• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singaporeans Please Speak Up!!!

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
It just puzzles me why in an online forum where most people use nicks and therefore remain anonymous, the comments are guarded, sensitive opinions are usually kept to oneself, questions are reserved and views are politically correct.

I am not asking for people to be abusive, pass inappropriate comments, say things without reason or foundation, or indulge in inflammatory and incendiary activities.

I concede that in the open, we tend to be guarded maybe because of our history, the need to follow order and to get on with life. Ever heard a Singaporean say something negative when interviewed on the street? I however cannot fathom the same in an anon forum like this.

Naturally I am not talking about a select few (or select many) that have no qualms about blaming everything on the PAP and anything that does not look like their kinfolk but the vast majority of Singaporeans who tend to hold their counsel and their concerns to themselves.

Take the first step here and ask a sensitive and appropriate question that puzzled you for the longest.

The other trait that I noticed is the need to be popular even in an (wait for it) anon forum like this. The desire to be accepted is a human trait and no doubt about it. Peer group pressure allow us to be intimidated by keeping silent on issues that we know or believe are wrong. Something that I noted in the previous forum where if a Minister said or did the right thing, any positive comment places you in a precarious spot on the social ladder. So don't go into a chatroom and end being a mormon who does not believe in polygamy.

Once again, remind yourselves that this is anon forum for the vast majority. Feel free to comment, express your views without fear and ask questions to seek answers. Do everything in a responsible manner. Allowance is always there for cranky and eccentric days as no one is perfect.

Most of all, have fun, get a backbone and don't be afraid to stand in front. There is also no need to do something silly just to prove courage.

Enjoy and cheers.

Last edited:

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
... Enjoy and cheers ...

honestly, i don't see a problem using my real name online, for i reckoned that folks would think it's just another moniker anyway... but i thought it was really stupid of me to post my IC # in the old Delphi 2 years back but heck :biggrin:

over the last 2 years, i find it pretty amusing to engage trolls, and i must admit that i've learned a lot from them, not the trolling antics but i mean the content and engagement is so valuable to me, and i've learned to be more patient and to be tolerant of different views that may be present.

there's definitely still room for improvement for me, and i'll try not to be a (i quote the term given by bro Sed) "post-whore" :p

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Most people don't dare to speak up in public. But there are some dare to speak up but the Media in Singapore will not show it in newspaper or TV news.
Just how many people nowdays believe the news in newspaper,radio or TV. Just ask people around you.

zack123

Alfrescian
Loyal
The media has always been used by politicians as a tool which is not unique to Singapore. However with the advent of the internet, there are more avenues for the citizen to voice out albeit mostly via a cloak of anonymity.

However I believe that there are many open avenues which can be used to voice out their feelings one of which is the seldom used People Corner (or what i think it is called) which failed miserably. Reason being? Singaporeans are too busy with their life to have time for such activities. Even then, we need to have consistent orators who uses these facilities in order to garner more interest.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
... Most people don't dare to speak up in public ...

a fairly large number of folks can't even hold a decent conversation for 30 minutes, and you're asking them to speak up in public? do they even think coherently in the first place? :confused:

NgEjay

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
there's definitely still room for improvement for me, and i'll try not to be a (i quote the term given by bro Sed) "post-whore" :p

Dear zhihau,

Actually you're one of the more pleasant personalities to engage in a forum :biggrin:

As for being a post-whore, we all go through that stage. I've been there and done that. My previous nick Kaixin1 had a few thousand posts in several months.

I accidentally posted my NRIC and address online once. Fortunately the PAP brigade failed to spot it (or else we would have seen blogs done on it by now).

As for folks who cannot hold a decent conversation, maybe it's because they have not had the chance to talk about things they like? I couldn't hold a decent conversation on say, pottery.

E-Jay

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It just puzzles me why in an online forum where most people use nicks and therefore remain anonymous, the comments are guarded, sensitive opinions are usually kept to oneself, questions are reserved and views are politically correct.

I am not asking for people to be abusive, pass inappropriate comments, say things without reason or foundation, or indulge in inflammatory and incendiary activities.

I concede that in the open, we tend to be guarded maybe because of our history, the need to follow order and to get on with life. Ever heard a Singaporean say something negative when interviewed on the street? I however cannot fathom the same in an anon forum like this.

Naturally I am not talking about a select few (or select many) that have no qualms about blaming everything on the PAP and anything that does not look like their kinfolk but the vast majority of Singaporeans who tend to hold their counsel and their concerns to themselves.

Take the first step here and ask a sensitive and appropriate question that puzzled you for the longest.

