• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singaporeans are like salmon

88max

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mon, Aug 11, 2008
my paper

Singaporeans are like salmon

A RECENT forum discussion headed by the People's Association Youth Movement zoomed in on the perennial problem of brain drain in Singapore.

In many cases, it starts when Singaporean youths go abroad to study.

Instead of behaving like salmon that swim back to their natal stream, many Singaporeans emulate birds who leave their nests, never to return.

Although many of my friends have left Singapore to pursue overseas studies, many more have stayed behind for a local education, which they thoroughly enjoy.

I've found, from talking to my friends, that the brain drain isn't happening just because Singaporeans find greener pastures abroad.

Rather, it's because different individuals want to experience different things in life.

Those who went overseas aren't queuing up for residential status at their respective countries of study, and my locally-educated friends aren't rushing to transfer to foreign schools.

Instead, both groups relish their immensely different environments.

A friend studying in the United States appreciates the change in scenery and the wide variety of activities and classes - limited only by his imagination - that are readily available.

His classes range from astrophysics to an orchestral conducting course, and he has already signed up for evolutionary biology and literary criticism in the next semester.

He slots in frisbee-throwing sessions and lazing around fields between and after classes as well.

He tells me about regular weekend frat parties and spontaneous ski trips too.

Other friends studying in Britain and Australia also appreciate the chance to be more vocal in class.

Over there, it is normal to express opinions that are contrary to what is being taught. Students are encouraged to engage professors in back-and-forth banter.

Meanwhile, those studying at home also provide positive feedback.

They fully appreciate the rigorous syllabus, which is on par with those offered at many renowned foreign universities.

They do not hold the notion that a local degree is inferior to a foreign one, and they confirm that local universities also provide a high quality of education.

More importantly, many friends cite their familiarity with the local environment as the main reason for choosing to continue their education here.

They prefer to focus on their studies without having to worry about fitting into another culture or speaking an unfamiliar language.

Many have also found it hard to leave their family and circle of friends, who form a crucial part of their support system.

In the end, both groups of friends agree on one thing: They want to stay with their loved ones in Singapore.

Give them some time, and I'm sure that Singaporeans abroad will realise that they're more like salmon than flighty birds.

88max

Alfrescian
Loyal
Compare this.....:p

A friend studying in the United States appreciates the change in scenery and the wide variety of activities and classes - limited only by his imagination - that are readily available.

His classes range from astrophysics to an orchestral conducting course, and he has already signed up for evolutionary biology and literary criticism in the next semester.

He slots in frisbee-throwing sessions and lazing around fields between and after classes as well.

Other friends studying in Britain and Australia also appreciate the chance to be more vocal in class.

Over there, it is normal to express opinions that are contrary to what is being taught. Students are encouraged to engage professors in back-and-forth banter.

And this.....:biggrin:

Meanwhile, those studying at home also provide positive feedback.

They fully appreciate the rigorous syllabus, which is on par with those offered at many renowned foreign universities.

They do not hold the notion that a local degree is inferior to a foreign one, and they confirm that local universities also provide a high quality of education.

More importantly, many friends cite their familiarity with the local environment as the main reason for choosing to continue their education here.

They prefer to focus on their studies without having to worry about fitting into another culture or speaking an unfamiliar language.

Many have also found it hard to leave their family and circle of friends, who form a crucial part of their support system.

In the end, both groups of friends agree on one thing: They want to stay with their loved ones in Singapore.

Give them some time, and I'm sure that Singaporeans abroad will realise that they're more like salmon than flighty birds

angry_one

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lanjiao!! Salmon migrate back to their home river to breed and raise their young, before they return to the sea. Sinkees who migrate don't intend to come back!!

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
It is always natural for a human to go for better things in life. Nothing strange about that.

What they experience in a real first world country is something lacking in a fake first world country, and if they are first world enough, they will not go back.

Conan the Barbarian

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lanjiao!! Salmon migrate back to their home river to breed and raise their young, before they return to the sea. Sinkees who migrate don't intend to come back!!

Wrong. Salmons return to the river to breed and die immediately after that, due to exhaustion of a long and hard journey home.

So there are many similarities, except most Singaporeans do not migrate, they simply die of exhaustion as they work throughout their lives raising the children.:biggrin:

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

That is what i call stimulated learning that arose curiosity and trying to be creative. That is what learning is all about, curiosity and creativity.

Now back to the fake first world sinkie country, you have a teacher scolding student for asking question and in the end the student is afraid to ask question. they put fear in learning and how to learn if there is fear, ahhhhhh, Learn to fear.

If they are trying to tell the world they are first world, i should suggest that they look at themselves first.

Last edited:

ah_phah

Alfrescian
Loyal
salmon will die when then swim upstream to lay the eggs la. they will slowly die from exhaution + injury, then the young hatchling will feast on thier dying parents bodies. grow up, then the new generation swim down stream. the older generation no more chance to see the ocean liao.

same thing for sgpore. the system is make in such a way, if wana ensure children not much stress. the parent must die ealry (after fully paid up), then the kids can have the house, at the same time no more burden to feed the aged parents.

bt they 4get if the parent dun die early, that mean the children canot inherit the house, then time to marry have to borrow $ from bank buy new house, then service loan until hay-hay chuan, still have to feed the ageing parents.

A

Alu862

Do you mean Singaporeans taste as good as the Sashimi or Sushi you get from the restaurants?

PLEASE>

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Even animals would migrate if their territory is no more conducive for them to breed. I thought all these are part and parcel of nature, so why PAP want to go against them? If you want to hurt the people with GST and spoil the land with ERP, and bring in unwanted species like FT than don't blame the emigrants and they know what is best for them - seeking the other greener pasture.