• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singapore has a quality of life that's hard to beat!

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Think twice before you consider leaving your Island Paradise.:p

ST Forum

Home > ST Forum > Online Story

Feb 17, 2010

Quality of life that's hard to beat
<!-- end left side bar --> <!-- story content : start -->
I REFER to last Saturday's letter by Ms Maureen Pollard, "Ex-citizen's regret: Missing Singapore".

I can understand Ms Pollard's longing for family and friends in Singapore and for the quality of life Singapore offers its people. This quality of life must be hard to beat even if one emigrates to a developed country.

Giving up Singapore citizenship is a serious matter and, apparently, there is no turning back.

I have been told that there are many cases of Singaporeans who have emigrated to other countries and have regretted their decision to leave because they have suffered discrimination and are treated like second-class citizens in the country of their choice.

I think we should appreciate the quality of life that we enjoy in Singapore and be thankful for what we have.

William Jansen

IR123

Alfrescian
Loyal
I like the subtlety of the argument: the letter was written by Ms Mauren Pollard.

A caucasian who regrets migrating from singapore.

A caucasian who is an ex-citizen.

And now another letter by a William Jansen.

Truly Singapore has loyal FTs.

IR123

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have been told that there are many cases of Singaporeans who have emigrated to other countries and have regretted their decision to leave because they have suffered discrimination and are treated like second-class citizens in the country of their choice.

I personally knew a number of Singaporeans who will never want to return to Singapore and who had never regretted their decision to leave.They no longer consider themselves as Singaporeans but declare proudly they are citizens of their new country.

Besides I have been told that there are many cases of Singaporeans who felt they are second-class citizens in their country of birth.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Both are not caucasians. William Jansen is an Indian/ceyon burgher. Dark Eurasians carrying western names have difficulty being accepted as they are mistaken for mix aboriginals (not true aborginals). The mix blood aboriginals have a history of troubler and occupy th worst suburbs. The true aboriginals are not much of an issue.

Asians have little problems in 1st world countries. Many have entered politics, have become governors, mayors etc.

I like the subtlety of the argument: the letter was written by Ms Mauren Pollard.

IR123

Alfrescian
Loyal
Both are not caucasians. William Jansen is an Indian/ceyon burgher. Dark Eurasians carrying western names have difficulty being accepted as they are mistaken for mix aboriginals (not true aborginals). The mix blood aboriginals have a history of troubler and occupy th worst suburbs. The true aboriginals are not much of an issue.

Asians have little problems in 1st world countries. Many have entered politics, have become governors, mayors etc.

Thanks for the clarification.

I was suspecting a catch somewhere.

Last edited:

littlefish

Alfrescian
Loyal
You only get treated as second-class if you allow yourself to be treated as second-class, like in SG, where the stupid allow themselves to be trampled on by those just slightly less stupid. The elite has a vested interest in dumbing down the locals, hence the need to control the various media outlets.

There is still hope if you are poor but if you are stupid, there is no cure. In SG, it is easy to climb to the top as long as you are just a little less stupid than the masses. Witness how those who made monumental errors of judgement like losing billions or letting a terrorist escape are still ensconced in their jobs.

Before shouting discrimination in other countries, you need to ask yourself what have you brought to the table? If you have brought nothing, why should others welcome you with open arms like in SG? For guys, it is a real slap in the face to have served NS and still face discrimination (racial, social class, gender, age, job, etc) in your birth country.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You only get treated as second-class if you allow yourself to be treated as second-class, like in SG, where the stupid allow themselves to be trampled on by those just slightly less stupid. The elite has a vested interest in dumbing down the locals, hence the need to control the various media outlets.

For guys, it is a real slap in the face to have served NS and still face discrimination (racial, social class, gender, age, job, etc) in your birth country.

Singapore life - why do I want to be boxed in by the system again?

I just checked DBS Savings Interest Rates: 0.25% and Singapore Inflation rate:6.5%. (http://www.singstat.gov.sg/stats/keyind.html)

Home Ownership Rate: 90.1%

I must say, Singapore life is indeed better or my name is not William Jansen.

redbull313

Alfrescian
Loyal

ST Forum

Feb 17, 2010

I REFER to last Saturday's letter by Ms Maureen Pollard, "Ex-citizen's regret: Missing Singapore".

I can understand Ms Pollard's longing for family and friends in Singapore and for the quality of life Singapore offers its people. This quality of life must be hard to beat even if one emigrates to a developed country.

Giving up Singapore citizenship is a serious matter and, apparently, there is no turning back.

I think we should appreciate the quality of life that we enjoy in Singapore and be thankful for what we have.

William Jansen

What a load of crap. Quality of life? Where? If I wanted to go back I could apply for an EP and then a PR but why in the world would I want to?

There is no turning back? From what?

Is this guy for real?

southwest

Alfrescian
Loyal

William Jansen, caucasian? Sure.

Mauren Pollard, caucasian? Maybe, maybe not. She could be that sinkie chink who married ang moh and take her husband's family name :biggrin:

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal

ST Forum

Feb 17, 2010

William Jansen

Likewise, many FTs living in Spore have left for greener pasture elsewhere or go back home, because they are treated as second-class citizens or feel disriminated?

Sigh..never ending story.