• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Shall I go Hybrid or stick to the good old gas guzzler variety?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Then go for the internal combustion engine. What's the reason you are comparing with the hybrid then?

Cheers!

It's all about performance and comfort. At low speeds and about town, hybrids are whisper quiet. It's like riding a magic carpet. :wink:

However, there's something about the throaty roar of a petrol engine and a gurgling exhaust that excites the senses.

I have all this money to spend thanks to the PAP and I don't know what to do with it and I'm running out of time to use it.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's all about performance and comfort. At low speeds and about town, hybrids are whisper quiet. It's like riding a magic carpet. :wink:

However, there's something about the throaty roar of a petrol engine and a gurgling exhaust that excites the senses.

I have all this money to spend thanks to the PAP and I don't know what to do with it and I'm running out of time to use it.

Go get a sports car. SUV's and sedans don't attract girls.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Leongsam, I drove a Camry Hybrid for 2 years and I have to say I like hybrid for its quietness and fuel saving and also when you need some extra power when both engine and motor kicks in its quite a kick. Moreover Toyota gives 10 years warranty for the battery so its a pretty good deal.

I've decided on the gas guzzler 2 litre turbo engine over the hybrid.

The choice is a straightforward one now that I have discovered that the hybrid has a CVT gearbox whereas the 2 litre Turbo has a conventional 6 speed transmission.

I HATE CVT. It feels awful.

[h=4]LEXUS NX KEY SPECIFICATIONS (JAPANESE MODELS)[/h]
NX 200tNX 300h
Length4,630 mm
Width1,845 mm
Height1,645 mm
Wheelbase2,660 mm
Track (front/rear)1,580 mm/1,580 mm*1
DrivelineFront-wheel drive/All-wheel driveFront-wheel drive/All-wheel drive (E-Four)
EngineName8AR-FTS2AR-FXE
Type2.0-liter four-cylinder turbo2.5-liter four-cylinder
Displacement1,998 cc2,493 cc
Maximum output175 kW [238 PS]
4,800-5,600 rpm
-
Maximum torque350 N-m [35.7 kgf-m]
1,650-4,000 rpm
-
Maximum output (complete system)*2145 kW [197 PS]
Transmission6-speed automatic transmissionElectronic continuously variable transmission
Tires (front/rear)*3225/65R17 or 225/60R18 or 235/55R18
*1235/55R18-size tires: 1,570 mm/1,570 mm; *2Using both engine power and electric motor power (in-house calculations); *3Depending on variant

<tbody>
</tbody>

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ok, I see. Accepted.

If I were in your position (with lots of money), I'd customize my own wheels then rather than settle for a stock mass produced vehicle. Not into SUVs, but I'd get a 70s model Japanese bike and build/design a café racer. I know we're not mechanics, but for such an endeavour, money helps.

Cheers!

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

why a SUV when your trusty toyota pickup can do the same job?

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
why a SUV when your trusty toyota pickup can do the same job?

For traveling around NZ. I intend to cover all major towns and cities. It's on my bucket list of "must do" items.

The pickup is great for running around town but for drives longer than 2 to 3 hours, the clatter of the diesel engine, the lack of safety features and the harsh ride all add up to a rather unpleasant experience.

I'm very tempted to get the Porsche Macan for the scintillating performance and handling but I don't want to go through another Beemer experience where the vehicle spent half the time in the workshop clocking up ridiculous repair bills.

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal

wat you mean donno what to do.. just pass it to me and i will help you to spent faster than the fuel running out of your posche.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
These are the sorts of problems that put me off European brands.

http://www.macanforum.com/forum/engine-technical-discussion/16673-transmission-failure.html

If the car is still under warranty, you aren't hit financially but it is still inconvenient to have deal with the quality and reliability issues. The worst problems are the intermittent ones where strange noises cause grief but they then disappear when you take it back to the dealer only to reappear the next day after they tell you the car is running perfectly.

I'm tracking the above forum and http://www.lexusnxforum.com/ to see how things go in both camps.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
For traveling around NZ. I intend to cover all major towns and cities. It's on my bucket list of "must do" items.

The pickup is great for running around town but for drives longer than 2 to 3 hours, the clatter of the diesel engine, the lack of safety features and the harsh ride all add up to a rather unpleasant experience.

I'm very tempted to get the Porsche Macan for the scintillating performance and handling but I don't want to go through another Beemer experience where the vehicle spent half the time in the workshop clocking up ridiculous repair bills.

porsche is AWD so handling should be better than the lexus front wheel drive. but is the porsche PDK transmission gearbox just another name for VW's DSG gearbox?

