• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singapore new normal

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
We are becoming like other countries, so let's have other country's election results too.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1196133/1/.html

Universities roll out 'MRT delay plan' during exams
By Leong Wai Kit, channelnewsasia.com | Posted: 19 April 2012 0401 hrs

SINGAPORE: University students worried about possible MRT service disruption during their examination periods can be assured safety nets have been put in place by their respective institutions.

Service disruption during peak hours on the Circle Line on Wednesday morning and East-West Line on Tuesday morning has sparked concern among some university students, whose exams are ongoing or around the corner.

Examinations are ongoing at the Singapore Management University (SMU), while the National University of Singapore (NUS) and the Nanyang Technological University (NTU) will hold theirs from Thursday and Friday respectively.

SMU Business Management student Normen Goh said: "I do not think its fair to the school if it has to make special allowances under such circumstances because it would be susceptible to abuse by students who are not genuinely affected by the disruption.

"However, I do hope that if SMU is aware of a major disruption, it could delay the paper by say, half an hour, so that it is fair."

"Other than this, I doubt there is much we can reasonably expect the school to do," Mr Goh added.

An SMU spokesperson told channelnewsasia.com the institution is monitoring the transport situation closely, in light of the recent disruptions.

"The university will take into consideration special cases whereby the delay in reaching the examination venue is due to unforeseen circumstances and valid evidence is produced to support students' cases," the spokesperson said.

"For example, students who are affected by the recent MRT train disruption during peak hours will be given the full examination time to complete their exams. If this is not possible, then special consideration will be given to these students in the assessment of their final exams."

Meanwhile, NTU Business School undergraduate Kenneth Teng, who lives in Pasir Ris, said he plans to stay over at a friend's place during his exam period.

"I cannot afford any MRT disruption especially since it takes me two-and-a-half hours to get to NTU (in Boon Lay). A taxi trip to school would cost me a bomb," Mr Teng said.

"I hope NTU can implement a shuttle service at various station points such as Tampines, Yishun and Kovan to allow students staying in the east or north to get to school on time, in case of a disruption."

When contacted, NTU registrar Chan Kwong Lok said NTU has informed the MRT operators about its upcoming exams from April 20 to May 4.

"They have kindly agreed to alert us if there are any service disruptions during this period. In the event of a major train disruption, NTU would consider making alternative arrangements for late-comers," Mr Chan said.

Generally, university students are not allowed to enter the examination hall more than an hour after the start of a paper.

In NUS, faculty administrators for exams will be reminded about the standard procedures to be taken in the event of unforeseen circumstances.

"As part of the university's standard procedures for the administration of examinations, the start time of an examination may be delayed by up to 30 minutes in the event of unforeseen events such as inclement weather and untoward traffic situations which are reported in reliable media sources," an NUS spokesperson said.

"Students who are late for exams are allowed to enter the examination hall within one hour after the start of the examination."

SMRT said that in the event of a train service disruption, students sitting for national exams - "N", "O" or "A" Levels - can approach its station staff for assistance.

"Our staff will help them get a taxi to take them to their examination venue," said an SMRT spokesperson.

SMRT added it will provide an excuse chit to passengers who request for it from its station staff, as official proof the passenger was delayed because of a service disruption.

Passengers who need one can write to SMRT Customer Relations at [email protected].

BIGGERFUCK

Alfrescian
Loyal
Will SMRT also take the exam for the students? If 3,000 students are affected, will SMRT fork out 3,000 taxifares?

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
SMRT added it will provide an excuse chit to passengers who request for it from its station staff, as official proof the passenger was delayed because of a service disruption.

Passengers who need one can write to SMRT Customer Relations at [email protected].

ITE girl selling cheebye instead of taking examinations can write in or not?....LOL....alamak....LOL

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
We are becoming like other countries, so let's have other country's election results too.

I'm sorry, we are not like other countries.

(1) Other countries do not let foreigners ride roughshod over locals.

(2) Other countries do not formalize detention without trial in the form of ISA, or are in the midst of abolishing such instruments (Malaysia)

(3) Other countries' ruling governments do not use supposedly nonpolitical grassroots bodies to advance their own political interests

(4) In other countries, a non-violent demonstration by a single person is not an arrestable offence.

