• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

SGD Strong, Ringgit Weak

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
After buying a 500K property, you will have appx 1m left. Most malaysian bonds dividends are tax-free. You may choose to bank with your trusted UOB, OCBC malaysia branches to buy bonds. My most trusted bank is Public Bank. In Sept 2013, they issued 3.8% bonds and they have just announced that they will likely issue perpetual securities/preference shares soon which will give much much higher returns:...

I have some Public Bank shares & have been receiving dividens. Have to say that I'm happy with the performance of the share.

I have never owned bonds & curious as to whether I should consider adding some to my portfolio.. Anyone want to share their views on holding shares vs bonds :confused:

blindswordsman

Alfrescian
Loyal
...I know people in middle-aged who rent out their 5-room hdb, work in sg, but sleep in JB.

These people are PR from boleh land. They buy HDB flats, rent it out to countrymen working in SG, collect rent and balek kampong daily by motor bikes. It makes pappies look stupid. Why allow PR to buy HDB flats to make money in sinkie land?

Runifyouhaveto

Alfrescian
Loyal
Perhaps, I am wrong but it looks like boleh land is deliberately letting the RM to depreciate against the SGD to stimulate their own economy. Considering the large numbers of Mat working in sinkie land and the export of goods to SG, it is worthwhile to accept the depreciation and screw sinkie land at the same time.

Actually, sometimes, I think this is not a choice. Usually, it is about who in power. For example, if the right man wins the Indian polls, rupee will the among the strongest emerging market currency in the months ahead.

here's another comparison for Southeast Asia, in the past 12-18mths
- UNMO favours low-interest rates + fiat-printing.
- Indonesia hiked rates + even slowed down money-supply, resulting in a drop in imports (less rupiah outflow)

Therefore, i feel neutral about your opinion on an "intentional" weakening of ringgit. If this is truly the long-term plot to use depreciation to boost economy, then we can play along and give all ringgit-denominated leveraged assets a miss.

2 cents.

Runifyouhaveto

Alfrescian
Loyal
Own use or have a long term view. My thoughts are that the scenario of sgd vs myr will change in the mid to long term.

A good idea is to buy a klang valley property, smaller unit and near uni, so its easy to rent out.

Also, get a new development because it takes 2.5 years to complete. Then you just sit and wait another 2 to 3 years.

For property investments, tou should always take mid to long term view and not wanting to spin and take earnings after 1 year. Current appreciation in klang valley is around 10% for the sub-mln range. I feel the 400k to 500k ones are the best value. There are still ways to buy for foreigner.

Yes sir, same price, i will also put my money in klang valley cbd area, for rental income.
for own stay, it will be johor because of proximity.

Runifyouhaveto

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have some Public Bank shares & have been receiving dividens. Have to say that I'm happy with the performance of the share.

I have never owned bonds & curious as to whether I should consider adding some to my portfolio.. Anyone want to share their views on holding shares vs bonds :confused:

shiok right? public bank dividends always very good. it is in good hands.

For bonds, i feel that keeping to those that are available in singapore would suffice. Otherwise, malaysian ringgit bonds are more suited for these 2 reasons:
- for those who wants ringgit returns because they are staying there.
- bet on ringgit's appreciation
- ringgit-based investment because bond yields for top top bestest malaysian corporate bonds are higher than rental incomes.

Runifyouhaveto

Alfrescian
Loyal
These people are PR from boleh land. They buy HDB flats, rent it out to countrymen working in SG, collect rent and balek kampong daily by motor bikes. It makes pappies look stupid. Why allow PR to buy HDB flats to make money in sinkie land?

i agree that allowing PR to own HDB is an epic failure; our society has a long-term price to pay.

Singapore should fully liberalize the private property market, allow foreigners to crazily flip or die pain pain in this sector unregulated (without even foreigners' stamp duties) WHILE fully-reserve HDB for citizens to avoid ruining opportunities of upward mobility for the core population due to debts.

Look, today if you are a fresh school-leaver, thinking of getting married, you will need at more than $150K cash for your HDB BTO or resale downpayment + simple wedding expense (because u need to get married to own HDB) , excluding renovations.

sorry to sidetrack.

Last edited:

No_Collar

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have a msian pr fren who has 4 houses. 2 in jb, 1 in Penang n 1 in clement. He rent out his 4rm Clementi flat n his jb condo n live in a 3 storey semi-d in jb. He go back to Penang once in two months to visit his family n friends n has no intention to take up the pink IC. Not forgetting he has 2 cars a SG n msia registered plate n ride his kapkia to work in and out of SG. Sometimes I wish I'm born a Malaysian. :(

bakkuttay

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
coming back from jb at 7 pm yesterday, was really amazed at number of people returning to jb via ciq,
not to mention many more leaving via another exit.

the sight of the numbers of motorcycles returning to jb is really mind-boggling, not forgetting those who drive.

matx3315

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have a msian pr fren who has 4 houses. 2 in jb, 1 in Penang n 1 in clement. He rent out his 4rm Clementi flat n his jb condo n live in a 3 storey semi-d in jb. He go back to Penang once in two months to visit his family n friends n has no intention to take up the pink IC. Not forgetting he has 2 cars a SG n msia registered plate n ride his kapkia to work in and out of SG. Sometimes I wish I'm born a Malaysian. :(

So what our Govt doing about it? Nothing?

kapkia

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have a msian pr ......not forgetting he has 2 cars a SG n msia registered plate n ride his kapkia to work in and out of SG. Sometimes I wish I'm born a Malaysian. :(

can tahan bo ?

213rcww.jpg

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
coming back from jb at 7 pm yesterday, was really amazed at number of people returning to jb via ciq,
not to mention many more leaving via another exit.

the sight of the numbers of motorcycles returning to jb is really mind-boggling, not forgetting those who drive.

As a regular visitor to JB I notice that it is now more crowded in the malls.

Obviously people are looking for alternatives to the most expensive city.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
hey hensem...my kapkia is not ant ok...
Aiyah, don't bluff ...we all know you ride your kapkia to all the lap sup bars in JB. More bang for your buck. Just returned from Taman Sentosa's FL haven, and got caught in massive ant traffic?? :p

kapkia

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Aiyah, don't bluff ...we all know you ride your kapkia to all the lap sup bars in JB. More bang for your buck. Just returned from Taman Sentosa's FL haven, and got caught in massive ant traffic?? :p

that one long time ago lah hensem...

. now I go new york hotel... piak piak buffet..

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Perhaps, I am wrong but it looks like boleh land is deliberately letting the RM to depreciate against the SGD to stimulate their own economy. Considering the large numbers of Mat working in sinkie land and the export of goods to SG, it is worthwhile to accept the depreciation and screw sinkie land at the same time.
Nope. Its the malaysian government not able to reduce their debt. always spending above (deficit budget getting bigger) their means and subsidising many things unnecessarily, like diesel/petrol, the two biggest subsidies. If they cut off the subsidies, the gomen scared lose votes and power. So continue until maybe too much too bear.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
let's say got mrt to johor, will it decrease the rental demand of sg properties?

It may. So not in interest of sin gomen to introduce MRT. That is why constant delay on all sorts of public transportation system between the two cities.
If they want a quick solution for the MRT, a high frequency tram system can be introduce between JB sentral to woodlands station. That means JB folks will have access to Changi (international airport) and work places and sinkies to JB for all sorts of reasons.