• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singapore in 2034 World Cup. Can make it or not?

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

SEA Games 2023: Young Lions mauled 7-0 by Causeway rivals Malaysia​

footbal1_1.jpg

Singapore's Under-22 team went into the break 2-0 down and conceded five in the second half. PHOTO: FOOTBALL ASSOCIATION OF MALAYSIA
deepan.png

Deepanraj Ganesan
UPDATED

May 11, 2023

PHNOM PENH – Singapore suffered its worst defeat at the SEA Games football competition since 1971 after a 7-0 drubbing at the hands of Causeway rivals Malaysia on Thursday.
The result at the Prince Stadium also meant that Singapore finished their 2023 SEA Games football tournament rock bottom in Group B. For the first time since 1987, the Republic ended their campaign with no victories to show for.
Singapore’s worst defeat at the Games was an 8-1 loss to Burma at the 1971 tournament in Kuala Lumpur.
At the 1987 Indonesia Games, Singapore played only two matches. This time, they could not muster a win in four matches.
The SEA Games football competition became an age-group tournament since 2001, with this edition for Under-22s only.
The Young Lions suffered 3-1 losses to Group B opponents Thailand and Vietnam in their opening two matches before settling for a 0-0 draw with Laos in their third match.
Singapore coach Philippe Aw said: “There was only one team in this game today and it was Malaysia. It was one-way traffic after we conceded.

“With regards to my future, it is not important at this current point. What we need to reflect on is if we don’t do anything going forward, we will just get worse.
“For me, I have been given a task to do this job with my staff. We have given our best and if it is not good enough, it’s OK, we can find the next person. Let’s look at the ecosystem, the process.
“I can step down and let someone else take over but we need to be fair to the next person who takes over. This has been ongoing for years. Let’s see how we can help the next person do this job better.
“I felt we were drawn into this group of death and the result shows where we are. The silver lining is that we have come in here and seen the difference in quality. I hope we go back and reflect and start doing things better and change for the better.”
On Thursday, Malaysia took a two-goal lead into half time before scoring five more goals in the second half. Malaysian midfielder Saravanan Thirumurugan bagged a hat trick.
The latest loss comes after the senior national team’s 4–1 defeat by Malaysia at the 2022 AFF Championship in January.

Our local football has great leadership. That part is certain, since the FAS President is usually a PAP minister or MP. If only our muud footballers buck up, instead of taking drugs or getting distracted with food delivery, they could do so much better in football.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

SEA Games 2023: FAS chief calls Malaysia defeat ‘one of the worst nights in history’, sorry for social media outburst​

2022092326578959fa9afe21-5961-493b-91c6-7efd521b08f0_2.jpg

FAS acting president Bernard Tan apologised and said that he regretted responding on social media. PHOTO: ST FILE
aqil-hamzah-230217.png

Aqil Hamzah

May 12, 2023

SINGAPORE – Calling the Young Lions’ 7-0 mauling by Malaysia “one of the worst nights in our history”, Football Association of Singapore (FAS) acting president Bernard Tan has vowed that “tough questions will be asked” over the next two weeks.
On Thursday, Singapore were soundly beaten by their Causeway rivals in their worst defeat at the SEA Games football competition since 1971. The Under-22 side finished the campaign rock bottom in Group B with zero wins in four matches – their fifth straight group stage exit at the Games.
The dismal results have left fans frustrated and angry, with many taking to social media to criticise the team and the FAS.
These included threads on online forums such as Reddit and fuckwarezone, as well as within Facebook fan groups like SingaBrigade.
One of the comments that was posted in response to Tan’s Instagram post following the loss called for his resignation, which led to Tan issuing a personal challenge on Friday.
In reply, Tan said: “I don’t get paid. One time offer. Instead of abusing me here. Abuse me face to face. Let’s meet.”
He also included his FAS e-mail address, as well as a caveat that he would leave the original commenter’s words up for 24 hours, before deleting it.

Tan has since made his account private and limited comments to his post. His bio now simply reads, “Sorry.”
Explaining his actions in a separate post on Friday, Tan apologised and said that he regretted responding.
“I have always wanted to be more open, even through social media, to meet people privately, as there are many who have offered constructive feedback and perceptions from the ground,” he wrote.
“But events of last night led to emotions running high with some abuse on my social media from unfamiliar accounts. I regret responding and apologise deeply... I am human. I was hurting too.”
Although he also received supportive messages, he asked that those be directed to the team instead, noting that “they must be devastated”.
Tan also noted that the FAS “has always been open to engagement with stakeholders” and the association has advised him that this would be “best done in formal organised settings”.
He added: “Tough questions will be asked over the next two weeks, and we will do this openly.”

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Our local football has great leadership. That part is certain, since the FAS President is usually a PAP minister or MP. If only our muud footballers buck up, instead of taking drugs or getting distracted with food delivery, they could do so much better in football.

JohnTan playing the race card on behalf of the PAP.
The PAP, its Sports Ministers, its appointed FAS President know it but do not dare to say it: the mu.ds are holding SG soccer back but the PAP do not have the political courage to say it because it will cost them dearly in the elections.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
JohnTan playing the race card on behalf of the PAP.
The PAP, its Sports Ministers, its appointed FAS President know it but do not dare to say it: the mu.ds are holding SG soccer back but the PAP do not have the political courage to say it because it will cost them dearly in the elections.

It's a good idea to kick out all the muuds from our SG soccer and replace them with Brazilians, white English or Italians. But it may be politically incorrect to do so.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It is political suicide to kick the m&d.s from SG soccer. The PAP also has to kick out the mu.d coaches, the mu.d football officials, and the mu.d fan base.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

FAS chief apologises after terse response to social media comment on SEA Games thrashing​

Singapore and Malaysia players in their SEA Games football match on May 11, 2023

Singapore and Malaysia players in their SEA Games football match on May 11, 2023

Published May 12, 2023

SINGAPORE — The acting president of the Football Association of Singapore (FAS) apologised on Friday (May 12) after a curt response to a comment on Singapore's 7-0 defeat by Malaysia at the SEA Games.
The result on Thursday was Singapore's worst since a 5-0 beating by Thailand at the last edition. It also ensured the under-22 footballers ended their campaign bottom of the group and with no wins for the first time since 1987.
The FAS chief Bernard Tan had responded to a comment on his Instagram account calling for his resignation. The user, “nic_8276”, added: "You (Tan) are not worthy of the paycheck."
In response, Mr Tan said he is not paid and proposed a "one-time offer".
"Instead of abusing me here. Abuse me face to face. Let's meet," wrote Mr Tan. " Drop me an email ... I will leave your comment for 24 hours. After which I will delete you. It's my wall."

His Instagram account has since been set to private.
bernardtan_0.jpg
TODAY fileFile photo of the acting president/deputy president of the Football Association of Singapore, Mr Bernard Tan
In an Instagram post on Friday, Mr Tan called the 7-0 defeat "one of the worst nights in our history".
"(Events) of last night led to emotions running high with some abuse on my social media from unfamiliar accounts," read the post. "I regret responding and apologise deeply. I hold myself to a higher standard. I am human. I was hurting too."
He said that he had always wanted to be more open through social media and to meet people privately as "there are many who have offered constructive feedback and perceptions from the ground".
He added that FAS had advised him and its members that open engagement with its stakeholders was "best done in formal organised settings".
"Tough questions will be asked over the next two weeks and we will do this openly," he said.
In comments to CNA on Friday afternoon, Mr Tan said: "I appreciate the support that people have conveyed to me and the FAS." CNA

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

S’pore in 2034 World Cup? Football fraternity wants to know how FAS plans to achieve its goal​

Singapore's Under-23 team celebrating winning the bronze medal at the 2013 SEA Games in Myanmar. Pundits said Singapore should set a goal of winning its first SEA Games football title first.
TODAY file photo
Singapore's Under-23 team celebrating winning the bronze medal at the 2013 SEA Games in Myanmar. Pundits said Singapore should set a goal of winning its first SEA Games football title first.