(5) In other countries, political leaders do not call their own citizens dogs and ants, and yet still enter the law making body.

(6 In other countries, foreigners are not allowed to flee after they have assaulted a local.

(7) In other countries, newcomers do not demand to be treated equally as indigenous populace which has been there for generations.

(8) In other countries, families do not shun you if you join an opposition party.

(9) In other countries, law enforcement spends more resources going after the drug lords and the masterminds rather than merely executing the runners.

Last edited:

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singaporean students are pampered. In Africa and Least Developed Countries, people have to walk miles to school or dont even have universities. They work on the farm.

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singaporean students are pampered. In Africa and Least Developed Countries, people have to walk miles to school or dont even have universities. They work on the farm.

It's precisely the fact that they are not pampered that caused them to work on farms. Indulgence fuels the pursuit of efficiency. :smile:

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's precisely the fact that they are not pampered that caused them to work on farms. Indulgence fuels the pursuit of efficiency. :smile:

Exactly. Singaporeans worried about MRT breakdowns? In conflict countries, people are worried whether they will survive walking to school--if the school building is around by the time they reach there--dead or injured

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
Exactly. Singaporeans worried about MRT breakdowns? In conflict countries, people are worried whether they will survive walking to school--if the school building is around by the time they reach there--dead or injured

You didn't really understand what I said, did you? :biggrin:

deepblue0911

Alfrescian
Loyal
That the universities are making provisions to help students who might be late due to trains break down is just sad. The MRT operators have failed Singaporeans massively.

I used to tell my foreign friends with pride that, among other things, we can count on the trains to come on time and send us to where we want to go in an efficient manner. My HK friends just asked me last week with a smile: "Hey bro, what happened to your subway system?"

No place to hide my face.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
No place to hide my face.

I used to warn my sinkie collegues who had a habit of swaggering around in foreign lands proclaiming how wonderful Singapore was in comparison that nothing lasts forever and a touch of humility would do no harm.

How right I was. Sadly, the day has come sooner than I envisaged.

deepblue0911

Alfrescian
Loyal
I used to warn my sinkie collegues who had a habit of swaggering around in foreign lands proclaiming how wonderful Singapore was in comparison that nothing lasts forever and a touch of humility would do no harm.

Pride, is the not same as proud.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Hi Sam, I have to agree with you on this point. Many sinkies used to say how good things are in sinkieland as compared to overseas..they like to say migrate overseas to be a 2nd class citizen,,,but now they are 1st class slaves in their home country...wonder what they will say now,,,,

glockman

Old Fart
Asset

I agree. I am actually surprised that the country has gone to the gutters at such speed. Especially in the past 10 years. Being a sporean used to mean something. Each time I returned from overseas, I was happy and proud to see the lights, roads and trees around Changi airport. That feeling has long dissipated.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
I'm sorry, we are not like other countries.

(1) Other countries do not let foreigners ride roughshod over locals.

(9) In other countries, law enforcement spends more resources going after the drug lords and the masterminds rather than merely executing the runners.

This is so sad but true. :(

Last edited:

freedalas

Alfrescian
Loyal

Excellent post, Mr Leongsam, I fully agree with you.

freedalas

Alfrescian
Loyal
I agree. I am actually surprised that the country has gone to the gutters at such speed. Especially in the past 10 years. Being a sporean used to mean something. Each time I returned from overseas, I was happy and proud to see the lights, roads and trees around Changi airport. That feeling has long dissipated.

You are not alone, bro. Many are feeling exactly the way you do. And more and more will feel this way too. Read all about it in the thread "Crumbling of Singapore". Tracy Tan must be commended for starting this thread that is turning out to be quite prophetic.

deepblue0911

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are not alone, bro. Many are feeling exactly the way you do. And more and more will feel this way too. Read all about it in the thread "Crumbling of Singapore". Tracy Tan must be commended for starting this thread that is turning out to be quite prophetic.

The real question is: what can we do to help Singapore (apart from talking about it in this forum)?