• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Shan's Green Paper on Fake News Threat for Parliament

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is the google drive link to a copy of the Green Paper submitted to Parliament asking for the formation of a Select Committee to look into deliberate "Fake News";

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TdR_zzRmht4hYclqYzZMjC99SkKb-mMW/view

Read it and you will see it has everything reported across the World from Russians influencing the US Elections to misinformation during the Brexit Campaign. The only thing missing is the kitchen sink and Aunty Ho's latest flips flops. Nothing profound just a cut and paste plus edit of events on fake news.

For Singapore, the paper talks not about foreign actors which dominates the examples for other countries but more on our local political scene. Old man's actions against Singapore Herald and Eastern Sun in the 70s (surprisingly very old stuff) to the Japanese girl and her Singaporean boyfriend running the OZ website and pushing out fake news on Thaipusam and the Filipino community here are the main examples cited..

SBF the terribly notorious site that impinged the character of the Minister has been left out or not alleged to be involved in any fake news - so I guess SBF shoots out more facts than fiction about this government. Or the Minister did not want to raise an unpleasant personal past of his infamous indiscretion.

So what exactly is the ask? Is Trump's troubles being used to push out more draconian laws?

We already sent the Japanese girl (pregnant when she went to Prison) and her Singaporean husband to jail on existing laws. We either bankrupted or crippled Singapore opposition figures and activists with our interpretation of defamation, slander and what else with the Singapore courts. We recently regulated blogs and forums with focusing on political content that the likes of Alex Au had to go quiet.

As to foreign actors - this is within the ambit of our Intelligence Services plus legal avenues in regards to Social Media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter. Old man famously crippled foreign blue chip publications' circulation with the likes of the Economist and WSJ with existing laws and regulations and they folded and behaved to Old Man's standard of the "Truth" If our Intelligence Services are good enough to trail SIA Pilot Ryan Goh's young daughter attending school in quiet Perth to a convenience store or Francis Seow's spend on his Amex Card in the US, surely they can do the same to contain foreign actors or even locals who generate misinformation without the need for a additional laws. After all it was out Intelligence Services that provided the hard evidence to imprison Jim Nicholson, the CIA's most senior staff for espionage.

What exactly is Shanmugam hoping to achieve knowing full well that this Government has every means to cripple anyone who even mildly attempted to say something against the PAP narrative. Look at how they crushed one time retired school teacher who wrote 2 articles asking for change in the political engagement of citizens. Not once in the 2 articles was there a misrepresentation of facts. Just that she wrote her concerns as a genuine citizen keen to contribute to her country and society. Instead they demanded she stand for elections which is bizarre when you realise they could not pole holes in both her essays.

How about stiffening the laws and finding the courage to prosecute civil servants and GLC employees who are engaged in multi-million dollars corruption over 2 decades How about naming and shaming civil servants and GLC staff involved in gross negligence such as unnecessary 8 death of patients in SGH who ultimately came under the cluster management of a Cabinet Minister's wife. How about a Select Committee for these much more egregious conduct where the AG or the laws have been silent. Or has bribery now joined the once famous "gambling taboo" and is now cast in the same vein as something economically important for Singapore's survival.

Until the Senior Management executives of Keppel are prosecuted in court, this Government will continue to be the laughing stock where governance and the rule of law are concerned.

Last edited:

Truth_Hurts

Alfrescian
Loyal
What about news like.. Raise GST to help the poor...swiss standard of living...or upturn the down turn or ownself check ownself...that is fake news too right? How is Shan to deal with it?

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There is only one crook - LHL. Remove that one, the rest will collapse. The clown is supported and condone by foreign influence for now. I see it waning.

KuanTi01

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Much ado about nothing really! Waste of money waste of time; faking his own importance.
His party also fake! Not a genuine soul around if not there will be a call from among their ranks for a COI on the Keppel corruption scandal which ranks as a national disgrace! Grace Fu should demand an inquiry and not just an apology. I believe Keppel case not fake news right?

ToaPehGong

Alfrescian
Loyal
This government had been proven to ownself praise ownself, ownself clear ownself and ownself reward ownself. Never had it ownself criticised ownself. Instead, they asked the citizens to look at themselves on what they can contribute to the government before criticising the government. Long live PAP, I wonder if I can witness their collapse in my lifetime.

Truth_Hurts

Alfrescian
Loyal
This government had been proven to ownself praise ownself, ownself clear ownself and ownself reward ownself. Never had it ownself criticised ownself. Instead, they asked the citizens to look at themselves on what they can contribute to the government before criticising the government. Long live PAP, I wonder if I can witness their collapse in my lifetime.

With the typical Singkie 70%,,,,PAP will be around until the end of the civilisation,,,that is when there is nothing left to rule,,,,Singkieland will go the way of Venezuela,,,,as the venezeulans still want the current government eventhough its the cause of all its problems,,,if venezuelans are happy,,,what more the singkies ?

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
i hope 11 or 12 will play a positive role to help oppos and dispose of the crappy american boot lickers. afterall, it is the FAP buzy dishing out fake news about tiongsters offloading oil to pyongyang, rebuilding military base on spratly, etc. go 11, go 12, fark them all.

