• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singapore Bonds

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I don't do bonds but own equities which pay out dividends. I have Apple shares which pay out dividends.
There are few companies like Apple which are very profitable & doing buy backs which reduce the number of outstanding Apple shares.

In todays CNBC I saw the following on how to pick dividend stocks. Interestingly Apple only receives a rating of 4 out of 5:confused: Some may find it useful but decide for yourself:smile:

Suggest you visit the site because it has many graphics & embedded movie clips & I am only pasting the text. The gist is that those that received a high rating are the following:

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/06/07/how-to-pick-winning-dividends.html

How to pick winning dividends

Metrics can tell us which companies will keep paying their dividends, but not necessarily which ones will fail.

Mark Fahey | @marktfahey

It's one thing for a stock to have a good dividend, and another to know that it's going to be around in a year.

Commonly used metrics like the dividend payout ratio — the percentage of earnings paid as dividends — aren't very good at identifying whether individual dividends will disappear. But they can help investors pick out a handful of companies that will almost certainly not cut their dividends, according to a CNBC analysis.

One in five companies in the S&P 500 have unhealthy payout ratios above 100 percent, but fewer than 20 percent will end up cutting their dividends in a given year or the next year. More of those at-risk companies will actually raise their dividends.

On the other hand, companies with healthy payout ratios are much less likely to cut dividends and usually raise them, which was true even during the last recession. That means companies with healthier ratios probably will continue paying during a worst-case market scenario.

An even stronger method for predicting which dividends will increase is the DIVCON rating system developed by Reality Shares Advisors. Like the military's DEFCON system, a lower score means a dividend is riskier. The model predicts dividend actions based on seven factors (but not the dividend payout ratio), and it has a very strong track record.

In backtesting, companies with the healthiest rating (DIVCON-5) have raised their dividend 97 percent of the time, and have never decreased them. But the system has a similar weakness in predicting which companies will reduce dividends. They are the ones with the worst rating (DIVCON-1) only decreased their dividends 30 percent of the time.

Here are the biggest companies in each rating category:

Investors want a high yield on their investment in dividend stocks, but the companies with the highest yields often have some of the worst DIVCON scores and payout ratios. Those inevstors can make the mistake of buying dividend stocks based on yield or a company's well-known name without taking into account the risk of a dividend reduction.

"Just because they're a well-known name doesn't mean that they have the healthiest dividend or the best dividend if you combine that information with yield and other factors," said Kian Salehizadeh, senior analyst at Reality Shares.

The best DIVCON-rated companies like Southwest Airlines and Nike may be safe bets, but they pay relatively low yields. It's possible to get both above-average yields and the security of a dividend that's going to stick around for a while. Below are companies that have it all: low payout ratios, DIVCON 5 ratings and high dividend yields.

Measuring the riskiness of dividends is also one way to look at the market as a whole. Payout ratios and DIVCON scores are generally loosely aligned, but the two measures have diverged recently.

While the payout ratio shows a market at high risk for dividend cuts, DIVCON scores show a dividend market that's at its healthiest level in years. Salehizadeh said the market is generally becoming healthier because companies are willing to go out of their way to keep their dividends growing.

"Dividends in general are becoming more healthy because companies will make changes at the fundamental level to try to preserve them because they're such a big signal to investors," he said. "Even energy companies that were recently at risk are cutting back in other areas to maintain their dividends."

The companies that are truly at risk are those that have already cut everything they can. While they still have other options, most companies will usually decide to make sacrifices to maintain their dividend for signaling purposes, even in severe downturns. The most likely outcome for this year is positive dividend growth, even if that growth slows, Salehizadeh said.

"Most likely we will see another positive year for dividends but not a double-digit year for growth," he said. "We're not necessarily going to get record growth, but the biggest payers in the S&P 500 will likely increase, even if it's just a little bit."

Runifyouhaveto

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't do bonds but own equities which pay out dividends. I have Apple shares which pay out dividends.
There are few companies like Apple which are very profitable & doing buy backs which reduce the number of outstanding Apple shares.

I have no luck with equities and lost so much that i can pay for a condo in full.
Apple is a strong company, they are entering fintech (which will affect Paypal), vehicles (which will affect Telsa) and even the number of Apple users in Korea grew in 2015/6.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have no luck with equities and lost so much that i can pay for a condo in full.
Apple is a strong company, they are entering fintech (which will affect Paypal), vehicles (which will affect Telsa) and even the number of Apple users in Korea grew in 2015/6.