JUSTIN ONG

@JustinOngTODAY
Published August 25, 2019

SINGAPORE — With Singapore’s national football team currently ranked 162nd in the world, the Football Association Singapore’s (FAS) recently-declared goal of getting Singapore to the World Cup finals in 2034 has understandably been met with scepticism by members of the football fraternity.
However, people whom TODAY spoke to are optimistic that the effort taken in trying to achieve the target could go some way in lifting Singapore football out of the doldrums.
They are also interested to know details of the FAS’ plans to achieve that goal.
FAS vice-president Edwin Tong revealed on Aug 18 the association’s target to play at the 2034 World Cup finals. He told The Straits Times that this was a “realistic” goal.
“We’ve always wanted to be somewhere on the world stage, so we need to start,” Mr Tong, who is also the Senior Minister of State for Health and Law, had said.

Goal 2034, he said, will be used to focus and shape what the FAS and its stakeholders do, and that grassroots football, youth development, infrastructure and schools will be key to achieving success.
The World Cup finals in 2034 would have been expanded to involve 48 teams, up from 32 currently, with eight countries from the Asian Football Confederation, up from a maximum of four guaranteed slots currently.
Singapore is currently 34th in Asia.
Commenting on the announcement, former national coach Seak Poh Leong said: “I think it is good, because if you don’t do anything to football, football at the moment is dead and buried in Singapore, nobody talks about it and such an announcement is better than nothing.
“It’s a bold decision, and I think it’s good that it was announced and I believe we will get better and proper plans. If there’s a desire to move on, and people talk about it, then there’s interest in football.”
Several others whom TODAY spoke with had their doubts about whether the goal could be achieved, pointing to what happened with Goal 2010 — Singapore’s attempt at qualifying for the 2010 World Cup that was sparked by then prime minister Goh Chok Tong in 1998.

Former Singapore coach PN Sivaji said that to be serious contenders, Singapore has to be competing and winning — or at least losing narrowly — with the top Asian teams by 2031 or 2032.
“Based on our present standards and state of football, the time appears insufficient,” he said.
The Lions were ranked 81st in the Fifa rankings in 1998 when Mr Goh first spoke about the World Cup.
Long-time fan and blogger Ko Po Hui said that while he has not seen the blueprint for Goal 2034 to say much about it, he wonders if the purpose is “to lift the standard of the local game on the whole on a sustainable basis, or just a one-off, ad-hoc attempt to see Singapore in the World Cup in 2034”.
The 43-year-old said that Singapore will have to tackle the “usual obstacles” it has been facing all these years, such as the “absence of a comprehensive development system to groom our players”.
LACK OF PROPER YOUTH DEVELOPMENT SYSTEM

Former S-League midfielder Rhysh Roshan Rai believes that one of the biggest challenges Singapore faces is a lack of “sporting culture”.
“Sports is not considered a career option and it has been that way for years,” said the 34-year-old football analyst and commentator.
Mr Rai said that getting young players to “buy in completely” to playing football and educating them to “live and train like a professional” has always been a challenge here.
He also stressed that a strong “youth development ecosystem” is crucial to develop the technical abilities required to perform at the international level, which are lacking in Singapore’s players.
“Youth development has to not only be at the national level but at the club level as well,” he said.
Agreeing, Mr Seak said that when it comes to talent, it is “the more the merrier”.

Talent development, he believes, should take place beyond the football academy and also be the responsibility of clubs and schools.
Mr Sivaji said: “The building blocks related to football development and elite football need to be in place and strong support needs to be garnered so that it can help produce the desired results.”
NEED FOR A MORE COMPETITIVE LOCAL LEAGUE
Then there is the national league, which was rebranded the Singapore Premier League (SPL) in March last year.
The FAS had then introduced a slew of changes aimed at rejuvenating the ailing league, with the emphasis on a “youth philosophy” to increase the number of young talent that could play for the country.
The new rules included ensuring that all local sides in the SPL had at least six Singaporean under-23 players in their ranks, and that at least three must be named in the starting line-up for all league games.
Mr Rai said that the aim at this point in time should be to improve the youth development system and the SPL.
Mr Seak said that the state of the national team is a reflection of the league.
“Every national team depends on the national league,” said Mr Seak. “If the national league is screwed up, you have a mediocre national team.”
ON NS AND FOREIGN TALENT
Then there is the National Service (NS) issue.
Mr Sivaji said that 18 to 21 is the age where most players either make it or drop out of the sport and that there needs to be ways to “mitigate the effect of NS on the development of our local players”.
Mr Rai, who played for Singapore Armed Forces FC — now known as Warriors FC — from 2010 to 2011, said: “Perhaps a solution could be to bring back the scheme where players could continue their playing careers as part of their NS by making Singapore Armed Forces Sports Association (SAFSA) and Police Sports Association part of the Singapore Premier League.”
Both currently play in the amateur National Football League Division One, which is one tier below the SPL.
When asked what else could be done to boost the nation’s chances on the world stage, most who were interviewed agreed that naturalising foreign talent, which has been a divisive issue in other sports such as table tennis, is something that should be seriously considered.
In talking about foreign talent, Mr Sivaji said Singapore could learn from Qatar, a team that had won the recent AFC Asian Cup with many foreign players naturalised from a young age.
He pointed out how the Lions in 2007 — who came closest to qualifying for the Asian Cup — consisted of foreign talents like Egmar Goncalves, Mustafic Fahrudin and Shi Jia Yi playing alongside Singapore-born players.
“If we can (qualify for the World Cup) with Singaporeans born and raised here, that would be the best,” said Mr Seak. But this “might not be enough”, he added.
“We need to have some foreign talent; we have to take advantage of it because every country is using foreign talent. Come on, Germany’s table tennis (team) is represented by someone from China.”
‘SHOOT FOR THE MOON’
Mr Seak said that with Goal 2034, the FAS should set achievable targets along the way.
“One step at a time,” he said. “When we started Goal 2010 (in 1998), after a while we were at the top of Asean, so at least that’s Phase One, when we can (achieve) that we try to go to Phase Two.”
Mr Rai concurred and said that the FAS should set targets such as winning a first ever SEA Games gold, doing well at AFF and AFC youth tournaments, and qualifying for the Asian Cup regularly.
The next step, he said, is to ensure that there are enough funding and resources to meet every target that leads Singapore to the eventual goal of World Cup qualification.
“You still need a whole lot of fuel if you want to shoot for the moon, even if you only land among the stars along the way,” Mr Rai said.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The Big Read: Goal 2034 — hard-hitting questions answered on Singapore’s ‘big, hairy, audacious aspiration’​

The announcement has been met with some public scepticism, given Singapore football’s current state of affairs and the failure of a similar project to qualify for the 2010 World Cup.
Anam Musta'ein/TODAY
The announcement has been met with some public scepticism, given Singapore football’s current state of affairs and the failure of a similar project to qualify for the 2010 World Cup.
Follow us on TikTok and Instagram, and join our Telegram channel for the latest updates.