The other trait that I noticed is the need to be popular even in an (wait for it) anon forum like this. The desire to be accepted is a human trait and no doubt about it. Peer group pressure allow us to be intimidated by keeping silent on issues that we know or believe are wrong. Something that I noted in the previous forum where if a Minister said or did the right thing, any positive comment places you in a precarious spot on the social ladder. So don't go into a chatroom and end being a mormon who does not believe in polygamy.

Once again, remind yourselves that this is anon forum for the vast majority. Feel free to comment, express your views without fear and ask questions to seek answers. Do everything in a responsible manner. Allowance is always there for cranky and eccentric days as no one is perfect.

Most of all, have fun, get a backbone and don't be afraid to stand in front. There is also no need to do something silly just to prove courage.

Enjoy and cheers.

Excuse me do u know what sam wants in this new forum????

WHy are the pts and infraction system in place?

Obviously we need some guinea pigs to test the waters to see how far they can get away with non PC statements and opinions and see if they get infractions or the forum's support then more ppl would step up to the mantle.

It's just human nature, we always need to see some brave souls to show the way before it can inspire the rest, although in sinkees case they need much more inspiration. :biggrin:

jw5

Loyal
scroobal
So what is the sensitive and appropriate question that you want to ask? :smile:
May I remind you that besides being afraid to speak up frankly, Singaporeans are also known for passing comments and criticisms of others who are not in positions of authority.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
We only know to kpkb only lol
jw5 said:
...besides being afraid to speak up frankly, Singaporeans are also known for passing comments and criticisms of others who are not in positions of authority.
We are known to be a complaining lot. Look no further than ST forum (and maybe here too). So we DO speak up, in a sense:rolleyes:
Ah Guan said:
Anonymity is part of internet culture ... Don't bother fighting it.
Isn't it ironic, that the cloak of anonymity allows more us to be more outspoken?:wink:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
We are known to be a complaining lot. Look no further than ST forum (and maybe here too). So we DO speak up, in a sense:rolleyes:

Isn't it ironic, that the cloak of anonymity allows more us to be more outspoken?:wink:

We complain about trivia - people eating in trains, policeman sleeping in carpark, why immigration did check my father's passport etc

We never ask if there is a conflict of interest with Ho Ching managing Temasek while here husband held on to MOF.

We never asked why town councils are paying partly for hoardings, banners and posters some of which are huge and lighted with floodlights depicting PAP MPs during the runup to National Day.

We never asked why Singapore Power handed vouchers for the needy to PAP MPs but not to oppostion MPs.

We never asked if FT recruited sports talent program is working and is there a need to seek an independent review.

We never asked what is the actual return that MAS gets once they CPF funds are handed to them.

Other than that we complain about dogs in parks, paying maid levy, and you know what else.

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
We never ask if there is a conflict of interest with Ho Ching managing Temasek while here husband held on to MOF.

We never asked why town councils are paying partly for hoardings, banners and posters some of which are huge and lighted with floodlights depicting PAP MPs during the runup to National Day.

We never asked why Singapore Power handed vouchers for the needy to PAP MPs but not to oppostion MPs.

We never asked if FT recruited sports talent program is working and is there a need to seek an independent review.

We never asked what is the actual return that MAS gets once they CPF funds are handed to them.

Other than that we complain about dogs in parks, paying maid levy, and you know what else.

Fat hope.

These kind of emails go directly from Inbox to Thrashbin.

Q

Qinhuang

scroobal,

i agree with u that singaporeans should speak up against bad policies and other things that affect singaporean livelihood.

We should encourage the PAP MPs (at least 79 of them, factoring out the father , the son and holy goh)to speak up at the parliament and not ask questions

If these PAP MPs pretend to toe the line becos of money or the existence of Old fart, keeping quiet at the parliament, the common man speaking up in the streets may not make a difference.

Hopefully when old fart passes away this year, the debate at the parliament will be more intense, and perhaps, speaking up from the common men may hold water.

Meanwhile, the PAP people are only interested to tell people about LKY's history ad nauseam

no_faith

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
as u can see democratic might be known to ppl outside but inside.....

everyone can speak up but it is not going to change anything.

Lorong18

Dear zhihau,

Actually you're one of the more pleasant personalities to engage in a forum :biggrin:

As for being a post-whore, we all go through that stage. I've been there and done that. My previous nick Kaixin1 had a few thousand posts in several months.

I accidentally posted my NRIC and address online once. Fortunately the PAP brigade failed to spot it (or else we would have seen blogs done on it by now).

As for folks who cannot hold a decent conversation, maybe it's because they have not had the chance to talk about things they like? I couldn't hold a decent conversation on say, pottery.

E-Jay

Bro, have you retired totally from cheonging Geylang

I still cheong but not as often, partly because getting older, partly because save money

Also PRC freelancers killing all the legalised OKT