You probably invested in tech stocks or single product companies.
I've made my fair share of loses e.g. Lucent, Dell, HP, CISCO,... Went with the tech stocks because I was working in a tech company & they were exciting with large ups & downs :o

The stable stocks are the boring ones like 3M, Walmart,.. they provide a wide range of daily necessities. Their share prices move very little but they provide attractive dividends.

It all depends on the type of investor you are. I've made my $$ and at my age I'm now more of a passive investor, more interested in safe guarding my principal & living on what I am getting in dividends.

Apple is a good investment because they are not just a pure tech company. Many only see them as the iPhone company but they have diversified into all kinds of services. Don't forget their investment in Didi, a chinese Uber competitor. Some say the investment is part of Apple's secret car project:smile:

Even Soros & Buffet has started investing in Apple, probably because of the low P/E multiple & rapidly growing dividend. The current dividend is 57 cents/share per quarter.

You can follow their dividend history here http://investor.apple.com/dividends.cfm
Tim Cook has said that the dividend will be increasing each year. They can do that because of the buy backs they have been doing, retiring many Apple share out in the market.

Runifyouhaveto

Alfrescian
Loyal
You probably invested in tech stocks or single product companies.
I've made my fair share of loses e.g. Lucent, Dell, HP, CISCO,... Went with the tech stocks because I was working in a tech company & they were exciting with large ups & downs :o

No Sir, I am not so impressive. RUN got defeated by SGX-listed china counters, whose value dropped 90-99% wiping a decade's worth of income.

Runifyouhaveto

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good point. The new 6% caused a selldown in the old 6% which increased the yield from 3.5% to 5% now, based on first Call Date.

Update: Old Hyflux 6% crashed to 101.4 level (with small accrued interests) due to switching.

Runifyouhaveto

Alfrescian
Loyal
- Recent big drops in SIBOR and SOR = cheaper bond financing for rich private banking clients

Limited upside for SIBOR in next six months.

Local interest rates have eased very slightly along with the stronger SGD. The three-month swap offer rate (SOR), a benchmark for commercial loans, was down at 0.95 per cent on Monday from 1.03 per cent last Friday. The three-month Sibor or Singapore interbank offered rate, used to price home loans, was fractionally lower on Tuesday at 0.999 per cent, from 1.002 per cent on Friday.

OCBC Bank's Selena Ling said that the bank's end-2016 forecasts for the three-month Sibor and SOR and USD-SGD are 1.15 per cent, 1.3 per cent and 1.40 respectively.

http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/banking-finance/sgd-surges-interest-rates-ease-on-weak-us-jobs-data

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Limited upside for SIBOR in next six months.

Local interest rates have eased very slightly along with the stronger SGD. The three-month swap offer rate (SOR), a benchmark for commercial loans, was down at 0.95 per cent on Monday from 1.03 per cent last Friday. The three-month Sibor or Singapore interbank offered rate, used to price home loans, was fractionally lower on Tuesday at 0.999 per cent, from 1.002 per cent on Friday.

OCBC Bank's Selena Ling said that the bank's end-2016 forecasts for the three-month Sibor and SOR and USD-SGD are 1.15 per cent, 1.3 per cent and 1.40 respectively.

http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/banking-finance/sgd-surges-interest-rates-ease-on-weak-us-jobs-data

this selena ling face not bad but very plump.:biggrin:

Runifyouhaveto

Alfrescian
Loyal
car and men, what a name...! beh chia lor gia chia, sure jiak lat.:biggrin:

f_carmen_lee_m.jpg

BT_20141124_RAINVEST24_1380209.jpg

She ruined many with her past recommendations.

Runifyouhaveto

Alfrescian
Loyal
sinkie women are very ugly, they got fat noses, sure turn off.:biggrin:

I reiterate that these are Krafty bro's personal opinions. :biggrin:
I have nothing against Selena Ling from OCBC Bank.
Please check her photo on your own.

What i wrote is about the track record of Carmen Lee from OCBC Securities.
Lost Decade for OCBC - Few wants to read stock analysis from OCBC Securities these days

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I reiterate that these are Krafty bro's personal opinions. :biggrin:
I have nothing against Selena Ling from OCBC Bank.
Please check her photo on your own.

What i wrote is about the track record of Carmen Lee from OCBC Securities.
Lost Decade for OCBC - Few wants to read stock analysis from OCBC Securities these days

ah run, she dun look like model but her face is alright, at least not those run over by cars.:biggrin: