• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

[Sg] - 'Stingy, calculative and inconsiderate': Owner of train-themed cafe blames errant customers for business closure

UltimaOnline

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
1649853253239.png

1649853273910.png

He may have sunk his entire life savings into his cafe, but Isaac D'Souza is just about ready to call it quits.

His railway-themed cafe Shinjuku Kissa Tetsudo will be closing permanently on May 18, just seven months after its official opening at 111 Somerset, the 24-year-old confirmed to AsiaOne.

The reason for its closure? Isaac candidly points to errant customers as the largest factor in his decision.

"The honest answer is largely due to the bulk of customers being very stingy, calculative and inconsiderate to the business," he said.

Shinjuku Kissa Tetsudo was born out of Isaac's love for trains, and features a train diorama put together by the man himself.

However, Isaac said his biggest mistake was setting up his main attraction in full view of passersby.

"We have been struggling to bring in revenue due to the fact that people would rather watch from outside."

The situation did not improve even after the cafe set up a privacy screen and implemented a $10 exhibition fee, Isaac said, explaining that some parents would hoist their kids on their shoulders so they could peek over the screen.

"Not only is it dangerous, it's so rude. I don't know why I'm doing this. Because I'm putting in so much effort, putting in money. And then you come here and behave like this."

His other woes include seat hogs — the cafe only has eight seats and two tatami mats — as well as patrons who try to "do all sorts of funny things just to spend less".

Isaac claims that he's had one woman ask if she could purchase just one drink in order for her grandson to enter the cafe alone and play with the trains there.

"It's really, really insulting. Not only do you not have respect for me, but you also want me to look after your children for you."

Armed with a PSLE certificate and a passion for trains​

Isaac was inspired to set up Shinjuku Kissa Tetsudo after visiting similar cafes in Japan, he told the Straits Times in an interview last year.

Diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome, dyslexia and dyscalculia at the age of 15, he found school miserable, and trains were one of the few things that brought him joy.

While the Primary School Leaving Examination (PSLE) certificate holder has worked several part-time jobs, from dishwasher to waiter, he eventually decided to marry his love for trains and Japanese coffee and set up his very own business.

Unfortunately, with the lack of revenue and low footfall, Isaac told AsiaOne his business is "bleeding money" every month.

Aside from the initial $250,000 he invested into the business, he says he's also been struggling to cover his operating costs, putting his total losses at an estimated $300,000.

As a result, he's had to make the tough call to wind up the business before his lease ends.

Nevertheless, he still has a passion for trains and hopes to give the cafe business a try again, provided he has the funds.

"But no parents and no children. Because they are the worst of the worst," he emphasised.

https://www.asiaone.com/lifestyle/s...ner-train-themed-cafe-blames-errant-customers

https://railtravelstation.com/shinjuku-kissa-tetsudo/

https://forums.fuckwarezone.com.sg/...rrant-customers-for-business-closure.6731630/

Last edited:

maxsanic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wow! How did a 24 year old guy working as a waiter and dishwasher amass a fortune of $250k to invest? And to lose $300k in just 7 months!? How does that work?

It seems to me this reporter did no investigative journalism on his own and simply regurgitated what the store owner said. I also find some of his complaints a little too much - what's wrong with people looking at your trains from outside? And charging people $10 just because they stand outside your shop to look at your trains?

Lots of stores have unique decorations to encourage shoppers to stop outside for a look and in reality only a small proportion of them eventually walk inside to buy something. Do other store owners go around accusing shoppers for being stingy and just look from the outside without buying?

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sinkies really don’t deserve nice things. That’s why only can open overpriced and everywhere also can see usual shit brands such as
- Soo Kee
- Uniqlo
- Owndays
- Mcdonalds