• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

SIA in the news! LOL

StarshipTroopers

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Passengers left surrounded by chaotic mess after sudden bout of turbulence hits aircraft

• Meals ended up in the aisles and coffee on the ceiling after plane lost altitude
  • Eleven passengers and one crew member were injured on the flight
  • One passenger took pictures of the mess and posted them online

By JAMES RUSH PUBLISHED: 02:22 GMT, 4 June 2013 | UPDATED: 04:40 GMT, 4 June 2013

This is what happens when you hit an extreme bout of turbulence just after breakfast has been served. Passengers on a recent Singapore Airlines flight were left surrounded by the chaotic mess after their flight hit the rough patch and suddenly lost altitude. A total of 11 passengers and one crew member were injured in the incident on flight SQ308 from Singapore to London.

article-2335511-1A22082F000005DC-187_634x355.jpg

Passengers were left surrounded by this chaotic mess after the plane hit turbulence

article-2335511-1A22082A000005DC-237_634x629.jpg

Mr Cross said anything that wasn't tied down hit the ceiling when the plane lost altitude

article-2335511-1A220822000005DC-129_634x609.jpg

Coffee can be seen on the ceiling of the Singapore to Heathrow flight following the turbulence

One passenger on the flight, who saw his coffee end up on the ceiling, managed to take these pictures which he posted to Instagram. Passengers Alan Cross told ABC News those on the flight had been warned to expect turbulence and that the breakfast service would be temporarily suspended. A short while after the seat belt sign came on, the captain issued an order for all flight attendants to immediately take their seats.

Mr Cross said the subsequent turbulence felt 'like being in an elevator with a cut cable or free-falling from some amusement park ride.' He said everything that was not tied down, including people, hit the ceiling. The airline has told Australia News: 'Eleven passengers and one crew member sustained minor injuries when the aircraft experienced a sudden loss of altitude and were attended to by medical personnel on arrival at Heathrow Airport. Seat-belt signs were on at the time and meal services had already been suspended.'

article-2335511-1A2207EF000005DC-469_634x613.jpg

Flight attendants were told to immediately take their seats just before the aircraft hit the turbulence

article-2335511-1A22081B000005DC-572_634x608.jpg

Mr Cross said the cabin crew and passengers were 'amazing' in the aftermath, as 'a calm and efficient clean-up' was underway

article-2335511-1A2207F3000005DC-568_634x616.jpg

A total of 11 passengers and one crew member were injured on the flight

Mr Cross said: 'The cabin crew was amazing in the aftermath, as were fellow passengers who helped everyone around them then in a calm and efficient clean-up.' He said crew checked for injuries before cleaning up the mess and gave passengers boxes of chocolates as they departed at Heathrow, where they were met by paramedics. Earlier this year scientists suggested climate change could result in flights from London to New York getting much bumpier in the future. Researchers from East Anglia and Reading universities analysed supercomputer simulations of the atmospheric jet stream over the North Atlantic and claimed climate change will increase air turbulence.

They found the chances of hitting significant turbulence will rise by 40 to 170 per cent by 2050, with the likeliest outcome being a doubling of the airspace containing significant turbulence at any time.
Dr Paul Williams from the University of Reading and the University of East Anglia’s Dr Manoj Joshi said the average strength of turbulence will also increase, by between 10 and 40 per cent.Dr Williams said: ‘Most air passengers will have experienced the uncomfortable feeling of mid-flight air turbulence. Our research suggests that we'll be seeing the “fasten seatbelts” sign turned on more often in the decades ahead.'

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many people usually ignore the fasten seat belt warning in the middle of long flights. That's why people get injured during severe air turbulence.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
To be fair this news is compliment for SQ not criticism.

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
During my recent trip to GZ, I took Tiger Airways and the plane was shaking so much until I thought we were going to crash soon :o

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
During my recent trip to GZ, I took Tiger Airways and the plane was shaking so much until I thought we were going to crash soon :o

Are they still in business?

With all the past horror stories I'm really surprised that anyone would consider flying with them.

THE_CHANSTER

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Are they still in business?

With all the past horror stories I'm really surprised that anyone would consider flying with them.

I feel most comfortable flying with Ang Moh pilots either British Airways or Qantas. The in-flight service may be s**t but they really know how to handle an emergency situation.

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Well done SIA. Congratulations to the passengers for staying calm and collected.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
I feel most comfortable flying with Ang Moh pilots either British Airways or Qantas. The in-flight service may be s**t but they really know how to handle an emergency situation.

[h=1]Qantas passengers injured in turbulence[/h]Updated Mon Jan 9, 2012 12:31am AEDT
PHOTO: Qantas says a bad storm over India caused the turbulence. (file photo) ([url]www.flickr.com: JamesDPhotography)[/URL]
MAP: Sydney 2000

Qantas says seven passengers have been injured on a flight from London to Sydney.
The airline says the seat belt sign was turned on and passengers were returning to their seats when an A380 experienced turbulence over India yesterday.
Seven people suffered minor cuts and bruises during the incident.
Four were treated in hospital while three were treated at a medical centre in Singapore but all have since been discharged.
A Qantas spokeswoman says the turbulence was caused by bad storms in the Indian airspace.
"[The aircraft] diverted around most of it but it was the initial part of the storm that had the impact," the spokeswoman said.
"The seat belt sign had come on but some passengers were still moving back to their seats."
The aircraft was cleared to fly after being assessed by engineers and has departed Singapore.
The plane was due to land in Sydney about 9:00pm (AEDT) on Sunday.
ABC/AAP

NoNewsGood

Alfrescian
Loyal
The turbulence must be quite bad considering that the aircraft was a big plane - A380.

Might be worse if a smaller plane going through that patch. :eek:

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Small planes feel the shakes more. And make sure pilot (or his boss) paid up here :eek:

pilot.jpg

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Just wonder if a guy was being BJ in the cubicle, will the sudden turbulence cause a sudden bite of the KKJ ?