• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

[Sg] - Who is more learned & wise? Shanmugam & Bilahari Kausikan discuss the Middle East's 'revolutionary' changes

UltimaOnline

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
bilashan.jpg

Shanmugam, who previously served as Foreign Affairs Minister, took part in a dialogue session titled the Middle East and the Return of Great Power Competition, with MEI's chairman Bilahari Kausikan, himself a former Permanent Secretary of Foreign Affairs.

The session, an unscripted back and forth between the two, was a wide ranging look at the various challenges faced by the region, its position between great powers, and the economic and social changes it faces.

Shanmugam said religion has become "part of the tools that is employed in politics", and added:

"... certain ways of practising the faith, certain historical interpretations of the faith, and certain ways of identifying yourself as part of the faith and being exclusive and being different from others, are being pushed by politicians."

“And I think Arab leadership will be very aware and wary of that issue. So real security and peace, I think, can only come when a sensible and honourable solution is found for the Palestinian issue," Shanmugam said.

But the situation where “women and children are getting killed on both sides” risked seeing passions inflamed.

Shanmugam said, "Often Israel bears the brunt of the negative public opinion in such situations. You know, whether it is misimpressions being created, or whether it is disproportionate, or whether it is propaganda. The question is, what is the bottom-line impact?"

He said that among many people of his age, Israel is seen as an "underdog" and a "shining star", while today many in the middle ground would be tempted to see Israel as being aggressive or overly aggressive.

"That's unfortunate for Israel, I think. The Palestinian situation – Israel did try to resolve it. You know, there are many actors who have to take responsibility for the issue not being resolved, including an assassination in Israel, but the situation is as it is. I worry about the Palestine situation."

https://mothership.sg/2023/06/shanmugam-bilahari-mei-annual-conference/

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
They never di mention that arabs were colonised by turks from 1258 until 100 years ago.those monarchs you see in the gulf were created by the brits. The french created the republics in lebanon and syria but only after the turks lost WWI.