• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singaporeans should speak Singlish

iFARKurMADER

Alfrescian
Loyal
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0nFEaALpiAE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Singaporeans should speak Singlish

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is one confused chap. The issue is not accent but use of proper English and not pidgin English. A frenchman, the Dutch and other nationalities can speak good English except for the distinct accent.

There many Singaporeans who speak first rate English but they will never be mistaken for an Englishman or an American. Fellow Singaporeans will know that he is a Singaporean.

Truly a bluefuck with a longwinded video and got it all wrong.

Only a rare few would slang but we laugh at it

Last edited:

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is one confused chap. The issue is not accent but use of proper English and not pidgin English. A frenchman, the Dutch and other nationalities can speak good English except for the distinct extent.

There many Singaporeans who speak first rate English but they will never be mistaken for an Englishman or an American. Fellow Singaporeans will know that he is a Singaporean.

Truly a bluefuck with a longwinded video and got it all wrong.

Only a rare few would slang but we laugh at it

I agree, that speaking proper English, with or without an accent, is important to be understood by others.
With respect to those who "champion" the cause for "Singlish", may I suggest that with globalization and frequent travel, it is important to speak proper English with a neutral accent.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I recall a study years ago which found that Canadians followed by Singaporeans spoke English close to a neutral accent.

I agree, that speaking proper English, with or without an accent, is important to be understood by others.
With respect to those who "champion" the cause for "Singlish", may I suggest that with globalization and frequent travel, it is important to speak proper English with a neutral accent.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I recall a study years ago which found that Canadians followed by Singaporeans spoke English close to a neutral accent.

The "true blue" (Caucasians, mostly Anglo) Canadians speak with a neutral accent, but usually end with an "eh"
However, not all of the other newer immigrants speak with a neutral accent.
Most of the bilingual (as in the Official Languages, of English and French) Canadians are Francophones.
But there are numerous Canadians who speak 2 or more languages, because they usually go to Saturday schools to learn their mother tongue.
Our children also attend Saturday school from 0900 to 1300 hours, to learn the language of their mother (my spouse).
Unfortunately, to try to enrol them to learn Mandarin, may be a little too much, as they will not have much recreation or free time on the weekends.

iFARKurMADER

Alfrescian
Loyal
actually, there is a "singapore" accent. just that we all think it is "neutral". when you ask americans if they have an accent, they deny it too, likewise for the brits.

if you travel enough, you would know imperfect english, except when drafting political contracts, is actually more fun to listen to and speak to

that guy is angry because he can afford to be angry in front of the camera; following the script of the movie