• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singapore Cannot Lose 新加坡输不起

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
moulmeinkallang.jpg

Singapore Cannot Lose 新加坡输不起

There are a lot of comments on my previous post on Friendship and Politics. Terrence from New Nation has even written a pretty critical article on my blog post. I have made a comment on his article as well.

How opposition parties contest is an important National issue because at this stage, it involves the critical development of the Nation's political landscape for Post-LKY era.

There are a few points I would like to put forward which I believe represent the aspiration and expectation of Singapore voters at large:

1) Singaporeans want to have credible opposition MPs in parliament
2) Singaporeans want opposition to win at least 1 GRC so to put pressures on PAP
3) Singaporeans do not wish to see 3 corner fights especially for GRCs.
4) Singaporeans want to vote, wish to see as many seats contested as possible.

Many people have mistakenly perceived my previous blog post as "attacking" fellow opposition party WP. Those who have met me during my ground work would know very well, whenever I meet people staying in Aljunied or East Coast GRCs, I would naturally encourage them to vote WP. How would I be attacking a party which I promote?

As I have explained to Terrence of New Nation, when I wrote that blog post, I was writing as a normal person, not a politician. It was true feelings that I have expressed which includes my frustrations of how things went wrong.

As I have mentioned, I regard Mr. Low Thia Khiang very highly as my political mentor while I was still with WP. Even till now, I would still respect him as my political mentor. I believe he too has the soft spot for his ex-student like me when he said he has given up WP's "first choice" because he knows I am going to contest there. Thus, WP chose Moulmein Kallang as the target for its expansion plan.

However that is really the crux of the problem.

I think most people really think too much of my blog post. The Zaobao reporter actually thinks that I am hinting WP is trying to block NSP because NSP is becoming a "threat" to its position. That is just that bit too far off. The truth is, when the space within the eastern corridor is so packed, two opposition parties enjoying growth will definitely face each other in a situation of 3 corner fight if they don't want to move towards the "untested" territory in the WEST.

NSP has done its part. Although NSP has generally been contesting and working the ground in the eastern corridors like Tampines and Jalan Besar (which is now split into Moulmein Kallang and Whampao), in order to avoid clashes with WP, we have started our expansion plan in the wild wild west, Jurong GRC which was not contested in 2006. We have tried to avoid WP's traditional ground like Aljunied and East Coast.

The clash of 3 corner fight is inevitable because unfortunately WP has taken up a totally different strategic approach from NSP. WP chose to stay put and expand in the eastern corridors which inevitably step into "traditional turfs" like NSP's Jalan Besar. Mr. Low Thia Khiang has even indicated that WP's first choice was Tampines.

That is why I say I would understand why it is inevitable that both WP and NSP will end up with 3 corner fights, in the eastern corridor.

In both NSP's and WP's perspectives, the mid-eastern part of Singapore would have more "fertile political land" basically because most parts in this area has been contested in past GEs. Consistent GE contests would naturally improve political awareness and consciousness of voters.

When good people like Tony Tan and Hazel have shown interests to join NSP and contest in the coming General Elections, as the co-leader of NSP, it is my duty to make sure that they will get a reasonably good fertile ground to work on.

In order to protect Tony and Hazel's team from 3 corner fight in Moulmein Kallang, I have even offered their team to stand in Tampines but both of them have declined the offer immediately citing the reason that I have worked so hard on the minister-specific strategy on Minister Mah for so long and I should stay put there. They decided to contest Moulmein Kallang instead, which is the other ground which NSP has worked on consistently for the past decade.

I believe that both WP and NSP are responsible and credible opposition parties which would make due considerations in terms of national interests to avoid 3 corner fight in Moulmein Kallang GRC in the spirit of trying to enhance Singapore's political landscape by trying to send good and credible people into parliament. This could only happen if and only if we could provide them a reasonable good fertile ground to work on.

It would be sad if both WP and NSP have two teams of good people clashing in a 3 corner fight. This is especially so when there are other constituencies like Sembawang GRC which will go uncontested for the coming GE. NSP has done its part in deciding that the team which is supposed to contest in Nee Soon GRC would be withdrawn from there to be deployed somewhere else.

Any opposition parties, including NSP, could afford to lose elections, but Singapore cannot afford to lose, to lose the opportunity to send in good and credible people into parliament. I just hope that in the coming days, the negotiation will have fruitful outcome that will serve the Nation's interests as a whole.

