• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singapore Press Holdings loses 25% in profits, launches $80m New Media Fund

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I grew up reading the Strait Times. Back then there was only 1 section.
I would start by reading the comics, then the TV page, then the funny stories like the molest cases or fights started by some aquas :smile:

I would ignore most of the front page because it would always be PAP propaganda. :biggrin:

It was the sports page, back then, Internet was not here yet...Teletext was slow too , the comics...like I have mentioned movies reviews, horse racing just for the stories etc.., then the movies page & the Obituary...ask me why, I will tell you " have not seen you picture there yet"... ha ha ha

Then local news like accidents.....forum or letter to the PRESS...for the ghost writing stories & some regulars, one I happen to know... anything that takes up an entire..that is "Devoted to YEW" & his company...I skip...even it meant 3/4 of the papers...

Last edited:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
one I happen to know... anything that takes up an entire..that is "Devoted to YEW" & his company...I skip...even it meant 3/4 of the papers...

When the Old Fart kicks the bucket, I think the entire newspaper will be flooded with a certain type of coverage. :rolleyes:

The orbituary section will also be quite a sight to behold. :cool:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Now you dont have to pay. Today newspaper is free. Slotted at your gate door every morning. Govt controlled media getting desperate. ... :biggrin:

Unfortunately they don't have any comics.

The freebie Today is owned by Mediacorp. They are probably more entertainment oriented. While Straits Times is owned by SPH, traditionally heavy on the propaganda.
With the internet people can access news more easily. I remember how difficult it was to access the Straits Times online site. You needed to register or be a subscriber. With the falling readership SS is becoming irrelevant. I think it's time they start thinking of downsizing.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That's why SPH is going into the REITS and real estate business.

SBS the bus company attempted to diversify into property. They developed some property at 6th Avenue.

If these companies start diversifying, it will mean that they will start ignoring their core business. A good example is SMRT. The CEO was busy focusing on the retail business that the main reason for SMRT, transportation, started suffering

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
SBS the bus company attempted to diversify into property. They developed some property at 6th Avenue.

If these companies start diversifying, it will mean that they will start ignoring their core business. A good example is SMRT. The CEO was busy focusing on the retail business that the main reason for SMRT, transportation, started suffering

You don't need a lot of focus to keep churning out propaganda.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When the Old Fart kicks the bucket, I think the entire newspaper will be flooded with a certain type of coverage. :rolleyes:

He has not gone yet, we already have advertisement on "DEVOTED TO YEW"...please buy his book, in English, Chinese ( by BBQ Seng), his picture book...etc PLEASE BUY "devoted to YEW"...Please!!:p

Getloud

Alfrescian
Loyal

I'm more interested if there's any one week holiday bo.
So they can cry father cry mother for a week.

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You don't need a lot of focus to keep churning out propaganda.

Yes, especially when the "national newspaper" is no more than just an in-house newsletter of the ruling party.
People at the top get into trouble when they start believing their own inhouse news.

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Won't be surprised if they are already collecting orders for the insertions. There could be a separate section to cover the historic event.

escher

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
After launching New Media Fund, they might want to consider launching New Media Shield and after that, New Media Save.

Why not?

And since anything free in Stinkapore?

All that and more already paid by the hundreds of billions that smear of shit on sole of shoe fucked and screwed from you all
WHile you saying the fucking pledge and singing muckjular stinkapura, your $$$$$$$$$ gone, all gone

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The first newspaper my parents subscribed to for me - they never read much English, themselves - was The Singapore Herald. I recall enjoying reading the paper even though I must have been too young to guess that hey were on a collision course with PAPzi policy.

Not long after, I learned about the impending demise of the paper and of how the PAPzis were tightening the screws on them so as to shut them down. I also recall a brief but dramatic march by some people carrying a banner that said 'Save the Herald!' I remember feeling angry that the PAPzis wanted to close down my paper.

Then I forgot, until I was much older, when the PAPzis decided to close everything else down and set up the SPH (nka Braddell Brothel) and introduced the NPPA. By then, I'd learnt about the NAZIs in Germany and the communists in the USSR and realized we were not very different. So, I said, 'NO MORE PAPZIs.'

wMulew

Alfrescian
Loyal
The increase in the number of retards reading alternative media opposition bullshit and propaganda will prove to be the downfall of SG

WongMengMeng

Alfrescian
Loyal
The increase in the number of retards reading alternative media opposition bullshit and propaganda will prove to be the downfall of SG

On the contrary, if Sinkies read from the correct sources on the alternative media, they might discover some hard truths - like their Ministar of Slave Matters is a balls carrying moron and idiot, completely ignorant of the employment laws that he is supposed to be enforcing:

(continued from post #23)

4. An employee can be terminated basically in two ways – with or without cause.

5. What’s the difference? “With cause” means you have done something wrong and since you being fired with good reasons, there is no need to pay compensation to the employee. Let’s say Itchy Fingers is trader in a stock broking firm and one day had the “fat finger” syndrome and caused the firm millions of dollars in losses by buying 1 million shares of Big Bad Corporation instead of selling as he was supposed to do. He can be terminated “with cause”. In fact Itchy Fingers should consider himself lucky if he is not being asked to compensate the broking firm in addition to being sacked without payment.

6. “Without cause” means they don’t have grounds to fire you, but maybe your personality doesn’t fit in with the new boss’ or whatever. Notice or payment in lieu of notice is the norm.

7. Common sense tells one that if you are being employed by a church in marriage counseling, you jolly well behave yourself in your own personal life or risk being fired “with cause” i.e. no compensation, no or very short notice and no payment in lieu thereof. How the hell are you going to do your JOB as a marriage counselor in a church when the whole damn church is talking about your adulterous life? In fact if the church had allowed her to carry on its reputation with its own congregation and the public would suffer!

8. Ministar of Slave Matters obviously doesn't understand point 7. Therefore he ought to be shot. His salary is not cheap remember!

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
In this environment, SPH CEO Alan Chan’s announcement of a S$100 million ($80 million) fund, which will invest in media-related businesses, is hardly surprising. While details are scarce for now, it’s likely that Singapore-based and regional media-related startups, a rather vague categorization, will benefit.

In fact, SPH has already sunk money into a number of online businesses. This year, it acquired Singapore’s top car portal sgCarMart for $48 million and also invested $1.45 million in restaurant reservation site Chope. This is its second wave of investment activity — it acquired fuckwarezone for $4.5 million in 2006 and ShareInvestor.com for $12 million in 2008.

These investments are mainly Singapore based. Won't make much money. SPH is still playing in its own backyard, unable or unwilling to get out of its comfort zone.

Diversification in most cases ended up worse off.

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Diversification in most cases ended up worse off.

If you are good, and smart about the market place, diversification won't even be necessary in the first place.
The number of senior people there who chiak liau bee is incredible -those in the their 50s and 60s who have lost touch with the market.

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

PAP woof woof Wmulew, it's definitely more interesting to read the alternative media than reading dour PAP propaganda filth found inside your favorite Shit Times..

I bet your storeroom is full of the past copies of the Shit Times dating back from 20 years ago..