• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

SilkAir Flight 185 - Pilot Suicide?

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
wife and kids live in san ramon. kids should have graduated from college. compensation windfall is depleted because of in-laws. sad.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Silk air 185... so the truth is....????

The truth is:

-Tsu had lost over a million $ in options trading and had his account suspended twice that year already. He was facing bankruptcy.
- He took out a large life insurance policy on himself on the eve of the crash.
- Someone in the cockpit deliberately disconnected the circuits for the cockpit voice recorder and the flight data recorder before the crash. it was done so the last few seconds of the crash could not be recorded.
- The plane when into a hard push over dive, a dive which reached supersonic speed with full throttle advanced. This dive is not easy to execute and requires a lot of force on the control column. Its is not taught to commercial pilots, and certainly the 23 year old new zealand co-pilot was probably not able to execute it. However, this is a manoevre very familiar to Tsu, as a former A-4 Skyhawk pilot, this dive is similar to a bombing dive.
- The accident happened on the anniversay of the death of his squadron mates and friends when their 3 Skyhawks crashed into the mountain in the Phillippines.

The fact is that the NTSB ruled murder suicide caused by the pilot.

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I miss her :(

Memorial service was held in Sg indoor Stadium. Thousands of attendees. Dead names were engraved and all read out 1by1 . Very touching moments...the sinkieland back then was a country full of human passions.If this kind of thing happen again today, everyone will be celebrating like the little india riots...lol

cocobobo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Memorial service was held in Sg indoor Stadium. Thousands of attendees. Dead names were engraved and all read out 1by1 . Very touching moments...the sinkieland back then was a country full of human passions.If this kind of thing happen again today, everyone will be celebrating like the little india riots...lol

those were the days....

I_Hate_Pappies

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
- He took out a large life insurance policy on himself on the eve of the crash.

I thought it was mentioned 1 year anniversary of the policy in the video. Which means the non payout clause for suicide is not longer applicable. Even if the final outcome of the investigation is pilot suicide, Insurance company is still liable to payout to his family.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
I seriously doubt it was suicide. I believe it is rudder hardover common with 737 with faulty rudder servo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SilkAir_Flight_185

Rudder servo fault does not explain why the CVR and FDR were switched off. In other instances of rudder hardover, some were recoverable. In fact, how they found the rudder hardover problems was by analysing the FDR of the crashed planes. Which means that in flight 185's case, the recorders should have continued to record but were turned off. This points to a deliberate act by one of the pilots.

bushtucker

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"He later struck a deal with US prosecutors and pleaded no contest to an amended charge of manslaughter."

wow! i thought striking a deal with the DA only happens in american dramas and movies. I wonder what kind of leverage he gave to the DA to reduce the sentence to 6 years jail only.

jw5

Loyal
I seriously doubt it was suicide. I believe it is rudder hardover common with 737 with faulty rudder servo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SilkAir_Flight_185

Did you read the section titled "Potential Motives" from the wikipedia link you posted? :eek:

Potential motives[edit]

In the aftermath of the crash, several potential motives for the captain's alleged suicide/homicide were suggested, including recent financial losses (his share trading showed losses of more than $1 million[10] and his securities trading privileges had been suspended 10 days before the accident due to non-payment),[3] his obtaining an insurance policy on his life the previous week (the policy was to have gone into effect on the day of the accident),[3] his receipt of several recent disciplinary actions on the part of the airline (including one that related to improper manipulation of the CVR circuit breaker),[3] and his possible grieving over the loss of three squadron mates during his military flight training, which occurred 18 years earlier on the exact date of the crash.[7] He also reportedly had several conflicts with Ward and other co-pilots who had questioned his command suitability.[15] Investigations later revealed that his total assets were greater than his liabilities, although his liquid assets could not cover his immediate debts; his monthly income was less than his family's monthly expenditure; and he had some outstanding credit card debts.[3]

An official investigation by the Singapore Police Force into evidence of criminal offence leading to the crash found "no evidence that the pilot, co-pilot or any crew member had suicidal tendencies or a motive to deliberately cause the crash of [the aircraft]."[16]

Tsu was formerly a Republic of Singapore Air Force pilot and had over 20 years of flying experience in the older T/A-4S Skyhawks as well as the newer T/A-4SU Super Skyhawks. His last appointment was instructor pilot of a Skyhawk squadron.

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
hahaha......empty vessels having a field day...
truely retarded as if the palm of Sinkee gahmen can cover the whole world.......
and also Indo gahmen has to kowtow to papee so as protect SIA/Silkair....
this was not the only case of a B737 going into uncontrolled dive and the root cause of faulty rudder servo was only discovered by chance/luck in a particular case and not thru the FDR as one idiot claimed......

Last edited:

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
hahaha......empty vessels having a field day...
truely retarded as if the palm of Sinkee gahmen can cover the whole world.......
and also Indo gahmen has to kowtow to papee so as protect SIA/Silkair....
this was not the only case of a B737 going into uncontrolled dive and the root cause of faulty rudder servo was only discovered by chance/luck in a particular case and not thru the FDR as one idiot claimed......