JUSTIN ONG

@JustinOngTODAY
Published March 20, 2021

Earlier this month, the Government launched a new national project which aims to raise the standard of football among young Singaporeans. The latest project, dubbed Unleash the Roar, is related to the Goal 2034 ambitions mooted by the Football Association of Singapore (FAS) two years ago to have the national team, also known as the Lions, qualify for the 2034 World Cup. The announcement has been met with some public scepticism, given Singapore football’s current state of affairs and the failure of a similar project to qualify for the 2010 World Cup.
With the work cut out for the people behind the project to win over the sceptics, TODAY supervising editor Jason Tan and journalist Justin Ong put the tough questions to the project co-chairs, FAS deputy president Bernard Tan and Sport Singapore chief executive officer Lim Teck Yin, as well as FAS technical director Joseph Palatsides and ActiveSG Football Academy principal Aleksandar Duric. Former-professional-footballer-turned-lawyer Sudhershen Hariram and national youth footballer Zikos Chua also joined in the roundtable discussion.
Here are the excerpts:

Jason: We had Goal 2010 and then in 2015, former FAS technical director Michel Sablon also said that Singapore could play like Japan by 2020. So how is Goal 2034 different, and how will things be done differently?
Bernard: I think football is very important for Singapore. It is an emotional topic, it is the most played and watched sport in Singapore and all of us actually do want Singapore to be better. The question we all need to ask ourselves is, have we tried our best? And let's say we have fallen short of some targets in the past, is it right to give up? And the constant refrain I get in the football community is no, because we can do better… What is important is to take events of the past, learn the lessons and move forward. And surely all Singaporeans know: we cannot give up the first time we fall, right? The Singapore spirit is you fall, you pick yourself up, you go again. That is the spirit of sports, that's the spirit and attitude we want to have, and certainly that's what we want to actually deliver as we move forward. So I assure you that we are very cognisant of what we did in the past, and this project is fundamentally different.

Teck Yin: Over the years, we have had continuous discussions with different FAS leadership around aspirations, targets and approaches… And I must say that this particular project is probably one of the most well put together projects that I've seen coming out of the FAS over the years. It is clear about the aspiration and ambition with respect to setting an audacious goal that can excite and challenge the younger generation. When you think about football as the process and the journey, you cannot just be focusing on your senior team, you cannot just be focusing on your under-23 team. We've always known that you need to focus on the children and youth who are starting to play and are in school today. But the question is, how would you frame the aspiration that excites that generation — frame an aspiration that gets the parents of that generation saying, ‘I would encourage my children who want to play football, to get them involved in a programme, and I can see that there's a plan to put in place a good quality programme that will be beneficial to my child’? … I think this project must be clearly focused on what it means to bring Singaporeans on a journey that would be, if you like, bringing back that Kallang Roar, giving that opportunity for another generation of Singaporeans to be able to experience how we as Singaporeans journey together as a nation… So I want to commend the FAS for coming up with a big, hairy, audacious aspiration like this one.
Jason: I’m not quite sure if both of you answered the question on how will it be different this time round, from Goal 2010…
Bernard: When Goal 2010 was announced, it was really an emphasis on trying to naturalise foreign talent into the squad. That actually brought some success — remember we actually won the Suzuki Cup, that's not something to toss away. But if we want a lasting long term success, we need the base of the Singapore team to be homegrown… And this means a huge investment in developing rather than naturalising talent… Unleash the Roar is all about investing in our children, and giving them an opportunity to play football at the highest level. The second thing is this idea of a pathway to excellence. If we want to qualify for the World Cup or to be the best in Southeast Asia, let's not beat around the bush, our best players need to play in the best leagues in the world. Every single country is looking at the same thing. This means we need to give pathways for our very best to experience football in ecosystems that are far in advance of us, for our footballers growing up to experience football in Europe, for our professional footballers to be playing in quicker, faster, more stringent leagues around the world. I say the domestic league will actually benefit from that push, because we have players playing in Europe, you can bet your bottom dollar that the domestic league will also improve, because players are knocking at the door of Europe. I just want to remind readers of just two things: The whole of the Iceland national team plays in Europe, the whole of the Brazilian team plays in Europe, except for three players. Europe is the big ecosystem but even if we managed to get our players to Japan and Korea, that’s important. The third big difference and I want to appeal again to all parents is this time, we have aspiration for girls. We think it's important for the girls team to also see success in football, because it is a popular game and is growing in popularity, and we want our girls to also experience it.
Jason: Some Singaporeans are also asking where is the accountability for all these past objectives? Has any post mortem been done to see why we didn't achieve some of these goals, and what were the lessons learnt?
Bernard: When we formulated Unleash the Roar and Goal 2034, it was based on absolutely learning from what we could have done better and Goal 2010. For us to achieve huge aspirational goals… we need the whole of Singapore to pull it together. It cannot be done by one agency, it is almost impossible unless the whole of Singapore comes together.
Teck Yin: We need to recount some of the key milestones and the key events that football went through post 2010. So 2012 you have a Suzuki Cup victory, led by a very successful national coach, as well as an ageing Singapore team... We then talked about rebuilding; rebuilding the national team, rejuvenating, and we kept a near term focus on SEA games 2015… the effort to think about that rejuvenation led the FAS council to work with the Malaysian counterparts to get Singapore back into the Malaysian league. The conversations on this particular project didn't just happen in 2019, It started before, early in the term of the current FAS Council. This discussion culminated in an expression of that ambition in 2019. Plans got a little bit scuttled and derailed by the pandemic, and so we see a blank year. And now we are in 2021. But the average age, as well as the focus of the new Singapore Premier League (SPL), is consistent with where we are trying to go. Therefore, the SPL will have a distinct role in this project, especially in relation to the discussion on pathways of players through the domestic leagues to overseas leagues. So, it's not that nothing was done, but I think we have to remember the context of the day, and how things needed to be managed as we progressed. And a transformation that's required is never an easy transformation.
screenshot_of_zoom_chat.jpg
In a roundtable discussion on a new national project which aims to raise the standard of football among young Singaporeans are (Top row, L-R) TODAY supervising editor Jason Tan, TODAY journalist Justin Ong, Sport Singapore chief executive officer Lim Teck Yin, (Middle row, L-R) ActiveSG Football Academy principal Aleksandar Duric, FAS deputy president Bernard Tan, former-professional-footballer-turned-lawyer Sudhershen Hariram, (Bottom row, L-R) FAS technical director Joseph Palatsides and national youth footballer Zikos Chua. Photo: Zoom screengrab

Jason: In the past, it was common to see kids playing football in void decks of housing estates, but we don't see this anymore. How can we continue to make sure that football can be played almost anywhere?
Bernard: One thing to understand is that we live in an urbanised country that is very densely populated and we are trying to promote a game that requires open spaces... it is something that we will look at. You can see reconstruction of different kinds of facilities in Housing and Development Board estates, but more importantly, we need to have a long term view of how we use our limited areas. We have only about 200 to 300 fields in Singapore, and we need them to be heavily used. The two things I've been pushing for are more dual use fields, to have more fields become artificial because then you can take heavy loads. One of the problems of grass fields is once it rains right it gets so soggy, that you can't play. We in Singapore must regard grass fields as a luxury, although we still need to have some. And then, if we can install floodlights, then we can continue to provide night playing opportunities… In many temperate countries, you can play at noon and still be fine. In Singapore, you can't do that. So we have constraints but that's something that we shouldn't complain about. We accept our constraints, let's see how we can overcome them.
Zikos: In Singapore, I did experience playing at a void deck, although there were the occasional times when you'll be chased out by neighbours and sometimes you will even have the police called on us. But I think if the Government could do a better job in allowing kids to play at the void decks... you develop skills, a lot of competitiveness, a lot of fun... A lot of the top players in Brazil, they don't come from organised academies, they come from favelas (low-income informal settings) and that’s where they developed all their skills.
Teck Yin: We acknowledge that in all sports, unstructured play on a daily basis, outside of programmes that parents sign the kids up for are a very important part of skills and social development. Zikos is absolutely correct that when we look at the successful football-playing nations, or in any particular sport, the opportunity for getting out there on a daily basis for children to play in unstructured settings, outside of programmes, is an important part of that development. Ironically, in Singapore, given the amount of structure and system, and how we manage facilities, we would probably need a structure to allow unstructured play… we actually have spaces that people can play, but a certain level of marketing, encouragement, and even ironically, programming, might be necessary to help people understand what's accessible and available for them to do so. Of course, I would have to encourage town councils not to lock the futsal courts and only make it available based on booking. There's obviously some concern around vandalism and maintenance and stuff like that. But if we are going to do this well, we need to keep (spaces) open… Specific to this project, we will be looking to ensure the accessibility of these spaces in neighbourhoods.
Justin: National Service (NS) has always been seen as a challenge to aspiring football players. How will it be different this time round and what kind of support can footballers realistically expect?
Bernard: If you look at the development of a footballer, it’s a late development sport. You can be a gold medal gymnast at the Olympics at the age of 15, you can actually be quite a strong swimmer by the time you're 17, 18. But if you want to make it at a top level of football, usually people tell you, you peak at 26, 27. The critical ages for the development of football is from 18 to 21, perhaps to 23... Obviously there are exceptions, you see people who are playing at 16 and 15 at the adult game. But in general, the ages of 18 to 21 are extremely crucial. And obviously, that's when NS is served. So really, we have looked at ways in which we can work with NS, to see that the development of the footballer is not compromised. One way is early enlistment. If you can enlist at 16 and a half or sooner, you're really at the bottom of the (development) window of 18 (when you complete full-time NS), and you still have your whole career to develop. I think that is the way I will frame the challenge: Not that we cannot do NS but that we need to keep the development window.

Justin: You said that one aim is to send players to overseas leagues. But there was the whole saga with Ben Davis. Will there be any exemptions or deferments granted for people to play in overseas leagues?
Teck Yin: Whenever we talk about Ben Davis, we must not misconstrue the context of the conversation. The issue for Ben Davis was very simple, the moment Ben Davis and his family were not willing to commit when Ben Davis will come back to Singapore, that was the end of the conversation. You have grown up in Singapore, you have benefited from the Singapore system. NS is an obligation to keep a successful and secure Singapore going. We owe that to the whole country. At the systems level, we have always worked with the Ministry of Defence (Mindef)... the Singapore Armed Forces sportsman scheme is one such scheme that enshrines that policy of balance in implementing the schemes. We have always looked at the specific circumstances of a specific athlete and the campaign. So, whether it's early enlistment, whether it's delayed enlistment, or even enlisting at the end of your polytechnic education for many of the Sports School students who move to the Institute of Higher Learning, It is discussed in the specific context of the athlete and the campaign. So, we will engage in this discussion with Mindef in the same way. Fundamentally, is deferment absolutely necessary, or is this a case where early enlistment is better suited? Or is this the case that the particular athlete is still studying at one of our polytechnics while plying his skills on the football field, and therefore can enlist after that, and does that relate to a particular SEA Games campaign? So we will have to look at the circumstances… but at no time should football distract us from the NS obligation. And at no time should we allow the Ben Davis case to be used or construed as something it is not.

Justin: I understand Zikos is going to enlist in April this year. What are your hopes for your enlistment experience?
Zikos: I'm quite looking forward to it. because it is going to be a new experience for me, but at the same time, it's very high up in my goals that I am able to play and train consistently at the same time.
Teck Yin: Let me share a conversation I had with Zikos when he was 16 years old. I asked him, I said, ‘What is your pathway?’ He looked at me a little bit puzzled. He said, ‘I don't know what you mean by pathway’. I said, ‘what's your next step in football?’ And he said to me, ‘I don't really know. I just want to play as much as I can play.’... In this project, players need to be mentored, with respect to the pathway and the options. Children and youth come into the game, passionate and enthusiastic to play, have fun, and at some point to be the best player they can possibly be… I'm assuming that Zikos wants to represent Singapore at the senior national team. He's an intelligent lad (who has) found ways to play football and to study… very clear in his obligations about going to NS. But the conversation that we need to have with Zikos, is how do we keep your skills, how do we keep your fitness, how do we give you a football pathway, during NS and beyond. It cannot be a black hole... and this project is meant to make sure that at even a younger age, football and the future for youths is not a black hole.
Joseph: Every player could be different as well and that's why we have to be open to all different scenarios... A lot of players who are ready to enlist have different pathways. There's the educational element, the academic element that we want to consider, and maybe some issues, such as personal family issues that we have to consider. There’s no right or wrong in all this... we have to work within the guidelines, and all we need to do is just enhance them to make sure that there's continued development during this period of time and Zikos made it very clear that he's looking forward to how NS can shape him as a person as well which I think it's very important to take away. But at the same time, he wants to see how best he can continue to develop as a footballer... NS is a big part of Singapore and we respect that to the utmost. What we need to do is just develop a plan, and it's great to see that we've got open communications, and a willingness to make things better.

