declarations with nothing to show for it is his trademark.

Sooner or later voters will come to realize that he is full of hot air but no substance.

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal

He's not deluded, but likely took orders from his pap handlers to start scaring sinkies about possibility of freak election results in 2016.

The best strategy is for opposition to gain 1/3 of parliament, and not to topple pap in 2016. This will give the strongest opposition party enough time to take over in 2021.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The best strategy is for opposition to gain 1/3 of parliament, and not to topple pap in 2016. This will give the strongest opposition party enough time to take over in 2021.

Why so conservative?

If enough people vote opposition in 2016, we'd be looking at overthrowing the PAP with an opposition coalition govt. That's what TJS was alluding to. Why allow Sinkies be screwed for another 5 more years?

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why so conservative?

If enough people vote opposition in 2016, we'd be looking at overthrowing the PAP with an opposition coalition govt. That's what TJS was alluding to. Why allow Sinkies be screwed for another 5 more years?
Everything takes time. Even people like CSM needs a few more years to establish his Credentials with grassroosts, civil servants and residents. There are only seven opposition MPs in parliament today, can't even form a proper shadow cabinet. In 2016 the new batch of opposition MPs will need a few years as back benchers first for the population to be comfortable with them before they can be included for consideration as cabinet ministers in 2021.

Sinkies are too used to parachuted ministers from pap that even opposition voters think that opposition MPs can be ministers upon first election win. I say we should demand that ministers can only be appointed after they have served as ordinary MPs for at least a term to know the ground and workings of parliament well enough.

I'm sick of parachuted novice ministers who screws up policies.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Judging by the negative sentiments stirred up by his participation in the PE2011 and demonised as a votes splitter, I think his following and support will be greatly reduced. Although I initially was impressed with his background and credentials, later I began to think that he has too big a mouth, letting his ego and his boasts precede his performance and results. His negative image probably acquired due to his self-conceit and not stepping aside to avoid splitting the PE vote to TCB who was regarded as the greater good.

Indeed. Chen Show Maxo is a better scholar thna he is--taking a non government scholarship--and the Rhodes Scholarship is so much better. and CSM never boasted about his credentials while this guy has

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No...Singapore is not ready for wp govt, not yet. Even Ltk acknowledge that. Their results fr running aljunied will be their cv come 2016. Important now to gather sufficient candidates that can rapport with the voters...start now.

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is a simple way to resolve all this. Just vote in TJS into parliament as a backbencher in 2016, and then sit back and watch what he says and does. I have no problem with him being a backbencher, and there's no harm if he doesn't perform. Vote him out in the next cycle. Nothing that any of us says is really important compared to that.

andyfisher

Alfrescian
Loyal
Exactly, I hope tjs joins a political party and proves himself in 2016.

There is a simple way to resolve all this. Just vote in TJS into parliament as a backbencher in 2016, and then sit back and watch what he says and does. I have no problem with him being a backbencher, and there's no harm if he doesn't perform. Vote him out in the next cycle. Nothing that any of us says is really important compared to that.

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal

Agreed! TJS should return to SDP. Both deserve each other.

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
How I wish what he say is true..but its highly improbable. Oppos will be lucky to deny PAP 2/3 majority.

He's a deluded fool. Just like those who said KJ would not merely retain his deposit but get in excess of 20% of the vote in the PEBE because minorities would vote for him. The 1.2% KJ got demonstrated the scale of their stupidity.