Sigh, the fucking moron has returned. I want to ask you something, in the absence of witnesses (as happened in some of the 737 rudder over crashes), how do you even know that the plane went into an uncontrolled dive? The birds told you so? If no one saw the crash, u know its an uncontrolled dive into terrain? How? A sudden hard rudder over results in a split S manoervre, flips the plane over, and dives it into the ground. How do you know a split S happened? How do you know that it caused a sudden change in the plane's attitude? Have you heard of a FDR? It will tell you that happened.

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sigh, the fucking moron has returned. I want to ask you something, in the absence of witnesses (as happened in some of the 737 rudder over crashes), how do you even know that the plane went into an uncontrolled dive? The birds told you so? If no one saw the crash, u know its an uncontrolled dive into terrain? How? A sudden hard rudder over results in a split S manoervre, flips the plane over, and dives it into the ground. How do you know a split S happened? How do you know that it caused a sudden change in the plane's attitude? Have you heard of a FDR? It will tell you that happened.
hahaha...double confirmed foul mouth empty vessel who try to ge kiang.....
go watch the episode on Aircraft accident investigation before u cum here and embarrass yourself further.....lol.

numero uno

Alfrescian
Loyal

I saw the documentary somewhere and remember all teh evidence points to suicide the most likely explanation. Rudder problems does not explain why both the recorders were switch off as they operate seperately and NSTB were of the opinion that it was switched off intentionally. Pieces of recovered metal from nose cone from the river bed were subjected to forensics analysis and from the stress deformation of the hard metal skin they could work backwards and calculate that the plane hit the water at full speed ie at full acceleration as if someone was intent of driving full speed against a wall like kamikaze pilots and not as if pilot would try to recover from a fall.
It apparently hit the water at 90 degrees inconsistent with rudder failure which would usually cause it to spiral or flip and even then it would hit the water at 90 degrees. the force was so great that all the metal pieces were smashed to bits and no bodies recovered. very sad.
The sore sticking point is why were both the recorders turned off in sequence minutes before the crash??? electrical fault would not explain it as it has 2 source of power supply and is supposed to work even after power has been cut off in a crash so as to record everything up tlll the crash .
it is too much of a coincidence for an electrical fault to affect the recorders one after another and then the rudder to fail(which they says is due to metal chips and mechanical fault). too much of a coincidence for a plane to develop electrical faults and then mech fault at almost the same time.
also the pilot has a history of shutting off the recorders before and also why on the same day his colleagues perished many years ago.

Last edited:

kryonlight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"Sky Dancer" on this page has this to say:

http://www.pprune.org/archive/index.php/t-299014.html

The post by Millers Court has been the most accurate so far on what actually happened on MI 185.The evidence gathered so far points very heavily towards the Captain deliberately diving the plane to kill himself and everyone else.I'm not sure if I'm correct but the FO who reported the unsafe approach that cost him his Training Captain status was the same FO that went down with him.For reasons that seemed beyond the scope of the investigation , the final verdict took quite sometime along with great hesitation in pointing fingers at the Captain and Silk Air.All this despite the initial reports by the Indonesians pointing towards pilot suicide...

I don't know if this was true. If it were, that's quite a vicious way of getting revenge.

Tuayapeh

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Looks like nobody will ever kniw the entire truth behind what truly happened...but if there are lies and their deaths were maligned, may these liars suffer and pay a fate as terrible as those or he who caused it......

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
I saw the documentary somewhere and remember all teh evidence points to suicide as the only plausible explanation. Rudder problems does not explain why both the recorders were switch off as they operate seperately and NSTB were of the opinion that it was switched off intentionally. Pieces of recovered metal from nose cone from the river bed were subjected to forensics analysis and from the stress deformation of the hard metal skin they could work backwards and calculate that the plane hit the water at full speed ie at full acceleration as if someone was intent of driving full speed against a wall like kamikaze pilots and not as if pilot would try to recover from a fall.
It apparently hit the water at 90 degrees inconsistent with rudder failure which would usually cause it to spiral or flip and even then it would hit the water at 90 degrees. the force was so great that all the metal pieces were smashed to bits and no bodies recovered. very sad. but at end of the day, sometimes the most direct answer is teh most possible and Human intervention is the only thing that can explain ALL the circumstances. I remember in investigative work it is better to ascribe all complications or reults to one action or problem(?pilot) rather than explain it as a cause of a few actions or problems.
The sore sticking point is why were both the recorders turned off in sequence minutes before the crash??? electrical fault would not explain it as it has 2 source of power supply and is supposed to work even after power has been cut off in a crash so as to record everything up tlll the crash . It can only be switched off manually for maintenance .
it is too much of a coincidence for an electrical fault to affect the recorders one after another and then the rudder(which they says is due to metal chips and mechanical fault). too much of a coincidence for a plane to develop electrical faults and then mech fault at almost the same time.
also the pilot has a history of shutting off the recorders before and also why on the same day his colleagues perished many years ago.

Yes, I saw the same episode that you did too. I also reached the same conclusion as you. U don't have to convince me. But a certain kukubird still thinks its a rudder issue, and anyone who disagrees with him is an empty vessel or some such thing. He is a the pride of what singaporean engineering can produce. ie a closed myopic small mind.