Jason: What if Zikos gets enlisted into a combat vocation? How then do you work with Mindef to ensure that his so-called footballing pathway remains at the highest possible level for him?
Teck Yin: Rather than talk about his case, I'd rather talk about my case. Because I played with the national water polo team for 12 years. And in all of those 12 years I was in the army. There were even occasions where I had to train and prepare and play when I was a commanding officer of a battalion. There were occasions when I found myself in Brunei for extended periods of time. I dare say that the mentality and the mindset of being able to adapt to your situation and put in the work that you need to put in is a critical component of an intelligent and successful athlete. Conditions, even beyond NS, may never be ideal for the player or the athlete. You may be free of NS, but you may be dealing with a nagging injury. You may be free of NS, but find yourself playing in a professional league, but also desiring in your own aspiration to work in another job. We have many national athletes who compete at a very high level, at the global level, who actually desire to do some form of work. So I think we have to be able to deal with the specifics of the day for the players in question. In the other case of the swimmers that we had to look at for deferment, there was a clear physiological and performance degradation in their performance in the water-based environment that we were able to track. That enabled us to seek long term deferment. So different sports are a bit different. And I think football in this case, can do the work with NS. And people may disagree... but I would hope that our footballers will not only just embrace NS, but use that as an opportunity to become a stronger athlete.
Aleksander: I served in the army also when I was growing up… I joined the army when I was 17… and I also became an officer. My time spent in army made me grow up as a person, become stronger mentally and physically. I juggled all my officer duties with football training. I think we are just asking too many excuses… NS is one of the good things in their lives. This can be done, they just need to really balance everything, (know) what you really want. And maybe from their military camp, we can work closely with them, maybe give them some special training to do on their own, or send some coaches inside the camps, and get them maybe to train a couple of times a week in camp.
Sudhershen: The easy option may be to just say that it's so difficult… or you can try and do something about it. And then there's the other part of it which is what the people who make the decisions can help you with. So it's good to hear that it's on a case-by-case basis. You can’t just have a cookie cutter sort of policy that applies to everyone… it has to be a holistic thing where everything is taken into consideration and we move away from the mindset of thinking that it's an either-or situation… The realities of how we are in Singapore, whether it's NS, whether it's education, they have to coexist… And I do agree that in NS, certain experiences you go through are transferable to your footballing career — the way you approach things, your mental strength, and it does make a difference. And then you have to also take the initiative to try and make things work, sometimes they won't. But you will never know until you try.
Justin: The state of the domestic league is putting some people off pursuing a professional football career. How will FAS work with parents and change their mindsets on football as a viable career?
Bernard: Anything that we do in the Singapore Premier League is actually a decision that's made in conjunction with the club chairmen so I'm not going to touch on specific changes. Maybe what I can offer is a perspective of sports as a career. There's an increasing number of parents who believe that the stairway to achievement is not just in academia. To be a well rounded person, you need something else, whether it's in the music or the arts, or in sports. I want my child to have multiple experiences... We have progressed in society, where there are multiple routes to achievement. With that as a backdrop, I think more and more parents will be allowing their kids to pursue their love for sports. What we are offering is a chance for you to go as far as you can, a stairway to go right to the very top... I want our best players to be playing in the best leagues in the world.
20210317_ili_spl_2021_br_football-02.jpg
A Singapore Premier League match between Balestier Khalsa FC (red) and Tampines Rovers FC (white) at Toa Payoh stadium on March 17, 2021. Photo: Ili Nadhirah Mansor/TODAY
Justin: Zikos, what are your hopes for your career in football?
Zikos: I think that Goal 2034 provides a clear target for us as footballers that we should work towards on a daily basis. I hope to see myself playing in perhaps a top Asian league or even in Europe, in the future. And I would like to see how far football can take me and give my best.
Joseph: I don't think anyone plays a sport (thinking) about what job I can have at the end of it all… If you ask Aleksandar, how was it when he won the Suzuki Cup? Will he ever forget those moments, for example? No he won’t. And when you win a gold medal or when you win a last minute community game because you scored a goal at the end or the goalkeeper saved the penalty shootout, they are the moments that enrich your life experiences. If you make a career out of it, then that's just a bonus. But I think getting people to be involved in the game, whichever game it is, and giving them different pathways... they're the type of things that we want to provide for the children of Singapore. After that, if we grow our ecosystem to the level that we all desire, then I think those opportunities will rise for everyone in different roles which could be football related or not.
Sudhershen: There seems to be a prevailing mindset — I don't know whether it's peculiar to Singapore — that just because you play football (professionally), you're entitled to a job after that, and that you have to be taken care of. I don't think that's fair. You go into it with your eyes open, and nobody owes you a job after that to make sure that you're employed for the rest of your life, whether in football or not. It cannot be the case that anytime you join a company, it is then responsible for the rest of your life right? So it's good to hear that there will be jobs available for the players to choose, whether they want to go and apply for it or not.
Jason: Bernard has suggested that Singapore models itself after Iceland, by having its football talent play in overseas leagues. How will FAS prepare Singaporeans for that? What other lessons has it learned from Iceland?
Bernard: First, the question is, why do we want to aim high? In 14 years, do we anticipate that more and more Southeast Asian players will be playing in Europe? And the answer must be yes. Unless you're exposed to the top end of the game, it's very hard for you to improve. So the whole idea here is for our athletes to aim for the top. It is not a static game, it is a competitive game… If our youth development is not preparing children who are able to play in the Singapore Premier League at a very young age, do you honestly think a European scout will pick them up? They have to be playing, they have to be debuting at an early age. Our teams must do well in Asian Football Confederation competitions, because that's where scouts watch you… we need to make sure that we develop our players faster. We want them to debut faster.
Jason: Do you truly believe that we have enough local football talent to play high-tempo, possession-based football and compete against the best in the world? Even China — one of the biggest countries in the world, with a 1.4 billion population, a lot of money invested in recent years in its own league, paying huge contracts to international stars — has nothing to show for so far.
Bernard: What has China done wrong? How many of their players play in Europe? If you try to bring European and Brazilian football to China, I think it becomes Chinese football, rather than European, Brazilian football. The only way that China can go up in the rankings is to have their players playing in the Premier League. Until China does that, they won't be competing in the top 50. The Japanese team has at least six playing in the top five leagues in the UK. Unless you get your players playing the top leagues in the world, no matter how much money you throw at the league won’t make the difference. So we need to set our objectives clear. We want our best players to play against the best in the world.
Joseph: You talked about the possession-based, high-tempo style of play. We know global trends suggest that that is the most successful form of play at this current time. And that's why most of the best clubs in the world play this style of play. Not everyone does, because there's more than one style of play to be successful… But in terms of youth development, that is the best way to go and I can tell you we have looked at the last three SEA games, and we can see that the data tells us that (teams which play this style) got to the finals. So we want to build towards a successful style of play. If our youth development model is implemented correctly, then there's no reason why our players cannot play in the Singapore Premier League at a very young age, but we need to have a pool of players capable of doing this, not one or two… How do we make our youth development model so functional that we're creating more than one or two players, that we're creating a pool of players... to make sure that we are successful over a sustainable period of time? That's what we're trying to put in place now.
Sudhershen: Whether there is enough talent locally, I think the answer is yes. And it's been shown that at the younger ages we have been able to compete, so it's not a question of whether the talent exists. It's more about whether we can harness the talent in such a way that they then go on to the professional level and continue to produce at a high enough level. I understand that one way of doing it is to try and push them as fast as possible and give them exposure. And it helps that the younger players get to train with the older players early… because I think it is accepted that if you train with better players, you do get better.
Justin: Unlike Goal 2010, Goal 2034 seeks to develop local talent instead. However, various countries have naturalised talent playing in their national football teams, including Qatar which is hosting the 2022 World Cup, and powerhouses such as Spain and Portugal. Where do we stand on this?
Bernard: We always must stay open to foreign talent… But the challenge is actually different today. When Goal 2010 was announced, naturalisation was actually quite easy. But today the rules of naturalisation under FIFA (the international football federation) are slightly more complicated. They require you to have a link to the country, or to have a residency requirement of five years... For us to actually attract foreign talent... we need to start early. And so one of the challenges we are trying to think through is: How do we get a foreign talent pipeline coming into Singapore? There are a few things we can think about. One is obviously scholarships for them to complete their secondary schools as well as maybe junior college education in Singapore, while they're playing football. There are two benefits to this: (The player) starts early, he gets to understand Singapore from an early age. Even if he doesn't become a naturalised national team player, our local players will be training with better footballers from other countries... it will lift the capability of our players... You don't have to look so far as Qatar, all our Southeast Asian neighbours, you can go through the entire list, they all have naturalised players.
Justin: Away from the men's game, will there also be a push for the national women's team to qualify for the World Cup?
Bernard: What we want for the women’s team is to strive for glory in Southeast Asia. I think that's a good target for them. Whether they qualify or not qualify, I want a women's team to be the team that no one wants to play against… the women's game has challenges that are significantly different from the men’s game... we first need to look at participation. We need more girls to play in Singapore… Parents shy their kids away from it… that's one big area that we need to look at. We need to start early. Very few Primary Schools offer girls football, and we're trying to work on that. We are also making sure that academies look at girls as well as boys... Technically, we also need to look at areas in the girl’s game where the challenges are significantly different — the strength, the agility and the size do suggest that the way the girls’ game is played is slightly different. This is something that we are in constant communication with the women's football fraternity themselves. Certainly what I would like to see at the end of Goal 2034 is a women's national team that little girls aspire to play for.
20210317_ili_spl_2021_br_football-16.jpg
Tampines Rovers supporters watching a Singapore Premier League match between Balestier Khalsa FC and Tampines Rovers FC from an overhead bridge near Toa Payoh stadium on March 17, 2021. Photo: Ili Nadhirah Mansor/TODAY
Justin: In light of the disappointment over past failings, what is your message to Singaporeans to rally them around this project?
Bernard: To have a good Singapore football team and for Singapore to excel in sports, the whole community needs to support the venture and needs to support our athletes... what I'm asking for is, please support our children, because ultimately they're the ones who will go through the pipeline and deliver glory to Singapore. We have a dream. We will facilitate that dream. We will put in place the structures that will enable the children to achieve those dreams. What we're asking for is parents to support the kids and for the community to do so as well. Teck Yin was saying whether we can keep certain areas free for kids to play. To me, that's necessary, because kids have too few places to play. So if older footballers (can) take the slots at 9pm to 11pm to play because that's when kids can’t play… let the kids have slots that can fit into their school timetable. All of us as a community can play our part. And what I'm asking for is the whole of Singapore to come together to achieve this dream.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Singapore’s 7-0 SEA Games defeat shows need to meet medium-term goals before lofty World Cup dream: Football fraternity​

