• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singapore claws back at pet cat ban

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
Asia Times | Singapore claws back at pet cat ban
www.asiatimes.com

Singapore-Cats-1-Nile-Bowie-900x540.jpg

Thara Jeyaraman has plenty of mouths to feed. Around 60, to be exact.

The 50-year-old Singaporean has fostered animals since 2003 and provides twice-daily meals to dozens of community cats in the city-state.

As a registered animal caregiver, she works to sterilize and neuter strays, boarding them in her own home before releasing them back to the housing estates from where they were picked up.

At any one time, there are about 20 cats lodging in her five-room unit. Technically, though, the presence of even a single cat in her home runs afoul of the law.

More than 80% of Singapore’s population live in public housing units, or Housing Development Board (HDB) flats, which have long prohibited keeping cats as pets. According to regulations, residents are permitted to own a dog provided that it belongs to one of 62 HDB-approved breeds.

A variety of small animals from hamsters and guinea pigs to turtles, tree frogs, birds and even chinchillas are permitted as long as they are legally imported. Felines of any breed, however, are not.

“Cats are not allowed in flats. They are generally difficult to contain within the flat,” reads a disclaimer on the HDB’s website. “When allowed to roam indiscriminately, they tend to shed fur and defecate or urinate in public areas, and also make caterwauling sounds, which can inconvenience your neighbors.”

In practice, though, the HDB rarely enforces its ban on cat ownership and flat-dwellers across Singapore keep pet cats at home without much fuss.

Singapore-Cats-3-Nile-Bowie-e1568967709333.jpg

A community cat watches passers-by from the void deck of a Singapore Housing Development Board (HDB) bloc in Ang Mo Kio. Photo: Nile Bowie

“Usually, if the cat is kept within the confines of your house, there is no issue,” said Jeyaraman. “The problem only starts when you allow your cats to roam beyond your door.”

Animal welfare groups have kept up calls for rescinding the cat ban, which they claim is not based on reasonable arguments and represents a double standard. Pet owners and activists hope the ban will be replaced with a regulatory regime that would make sterilization, microchipping and registration mandatory for cats, similar to the rules in place for dogs.

Cat abandonment cases are reportedly on the rise in Singapore and advocates say microchipping is the most effective way to make ownership traceable and strengthen accountability.

But some cat owners living in HDB flats are said to be hesitant to microchip and register their animals for fear of being served a rehoming notice calling on them to remove their pets from the premises.

“Our community cats are microchipped when sterilized under the Stray Cat Sterilization Program which makes them traceable to specific areas. We do not have a similar level of accountability for pet cats,” said Thenuga Vijakumar, president of the Cat Welfare Society (CWS), an advocacy group that works with authorities as a third-party mediator for cat-related issues.

“Microchipping and registration of pet cats is necessary for accountability and to ensure cat owners are responsible, but this will require cat owners to provide their home addresses, which is a deterrent in itself,” she told Asia Times.

This year has seen a record high of cat abandonment cases according to CWS’ latest annual report, which described the uptick as a consequence of the group axing its own low-cost sterilization scheme due to a lack of funds. The group had sterilized over 1,000 cats from low-income homes to help tackle overpopulation and reduce rates of abandonment.

Vijakumar said abandonment can be tied to factors such as a rise in black market sales of pedigree cats by unlicensed home breeders, transactions that usually take place online through platforms such as Facebook, Gumtree and Craigslist. Sickly and unsold cats run a higher risk of being abandoned and are usually let loose unsterilized, say advocates.

Singapore-Cats-Housing-Development-Authority-Nile-Bowie-e1568967989552.jpg
Tipped ear of the pictured cat indicates that the animal has been sterilized in Singapore. Photo: Nile Bowie

CWS, which is largely donation-funded, has just two full-time staff and 23 volunteers, but it still managed to sterilize 6,239 cats in 2018, an average of 17 per day. The group handled some 3,000 mediation cases last year involving cat-related disputes between neighbors and cases where cat owners are served with rehoming notices from the HDB.

When a cat-related complaint is made, the offending resident could receive a letter from authorities compelling them to remove their feline pets or face fines.

Complaints are usually lodged against irresponsible owners who let their animals roam freely or practice poor hygiene when cats are kept indoors. Others, however, are model cat keepers.

“We fight for responsible owners to be able to keep their pet cats. We mediate matters between cat owners and other residents or authorities to ensure that pet and community cats do not cause a nuisance,” Vijakumar said.

CWS held nearly two dozen adoption drives last year and it requires prospective owners to sterilize their cats and ensure they are kept strictly indoors.

It’s not just animal activists pushing for change. Chong Pang, a housing estate in the town of Yishun, is a test case for what legalized cat ownership in Singapore could look like. HDB households in the area are permitted to keep one pet cat as part of pilot program launched in 2012 known as the Love Cats initiative.

The program – which requires cats to be sterilized, microchipped and kept indoors – was spearheaded by CWS and maverick parliamentarian Louis Ng, who was then a volunteer in the constituency. He has served the area as an elected representative since 2015 and is actively pushing for the pilot program to be expanded elsewhere.
“It’s time to see whether this decades-old policy can be shifted,” he told Asia Times in reference to the HDB’s cat ownership ban. “We’re taking one step forward first, which is microchipping and the second step forward would be expanding the Love Cats pilot program. It’s a chicken and egg,” said Ng.

“We’ve launched it in one area to see if it works, and so far, it’s been positive. I’m hoping it expands to a few more areas first before we nationalize it,” he said
Once a combative animal rights activist, Ng joined politics after receiving encouragement from Law and Home Affairs Minister K Shanmugam, who he credits with advancing animal advocacy in Singapore. The Love Cats initiative, he said, is an example of how a collaborative approach to policy and legislative reform can achieve results.

Singapore-Justice-Minister-Cats-4-Facebook-e1568968305434.jpg
Singapore’s Law and Home Affairs Minister K Shanmugam holding a cat in a file photo. Photo: Facebook

“It took a minister [Shanmugam] who was passionate about this issue, us opening our ears to listen and working with agencies to make the changes. If you get to a stage where government and civil society can work closely together, I think we can move ahead much faster than each one going separate ways,” he said.

While the Love Cats program had been widely welcomed by animal advocates when it was launched seven years ago, many expected the initiative would by now be extended to other estates. In an interview with Asia Times, Shanmugam said both the HDB and the Ministry of National Development (MND) were actively reviewing the issue.

When asked about the barriers to a wider roll-out of the program, the minister acknowledged that the initiative – which had subsidized the veterinary fees for cat sterilization and provided a grant to CWS to facilitate the program – is costly and requires further ground-level engagement with communities.

“If you look at most people in HDB estates, they are neither pro-animal or anti-animal. A large majority of them really have no interaction with animals as such. And these are not rental properties, which are sort of situated with a bit of distance from each other. They are all very closely linked to each other,” he said.

While the minister stressed that the majority of cat owners and feeders do no wrong, he said that a small number “have not been responsible”, creating disamenities for the rest of the community. “That has been the challenge in getting the mainstream the majority to accept, for example, the ownership of cats in the community and HDB units.

“It’s not something that can be solved with a magic wand. You’ve got to educate the population at large for greater acceptance and tolerance, which we have been trying to do and are publicizing it. That has played itself out with dogs,” Shanmugam said. “Cats, I think, hopefully, will come next.”

Singapore-Cats-2-Nile-Bowie-e1568968414884.jpg
Wire meshing (pictured) is used on windows and grills of public housing units to ensure domesticated cats are secured indoors. Photo: Nile Bowie

Feline-friendly policy changes would be music to the ears of caregivers like Jeyaraman. She wants to see microchipping for domesticated cats made mandatory and the establishment of an owner registry. The veteran animal fosterer also wants tougher penalties meted out against errant owners who abandon their pets.

“As caregivers to the community cats, every year we face problems of multiple abandonments that we have to take on. We have to use our own money to sterilize the cats and release them back into the community. Feeding is a daily thing and you have to fork out money for that,” she said.

“It does take a large chunk out of your salary. Most of my salary goes to them and quite a bit of my savings goes to them, too.”