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
porsche is AWD so handling should be better than the lexus front wheel drive. but is the porsche PDK transmission gearbox just another name for VW's DSG gearbox?

The Lexus NX will have all wheel drive options too.

I would not be surprised if the PDK gearbox ends up as another DSG saga.

Problems and recalls of DSG-equipped vehicles[edit]

The 7-speed DQ200 and 6-speed DQ250 gearboxes sometimes suffer from power-loss (gear disengaging) due to short-circuiting of wires caused by a build-up of sulphur in the transmission oil.[SUP][23]
[/SUP]

United States of America[edit]

In August 2009, Volkswagen of America issued two recalls of DSG-equipped vehicles. The first involved 13,500 vehicles,[SUP][24][/SUP] and was to address unplanned shifts to the neutral gear,[SUP][24][/SUP] while the second involved similar problems (by then attributed to faulty temperature sensors) and applied to 53,300 vehicles.[SUP][24][/SUP][SUP][25][/SUP][SUP][26][/SUP] These recalls arose as a result of investigations carried out by the US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA),[SUP][27][/SUP] where owners reported to the NHTSA a loss of power whilst driving.[SUP][24][/SUP] This investigation preliminary found only 2008 and 2009 model year vehicles as being affected.[SUP][24][/SUP][SUP][27]
[/SUP]

China[edit]

Since 2009 there have been widespread concerns from Chinese consumers particularly among the online community, who expressed that Volkswagen has failed to respond to complaints about defects in its DSG-equipped vehicles. Typical issues associated with 6-speed DSG include abnormal noise and inability to change gear; while issues associated with 7-speed DSG include abnormal noise, excessive shift shock, abnormal increase in engine RPM, flashing gear indicator on the dashboard as well as inability to shift to even-numbered gears.[SUP][28][/SUP] In March 2012 China’s quality watchdog the General Administration of Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine (AQSIQ) said that it had been in contact with Volkswagen (China) and urged the carmaker to probe the issues.[SUP][29][/SUP][SUP][30][/SUP] In a survey held by Gasgoo.com (China) of 2,937 industry experts and insiders, 83% of respondents believed that the carmaker should consider a full vehicle recall.[SUP][31][/SUP] In March 2012 Volkswagen Group China admitted that there could be an issue in its seven-speed DSG gearboxes that may affect approximately 500,000 vehicles from its various subsidiaries in China.[SUP][32][/SUP] A software upgrade has since been offered for the affected vehicles in an attempt to repair the problem.

According to 163.com - one of China's most popular web portals - in March 2012 about a quarter of the complaints about problems found in cars in China's automotive market were made against DSG-equipped vehicles manufactured by Volkswagen.[SUP][33][/SUP] The top five models that dominate those complaints were:

On March 15, 2013 China Central Television aired a program for the World Consumer Rights Day. The program criticized the issue associated with DSG-equipped vehicles manufactured by Volkswagen. On March 17, 2013 Volkswagen Group China announced on its official Weibo that it will voluntarily recall vehicles equipped with DSG boxes.[SUP][34][/SUP] Some sources have estimated the failure rate of DSG-equipped vehicles sold in China to be greater than 20,000 per million sold.[SUP][citation needed]
[/SUP]

Sweden[edit]

VW Sweden stopped selling the Passat EcoFuel DSG as a taxi after many cars had problems with the 7 speed DSG gearbox. They instead offered the Touran EcoFuel DSG, which is using an updated version of the same DSG gearbox.[SUP][35]
[/SUP]

Japan[edit]

The recall has been extended to Japan with 91,000 (VW and Audi using the same DSG) being recalled. [SUP][36]
[/SUP]

Singapore[edit]

Volkswagen Singapore recalled approximately 6100 cars with the 7-speed DSG. [SUP][37]
[/SUP]

Malaysia[edit]

13 days after the Singapore recall, Volkswagen Malaysia also announced a recall for the 7-speed DSG. No official statement was released by the company, but it was stated that a total of 3,962 were involved in the unit recall exercise - units produced between June 2010 and June 2011, with affected vehicles being Golf, Polo, Scirocco, Cross Touran, Passat and Jetta models equipped with the transmission. [SUP][38]
[/SUP]

World wide recall[edit]

November 14, 2013 Volkswagen Group announced a major world wide recall over problems with the 7-speed DSG gearbox (model: DQ200) which might lead to loss of power, covering some 1.6m cars including those carrying the Audi, Skoda and SEAT badges. [SUP][39][/SUP]

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
my VW also recalled. but the problem persist. sigh... make me regret giving up the manual transmission honda. now cannot buy manual transmission new car as no dealers sell manual models anymore.