Truth_Hurts

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fuck him lah how many people this botak keling kia planning to sue?
I think botak is trying to scare everyone into being compliant to the pap...the problem is it might backfire. What Shan is doing is following what Nixon did. Try n plug all the holes etc..but in social media..if he kpkb about every small thing...it risk creating a snow ball. Case in point Amos Yee. Of the Pappies left him alone. Came up with a statement n give him a warning etc. Any inflammatory articles he comes up with will be ignored. N he will be in NS now..n he can get thrown into dB forever ...charge him with treason n what not...as in NS..Amos yees ass is grass...I would advice Shan to deal with this with a light touch. If a news is proven fake come out with an official statement n let the news die out. If he gives fake news attention..it gets free publicity..just my rants

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Silly Shan! Everybody knows that good news is real news and bad news is fake news. So simple! So many green paper white paper for what?

rushifa666

Alfrescian
Loyal
The retard also want to sue str. Didnt law school teach him about legal jurisdiction? Do they have black ops overseas.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Aren't we seeing this coming?. You allow any political party to be in power for such a long time, what do one expect?, worse to come. We are becoming like IRAN, TURKEY, NK, just to name a few. All news can only be published by the SPH group & broadcast by MEDIA CORPSE that include any postings on Youtube,etc Soon, they will want control over all the social media, all whatsapp, Facebook, twiter etc...must be routed through the government servers & be vetted. Any on line postings must be done on government approved sites, that need to registered, citizens with their SingPass & other, with their ID, like WP etc.

Don't tell me, I didn't warn ya!...this is what you will get soon or now...when you have a single political party running this place since 1959....

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
With only 1 gahmen controlled news media platform...where else would "fake" news come from?

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Aren't we seeing this coming?. You allow any political party to be in power for such a long time, what do one expect?, worse to come. We are becoming like IRAN, TURKEY, NK, just to name a few. All news can only be published by the SPH group & broadcast by MEDIA CORPSE that include any postings on Youtube,etc Soon, they will want control over all the social media, all whatsapp, Facebook, twiter etc...must be routed through the government servers & be vetted. Any on line postings must be done on government approved sites, that need to registered, citizens with their SingPass & other, with their ID, like WP etc.

Don't tell me, I didn't warn ya!...this is what you will get soon or now...when you have a single political party running this place since 1959....

Thanks to single parties running the country since 1959, we've become amongst the most stable, richest and most developed countries in the world. You want us to end up like Manila, Jakarta or Mexico City?

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thanks to single parties running the country since 1959, we've become amongst the most stable, richest and most developed countries in the world. You want us to end up like Manila, Jakarta or Mexico City?

Your papa sperms had not swam up your mama....when I saw LKY Campaigning for Merdeka...so I know what I am talking about...no one political party must run a country for so many years...it will become a despot, & we already have nepotism, irresponsible politicians...the eventual sufferers will be the people, while the politicians " have it good, have it together". PAP must be made an oppositions, to get the hunger back in their belly & fire in their eyes...the only fire now they have is to look at how rich they can get each month & in the future.

Make Singapore Great Again....

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"Vestal writes that the tendency to respond to challenges to authoritarianism
through tighter control instead of
adaptation is a significant weakness and that
this overly rigid approach fails to "adapt to changes or to accommodate growing
demands on the part of the populace or even groups within the system "
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authoritarianism

Like Scroobal said, they already have in place enough to sterilise the red dot
and is now going for the overkill.What is it that makes them so-basically things that
is beyond their control/reach , like foreign press, internet ect2
but what shakes them most is Brexit and Trumpism and the influence it may
have .Before Brexit and Trump we have the Arab Spring and how long can this
group of people go against the tide of humanity and history.

Will what Lee SW his father and Auntie may say in future be another reason?

Last edited:

Guerriero

Alfrescian
Loyal
‘They’ have already ‘controlled’ the mainstream media.. why can’t ‘they’ just let the people speak their mind on the online media ?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
There has been a growing concern about the access and speed about the social media. A good recent example is the Keppel Corruption affair. There are 2 widely and accurate detailed posts that has been circulating in social media and particularly on WhatsApp. There is also a very professional done clip by SDP on the same subject also doing the rounds.

People are realising that the mainstream is a joke and last place to get some fair details. Note the drop in readership.

The regulations that called for political focussed blogs and forums introduced by Yaacob to provide bond and apply for permits has killed content via this media so the move to social platforms such as WhatsApp and others.

In effect the PAP is stuck - they killed the transparent forums for information and debate and things have gone one level below away from prying eyes. So instead of allowing 99% of sincere people to discuss affairs of the state and keep an eye on the 1% of trouble makers, they killed the entire transparent and benign platforms. It drives things underground.

‘They’ have already ‘controlled’ the mainstream media.. why can’t ‘they’ just let the people speak their mind on the online media ?

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
In effect the PAP is stuck - they killed the transparent forums for information and debate and things have gone one level below away from prying eyes. So instead of allowing 99% of sincere people to discuss affairs of the state and keep an eye on the 1% of trouble makers, they killed the entire transparent and benign platforms. It drives things underground.

Agree here. That may even be part of the PAP strategy - cripple the good guys, allow the bad hats to gain a larger share of the space and in so doing, turn off discerning readers from engaging on the issues. In other words, turn the clock back to pre-2010.

TOC, TMG, BN, would have grown into much larger alternative voices were it not for this.Over time, they would in fact have spurred Singaporeans to acquire some form of political education which I guess is the end goal that the PAP wanted to avoid.

Strategy is to keep Singaporeans skilled in economically relevant skill sets, but naive socially and politically. Basically they do not know how to govern any other kind of population.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes but it shows how shortsighted they are when it comes to the benefits to the country. Good examples are Catherine Lim and Alex Au - completely benign and absolutely sincere and genuine Singaporeans. So who do we have left?

Strategy is to keep Singaporeans skilled in economically relevant skill sets, but naive socially and politically. Basically they do not know how to govern any other kind of population.