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
The cat look terrified.
Blackie aside, I like community cats. :biggrin:
There's a cat in a nearby Hdb estate where I have breakfast almost every morning, and I would make sure I detour to his favourite sleeping grass patch to say hi to her. I call her Momo and I would pat her if she's awake. If she's sleeping, I would just say Hello Momo and feels glad that she's doing well :biggrin: It keeps me sane :biggrin:

Valium

Alfrescian
Loyal
Blackie aside, I like community cats. :biggrin:
There's a cat in a nearby Hdb estate where I have breakfast almost every morning, and I would make sure I detour to his favourite sleeping grass patch to say hi to her. I call her Momo and I would pat her if she's awake. If she's sleeping, I would just say Hello Momo and feels glad that she's doing well :biggrin: It keeps me sane :biggrin:

Bring her home for more pats.

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
6 Reasons Why Cats Make Great Pets
2 of 8
Reason #2 Why Cats Make Great Pets: Felines Love to Play
Photo by Chris Winsor / Getty Images
Cats don’t need a ton of bells and whistles to be entertained. Apart from string toys (they bring out the preying personality in them), cats gravitate towards laser pointers. You’ll be surprised how following a red dot on the floor and walls around your home can keep them running around. Catnip is also great for cats and considerably enjoyable. “It’s no secret that most cats—about 60%, carry the ‘catnip gene’—so purchasing a toy that has catnip inside will keep them playing and rolling around,” Delgado says.
3 of 8
Reason #3 Why Cats Make Great Pets: Purrs Make Humans Happy
Photo courtesy of Rover
There’s just something about a purr from a cat that makes others feel warm and fuzzy. If your kitty rubs up against you and purrs while you pet him or makes biscuits (a.k.a. kneads) it means he feels a deep attachment and comfort towards you. Some like to think their purrs mean ‘I love you’, and who doesn’t like the sound of that?
4 of 8
Reason #4 Why Cats Make Great Pets: No Litter Box Training is Required
Photo by Getty Images
Because of their instinctive behavior, Delgado says it is relatively easy for cats to be trained to use a litter-box. Unlike having to take a dog outside for daily bathroom breaks, a litter-box is all you need to get your cat to release himself. You do have to make sure the litter-box is kept clean and it is set up properly so your cat can get in out of it without any problems.
5 of 8
Reason #5 Why Cats Make Great Pets: They Groom Themselves (for the Most Part)
Photo by Getty Images
It’s safe to say that cats care deeply about their personal hygiene. Just like hunting for prey, Delgado says that grooming themselves is also an instinctive behavior. Their tongues have small barbs that help remove dirt and debris from their fur and it helps distribute their skin’s naturals oils. However, if you opt for a long-haired kitty, they may require additional grooming at home with a brush. As for baths, unless they get really dirty, they aren’t necessarily required.
6 of 8
Reason #6 Why Cats Make Great Pets: They Can Learn New Tricks
Photo courtesy of Rover
Don’t leave all of the tricks to man’s best friend. Contrary to popular belief, with some dedication and patience, cats can learn easy tricks. It’s all about positive reinforcement! You can train kittens to sit, come to you when they are called, and even how to high-five (here’s a quick lesson). Treats are a good incentive so you can reward them as you teach them.
Advertisement
7 of 8
Reason #7 Why Cats Make Great Pets: “Me Time” is A-OK
Photo by Getty Images
Back to that anti-social myth: Delgado reassures us that many cats do enjoy the company of other humans and other pets, even though they may at times want their alone time, meaning they won’t require your attention at every minute of every day. When they do want time for themselves, it’s a good idea to have a spot in your home where they can retreat to.

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No lah.. I always believe that cats like freedom and will not be heypi in an enclosed environment. Further, there's always a danger of them committing accidental suicide if I leave my windows open...

Mesh ur window. But mine i just leave my window 3/4 closed. Inconvenience though but for me having such pets at home is a boon. :smile:

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
No lah.. I always believe that cats like freedom and will not be heypi in an enclosed environment. Further, there's always a danger of them committing accidental suicide if I leave my windows open...
Nothing wrong with indoor cats. Ang mor lands encourage cat owners to keep cats indoors. Safer for the cat