Some of the players from Singapore's football team after their match with Laos at the SEA Games held in Cambodia on May 6, 2023.
Lim Weixiang/Singapore National Olympic Council
Some of the players from Singapore's football team after their match with Laos at the SEA Games held in Cambodia on May 6, 2023.
Follow us on Instagram and Tiktok, and join our Telegram channel for the latest updates.
  • Singapore's under-22 football team was demolished 7-0 by Malaysia at the 2023 SEA Games held in Cambodia
  • Pundits and fans said that Singapore's biggest ever loss to Malaysia on May 11 was not surprising given its recent run of poor form
  • They also said that instead of focusing on lofty goals such as World Cup qualification, more emphasis should be put on medium-term goals
  • If not, it would be hard to galvanise the fans and up-and-coming football talent in the future

JUSTIN ONG

@JustinOngTODAY
Published May 12, 2023

SINGAPORE — Reacting to Singapore's 7-0 thrashing in the hands of its Malaysian rivals, football pundits and former national players said that Singapore needs to renew its focus on its medium-term goals to prevent a similar loss in the future, rather than hark on longer-term goals such as qualifying for the World Cup.
Should Singapore fail to achieve any success or even qualify for the final stages in upcoming competitions, they risk losing support from fans, as well as potential footballing talent who may have little to no role models or past performances to look up to, they added.
Pundits and fans said that while the 7-0 score on Thursday (May 11) may seem shocking, and even embarrassing for some, none of them were surprised at the result, given the national team's calamitous run of form in regional competitions.
Singapore's demolition by Malaysia at this year’s Southeast Asian (SEA) Games — held in Phnom Penh, Cambodia — was its heaviest defeat since the games became an age-group affair, where the tournament is limited to players exclusively under 22 years old (U22).
The mauling is Singapore's largest ever loss to Malaysia, in both U22 and national team competitions. Its previous biggest defeat to Malaysia was a 6-0 loss in 1978 during the Merdeka Tournament.

It is also Singapore’s worst defeat at the SEA Games since an 8-1 loss to Burma at the 1971 event in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

THE REALITY OF SINGAPORE FOOTBALL​

Mr Rhysh Roshan Rai, a former S-League midfielder who now works as a freelance sports broadcaster, said that the loss was not a surprising one to him, having observed Singapore's footballing standards over the past few years.
"If anyone is surprised then they probably haven’t been following football in the region closely," the 38-year-old said.
"We are quite far behind the top sides at the moment — Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar are at our level now."
Singapore had not qualified past the group stage of the SEA games for 10 years, and its current SEA games campaign ended without any wins, with losses to regional powerhouses Vietnam and Thailand, the mauling by Malaysia, and a draw with traditional minnows Laos, ending in Singapore finishing last in the table on goal difference.
This is the poorest showing in its last 10 years competing at the games.

Former national footballer Rafi Ali said that the defeat was one that left a bitter taste in his mouth, knowing the kind of regional talent the young Singapore team was up against this round.
"I feel sorry for the boys. They tried. I can see that they’re trying. They’re just not equipped, not well-equipped enough for international football," the 50-year-old said.
Mr Rafi, who won the 1998 Tiger Cup with the Singapore national team, said that from his analysis of Singapore's three defeats in the SEA Games, it is evident that the players are lagging in terms of tactical awareness, physicality and technical skills compared to regional rivals.
"It's like going to war without your M16 (rifle) or without your tactical training."
The reasons for this discrepancy in talent has been discussed extensively by the media after past defeats, with the pundits pointing out factors such as a poor talent pipeline resulting from young players prioritising their studies and careers, a perceived lack of prospects in a career in football, as well as the less competitive nature of the Singapore Premier League (SPL) compared to other foreign leagues.

DON’T LOSE SIGHT OF MEDIUM-TERM GOALS​

Mr Rai said that the Football Association Singapore (FAS) has acknowledged this shortfall and is thus looking towards long-term goals such as the Unleash the Roar project, which was kickstarted in 2021, to develop footballing talent among children now.

The project is part of an ambitious plan by FAS, dubbed Goal 2034, for the men's national team to qualify for the 2034 World Cup.
Mr Rafi, who is part of the Unleash the Roar project as an ambassador, said that the project aims to "cast the net wider, to go scouting islandwide" in a bid to identify more raw footballing talents and to develop them into national team players with the technical abilities to compete internationally.
"We have to go back to the basics, start from zero again. The most important thing is to acknowledge that this is not working."
A couple of football fans said that it is good to have an ambitious long-term goal, but the short- and medium-term failings of the national team may hinder the fulfilment of these longer-term aspirations.
Football fan and former sports journalist Amanpreet Singh, 27, said that fans are lacking faith in the Singapore team with its recent run of results, and will find it difficult to back FAS' lofty push towards the World Cup.
"If the fans do not see a plan in place that shows promise of results in the near future, they will not feel confident in or be inspired by the ability of the team to deliver results in the longer-term," he added.

"You can’t say, ‘Let’s aim for this 10 years down the road’ and then keep failing and underperforming in upcoming tournaments."
He added that these medium-term goals need not necessarily even mean winning a medal at the SEA Games, but in simply going further than the group stages, which has not happened in the past 10 years.
"(Going beyond the group stages) is a hurdle that we need to get over, before we can even think about being a champion, or getting a medal."
Football fan Gary Koh, 39, who works in logistics, said that the recent run of poor form will discourage young footballing talents from taking the sport seriously.
"If people think they can really become the next (Joseph) Schooling, Loh Kean Yew or even Danelle Tan (female footballer), they will put the money where their mouth is.
"People losing faith is understandable because the results don't lie and the perceptions don't help," Mr Koh added.

WHAT THEY WANT TO SEE GOING FORWARD​

Quick fixes to a deep-seated issue may be in short supply, but one suggestion made by fans and pundits is that the national team should have trained together at an earlier stage, rather than be assembled nearing the date of the SEA Games.
The national team was assembled to train together just about two weeks before the SEA Games opener against Thailand. Before that, most of the players were still competing in SPL matches.
Mr Singh the former sports journalist said that this was in contrast to the other regional teams who trained together well in advance before the SEA Games.
"Is it still beneficial to have the Young Lions team in the SPL? I feel that there's a lack of focus and direction here... (The mindset of the players may be), ‘I have a major tournament coming up, but I also have SPL games to play’."
Mr Koh, the other football fan who edited a book on Singapore’s football scene titled Roar: Football Legends of Singapore, said that the decline of the men's team sits in contrast to the resurgence of the women's team over the last decade.
Given that there had been "significant periods" where the women were totally inactive in the game before 2016, the resurgence is down to a handful of schools being "committed to having girls playing football and the population base can grow further", he noted.

Mr Koh also observed a tenacity in the women's game that he does not see in the men's game at the moment.
"Unlike the men, the women — despite the lack of technique overall — show more tenacity and desire to play for the flag, especially against teams of a similar or slightly higher level," he added. "The qualities the women showed were what the men used to have until this generation of young players."
Mr Singh said that ultimately, FAS has to answer for the thrashing — and do it soon.
"The FAS needs to be accountable, and come out and say that this is unacceptable."
TODAY has reached out to FAS and its president Bernard Tan to seek comment on Thursday's defeat and what it plans to do in response to it.
Thursday's loss will haunt the football fraternity for a while yet. However, Mr Rai believes that it is not the worst that Singapore football has gone through in its history.

After all, the football at the SEA Games is still an age-group tournament, and not senior international football.
"I think we have had worst results at that level, for example, Singapore losing 4-0 to Malaysia during the Jan Poulsen era," he said, referring to when Singapore crashed out during the 2002 AFF Championship under the management of manager Jan Poulsen.
"We are paying the price for poor development practices previously and we deserve what we are getting right now, but that doesn’t mean things can’t change down the road for future batches," he added.
The Asean Football Federation (AFF) Championship has been variedly named over the decades in line with its title sponsors, known also in the early days as the Tiger Cup because of the sponsor.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Until this PAP fuckwit (also Kong Hee's famous lawyer) is removed, expect no improvements.

