• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singapore-born teen discovers tree pulp's anti-ageing benefits

exobay

Alfrescian
Loyal
OTTAWA (AFP) - A Singapore-born teenager who recently moved to Canada won a national science award on Tuesday for her groundbreaking work on the anti-ageing properties of tree pulp, officials said.

Janelle Tam, 16, won the US$5,000 (S$6,240) award in the 2012 Sanofi BioGENEius Challenge Canada for showing that cellulose, the woody material found in trees that enables them to stand, also acts as a potent anti-oxidant.
'Her super anti-oxidant compound could one day help improve health and anti-ageing products by neutralising more of the harmful free-radicals found in the body,' Bioscience Education Canada said in a statement.

Tam's work involved tiny particles in the tree pulp known as nano-crystalline cellulose (NCC), which is flexible, durable, and also stronger than steel.

[h=5]TO READ THE FULL STORY...[/h]Log in Subscribe

http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_796894.html

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
so sinkies indeed do have creativity ...its just that the environment here inhibits them. Good show. Sinkie ay sai. :smile:

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
so sinkies indeed do have creativity ...its just that the environment here inhibits them. Good show. Sinkie ay sai. :smile:

Yes brother. If he had stayed in Singapore and started playing with trees, the relatives would have refered him to IMH.

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
understood....what i meant was that if she had continued here there would be little chance of this success story happening. Conditions are too stifling here. Uniformity and conformity being the order of the day.
FTs are imported and counted on to bring in the creativity...whether most of them do or not is another story.

Ex-sinkie now. She has left already as Singapore prefer FT's.

Last edited:

exobay

Alfrescian
Loyal
understood....what i meant was that if she had continued here there would be little chance of this success story happening. Conditions are too stifling here. Uniformity and conformity being the order of the day.
FTs are imported and counted on to bring in the creativity...whether most of them do or not is another story.

Sad that she could possibly be the one to put Singapore on the world map.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
See... I am right again. When a person stays away from sinkie and sinkieland. The person will shine.
This is the real life example of the effect of unsinkification.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
See... I am right again. When a person stays away from sinkie and sinkieland. The person will shine.

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
no need to make your point by double posting la..we hear you everytime the first time. Cheong hei kwai

Borat

Alfrescian
Loyal
Poor Singapore, now all it can do is bask in reflected glory, can now only say "Singapore-born teenager" instead of Singaporean. How much is her worth compared to a team of ping pong players winning the Championship?

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
wonder what motivated the move from sinkiepoor

Poor Singapore, now all it can do is bask in reflected glory, can now only say "Singapore-born teenager" instead of Singaporean. How much is her worth compared to a team of ping pong players winning the Championship?

Borat

Alfrescian
Loyal
wonder what motivated the move from sinkiepoor

I wonder too, perhaps her family became citizens there and she graduated in Canada.

Anyway, China also can say the same thing. China-born Singapore players won the World Table Tennis Championship against the opposing China team.:(

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
damn shy...wholesale import...so visible some more.

I wonder too, perhaps her family became citizens there and she graduated in Canada.

Anyway, China also can say the same thing. China-born Singapore players won the World Table Tennis Championship against the opposing China team.:(