Goh Meng Seng

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
This is getting very obscene. Instead of pursuing the matter with WP in private you still continue to make public all your pouting and whining.

Firstly, if you have to keep telling other people you are not attacking WP, trust me, you actually are. Who are you trying to convince anyway? People who read your blog posting aren't going to read between the lines or figure you out piece by piece. All they are going to see is an angry man who has resorted to reviving matters concerning friendships, party loyalties, to paint himself as a victim of circumstances. Your blog post is pretty self-serving.

Once again, you paint yourself as trying to be Mr Nice Guy, protecting your own team members Tony & Hazel from the devilish WP. I've seen this behaviour in childrens' playground before, when the teacher wants to punish a kid for getting into a fight. Somehow the kid will always say he was trying to protect his friend from getting into a 3 corner fight with a bunch of bullies.

If you are really so noble and forward looking, give up M-K and expand into the west side where WP has not tread before. Your NSP cannot match them in terms of numbers -- and if I may say, party standing, quality of candidates, and credibility. The honourable thing is to do what a smaller party should -- back off and concentrate your focus on your key areas like Tampines where you already have a good headstart.

And don't talk to us about logistics problems. If you want your party to be taken seriously, you've got to stop belittling your readers. And stop acting like that kid who is about to get a caning. Just grow up and admit you are as much as a bully as you allege WP to be.

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
As I have explained to Terrence of New Nation, when I wrote that blog post, I was writing as a normal person, not a politician.

Eh, MGEN (minus 6 ranks) Goh Meng Seng which planet were you born on? The light of public opinion never stops shining on a politician!

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Eh! first left Ah Neh bery dark can only see his teeth and two white eyes. On stage better put more powerful lights so can see Ah Neh face expression (see if he twitted with lies or not when talking).

2nd left got rabbit type front teeth with big bums and flat airport runway.

3rd one looks a bit silly and has a funny face to tell jokes to make people laugh.

4th one face like a bull dog, probably Hainan kia or Cantonese pimp look. Face good for acting pai kia role.

5th one face look like school boy still under puberty. look like someone you can easily bully and staff him into a big wheelie waste bin.

2nd last one has Bt Timah hill boobs and with potential for growth to be Mount Everest if nuture properly.

Last one like just completed 'O' level and looking to be slammed by people from the back joining politics. Maybe fit to be receptionist type in office look. Her boobs look like ready for marriage and breast feed her babies.

gbomega

Alfrescian
Loyal
Opposition members jumping like frogs from one party to another, doesn't give the impression of confidence and commitment.

Ilovelamb

Alfrescian
Loyal
BACK in the good’ol days when Singapore football actually meant something, you wouldn’t see Fandi Ahmad tackle Sundramoorthy on the pitch, even if the opponent were minnows. In fact, underdogs often raise their game when facing a far superior team.

Which makes the recent catfight between the National Solidarity Party and Worker’s Party all the more mind-boggling.

It seems that the People Action’s Party (PAP) was forgotten the week after the new electoral boundaries were made known, despite being the fattest sumo wrestler in the ring, and the most dazzling (or the most kayu) football player on the field.

Instead, you get a silly blog post by NSP Secretary-General Goh Meng Seng criticising the Worker’s Party and its arrogance, to which Low Thia Khiang, his counterpart at the WP, rebutted in Lianhe Zaobao.

Meng Seng, fresh off a press conference on Thursday when he announced NSP’s slate of candidates for Moulmein-Kallang GRC, is unapologetic.

“It’s just an emotional, sentimental post. But people mistaken it as an attack. It’s not.”

Really? Even when you said they have “lost sight” of their mission, or that they are thumbing down on other parties? Even when you insinuate that they are “arrogant”?

He continues: “When you speak your mind of course it’s going to be critical. If I don’t speak my mind I’m a politician. But when I write I’m not a politician, I’m a human.”

What shall I call you then? Uncle Meng Seng? Pops? Granddaddy? Koyok Seller?

So, here’s a veteran politician pretending to be a ranty emo-kid with a personal blog-plaything. He waved away my suggestion that he was trying to use his blog to pressure the WP to give up Moulmein-Kallang. Shrewd politician? Or am I giving him too much credit?