Consider this the necessary first step.

However, to dislodge vermins like him, first you need regime change. Because that's the nature of this regime. :cool:

NP_20210121_DSMCCY21A_6275201.jpg

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

SEA Games 2023: Singapore football needs to think ‘out of this world’, say observers​

IMGfootbal111S42A0HQ.jpg

Singapore's Under-22 football team were beaten 7-0 by Malaysia at the Cambodia SEA Games. PHOTO: Football Association of Singapore
Deepanraj Ganesan and David Lee

May 15, 2023

PHNOM PENH – If Singapore football is to get out of this current rut, it needs to think “out of this world” and make “drastic changes”, say local experts and observers.
Once again, the state of local football is under scrutiny after a catastrophic showing at the SEA Games, where the Young Lions did not win a single match, losing 3-1 to Thailand and Vietnam, 7-0 to Malaysia and drawing 0-0 with Laos to finish bottom of Group B.
The national Under-22 and U-23 teams last made the Games’ semi-finals in 2013, while the seniors have qualified for the last four of the Asean Football Federation Championship just once in the last decade.
In September 2021, former national defender R. Sasikumar moved his family to Spain and his two boys Kyen, 12, and Tylan, nine, are now playing regularly and contributing to their respective Atletico Madrid youth teams.
If Singapore can send its best pre-teen talents to Europe, it may have a chance of breeding winners, he said.
He added: “The India Under-17s are in Europe playing against the top youth teams in Spain and Germany. If India, who have a vibrant league but whose first sport is not football, can wake up to the idea that they cannot develop football in their own country, then why are we not doing it?”
Earlier, The Straits Times had reported that national football project Unleash The Roar! is looking to launch a football scholarship to send players aged 13 to 16 on long-term stints of up to three years at overseas academies that offer top-level training and competition, as well as quality education.

But Sasikumar feels there is a need to start them younger.
He added: “It is easier to shape their thinking in their formative years. We cannot wait until they are 15 or 16 because it may be harder to get them to change their habits, and they don’t have long before they need to enlist (for national service).”
This way, Singapore could create a new generation of players “with new mindsets, with new beliefs”.

SHOULD YOUNG LIONS STAY IN THE PRIDE?
There has been much debate on the Young Lions in the past decade, with supporters on both sides of the fence debating the pros and cons of the team remaining in the Singapore Premier League (SPL). The club is mainly a developmental side consisting of players who are undergoing NS and is managed by the Football Association of Singapore.
They have finished bottom of the league six times since they were inroduced in 2003, and were in the last two in seven of the last eight seasons.
Former SPL player Duncan Elias disagrees with the philosophy, stating that the club “cannot be a halfway house for players who are in NS.”
He added: “If you are not good enough and lose and lose, what have you proven at pro level when you reach 23 or 24 and exceed the age limit?”
Agreeing that the team should be abolished, Sasikumar said that their resources should be channelled to fund talented young players’ move overseas.
He said: “The statistics don’t lie. Losing is normalised for them, so how are we creating winners with the Young Lions? The FAS probably spend $2 million a year on the Young Lions. How many players can we keep in Europe for that money?”
Former Singapore goalkeeper Yakob Hashim, however, sits firmly in the camp that believes the Young Lions should stay as they still serve a purpose as a talent pool.
Aside from suggesting for the best young footballers to be paid decent salaries, he added: “Get young foreign talents whom you can groom and naturalise later – like what Home United did with Song Ui-young – and form a strong Young Lions team that can compete for the title.
“When you have 23 players in the Young Lions, you are also possibly opening up 23 slots for other young players for the clubs at senior level. Disbanding the Young Lions would at least halve this pool.”
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE?
The dismal performances of the Young Lions in Phnom Penh have triggered fans who vented their anger and frustrations on social media, with some calling for officials from the Football Association of Singapore (FAS) to be axed.
Some local football observers whom The Straits Times spoke to concurred that it is time to look at the appointments at every level of Singapore football and to ensure people of the right expertise are appointed for the right jobs.
Geylang International coach and former national winger Noor Ali pointed to Young Lions coach Philippe Aw, who had publicly blamed the current results on the mistakes from 10 years ago.
He said: “Losing is okay, but the way we lost is not okay. You (Aw) cannot be taking the job and then say things like that. Why take the team then? Moreover, he was also part of the system 10 years ago as National Football Academy coach.
“Philippe is a friend and whatever he has said is true. But don’t go into a competition with half the battle lost because you publicly suggest the team are not good enough and the players can read about it in the media.”
A coach has to instill the right mentality and belief in the team, just like Barry Whitbread did for Noor Ali and his team at the 1998 Tiger Cup, he added.
Others like Yakob laid the blame on the FAS’ management, stating that it is time for its executive council and general secretary to step aside.
Yakob said: “After Aide Iskandar led the Young Lions to a bronze in 2013 and stayed on for the 2015 Games, they kept changing the coach, sometimes at the last minute. There’s no continuity and stability and they keep making the same mistakes.
“It’s a failure on the part of the exco and the general secretary who make and execute the decisions. They have let us down so many times. If we have the same people there, we have no chance to succeed,” added the former international, who noted that there are qualified people who can take over.
Stressing that every strong football nation has failed before, Sasikumar also noted that “we are in a society where failure is frowned upon and people then avoid facing up to reality”.
He added: “If you are not up to it, step aside and hand the baton to someone with passion, domain expertise, knowledge and energy. Football is an industry now... If we have no culture and no industry, how can we expect our football to thrive?”
But former Hougang United coach Clement Teo, who now leads Cambodia’s Boueng Ket, fees that that the blame game is futile as everyone involved in Singapore football has a part to play in its success or failure.
WHAT’S NEXT?
With the UTR project underway, there is still hope at the end of the tunnel, as Teo urged fans and the fraternity to get behind the project and the FAS.
He added: “There are things in place to address some of the issues like the pipeline. I understand there is now talent identification from under-11s to under-16s, who will be put into a national development centre. They will play games, have more training during the week and grow.
“As Singaporeans, it’s not our culture to be patient, we always want to be No. 1. We have to see how we can improve and take steps towards doing well in regional age-group competitions before we look at senior tournaments.”
Sasikumar added: “It is not a bad thing to say we are rubbish. To solve the problem, you first have to recognise it. To fix this, we have to not take small measures but make drastic changes.”

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

SEA Games football review: FAS has gotten off on wrong foot with panel​

2023043065557221dsc0876_0.jpg

FAS announced that a panel has been formed to review the Young Lion’s performance at the SEA Games in Cambodia. ST PHOTO: DESMOND FOO
dl2.png

David Lee
Sports Correspondent

May 22, 2023

SINGAPORE – Already weary from the national Under-22s’ disastrous showing at the SEA Games and the subsequent backlash, the football fraternity was hit by another issue over the weekend.
On Saturday, Football Association of Singapore (FAS) acting president Bernard Tan announced that a panel has been formed to review the Young Lion’s performance at the recently-concluded Games in Cambodia.
He said the panel comprising former national coach Jita Singh and FAS council members Razali Saad, Lim Tong Hai and Harman Ali will be given four weeks to conduct the review. Their report will then be discussed in-house for two weeks, after which recommendations will be released publicly.
Tan also noted that the Young Lions will not participate in any international tournaments until the completion of the review, the implementation of the findings and when the authorities assess the team to be at a competitive level.
These developments have raised eyebrows and questions.
Firstly, Tan did not address how the panel was selected, as well as why it is largely made up of FAS council members. Despite pledging earlier that FAS “has always been open to engagement with stakeholders” and that “tough questions will be asked... and we will do this openly”, it remains to be seen if this was the case.
The only man among the quartet who is not from the FAS is Singh, a decorated coach. But the veteran’s success was in the 1980s when he led the Lions to the 1980 Malaysia Cup and SEA Games silver medals in 1983 and 1989 with senior teams.

After various postings, he returned to join the FAS in 2007 as head of grassroots development, and until 2014 oversaw other areas such as the now-defunct National Football Academy as well as club and junior centres of excellence. In the past 15 years, Singapore football has seen a sharp decline.
If the FAS truly wanted an independent critical analysis, there are sufficient internal and external options.
Why is its technical director Michael Browne not part of the panel? What about the likes of former Malaysia technical director and current Balestier Khalsa coach Peter de Roo, as well as home heroes and youth football experts who have gone through or worked in the system such as Kadir Yahaya, R. Sasikumar and Hariss Harun?

In The Straits Times’ analysis of what could be done to salvage the situation, most of the observers suggested getting the right people in for the right job.
After parachuting in Philippe Aw to coach the Young Lions and then giving him “time off” after the dreadful SEA Games campaign, it seems like the FAS has gotten off on the wrong foot again with the composition of its review panel.

The announcement of the Young Lions’ international competition suspension is equally baffling.
By Tan’s estimate, it would not take more than two months before the review recommendations are shared with the public. On a side note, we are still waiting for the review findings of the senior team’s Asean Football Federation Championship campaign that ended in early January.
This means these could be revealed in July, before the earliest international assignments for the Young Lions – the Under-23 Asian Cup qualifiers and Asian Games from September to October – kick off.
If they are allowed to play, the suspension would be moot as there are no tournaments during that period. If they don’t, then the FAS will appear to be punishing the team.
The national sports association could also be accused of not being a team player in the larger picture.
In a nod to national football project Unleash the Roar! (UTR), the Singapore National Olympic Council had approved the Young Lions’ selection for the upcoming Asian Games after excluding them from the 2018 edition as they had not met the sixth-placed benchmark from the previous Asiad.
Their selection is a show of solidarity to convince various stakeholders, especially aspiring footballers and their parents, that here is support from the authorities who are aligned with UTR and that football is a career worth pursuing.
The suspension not only leaves the Under-23 Asian Cup qualifiers and Asian Games participation hanging in the balance, but also undermines the work that FAS has done in identifying young talents for the various national age group teams.
Singapore football is hurting and rather than divide the fraternity with such decisions, the FAS and Tan must listen to its stakeholders and move forward together.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
form simi lanjeow panel? just fucking disband the soccer team. Look at where they r in the Ass-league. You tell me they are deserving to represent the cuntry?
now that we are stroking Anwar's cock, get back into Malaysia league, send one or two teams - one main, one backup, no more, and play in the M League. not only will we generate lots of gate revenue, we will definitely see improvement in the soccer level.
bring back those days of Malaysia cup days....

or go to the secondary schools and start identifying talents and start developing them. Forget about sending a soccer team to every competition. its vanity project to have a soccer team. We used to be strong in squash, after it went downhill, Sports Council disbanded it without much thoughts. Why can't we do the same for soccer?
if the team is not performing, disband it instead of it becoming a nation's joke.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You want to know what is the problem with Sinkie football, I have helpfully highlighted the part in bold.

If Singapore football is to get out of this current rut, it needs to think “out of this world” and make “drastic changes”, say local experts and observers.

Yeah, those bunch of jiakliaobees are part of the problem. They need to shut the fuck up. :cool:

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal

SEA Games football review: FAS has gotten off on wrong foot with panel​

2023043065557221dsc0876_0.jpg

FAS announced that a panel has been formed to review the Young Lion’s performance at the SEA Games in Cambodia. ST PHOTO: DESMOND FOO
dl2.png

David Lee
Sports Correspondent

May 22, 2023

SINGAPORE – Already weary from the national Under-22s’ disastrous showing at the SEA Games and the subsequent backlash, the football fraternity was hit by another issue over the weekend.
On Saturday, Football Association of Singapore (FAS) acting president Bernard Tan announced that a panel has been formed to review the Young Lion’s performance at the recently-concluded Games in Cambodia.
He said the panel comprising former national coach Jita Singh and FAS council members Razali Saad, Lim Tong Hai and Harman Ali will be given four weeks to conduct the review. Their report will then be discussed in-house for two weeks, after which recommendations will be released publicly.
Tan also noted that the Young Lions will not participate in any international tournaments until the completion of the review, the implementation of the findings and when the authorities assess the team to be at a competitive level.
These developments have raised eyebrows and questions.
Firstly, Tan did not address how the panel was selected, as well as why it is largely made up of FAS council members. Despite pledging earlier that FAS “has always been open to engagement with stakeholders” and that “tough questions will be asked... and we will do this openly”, it remains to be seen if this was the case.
The only man among the quartet who is not from the FAS is Singh, a decorated coach. But the veteran’s success was in the 1980s when he led the Lions to the 1980 Malaysia Cup and SEA Games silver medals in 1983 and 1989 with senior teams.

After various postings, he returned to join the FAS in 2007 as head of grassroots development, and until 2014 oversaw other areas such as the now-defunct National Football Academy as well as club and junior centres of excellence. In the past 15 years, Singapore football has seen a sharp decline.
If the FAS truly wanted an independent critical analysis, there are sufficient internal and external options.
Why is its technical director Michael Browne not part of the panel? What about the likes of former Malaysia technical director and current Balestier Khalsa coach Peter de Roo, as well as home heroes and youth football experts who have gone through or worked in the system such as Kadir Yahaya, R. Sasikumar and Hariss Harun?

In The Straits Times’ analysis of what could be done to salvage the situation, most of the observers suggested getting the right people in for the right job.
After parachuting in Philippe Aw to coach the Young Lions and then giving him “time off” after the dreadful SEA Games campaign, it seems like the FAS has gotten off on the wrong foot again with the composition of its review panel.

The announcement of the Young Lions’ international competition suspension is equally baffling.
By Tan’s estimate, it would not take more than two months before the review recommendations are shared with the public. On a side note, we are still waiting for the review findings of the senior team’s Asean Football Federation Championship campaign that ended in early January.
This means these could be revealed in July, before the earliest international assignments for the Young Lions – the Under-23 Asian Cup qualifiers and Asian Games from September to October – kick off.
If they are allowed to play, the suspension would be moot as there are no tournaments during that period. If they don’t, then the FAS will appear to be punishing the team.
The national sports association could also be accused of not being a team player in the larger picture.
In a nod to national football project Unleash the Roar! (UTR), the Singapore National Olympic Council had approved the Young Lions’ selection for the upcoming Asian Games after excluding them from the 2018 edition as they had not met the sixth-placed benchmark from the previous Asiad.
Their selection is a show of solidarity to convince various stakeholders, especially aspiring footballers and their parents, that here is support from the authorities who are aligned with UTR and that football is a career worth pursuing.
The suspension not only leaves the Under-23 Asian Cup qualifiers and Asian Games participation hanging in the balance, but also undermines the work that FAS has done in identifying young talents for the various national age group teams.
Singapore football is hurting and rather than divide the fraternity with such decisions, the FAS and Tan must listen to its stakeholders and move forward together.
Knn.
Banning these boys won't prove anything that the leadership is correct. It's going to get from bad to worse for these boys. It's just a stop gap measure , stop spending money and stop the negative news if the young lions become another laughing joke. It's to save the face of the FAS Top brass.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
The few guys on top of FAS drawing a few hundred $ thousand dollar annually a year should just voluntarily give up their seat and let better guys take over.