The usually smooth auntie-killer also trips himself up by saying: “There’s nothing (in the blog post that’s) critical about anybody. It’s just a very emotional piece. There’s nothing to do with arguing who’s right and who’s wrong.”

I rest my case.

The Opposition should start doing what they do best: Whack the PAP! Say anything, like how the Prime Minister is a pig, or how Lee Kuan Yew should go to a retirement village!

But let’s give Secretary-General Sir credit where it’s due. His party is the first to officially announce their candidates at any constituency, beating even the PAP. He has managed to attract credible candidates who left the Reform Party, which indicates some semblance of leadership ability.

His experience probably helped. While Reform Party Secretary-General Kenneth Jeyaretnam comes across as a true noob with poor media management skills, Meng Seng appears slightly better.

He has another thing going for him: He looks like someone you can talk to. He’s not as dashing as PAP man Michael Palmer, but he’s cute, in a cuddly Teddy Bear kind of way. He’s the uncle who sips kopi downstairs, Wanbao in hand. About as heartlander as you can get.

Ah Seng’s certainly someone who seems down-to-earth, or at least gives that impression. Kenneth on the other hand, seems like the opposite: He uses his poker face and impressive qualifications to hide his political inexperience.

But as much of a veteran as he is, I think the blog post is ill-timed and poorly conceived; a symptom of a deep-rooted problem within the opposition camp: Rampant egos. Calculated move or not, there is no room in politics for undisciplined emotional outbursts. It distracts both opposition parties from the real fight against the ruling party. It gives the impression of a fractured Opposition. It could be a tool used by the PAP against him.

And there’s no guarantee WP will be pressured to give up Moulmein-Kallang, despite NSP’s shenanigans and media posturing. Which means we could be headed for a three-way fight.

In fact, both parties seem to be so focused on their petty squabbles that they literally ignored PM Lee Hsien Loong’s recent jibe: “It seems to me rather exciting day-to-day changes, transformations, quarrels, squabbles, new friendships and old enmities all surfacing at the same time. I look forward to the next installment.”

Perhaps opposition members are suffering from guilty conscience. So I related my concern to a person within the NSP. And guessed what he told me? Be patient. Sure, you can tell me that, but try saying it to the thousands of first-time voters who have watched every episode of this oddball family drama, and who actually appreciate what the government has done for them so far, despite the rising costs of living. Voters are not stupid.

But as far as I’m concerned, there’s still time to get their act together.

The Opposition should start doing what they do best: Whack the PAP! Say anything, like how the Prime Minister is a pig, or how Lee Kuan Yew should go to a retirement village!

Anything but criticise your fellow opposition member in public, and pass it off as a touchy-feely moment. Even Singapore Democratic Party man James Gomez’s horrible piece on how Singapore will experience a revolution akin to the Middle East will suffice, although it sounds like empty election rhetoric that signals how out-of-touch with the ground he may be.

Yes, I’m that desperate.

http://newnation.sg/2011/03/message-...whack-the-pap/

commoner

Alfrescian
Loyal
GMS wife in HK, no one to do washing

Tony Tan wife teaching in tuition centre, no time to wash

Ah Neh and Tua Pui, don't know their story yet,,,,,

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
As I have explained to Terrence of New Nation, when I wrote that blog post, I was writing as a normal person, not a politician. It was true feelings that I have expressed which includes my frustrations of how things went wrong.

Goh Meng Seng

There is no such thing as switching between your role as politician and normal person. People will judge your words and action as a politician no matter how you see.

if you don't blow the matter out in public then there will be no need for you to make clarification here.

I doubt your intelligent as a politician.

jw5

Loyal
Pants not washed or ironed still ok. Hope they did wash and changed their underwears.
Someone should advise them not to wear light coloured cotton pants.
Looks creased if not ironed, and if never flick properly after pang jio, can see wet wet down there. :o :biggrin:

KuanTi01

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Politicians should take more care in the way they talk and carry themselves. They are very much in the public eye! As for GMS's claim that he had written in his blog-post as a normal friend rather than as a politician, let me just say that it comes across as an afterthought!:rolleyes: Once a politician always a politician. It's easier for the public, you see. They don't want to rack their brains trying to figure out whether you are GMS the politician, (Sec-gen some more) or GMS in some other unfamiliar capacity. Simple as that!:biggrin::biggrin: